Forums / Games / Halo: The Master Chief Collection (PC)

Mouse is still under powered against Controller

OP Hamel

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
The Aim Assist granted to controllers leaves mouse & keyboard players at a severe disadvantage. Either Bullet Magnetism for M&KB needs to be turned way up, or the Controller Aim Assist needs to be dialed back in, which I don't believe is going to happen.

For the clearest example of the gratuitous advantage controller has can easily be seen in SWAT. For those that believe the issue isn't as bad as it seems, I urge you to try a handful of games of SWAT with both controller and mouse, and count how often your shots land and how easily you land them. It's day and night, and damn near unacceptable for a PC release.
+1, give us the option to play without controller users if you aren't going to remove controller aimbot
conolo wrote:
+1, give us the option to play without controller users if you aren't going to remove controller aimbot
I'd prefer a balance path as opposed to a division of players. I'm just tired of my mouse shots missing by two centimeters whereas I can flick like mad and barely aim on controller and smack headshots at any distance.

You might say "Just play with controller". Well, I don't want too. I want to enjoy my mouse and be able to play SWAT with it. I love SWAT :(
It should not be merged to begin with. Have two forms of input will always cause imbalance, one way or another. Let's hope 343 adds an option to opt out of playing with the other type of input.
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not flame or attack other members.
*Original post. Click at your own discretion.
Spoiler:
Show
My god you incels drive me crazy, M&K is far better than a Controller, you guys just need to adjust, adapt, and overcome. Every game that is modern has Controller Support and Aim Assist. Period. Get over it!
why do you keep saying this? its pretty obvious controller has a clear advantage with midrange dmr battles. they both have pros and cons but controller is superior in this scenario. anybody with a lick of sense can see this
My god you incels drive me crazy, M&K is far better than a Controller, you guys just need to adjust, adapt, and overcome. Every game that is modern has Controller Support and Aim Assist. Period. Get over it!
Yes but the point is that, as it stands, theyre UNBALANCEDWhy is it so hard for people to understand this?
I wilk give swat a try
Because it's literally an aimbot. Play console if you want to use a controller.
I used to be firmly in the aim assist nerf boat. But I've been playing k&m since launch and it feels nice. And I've been consistantly rekting the enemy team in 4x4 formats. Assuming nobody on my team decides that this is too hard and leaves, or we get stuck with an afk bot.

SWAT is my fav mode since it wraps up in 6-8 minutes which means faster point farming.
I really wish moderates would start delete threads and sticky a thread "controller rant thread" Simply cause I lost count how many people moaning and getting angry. Everyone has voiced there thoughts on it. There no need for countless more 10 threads already been made on the forums.
I really wish moderates would start delete threads and sticky a thread "controller rant thread" Simply cause I lost count how many people moaning and getting angry. Everyone has voiced there thoughts on it. There no need for countless more 10 threads already been made on the forums.
People are going to keep bringing up the issue until 343 makes a decision on how to fix it.
It's clear as day that the community isn't happy with the current state of AA, given by the amount of threads. Hopefully we see some fixes in the first patch
Hamel wrote:
People are going to keep bringing up the issue until 343 makes a decision on how to fix it.
It's clear as day that the community isn't happy with the current state of AA, given by the amount of threads. Hopefully we see some fixes in the first patch
I know. Though with many wanting AA either nerf to bare bones or removed all together. If it comes to it then 343 should not do cross play with xbox or there be more complaints about that as well. There no win in this situation.
Hamel wrote:
I know. Though with many wanting AA either nerf to bare bones or removed all together. If it comes to it then 343 should not do cross play with xbox or there be more complaints about that as well. There no win in this situation.
I do understand that AA can't be removed from controllers because of Cross Play. I think a good solution would be to bump up the magnetism for M&K a hair. Not a lot, just enough to balance out the tracking advantage that Controller has when in a 1v1 DMR strafe fight.
Hamel wrote:
Hamel wrote:
I do understand that AA can't be removed from controllers because of Cross Play. I think a good solution would be to bump up the magnetism for M&K a hair. Not a lot, just enough to balance out the tracking advantage that Controller has when in a 1v1 DMR strafe fight.
M&K needs no aim assistance vs controller.
THANK YOU! I can't understand why people can't understand this...It's so simple.
Controllers aren't overpowered you're just not hitting your shots. You're playing against people that have years of playing with controllers in Halo and, making an assumption here, you've been playing CoD on PC where consistent aim isn't important.

