Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Halo: The Master Chief Collection (PC)

literally what is the point of season points

OP TheHappyGoat

  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
when youre forced to spend them on the next unlock? the game should just unlock them automatically. why is it even a thing- to give players some semblance of freedom even when they dont have it? lol
I had a conversation about this with DagnirGlaurunga a few days ago and they gave an excellent (yet painful) reason why the season points are implemented in the game:

Quote:
You get 1 per level and are forced to spend it to progress. They do nothing and it might as well just be an automatic unlock.Its blatant emotional manipulation. (Gratification loop / endorphin release) Plus I dont think you can filter by unlocked stuff. So customisation itself, is slow, clunky and painful.
It's because there will be new seasons. Unlike other games with battlepass systems the old seasons won't go away when the new one comes in. You'll get to choose which season you want to spend your points in.
We need the choice to buy what armor we want again. I think instead of having everything cost 1 token make everything have its own price. So maybe a certain helmet would cost 10 tokens BUT you can buy it whenever you want. We wouldn't have to unlock literally everything else. I`m sorry but i don`t care to unlock the Hazop helmet i will never wear it lol. Let me save up so i can get the specific armor i want.
Daiyus wrote:
It's because there will be new seasons. Unlike other games with battlepass systems the old seasons won't go away when the new one comes in. You'll get to choose which season you want to spend your points in.
Other battle passes you mean for halo 3 and 4 right? Those are the only other halo games on mcc with armor customization. This new season system sucks to be completely honest. Having to unlock everything in order like i`m playing fortnite is awful.
Auzzy26 wrote:
Daiyus wrote:
It's because there will be new seasons. Unlike other games with battlepass systems the old seasons won't go away when the new one comes in. You'll get to choose which season you want to spend your points in.
Other battle passes you mean for halo 3 and 4 right? Those are the only other halo games on mcc with armor customization. This new season system sucks to be completely honest. Having to unlock everything in order like i`m playing fortnite is awful.
All we know is that there will be other seasons. What they'll entail is only known by 343i at this point. The season system is what people refer to as a battlepass system.
They better add more armors in season 2 or otherwise this is the dumbest progression system ever
Daiyus wrote:
It's because there will be new seasons. Unlike other games with battlepass systems the old seasons won't go away when the new one comes in. You'll get to choose which season you want to spend your points in.
Exactly right lol. If people thought about it for like 2 minutes they'd realize that is why
Daiyus wrote:
It's because there will be new seasons. Unlike other games with battlepass systems the old seasons won't go away when the new one comes in. You'll get to choose which season you want to spend your points in.
Exactly right lol. If people thought about it for like 2 minutes they'd realize that is why
Still, doesn't make it less awful
It's so they can monetize the system later on with season packs and other microtransactions.

Prove me wrong lads.
It's so they can monetize the system later on with season packs and other microtransactions.

Prove me wrong lads.
They will never monetize this game.
Slickini wrote:
It's so they can monetize the system later on with season packs and other microtransactions.

Prove me wrong lads.
They will never monetize this game.
Screen shotted for the future
Daiyus wrote:
It's because there will be new seasons. Unlike other games with battlepass systems the old seasons won't go away when the new one comes in. You'll get to choose which season you want to spend your points in.
Exactly right lol. If people thought about it for like 2 minutes they'd realize that is why
When Season #2 comes out, you still have to unlock everything in Season #1 if you want that one armor piece that is granted in the last unlocks of season 1. If you thought about it for 2 minutes you'd realize that it changes nothing.

The current unlock system blows, coming and going of new seasons makes it no better.

As Auzzy26 said, it would be better if certain items cost a certain amount. For example all shoulder pads are 10 Tokens, all helmets are 20 tokens, or something like that. Then there would actually be a point in having tokens in the first place, and you would have something to look forward to when saving your tokens for the thing you want most.
TuuMilk wrote:
Daiyus wrote:
It's because there will be new seasons. Unlike other games with battlepass systems the old seasons won't go away when the new one comes in. You'll get to choose which season you want to spend your points in.
Exactly right lol. If people thought about it for like 2 minutes they'd realize that is why
When Season #2 comes out, you still have to unlock everything in Season #1 if you want that one armor piece that is granted in the last unlocks of season 1. If you thought about it for 2 minutes you'd realize that it changes nothing.

The current unlock system blows, coming and going of new seasons makes it no better.

As Auzzy26 said, it would be better if certain items cost a certain amount. For example all shoulder pads are 10 Tokens, all helmets are 20 tokens, or something like that. Then there would actually be a point in having tokens in the first place, and you would have something to look forward to when saving your tokens for the thing you want most.
How many seasons can there even be? It looks like everything is already unlocked in the first one. Are they going to add new stuff or something?
TuuMilk wrote:
Daiyus wrote:
It's because there will be new seasons. Unlike other games with battlepass systems the old seasons won't go away when the new one comes in. You'll get to choose which season you want to spend your points in.
Exactly right lol. If people thought about it for like 2 minutes they'd realize that is why
When Season #2 comes out, you still have to unlock everything in Season #1 if you want that one armor piece that is granted in the last unlocks of season 1. If you thought about it for 2 minutes you'd realize that it changes nothing.

The current unlock system blows, coming and going of new seasons makes it no better.

As Auzzy26 said, it would be better if certain items cost a certain amount. For example all shoulder pads are 10 Tokens, all helmets are 20 tokens, or something like that. Then there would actually be a point in having tokens in the first place, and you would have something to look forward to when saving your tokens for the thing you want most.
How many seasons can there even be? It looks like everything is already unlocked in the first one. Are they going to add new stuff or something?
They don't even -Yoinking!- know what they are doing dude
TuuMilk wrote:
Daiyus wrote:
It's because there will be new seasons. Unlike other games with battlepass systems the old seasons won't go away when the new one comes in. You'll get to choose which season you want to spend your points in.
Exactly right lol. If people thought about it for like 2 minutes they'd realize that is why
When Season #2 comes out, you still have to unlock everything in Season #1 if you want that one armor piece that is granted in the last unlocks of season 1. If you thought about it for 2 minutes you'd realize that it changes nothing.

