Skip to main content
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 6
As you can see by the title I want Big Team Battle (BTB) to be a ranked playlist. Do I expect it to be a permanent ranked playlist? No I do not. I expect at the very least for the playlist to be a rotational ranked playlist with rewards! I think the playlist should be out for at least 1 month.

Gametypes & Maps
Slayer - Avalanche, Last Resort, Longshore, Rat's Nest, Sandtrap, Standoff, Valhalla
CTF - Avalanche, Sandtrap, Standoff, Valhalla
Neutral Bomb - Avalanche, Rat's Nest
1 Flag - Last Resort, Longshore

Notes
- Slayer - Time Limit: 15 Minutes, Vehicle Set: No Tanks
- CTF / Neutral Bomb - Time Limit: 20 Minutes, 1 Minute of Sudden Death, Vehicle Set: No Tanks
- 1 Flag - 4 Rounds, 4 Minutes, 30 Seconds of Sudden Death, Vehicle Set: Map Default

Matching
- Open 1-50 rank matching just like Invasion.
- Team Matching: Partial Team. Teams of 4 can match 1, 2, 3, 4. Teams of 5 can match other teams of 5, 6, 7, 8.

Rewards
- Double / Triple EXP
- Make it to where if you achieve level 20 or higher you get a special weapon skin just like Recon Slayer
- Tie in challenges to this playlist for more EXP & Seasonal Points & possibly even nameplates
- The rank itself
As you can see by the title I want Big Team Battle (BTB) to be a ranked playlist. Do I expect it to be a permanent ranked playlist? No I do not. I expect at the very least for these playlist to be rotational ranked playlist with rewards! I think H2C BTB Skirmish should be in for 1 month then rotate out with H3 BTB then 1 month later H2C BTB Skirmish should rotate back in etc.
H2C BTB SkirmishCTF - Coagulation, Containment, Waterworks
1 Flag - Burial Mounds, Headlong, Relic, Terminal, Zanzibar
Neutral Bomb - Coagulation, Containment, Waterworks

Notes- I didn't include the gametpyes Multi Bomb and 1 Bomb because those gamemodes force a lot of ties. You always want a winner especially in ranked.
- I didn't include Slayer because the starting spawns are random and the spawns overall are terrible in Slayer on H2C.
- I didn't include District and Uplift because those maps are not competitively viable. Both maps heavily favor one side.
- I think this 11 gametype / map combination IMO gives the most balanced variety of the best competitive gametype / map combinations H2C BTB has to offer. 6 Symmetrical Objectives and 5 Asymmetrical 1 Sided Objectives.

Halo 3 BTBSlayer - Avalanche, Last Resort, Longshore, Rat's Nest, Sandtarp, Sandbox, Standoff, Valhalla
CTF - Avalanche, Sandbox, Standoff, Valhalla

Notes
- I didn't include the gametpyes Multi Bomb and 1 Bomb because those gamemodes force a lot of ties. You always want a winner especially in ranked.
- I didn't include Neutral Bomb on any other maps because those games ultimately end up in ties.
- I didn't include any of the Sandbox variants except Sandbox itself because that's the only version of the map I see as competitive.
- I didn't include Sandtarp CTF because it's not a competitively viable. Red team has a huge competitive advantage over blue team.
- I see 16 gametype / map combinations as good variety. 8 Slayers and 8 Objectives is a perfect balance.

Matching- Open 1-50 Matching just like Invasion so you're not stuck if you become to high a level. You always want to be able to find games!
- Team Matching: Partial Team. Teams of 4 can match 1, 2, 3, 4. Teams of 5 can match other teams of 5, 6, 7, 8.
Rewards- Every 5 levels you achieve one seasonal point.
- Make the playlist have 5x EXP.
- If you achieve a 50 you unlock a special exclusive nameplate that can only be achieved by getting a 50 in said playlist. Make one separate from H2C BTB Skirmish and H3 BTB.
- The rank itself.
Fully agree on this, I would love to get a ranked BTB 50! Also sweaty 8v8s are fantastic
I don’t think there’s a good logistical reason this can’t happen. Invasion is highly played in the same vein, and BTB has been a massively popular staple since its inception. I believe the population would do well, and I encourage any dissenters to be open to ranked MCC BTB to at least collect data if nothing else.

Let’s see it!
Ranked BTB (or even Squad Battle, 6v6) making a return to Halo 3 would be amazing. I can only hope there's a big enough population for it though. Back during the heyday of 3 it became super-difficult to find a RBTB match once you got into the 40s. There'd only be 1 or 2 teams searching at a time, and most of them would dashboard if they matched another team and not randoms. And then of course the TSGH kids that would ruin everyone's day with their illegal activities.

I would *love* to see it come back, but I fear it wouldn't last very long.

