Forums / Games / Halo: The Master Chief Collection (PC)

Lets talk about text chat, options, blur, etc.

OP SeatedBasher099

Hello Spartans.

I just do not see the point of the blur effect what so ever, other than to forcefully draw the eye which most of us are surely aware this can be distracting and annoying. This slightly makes you see some of the undesirable remarks. If this blur effect was removed I wouldn't really care and would leave chat on if given the option. However, in its current state, let's be honest most of us would probably just disable it for said reasons.

Sometimes I almost feel bad making callouts in text chat because I know how distracting/annoying the blur is.

When (If) 343 decides to add the ability to disable text chat (and they should) I think people will turn it off entirely just because they're sick of the blur distracting them by taking up precious screen space, making MMC on PC even more anti-social then it can feel at times.

Also the ability to rebind the chat key would be a blessing. J is completely random and silly. In addition, making the team chat channel the default in team matches would be nice to incentivize more team communication. It's clunky and takes up valuable time to have to hit "J" then "Tab" however many times till you find the correct channel when trying to make a callout. The extra mile would be to allow us to bind each of the chat channels separately, this would be the ideal implementation in my opinion.

Question: Does muting someone also ignore them from text chat? I think I tried to mute everyone during a flame war and the texts still persisted if I remember correctly. Sometimes chat can go a little too far. If that's not a thing it probably should be.

I think it would take minimal dev time to implement these changes and make the game more enjoyable. I'm curious if this annoys you just as much as me.
Really wish I could just turn it off. I hate seeing it. Im just trying to play and not talk to people lol
Slim Haley wrote:
Really wish I could just turn it off. I hate seeing it. Im just trying to play and not talk to people lol
Agreed. That should have been an option from day 1. Kind of silly how It's not there.

The number of times I'm just trying to focus and someone says something and I look down, I can't help for my eyes go down to the right. it's like a pop-up, near impossible to ignore it entirely without at least taking a glimpse.

Communication can be vital. Especially in objective-based game modes. I hope we get more options for chat other than toggling it on or off but at this point, even that would be greatly appreciated.

I'm confident if they remove the blur it will be much less annoying to look at.
Honestly I wish more people used the voice chat and not the text chat. I so like the idea of less blur or at least letting us decide the size of it.
I absolutely love the inclusion of the text chat. I haven't had any issues with the "blur", however, I fully agree that both the voice key and the text chat key need to be able to be rebound. It'd be a shame to see the text chat get removed, however, I do feel like there might be a way to enhance it further.
Honestly I wish more people used the voice chat and not the text chat. I so like the idea of less blur or at least letting us decide the size of it.
It's sad to see so few using it compared to the classics. I feel when it is rarely used I feel it's misused almost exclusively for silly banter which is fine and does not surprise me in the slightest but not how I hoped people would be using it.
I absolutely love the inclusion of the text chat. I haven't had any issues with the "blur", however, I fully agree that both the voice key and the text chat key need to be able to be rebound. It'd be a shame to see the text chat get removed, however, I do feel like there might be a way to enhance it further.
I wasn't even aware the push to talk key was not re-bindable until now, that's just silly and really needs to be a thing. Not all people use a traditional QWERTY style keyboard. Let alone some people don't even play with WASD. Imagine trying to use push to talk set as "V" when you play with the arrow keys. One thing I'm sure we can agree PC gaming is about having as many options available every key has to be fully re-bindable. Hopefully, 343 can take this as a learning experience.

*edit below*

Good news! 343 have addressed the keybind issues.
Key BindingsWork is in progress to support rebinding both text chat and push to talk.

Source: https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/news/mcc-development-update-december-2019
I feel you- I really don't know why it's not simple. Some white text at one of the sides of the screen would literally be all that needs to be done.

Maybe keep the colors on the names (red, blue, gray) for whatever team the player is on. Add slight shadow to the text or a font-sized transparent color behind, even add a couple of options regarding preference, and you're golden.

Perhaps they considered that the weapon already counts as used space so they went that route and tried to pretty things up a bit too much down the line.
I feel you- I really don't know why it's not simple. Some white text at one of the sides of the screen would literally be all that needs to be done.

Maybe keep the colors on the names (red, blue, gray) for whatever team the player is on. Add slight shadow to the text or a font-sized transparent color behind, even add a couple of options regarding preference, and you're golden.

Perhaps they considered that the weapon already counts as used space so they went that route and tried to pretty things up a bit too much down the line.
Yes! I cannot agree more.

*edited addition*

That colourized idea makes a lot of sense. Right now it just kind of looks like a blue person is always the one saying stuff

*edit typo of colourized*
I don't get why they didn't mimic CS:GO's text chat system, which is pretty unobtrusive, colors players' names according to their team, and doesn't use any background blur at all. I wonder if anyone at 343 has ever played CS:GO before, because if they had, I feel like they wouldn't have made some of the QoL decisions they have in the MCC PC port.
There is not blur, it's an ancient form of TAA and it sucks: https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/forums/f3681fbc78fa43878c4aec9a63a46224/topics/disable-motion-blur/502952d7-1f75-45a9-a6be-93feba11bf4f/posts
Interesting read. However, did you actually read through the posts of this thread or just skim? We're not discussing those issues here. We are discussing the annoyances of text chat and how it could be improved.
There is not blur, it's an ancient form of TAA and it sucks: https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/forums/f3681fbc78fa43878c4aec9a63a46224/topics/disable-motion-blur/502952d7-1f75-45a9-a6be-93feba11bf4f/posts
The "blur" I was referring to is the blurred background of the text chat window, which I assume is present to make the text easier to read. I was not referring to motion blur, as it were.

Here is an image depicting what I was talking about.