Forums / Games / Halo: The Master Chief Collection (PC)

Map rotation, Is what’s actually killing the game.

OP WillyMcFly

As may of you may know, Halo MCC player base has lost over 85% of it since launch date. May people think it’s the controller auto aim. I believe not.

I believe what actually is killing the game is the map rotation.

On BTB, with all the gamemodes selected. I always get the same 3 DLC maps over and over and over and over, on Xbox and PC. I’ve also spoken with other people and they seem to be having the same issue. It’s very rare to get some another map that isn’t the same 3 DLC maps for BTB. Where is Spire? Where is all the old forge maps like abridge? Mtn lam lam? Delta facility? They are either there and not being selected by the map rotator or for some dumb reason 343 removed them, which I hope they didn’t because I’d be very mad if they removed the forge BTB maps.

My point is, map rotation is completely broken. I’m getting the same 3 maps over and over. Every time I get the same maps. I just go into task manager to kill the game and I go play another one. It’s human nature, if people are getting the same 2-4 maps over and over, they are gonna leave the game. Which shows in the 85% player base drop. I believe there’s over 10+ maps and over 20+ forge maps that can be used, if the map rotator uses all those maps. I’d be positive that the player base would be doing much better than it is right now.

Why is this happening?
I have no clue, I either think it’s...
1. A glitch with the map rotation
2. 343 picked DLC maps to be much more common because they were rare in the original version of reach.
either way. This shouldn’t be happening because it’s completely destroying the playerbase.

Possible fixes.
1. Return the vote system
2. Return the veto system
3. Fix the map rotation.
4. Add a map filter like Battlefield has.

To conclude, this is def killing the game. I don’t want to play because I either get (I apologize I don’t know the names) the forest DLC map, the halo 2 city map, and the map with the crashed longsword on the beach.

I want to play some Abridge, or some mtn lam lam. Or some old forge DLC maps.

Map rotation is competely broken, and if it doesn’t get fixed. It’s going to get much worse and people will go back to the old reach that had functioning map rotation (at least console players), and other games. Bring this issue to the devs. Make bug reports about this and such.

#savereach
For sure there is a lack of content which is killing the game. But controller auto aim is the deal breaker for most of the PC community and competitive community.
My theory is that the way the game decides the map is heavily out of favor for forge maps. As if it counts and votes for all the forge maps under forge world, but doesn't factor each of them individually. So in the 1 in like 6 chance that forge world gets selected as the map to play on, only then will the game decide what forge map specifically is played on.

But yes, wholeheartedly agree with you. I've only played the same 3 or 4 maps for the most part, and will only play on a forge map once every like 7 or 8 games.
Bring back map voting. Problem solved.
BTB is garbo, are certain game types tied only to certain maps?

I have been playing for nearly 60 hours and I have yet to play Hemmorage, yet I get 1 Flag on Boardwalk basically every day.
A lot of good suggestions here. Nice work. Really wish they'd bring back the old Halo Reach forge BTB maps. Really would help things out a lot.
I agree the veto system needs to come back
WillyMcFly wrote:
As may of you may know, Halo MCC player base has lost over 85% of it since launch date.
Oh jesus christ. A game losing population is not a sign that the game is "dying". Almost every game on Steam will get a surge of players day 1 and then quickly drop off. That's just how Steam and games in general work.

Arma 3 had 50k players at it's peak, now hovers around 15k players. It still gets consistent content updates and nobody would argue it's dying. Warframe had 150k players, now 50k and only the most disgruntled players will tell you Warframe is dying. HOI4 had an almost as fast drop as MCC, having a 40k peak in May 2016, before dropping to 15k in June of that year.

MCC is the same way. It had a high surge of players at it's launch due to the hype of Halo on PC. The hype wore off, and now we've stabilized to a consistent 20k Players for the past few weeks now. It's way too early to say the game is dying
Profesnol wrote:
My theory is that the way the game decides the map is heavily out of favor for forge maps. As if it counts and votes for all the forge maps under forge world, but doesn't factor each of them individually. So in the 1 in like 6 chance that forge world gets selected as the map to play on, only then will the game decide what forge map specifically is played on.

But yes, wholeheartedly agree with you. I've only played the same 3 or 4 maps for the most part, and will only play on a forge map once every like 7 or 8 games.
Yes also that.
The original reach map selector was way more balanced.

I keep getting the same maps over and over. It’s killing the game for me tbh.
I’ve played like 30 hours and I’ve only gotten a forge map once or twice. I’ve gotten boneyard twice and never once I’ve gotten spire (which is a really good map). All I’ve gotten were these 3 crappy DLC maps over and over. It’s honestly so annoying.

Ive made a bug report. You should too. Bring this to their attention.
I think they just ported in the map weighting from the 360 version of Reach, where DLC maps are still weighted higher so that players who purchased them feel like they 'got their monies worth', which is why we see Battle Creek, High Noon and Penance so damn often.
Hamel wrote:
I think they just ported in the map weighting from the 360 version of Reach, where DLC maps are still weighted higher so that players who purchased them feel like they 'got their monies worth', which is why we see Battle Creek, High Noon and Penance so damn often.
Or yea, that too. Didn’t think about it but it’s a good theory.

Problem with that is, reach had a vote system, MCC does not. So its gonna cause problems if they have the same values as the legacy game.
WillyMcFly wrote:
Hamel wrote:
Or yea, that too. Didn’t think about it but it’s a good theory.

Problem with that is, reach had a vote system, MCC does not. So its gonna cause problems if they have the same values as the legacy game.
I don't have an Xbox One but I'm pretty sure Halo 2 Anniversary (the version included in MCC) had the vote system.
For sure man. Aim Assist in competitive ranked is my second issue as to me it's not a big deal in social. But map rotation needs to be fixed asap. I'm hoping for a Veto system.
Map rotation is not what's killing the game lol. The reason the game is dying is because of

- People having an audio problem forcing people to mute the game
- People having problems launching the game
- People getting bad network connections
- Controllers have extreme AA
- DMR starts
- Progression system is terrible
- No Forge
- No Theatre
- Smaller factors such as UI not being well done, gun viewmodel also not being properly done, etc

Have all those stack up with each other and that is the reason the game is dying. It's simply a bad unfinished port.
KnightFJS wrote:
Map rotation is not what's killing the game lol. The reason the game is dying is because of

- People having an audio problem forcing people to mute the game
- People having problems launching the game
- People having bad network connections
- Controllers have extreme AA
- DMR starts
- Progression system is terrible
- No Forge
- No Theatre
- Smaller factors such as UI not being well done, gun viewmodel also not being properly done, etc

Have all those stack up with each other and that is the reason the game is dying. It's simply a bad unfinished port.
this, sad but true :/ don't forget mod/workshop support as well
feels like they only finished the bare minimum to make it at least playable before christmas
i hope they wait to work on the other ports to instead fix reach, and i REALLY hope halo 3 isn't this unfinished when they release it
it's almost like halo 2 vista all over again lol
It’s weird, I feel like everyday there’s a new favorite map that pulls over and over and over.

Also I was excited to play Reach as I remember it, Reach. I get nothing but CEA maps which are so poorly optimized for this game they practically force certain play styles and armor ability.