Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Halo: The Master Chief Collection (PC)

literally what is the point of season points

OP TheHappyGoat

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
It's a future proofing thing. At the moment there is only one season, so you can only spend it on the next item in the only season. However when season 2 comes out you will be able to go back and finish the previous season. Having the points system means that when you have a point, you can chose which season to spend it in.
TuuMilk wrote:
Daiyus wrote:
It's because there will be new seasons. Unlike other games with battlepass systems the old seasons won't go away when the new one comes in. You'll get to choose which season you want to spend your points in.
Exactly right lol. If people thought about it for like 2 minutes they'd realize that is why
When Season #2 comes out, you still have to unlock everything in Season #1 if you want that one armor piece that is granted in the last unlocks of season 1. If you thought about it for 2 minutes you'd realize that it changes nothing.

The current unlock system blows, coming and going of new seasons makes it no better.

As Auzzy26 said, it would be better if certain items cost a certain amount. For example all shoulder pads are 10 Tokens, all helmets are 20 tokens, or something like that. Then there would actually be a point in having tokens in the first place, and you would have something to look forward to when saving your tokens for the thing you want most.
The coins make it so you don’t lose access to everything in season 1 once season 2 rolls around and they let you choose which season to unlock things in. So yes they do change stuff from the traditional battlepass formula. But yeah this unlock system does suck. Ut oh well. I doubt they’ll change it at this point.
I think theres actually a good chance there will be changes made. I recall in one of the previous updates, 343 said they're aware the season system has flaws, and they were going to follow feedback, and continue to evolve it on that. I suspect the seasons will "change" with game releases. If you notice, the current season is "Noble" and it contains most (all?) Of Reach's cosmetics. So I expect the system to evolve as future seasons release. That said, season points will be transferrable. You can earn them, and buy cosmetics with them in any game, once they're out. That's just how I see it though, so take it as you will :)
That's great news! Thanks for your reply man! I hope they do take the feedback. Like I respect the fact that they were trying to improve but tbh the old system worked great. Also I would not mind at ALL if they just relocked all of the Halo 3 and Halo 2 armor and made us actually have to work for it. Since the game launched with everything unlocked its not like they're taking anything that we actually earned.
I'm indifferent on the progression to be frank. I totally agree with everyone, that the linear unlocks are silly, because at least to some extent, it makes Spartans less unique, because everyone at the same level, has the same gear. What I do like, is the prestiging (tours) and gaps between levels. It can feel grindy, but only towards the end of a tour, and nowhere near the level of original Reach (looking at you 3.5 million credit level gaps). I think if they had a different system for unlocking gear, it would feel better. I also know challenges have been confirmed as coming, like dailies/weeklies (at least I presume that would be the format). These have been confirmed to award season points upon completion, which also means we may finally be able to win season points in campaign. Best bet right now is to be constructive, and provide good feedback on the season system, so that they can hear us!
Auzzy26 wrote:
We need the choice to buy what armor we want again. I think instead of having everything cost 1 token make everything have its own price. So maybe a certain helmet would cost 10 tokens BUT you can buy it whenever you want. We wouldn't have to unlock literally everything else. I`m sorry but i don`t care to unlock the Hazop helmet i will never wear it lol. Let me save up so i can get the specific armor i want.
Of course because now the game progression can’t select What can i Unlock.... i want to Unlock the Mark VI helmet and shoulder but i must reach the level 87!!!!!
Slickini wrote:
It's so they can monetize the system later on with season packs and other microtransactions.

Prove me wrong lads.
They will never monetize this game.
Doubtful. Nothing stopped them from shoving microtransactions into Halo 5.
TrevMizer wrote:
Slickini wrote:
It's so they can monetize the system later on with season packs and other microtransactions.