The current unlock system blows, coming and going of new seasons makes it no better.

As Auzzy26 said, it would be better if certain items cost a certain amount. For example all shoulder pads are 10 Tokens, all helmets are 20 tokens, or something like that. Then there would actually be a point in having tokens in the first place, and you would have something to look forward to when saving your tokens for the thing you want most.
I never said I like the new system; I merely stated how it's going to work. When we get multiple seasons you can choose to progress the season of your choice, hence the need for a system with points that can be spent, as opposed to an automatic unlock system. That's the answer to the OP's question of why there are points when there's only one place to spend them in a linear manner.

Off-topic, but in answer to your point, I agree with you. I don't like this linear approach to unlocks, and I hate the fact it's restricted to multiplayer only as well.
Gotta bring in the Fortnite kiddies and be with the times. Times being season pass stupidity.
TuuMilk wrote:
Daiyus wrote:
It's because there will be new seasons. Unlike other games with battlepass systems the old seasons won't go away when the new one comes in. You'll get to choose which season you want to spend your points in.
Exactly right lol. If people thought about it for like 2 minutes they'd realize that is why
When Season #2 comes out, you still have to unlock everything in Season #1 if you want that one armor piece that is granted in the last unlocks of season 1. If you thought about it for 2 minutes you'd realize that it changes nothing.

The current unlock system blows, coming and going of new seasons makes it no better.

As Auzzy26 said, it would be better if certain items cost a certain amount. For example all shoulder pads are 10 Tokens, all helmets are 20 tokens, or something like that. Then there would actually be a point in having tokens in the first place, and you would have something to look forward to when saving your tokens for the thing you want most.
The coins make it so you don’t lose access to everything in season 1 once season 2 rolls around and they let you choose which season to unlock things in. So yes they do change stuff from the traditional battlepass formula. But yeah this unlock system does suck. Ut oh well. I doubt they’ll change it at this point.
TuuMilk wrote:
Daiyus wrote:
It's because there will be new seasons. Unlike other games with battlepass systems the old seasons won't go away when the new one comes in. You'll get to choose which season you want to spend your points in.
Exactly right lol. If people thought about it for like 2 minutes they'd realize that is why
When Season #2 comes out, you still have to unlock everything in Season #1 if you want that one armor piece that is granted in the last unlocks of season 1. If you thought about it for 2 minutes you'd realize that it changes nothing.

The current unlock system blows, coming and going of new seasons makes it no better.

As Auzzy26 said, it would be better if certain items cost a certain amount. For example all shoulder pads are 10 Tokens, all helmets are 20 tokens, or something like that. Then there would actually be a point in having tokens in the first place, and you would have something to look forward to when saving your tokens for the thing you want most.
The coins make it so you don’t lose access to everything in season 1 once season 2 rolls around and they let you choose which season to unlock things in. So yes they do change stuff from the traditional battlepass formula. But yeah this unlock system does suck. Ut oh well. I doubt they’ll change it at this point.
I think theres actually a good chance there will be changes made. I recall in one of the previous updates, 343 said they're aware the season system has flaws, and they were going to follow feedback, and continue to evolve it on that. I suspect the seasons will "change" with game releases. If you notice, the current season is "Noble" and it contains most (all?) Of Reach's cosmetics. So I expect the system to evolve as future seasons release. That said, season points will be transferrable. You can earn them, and buy cosmetics with them in any game, once they're out. That's just how I see it though, so take it as you will :)
TuuMilk wrote:
Daiyus wrote:
It's because there will be new seasons. Unlike other games with battlepass systems the old seasons won't go away when the new one comes in. You'll get to choose which season you want to spend your points in.
Exactly right lol. If people thought about it for like 2 minutes they'd realize that is why
When Season #2 comes out, you still have to unlock everything in Season #1 if you want that one armor piece that is granted in the last unlocks of season 1. If you thought about it for 2 minutes you'd realize that it changes nothing.

The current unlock system blows, coming and going of new seasons makes it no better.

As Auzzy26 said, it would be better if certain items cost a certain amount. For example all shoulder pads are 10 Tokens, all helmets are 20 tokens, or something like that. Then there would actually be a point in having tokens in the first place, and you would have something to look forward to when saving your tokens for the thing you want most.
The coins make it so you don’t lose access to everything in season 1 once season 2 rolls around and they let you choose which season to unlock things in. So yes they do change stuff from the traditional battlepass formula. But yeah this unlock system does suck. Ut oh well. I doubt they’ll change it at this point.
I think theres actually a good chance there will be changes made. I recall in one of the previous updates, 343 said they're aware the season system has flaws, and they were going to follow feedback, and continue to evolve it on that. I suspect the seasons will "change" with game releases. If you notice, the current season is "Noble" and it contains most (all?) Of Reach's cosmetics. So I expect the system to evolve as future seasons release. That said, season points will be transferrable. You can earn them, and buy cosmetics with them in any game, once they're out. That's just how I see it though, so take it as you will :)
That's great news! Thanks for your reply man! I hope they do take the feedback. Like I respect the fact that they were trying to improve but tbh the old system worked great. Also I would not mind at ALL if they just relocked all of the Halo 3 and Halo 2 armor and made us actually have to work for it. Since the game launched with everything unlocked its not like they're taking anything that we actually earned.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2