Skip to main content
So i'm curious as to what tools will be available to us for modding. I also understand that modding isn't at the top of the priority list in terms of bringing MCC to pc, BUT are we only gonna have Meta tag editors like Assembly and Mr. Mohawk or is gonna be like Halo CE where we can pretty much mod every aspect of the game, so like making custom campaigns, custom enemies, custom weapons, and such? Again i know this isn't a thing that will be implemented right away but still, it would be nice to know what to look forward to :)
OOO and also are you 343 bois gonna be releasing an official modding program when the time comes?
Also this could be a speculation post?
Mod support is still being debated and most likely (if 343i adds) happening post release of all the games for MCC. I believe the top priority currently is to port a stable version of the games with PC staple options like keyboard rebinding, FOV slider, several graphics options, various compatibility with a lot of different PC specs, and various different monitor support.

I would speculate that 343i will try to segregate mods from Matchmaking to prevent cheating. Which I hope customs/forge/ and coop can have mods since that has to run through servers. I have a feeling tag editors will appear either way though most likely there will be some anti cheat software to target that which I'm hoping its only Matchmaking.
As for the official modding program, who knows. Could be like Halo CE, could be like Arma 3 or Divinity Original Sin 2 with some engine editor. Could be just a official tag editor. 343i has had several talks with modders so perhaps it will be a really good modding program if 343i does have official modding support. Though I wouldn't expect modding support tools to come out anytime soon or soon after Halo 4s release on MCC PC. Though I wonder if 343i will have an insider flight for mod support testing once MCC is all out?
Halo CE modding levels will only be available if we get an official editing kit. We don't really have any info and we're not really allowed to discuss modding afaik.
Personally I don't want it because I remember some of the crazy stuff people did within Halo 2 matchmaking with modded consoles. Like a shotgun that the pellets were replaced with sniper rounds and in btb scorpion tanks with a full auto mode for the main cannon. Hated those cheaters.
Personally I don't want it because I remember some of the crazy stuff people did within Halo 2 matchmaking with modded consoles. Like a shotgun that the pellets were replaced with sniper rounds and in btb scorpion tanks with a full auto mode for the main cannon. Hated those cheaters.
There's a difference between modding and cheating. Any mods made should be limited to custom lobbies only and not games that you can accidentally get into. Games like Stellaris do it well, where you can have graphical mods and play on any server but as soon as you have gameplay changing mods everyone has to have the same mods as you to join.
Unordinal wrote:
There's a difference between modding and cheating. Any mods made should be limited to custom lobbies only and not games that you can accidentally get into. Games like Stellaris do it well, where you can have graphical mods and play on any server but as soon as you have gameplay changing mods everyone has to have the same mods as you to join.
I already see what will happen if they add that mechanic. Lobbies full of scarab/nuke assault rifle starts.... So, so many bright lights.
Unordinal wrote:
I already see what will happen if they add that mechanic. Lobbies full of scarab/nuke assault rifle starts.... So, so many bright lights.
You know there is more to modding than just projectile editing. From flood firefight to new or modified campaigns, scarab assault, new vehicles (Sparrow Hawk, Mythos, drive-able scarabs, fly-able longsword, etc) enhanced forge (texture change-able objects, higher object limits, new objects, change-able skyboxes, change-able weather, etc ), forge slayer, and so much more.

We could have some crazy new game modes or enhanced versions of existing game modes. Take Fat Kid for example, what if the only way to advance through the level is the humans had to get x amount of kills to open the door to the next area. Making ammo and weapons very important while having to kill the high health alpha zombie and the fast low health zombies. And if the humans are really doing well against the zombies, a trigger volume detecting how many humans around could spawn in some flood/ai to aid the zombies. Or if the humans are doing really bad but a few humans get far enough they can place/activate auto turrets (thinking Halo 4's Dominion turrets) that have either low health or a fixed amount of ammo to slow down the zombies.
modding tools or not there will be heaps of modded content for everyone to use based on the immense knowledge of the blam engine
343 said it might happen
I hope 343 is leaning towards mod support. If they release official tools and can bar mods from actual matchmaking, we'll definitely see a flourishing community. It'll be like forge in Halo 3 but 10x crazier. Unless I'm missing something, I don't think adding mod support could possibly hurt 343 in any way.
Unordinal wrote:
You know there is more to modding than just projectile editing.
yeah, I know; but I can see someone making all the weapons fire scarab beams.
I hope we get a full editing suite like Custom Edition, with a proper tag extractor so that we can mod campaign missions.