Prove me wrong lads.
Why would they monetize 10 years old games? That doesn't make any senses. They confirmed there no plans. If they plan, then the devs would be mentally ill.
Slickini wrote:
TrevMizer wrote:
Slickini wrote:

Prove me wrong lads.
Why would they monetize 10 years old games? That doesn't make any senses. They confirmed there no plans. If they plan, then the devs would be mentally ill.
For money? That's the reason for anything they do. Not sure why that's so hard for you to understand.
TrevMizer wrote:
Slickini wrote:
TrevMizer wrote:
Slickini wrote:

Prove me wrong lads.
For money? That's the reason for anything they do. Not sure why that's so hard for you to understand.
They won't.
It's so you can cry while you try to get back Pestilence and Gungnir when you buy Chest Pieces and shoulders you never use.
TrevMizer wrote:
Slickini wrote:
TrevMizer wrote:
Slickini wrote:

Prove me wrong lads.
True, micro-transactions are made for money, that's a given, but I'm highly doubtful 343 has plans to monetize MCC. I mean, the collection is years old already, why would they change it several years after release to add monetization, instead of at launch, or shortly after? Seems a little too hard to believe for me, not because of a lack of greed, but because the game is dated a bit now, and there would huge backlash if they did.
At first I figured that when everything is unlocked you can save them for other games/seasons. But now I'm not so sure if the token will ever be useful. In reach you need both a high enough level and a token to unlock armor. It would make sense for the other games to follow the same criteria of needing the high enough level and enough tokens. But if you need to level for each game individually, you will always have enough tokens to unlock the gear available for your level. I don't see why a global credit system can't work. Basically why can't the reach credit system was applied to the MCC as a whole? If tokens are transferable, why can't credits be?
JayGEL44 wrote:
At first I figured that when everything is unlocked you can save them for other games/seasons. But now I'm not so sure if the token will ever be useful. In reach you need both a high enough level and a token to unlock armor. It would make sense for the other games to follow the same criteria of needing the high enough level and enough tokens. But if you need to level for each game individually, you will always have enough tokens to unlock the gear available for your level. I don't see why a global credit system can't work. Basically why can't the reach credit system was applied to the MCC as a whole? If tokens are transferable, why can't credits be?
I'm not sure if I follow your post 100%, but if I do, you're saying points arent transferrable, and armor is bound to level? If that is what you're saying, you'll be happy to know, it's not true. Armor pieces arent necessarily bound to level, they're just obtainable in a specific order. Theres no level requirements for armor in MCC, just season points. So say you make it to tier 100 in Reach, and you save up 30 season points after that, you can take those to say Halo 3 (when it's out) and buy the first 30 tiers of unlocks. That's at least how I understand it, please correct me if I'm wrong though. :)
JayGEL44 wrote:
It would make sense for the other games to follow the same criteria of needing the high enough level and enough tokens. But if you need to level for each game individually, you will always have enough tokens to unlock the gear available for your level. I don't see why a global credit system can't work. Basically why can't the reach credit system was applied to the MCC as a whole? If tokens are transferable, why can't credits be?
Aren't Halo Reach and Halo 3 the only games with unlockable armour anyway? And in Halo 3 the number of different armor pieces is much lower so I think (and hope) that the token system does not apply into it.

I hope in Halo 3 they keep the original unlock system and only grant armor pieces from completing different achievements. I think that was the perfect way to get armor, very few different pieces but people knew that if you had one, you worked (at least a bit) for it.

Edit: Forgot Halo 4 exists and has armor customization too. But the previous games outshine it in my opinion anyway.
JayGEL44 wrote:
I'm not sure if I follow your post 100%, but if I do, you're saying points arent transferrable, and armor is bound to level? If that is what you're saying, you'll be happy to know, it's not true. Armor pieces arent necessarily bound to level, they're just obtainable in a specific order. Theres no level requirements for armor in MCC, just season points. So say you make it to tier 100 in Reach, and you save up 30 season points after that, you can take those to say Halo 3 (when it's out) and buy the first 30 tiers of unlocks. That's at least how I understand it, please correct me if I'm wrong though. :)
Oh okay, I thought I read somewhere that to unlock something you had to have both the tokens and the level to unlock it and having reach be completely linear the way it is makes it seem like the unlocks are tethered to level as well as tokens. So what youre saying is that if I play reach a lot and have a ton of tokens when Halo 4 releases I can unlock every armor set before I even play any halo 4 matches?
JayGEL44 wrote:
JayGEL44 wrote:
Oh okay, I thought I read somewhere that to unlock something you had to have both the tokens and the level to unlock it and having reach be completely linear the way it is makes it seem like the unlocks are tethered to level as well as tokens. So what youre saying is that if I play reach a lot and have a ton of tokens when Halo 4 releases I can unlock every armor set before I even play any halo 4 matches?
Theoretically, yes, if you have enough points :)
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2