Forums / Games / Halo: The Master Chief Collection (PC)

Mouse Control during the First Look Social Stream

OP StrudelBaron

Is it just me, or did it sort of look like they were using a gamepad translator for the camera movements? As in Mouse axes = Right Analog Stick axes.
Mouse input feels like something that should be further along in development if the first PC flights are as close as we'd all hoped.
I don't know how long it takes to implement native mouse input, but I feel like it's something that should be in there as early as possible in order to tweak all other aspects of the controls that operate alongside it. The team that localised Destiny 2 on PC knew straight away that things like weapon swap speed, ADS speed, and side to side strafe momentum simply felt off with the more snappy mouse controlled camera. So they were constantly tweaking it so that it had that PC responsiveness whilst still feeling like Destiny.
I have faith in Splash Damage, they did a perfect job on the GoW4 PC localisation, but that "first look" really did appear to control like a console game being emulated on PC. Hopefully it was just a fairly early build that was chosen because it was particularly stable, and the PC Flights are still coming very soon.
I think that it seems that way to you because of two reasons
1) The guy's sensitivity looks to be approaching ZERO
2) He sucks at using a mouse and keyboard (see point 1)
There's no real way to know what his sensitivity was. If it was a gamepad translator, he could have his mouse set to 6,400 dpi and using large sweeping mouse movements just to get the camera to move a few degrees.

Having gone over the stream again they do admit to it being an older build with a lot of console hangovers, and at ~7:40 he mentions something about a controller "not gonna lie". So I don't think there was any attempt to mislead anyone of the state of that build. Plus it's an older version of the same demo they brought to E3 this week, and so far none of the press who tried it out have complained about emulated mouse control. Then again, most critics fail to mention hardcoded mouse smoothing so it's possible that it flew over their heads, but it's ultimately a good sign.
Lol just because someone doesn’t use dumb high epic gamer sensitivity doesn’t mean they suck at mouse and keyboard.
Lol just because someone doesn’t use dumb high epic gamer sensitivity doesn’t mean they suck at mouse and keyboard.
If you are using such low sensitivity that you have to pick up your mouse three times to turn 90 degrees, then you do suck at using a mouse and keyboard
If you are using such low sensitivity that you have to pick up your mouse three times to turn 90 degrees, then you do suck at using a mouse and keyboard
And what if it´s not possible for the public testers to change sensitivity in that specific Work in Progress E3 build? In the 1 hour stream of Tip of the Spear they specified Raw Mouse input.
No one says you're obligated to using a mouse and keyboard on PC anyways. When I switch to PC for this game, I'll still be using a controller, mainly because I'm left-handed that grew up on Legacy Sticks, so MnK just feels weird and awkward to me anyways.
Cerditd wrote:
And what if it´s not possible for the public testers to change sensitivity in that specific Work in Progress E3 build? In the 1 hour stream of Tip of the Spear they specified Raw Mouse input.
They can still change the mouse's sensitivity outside of the game.
No one says you're obligated to using a mouse and keyboard on PC anyways. When I switch to PC for this game, I'll still be using a controller, mainly because I'm left-handed that grew up on Legacy Sticks, so MnK just feels weird and awkward to me anyways.
Sorry to say this, but I hope you like dying a lot.
Cerditd wrote:
They can still change the mouse's sensitivity outside of the game.
Sorry to say this, but I hope you like dying a lot.
If you've played H2 or Halo Online you wouldn't be saying this. There were (and still are) a few controller players that can keep pace with high level KB/M players. If 343/Splash Damage can do this right, the only factor you'd have to consider in input selection is comfort and personal preference.
If you've played H2 or Halo Online you wouldn't be saying this. There were (and still are) a few controller players that can keep pace with high level KB/M players. If 343/Splash Damage can do this right, the only factor you'd have to consider in input selection is comfort and personal preference.
Keyword is "keep pace." And I'd like to see how well they do with all the aim assist systems (handicaps) disabled
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTexLm9MUWV3yqpzW7mDK_Ytkh0KcJNsZSNteIwY1Bqw_XrAD2HxE-swtPpDvyCYCnunmnNqrNdKSsf/pubhtml

That's the mouse sens of pro quake players. Most around 25cm/360, which I'm sure most players consider low. If you look at games like CS then you get much lower sens players still.

As for controller players keeping up with kb/m, must be with autoaim. I've seen some games where it's actually easier with a controller since the autoaim is so strong.
JamboNzy wrote:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTexLm9MUWV3yqpzW7mDK_Ytkh0KcJNsZSNteIwY1Bqw_XrAD2HxE-swtPpDvyCYCnunmnNqrNdKSsf/pubhtml

That's the mouse sens of pro quake players. Most around 25cm/360, which I'm sure most players consider low. If you look at games like CS then you get much lower sens players still.

As for controller players keeping up with kb/m, must be with autoaim. I've seen some games where it's actually easier with a controller since the autoaim is so strong.
Like I said, if done RIGHT. Games like Fortnight, APEX, Black Ops 3.. The aim assist is borderline auto aim.
You might want to still practice with a mouse and keyboard, even if it, at first, feels awkward. Otherwise, despite whatever experience you might have with Halo, people who play a lot of FPS games on PC will be able to beat you in a match or at the very least, be able to keep up even if Halo is new to them. The fundamentals behind FPS games are the same and there is a reason why FPS games tend to work well with mouse and keyboard.

Even with aim-assistance for the controller, you will likely find it difficult to play against those who have been using a mouse and keyboard for FPS games for a long time. We will know for sure though once Reach is released. I am certain people will test a controller vs a mouse and keyboard to see which setup is considered more optimal for PC.
You're at a disadvantage when it comes to vehicle controls for sure, and doing a 180 or anything like that of course. You might be okay for tracking opponents though, depending on how strong the auto aim is with the controller.
I just started to play Halo 5 Forge on PC with controler. Thus far I played Keyboard and mouse. I tripled my skill. The auto aim in this game is insane. I wonder how they will take of this aspect in MCC PC.
JamboNzy wrote:
You're at a disadvantage when it comes to vehicle controls for sure, and doing a 180 or anything like that of course. You might be okay for tracking opponents though, depending on how strong the auto aim is with the controller.
Hence why I never drive vehicles. I can't maintain full speed AND turn sharp. It's awful, and people don't understand that with driving. At best I can do 50% speed with 50% turning radius. Any more of either obviously lowers the other so I've had to try adapting to driving always using the ebrake to drift turns. Autoaim would be roughly the same for a connected controller and an option to disable it for MnK users, as most PC iterations do.