Meagss I C U thar.
As you can see by the title I want Big Team Battle (BTB) to be a ranked playlist. Do I expect it to be a permanent ranked playlist? No I do not. I expect at the very least for these playlist to be rotational ranked playlist with rewards! I think H2C BTB Skirmish should be in for 1 month then rotate out with H3 BTB then 1 month later H2C BTB Skirmish should rotate back in etc.
H2C BTB SkirmishCTF - Coagulation, Containment, Waterworks
1 Flag - Burial Mounds, Headlong, Relic, Terminal, Zanzibar
Neutral Bomb - Coagulation, Containment, Waterworks

Notes- I didn't include the gametpyes Multi Bomb and 1 Bomb because those gamemodes force a lot of ties. You always want a winner especially in ranked.
- I didn't include Slayer because the starting spawns are random and the spawns overall are terrible in Slayer on H2C.
- I didn't include District and Uplift because those maps are not competitively viable. Both maps heavily favor one side.
- I think this 11 gametype / map combination IMO gives the most balanced variety of the best competitive gametype / map combinations H2C BTB has to offer. 6 Symmetrical Objectives and 5 Asymmetrical 1 Sided Objectives.

Halo 3 BTBSlayer - Avalanche, Last Resort, Longshore, Rat's Nest, Sandtarp, Sandbox, Standoff, Valhalla
CTF - Avalanche, Sandbox, Standoff, Valhalla

Notes
- I didn't include the gametpyes Multi Bomb and 1 Bomb because those gamemodes force a lot of ties. You always want a winner especially in ranked.
- I didn't include Neutral Bomb on any other maps because those games ultimately end up in ties.
- I didn't include any of the Sandbox variants except Sandbox itself because that's the only version of the map I see as competitive.
- I didn't include Sandtarp CTF because it's not a competitively viable. Red team has a huge competitive advantage over blue team.
- I see 16 gametype / map combinations as good variety. 8 Slayers and 8 Objectives is a perfect balance.

Matching- Open 1-50 Matching just like Invasion so you're not stuck if you become to high a level. You always want to be able to find games!
Rewards- Every 5 levels you achieve one seasonal point.
- Make the playlist have 5x EXP.
- If you achieve a 50 you unlock a special exclusive nameplate that can only be achieved by getting a 50 in said playlist. Make one separate from H2C BTB Skirmish and H3 BTB.
- The rank itself.
I 100% agree with everything said. I don’t think I can name one reason that this can’t be accomplished. After all halo 5 had its ranked rotational playlists and if anything it’s popping and so does mcc social so the resources are clearly there. Incentives to play the playlist is even something that’s extremely needed and will help keep a steady population throughout the rotation of h3 and h2c as I’m sure there are many fans of both. Social btb’s matches can be found instantly regardless of the region you’re playing on and with incentives to play the playlist, I’m 90% sure that more players would play the playlist especially with the 1 month rotation and who knows maybe other halos could be added in! As of the matching, invasions matching system is pretty perfect to fit in with this playlist with partial team being added. I’ve searched invasion this rank reset and have gotten a 50 along with many other people with constant matches and with new players and teams playing the playlist day after day and most of the games were pretty close. Some wont be not fair because players leave. I also thinking the ban should be heavier for purposely leaving a ranked game and the team shouldn’t heavily lose their rank because of it.
can only hope there's a big enough population for it though. Back during the heyday of 3 it became super-difficult to find a RBTB match once you got into the 40s.

I would *love* to see it come back, but I fear it wouldn't last very long.
That's why I said open 1-50 matching just like Invasion! The difference between this playlist and the social version would be there are more incentives and higher party counts means teams matching other teams. Also I don't expect for these playlist to last forever I just want them to exist and be rotational.
Even if you don't like h2 or h3 you can't disagree with this assessment. I would like to see some form of revision to MCC btb as well. Also considering the next titles release date being postponed gives time to try something out. Or some1 can just put this man on payroll.
I like this a lot considering how neglected BTB has been from 343. Would be nice to have something other than hardcore sprinkled into the rotation. I guess the big question would be whether or not to leave social up? It would split the population, but I know a lot of players enjoy the casual side of BTB. Maybe have social BTB only include game options not in ranked? Like Hill, snipers, etc... The game modes and maps selected by OP are well thought out and I can't think of anything to change. Even took out assualt Valhalla which also ends in a tie most times unless one team is just that much better than the other team and is curb-stomping them.
I think Ranked BTB is a great idea.
Definitely agree on this. BTB should be ranked on MCC and (hopefully) Halo Infinite when the time comes.
Would be great to see rotational ranked playlists period. You could even make Invasion into a rotational playlist that would rotate out with this. Would maybe throw in some classic H3 BTB gametypes like 1 Flag on SandTARP or Multiflag / 1 Flag on Rat's Nest which all played fairly well back in the day.

Partial matching is probably the way to go, even if it does massively favor people searching in teams of 4 or 8. Unless changes are made to MCC's matching or ranking system there is no better alternative though. Without partial matching teams of 8 would only match randoms because of how hard it is for teams to match teams with no party matching.