At the very least add controller/M&K icons so people can stop making assumptions about what's killing them. I'm willing to bet most of these people are just getting outplayed by a keyboard and mouse player.
Quote:
Controller Aim Assist on PC
We are not currently planning to make changes to auto-aim when using a controller on PC. The team is currently investigating the best way to handle input types (keyboard & mouse, controller, or both) when playing. If we make any changes to magnetism and aim-assist values for controller, it will close some doors and create a new set of challenges to work through.
We have heard from the community about a suggested “opt-in” option and are discussing the impacts this would have on matchmaking by splitting the population and increasing search times. If we do choose to pursue an “opt-in” feature after launch, it will require a good bit of time to design, implement, and test. And of course, if any such changes are made, it would also need to go through flighting for additional feedback and validation.
Halo has been on PC before and looking back to the CE and Halo 2 PC titles, both shipped with a similar level of controller and mouse magnetism and aim assist. Players on these titles could play with a controller or a mouse and keyboard against each other just like what’s offered in Reach today.
There are two key design mechanics at play depending on which method of input a player uses in Halo: Reach. Player magnetism is what gives the reticule a gentle nudge to stick to a hit location. Pretty much every shooter on the market has some degree of magnetism to assist players. This code only applies to controllers because it is substantially harder to aim with a controller relative to the precision offered by a mouse. Aim assist is a degree of “bullet bending” that is applied when players shoot at opponents to ensure a shot that is close enough registers as a hit and is core to how Halo weapons like the Needler work. This code is the same across both controller and mouse and keyboard inputs.
https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/news/mcc-development-update-november-2019
Quote:
Controller Aim Assist on PCWe are not currently planning to make changes to auto-aim when using a controller on PC. The team is currently investigating the best way to handle input types (keyboard & mouse, controller, or both) when playing. If we make any changes to magnetism and aim-assist values for controller, it will close some doors and create a new set of challenges to work through.
We have heard from the community about a suggested “opt-in” option and are discussing the impacts this would have on matchmaking by splitting the population and increasing search times. If we do choose to pursue an “opt-in” feature after launch, it will require a good bit of time to design, implement, and test. And of course, if any such changes are made, it would also need to go through flighting for additional feedback and validation.
Halo has been on PC before and looking back to the CE and Halo 2 PC titles, both shipped with a similar level of controller and mouse magnetism and aim assist. Players on these titles could play with a controller or a mouse and keyboard against each other just like what’s offered in Reach today.
There are two key design mechanics at play depending on which method of input a player uses in Halo: Reach. Player magnetism is what gives the reticule a gentle nudge to stick to a hit location. Pretty much every shooter on the market has some degree of magnetism to assist players. This code only applies to controllers because it is substantially harder to aim with a controller relative to the precision offered by a mouse. Aim assist is a degree of “bullet bending” that is applied when players shoot at opponents to ensure a shot that is close enough registers as a hit and is core to how Halo weapons like the Needler work. This code is the same across both controller and mouse and keyboard inputs.
https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/news/mcc-development-update-november-2019
Quote it all you want as many times over as you like, it doesn't discourage the discussion on the fact that a lot of people are still very displeased with the way things are. This quote is also a response to feedback from flight testing, not post-launch.

Like many of us are hoping for is at least said opt-in feature if controller aim-assist isn't nerfed. The difference between 343's game and other forementioned FPS games is that Halo Reach:PC has much more aggressive AA for controllers than any other currently popular FPS right now.

They literally said it themselves, aim assist is "bullet bending" and uses magnetism when a 'close enough hit', aka missing can HIT for shots made only on controllers. This also 'gently nudges' through walls and opaque objects if close enough. It is substantially harder to aim with controllers, yes, so let controller players play with other controller players with their magnetism and bullet bending and let KB+M players play with other KB+M players as an opt-in feature. The team at 343 are obsessed with this causing delays in matchmaking when they could simply just give us a gamemode/server browser like any viable long-term multiplayer PC game and skip the worry of people not being able to join games quickly.
UPDATE: I tested swat with MKB and I can see the AA helping the guys, like a lot. However, I still managed to get some sweat flick shots. I have to play more to judge.
UPDATE 2: Yeah ok the AA is slightly too strong.
UPDATE 3: The AA is too strong. I will now switch to controller
UPDATE 4: AA is SLIGHTLY too strong
UPDATE 5: ok give me an hour.
UPDATE 6: I actually gave up using a controller. I did a better job playing with MKB. But I can still tell AA is slightly too strong in CQC.
UPDATE 7: I don't think AA is too strong after all. I believe it's even. But if you are not good using mouse and keyboard, you will easily get destroyed. I will still say AA is slitghly stronger, especially in CQC. I noticed that some of my headshots are not registering when using Mouse and keyboard. It may be due to Bloom or bullet magnetism Mouse's settings, which may need a tiny tiny tiny tiny adjustment.

Final thoughts, AA doesn't need to be adjusted, you just need to be a good at tracking players, perform great flick shots and have a good reaction time, and.. you just need to play more. The game literally just came out a few days ago. I am pretty sure within a few weeks, MKB users can wreck controller users
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2