The rewards are maybe somewhat excessive, but at the very least a rotating double exp for ranked playlists would be nice so that ranked playlists would be more populated for a day or something. The nameplate for a 50 in the playlist should probably just be a nameplate for being a 50 in any playlist, otherwise we're just designing a nameplate for <20 people. Seasonal points every 5 levels could maybe even be challenges in general involving rotational ranked playlists or any ranked playlist.
Giga wrote:
Would be great to see rotational ranked playlists period. You could even make Invasion into a rotational playlist that would rotate out with this. Would maybe throw in some classic H3 BTB gametypes like 1 Flag on SandTARP or Multiflag / 1 Flag on Rat's Nest which all played fairly well back in the day.

The rewards are maybe somewhat excessive, but at the very least a rotating double exp for ranked playlists would be nice so that ranked playlists would be more populated for a day or something. The nameplate for a 50 in the playlist should probably just be a nameplate for being a 50 in any playlist, otherwise we're just designing a nameplate for <20 people. Seasonal points every 5 levels could maybe even be challenges in general involving rotational ranked playlists or any ranked playlist.
Yeah you're 100% right they should rotate out Invasion for this playlist and maybe even make it apart of the rotational lineup. Also IMO I think they should just do the gametype / map combination I put in the OP at first. I know there were a lot of different gametypes back in the day like in H2C BTB Skirmish they had Land Grab on Containment, 3 Plots on Terminal or even Flag Wars (Neutral Flag) on Waterworks but I'd rather just play the best stuff. As for rewards I think it should be ridiculous. Heavily incentives people and they will care.
The ranked selections a whole need a bit of an overhaul. Including H3 BTB with the same search settings as Invasion would certainly work. There are plenty of competitive people who play BTB in 2020.

The 5x XP is a good idea that should be implemented across all of ranked. That, and to a lesser but still relevant extent, the nameplate idea would help bring incentive to ranked play. Pair this with a couple better matchmaking selections (H3 BTB, H2C Team Slayer, any kind of FFA) + lower games-to-50 and 343 could really knock this one out of the park.
Your proposed plan seems well researched and properly thought out. Ranked BTB has always been popular on Halo, ever since original Halo 2 debuted it. Making the playlist(s) rotational for one month seems to address the issue of the playlists eventually dying out, which has always been a problem for ranked BTB. I think incentives such as making the playlist(s) limited time only with exclusive nameplates, 2x-5x EXP gains, seasonal points, and slightly loosened party/rank matching would allow the playlist(s) to thrive during their monthly rotation. MCC needs more diverse playlist offerings, with many staples like ranked SWAT, Snipers, FFA and OBJ being relics of the past. BTB offers the broadest range of dynamic gameplay while managing to appeal to both a casual and competitive crowd of Halo players.

I like how you trimmed the fat off of some of the map/gametype offerings as well, some of which are complete trash to play (District Slayer or Multicog Flag, for example). If the playlist(s) were ranked, some of these map and gametype combos would be both miserable to play and counter-intuitive towards rank progression. Game modes like Halo 3 Multi-bomb are flawed for a variety of reasons (unlimited sudden death, minimized skill gap, lack of popularity, the game mode wasn't in matchmaking on 360). But because matches typically end in ties, players would lose a fair amount of rank progress or even rank down from tying games frequently (ties on MCC count as a win on your record but as a loss towards your rank progress). So ditching these undesirable and non-viable gametypes is a must in my opinion.

All in all, I agree with your post completely. I think Halo 3 Ranked BTB would be the most feasible option, but there is definitely room for potential here. BTB is popular on just about every Halo game after all. 343 even admitted to adding ranked Reach Invasion in response to the demand for a ranked BTB playlist. Hopefully we see some action taken.
As Infinite has been delayed, any rotation (especially ranked BTB) would be refreshing. Rotate out Invasion ranked and replace it on a monthly basis for a larger size ranked playlist. Whether it be H2C, H3..etc.
I would definitely like to see something like this. Even if it's just a rotational playlist, it would be great for the competitive teams.
Yes Please! I would love to see a Halo 2 and Halo 3 ranked BTB playlist! Both would be super fun to play in, especially Halo 2! I agree with the maps and gametypes. I think there should be high rewards like you said 5x EXP also since it would be a rotational playlist. I feel like players would love an incentive like that, I know I would. Also nice post. Very organized and very clear as to what you would want in a ranked Halo 2 and Halo 3 BTB playlist.
It's hard enough finding ranked matches as it is, if you look at something like Invasion it has to widen the skill parameters so much it might as well not exist.

Where are all these players to support 8v8 going to come from?
Photolysis wrote:
It's hard enough finding ranked matches as it is, if you look at something like Invasion it has to widen the skill parameters so much it might as well not exist.

btb is easily one of the most populated social playlists, 100% there would be tons of teams searching if this was put in. There is a vast BTB community out there that have wanted this for a long time
Meagss wrote:
Photolysis wrote:

btb is easily one of the most populated social playlists, 100% there would be tons of teams searching if this was put in. There is a vast BTB community out there that have wanted this for a long time
And yet it can still take a while to find 8v8s.

4v4 is popular but it can still take a lot of time to find ranked games except for Team Slayer.

You can say "it's popular" but by definition 8v8 needs at least twice the number of players of Team Slayer to support it.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 6