Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Halo: The Master Chief Collection (PC)

Mouse is still under powered against Controller

OP Hamel

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
Quote:
Aim assist is a degree of “bullet bending” that is applied when players shoot at opponents to ensure a shot that is close enough registers as a hit and is core to how Halo weapons like the Needler work. This code is the same across both controller and mouse and keyboard inputs.
They literally said it themselves, aim assist is "bullet bending" and uses magnetism when a 'close enough hit', aka missing can HIT for shots made only on controllers.
BmB23 wrote:
Quote:
Aim assist is a degree of “bullet bending” that is applied when players shoot at opponents to ensure a shot that is close enough registers as a hit and is core to how Halo weapons like the Needler work. This code is the same across both controller and mouse and keyboard inputs.
They literally said it themselves, aim assist is "bullet bending" and uses magnetism when a 'close enough hit', aka missing can HIT for shots made only on controllers.
They literally said its coded the same on both inputs, claims coded only for controller.

Lmfao
I set my controller up as classic for aim assist, the aa irritated me on controller, I don't want to be shooting someone if there's 2 people next to each other while strafing and aim assist targets the other guy who I'm not focused on, I want to use my skill and not rely on the assistance. That's how I feel controller should be played, with no aim assist in general, you should have to practice just as much with controller as kb and mouse. Unfortunately for me, the controller is quitting after a few moments for me and recognizing that I'm not using one even when it's plugged in.
My god you incels drive me crazy, M&K is far better than a Controller, you guys just need to adjust, adapt, and overcome. Every game that is modern has Controller Support and Aim Assist. Period. Get over it!
And how's that working out for those games, eh?

I literally work at a video game store. I deal with fellow colleagues and members of the public who are avid gamers on a daily basis, and I speak to people who have played all manner of games that feature crossplay between PC and consoles. The overwhelming consensus these people paint is that the crossplay is very rarely, if ever, executed well, to the point where in some games M+K dominates, in others, controllers dominate, and in others yet, people 'trick' the game into thinking their M+K is a controller in order to gain the advantages of both.

Just get a grip and stop trying to dismiss people's arguments by insulting them and telling them to get better. I also find it laughable that I'm being called an incel by a person who is being 'driven crazy' to the point of frustration over a subject as stupid and laughable as Halo crossplay.
Has anyone notice a bit of mouse lag as in its not moving when im moving my mouse around to look around? Or is it just my mouse freezing up on me? :S
Nope.
Has anyone notice a bit of mouse lag as in its not moving when im moving my mouse around to look around? Or is it just my mouse freezing up on me? :S
My god you incels drive me crazy, M&K is far better than a Controller, you guys just need to adjust, adapt, and overcome. Every game that is modern has Controller Support and Aim Assist. Period. Get over it!
Because it's literally an aimbot. Play console if you want to use a controller.
No and stop using this excuse. A PC is all about choice whether we use M+K or controller. Controller players arnt going anywhere because you dont like it. @It Was Just Lag
And how's that working out for those games, eh?

I literally work at a video game store. I deal with fellow colleagues and members of the public who are avid gamers on a daily basis, and I speak to people who have played all manner of games that feature crossplay between PC and consoles. The overwhelming consensus these people paint is that the crossplay is very rarely, if ever, executed well, to the point where in some games M+K dominates, in others, controllers dominate, and in others yet, people 'trick' the game into thinking their M+K is a controller in order to gain the advantages of both.

Just get a grip and stop trying to dismiss people's arguments by insulting them and telling them to get better. I also find it laughable that I'm being called an incel by a person who is being 'driven crazy' to the point of frustration over a subject as stupid and laughable as Halo crossplay.
You massacred that poor boy.
No and stop using this excuse. A PC is all about choice whether we use M+K or controller. Controller players arnt going anywhere because you dont like it. @It Was Just Lag
PC is all about choice. You can use a controller on CS:GO, but would you? No because it doesn't have player magnetism.

In the end, controller players don't have true skill. They have assisted skill and that's all.
If adding more aim assist is ever a serious solution then I give up on Halo.
Slickini wrote:
UPDATE: I tested swat with MKB and I can see the AA helping the guys, like a lot. However, I still managed to get some sweat flick shots. I have to play more to judge.
UPDATE 2: Yeah ok the AA is slightly too strong.
UPDATE 3: The AA is too strong. I will now switch to controller
UPDATE 4: AA is SLIGHTLY too strong
UPDATE 5: ok give me an hour.
UPDATE 6: I actually gave up using a controller. I did a better job playing with MKB. But I can still tell AA is slightly too strong in CQC.
UPDATE 7: I don't think AA is too strong after all. I believe it's even. But if you are not good using mouse and keyboard, you will easily get destroyed. I will still say AA is slitghly stronger, especially in CQC. I noticed that some of my headshots are not registering when using Mouse and keyboard. It may be due to Bloom or bullet magnetism Mouse's settings, which may need a tiny tiny tiny tiny adjustment.

Final thoughts, AA doesn't need to be adjusted, you just need to be a good at tracking players, perform great flick shots and have a good reaction time, and.. you just need to play more. The game literally just came out a few days ago. I am pretty sure within a few weeks, MKB users can wreck controller users
Yup. The only thing that needs to be adjusted is the mouse input lag. AA doesnt need adjusted on the controllers. The fact that controllers are able to compete with a MKB player means that the devs did a good job 18 years ago when they first developed the system.

Despite some people's knee jerk opinions, picking up a controller and dominating in Halo on PC has very little to do with the input device being OP and more to do with the fact that the people picking up and playing the game on PC with controllers are the vets whom have been playing the series with a controller since H1/H2/H3. One cant simply pick up a controller and dominate in Halo unless its already in their extensive muscle memory to do so.
D dawgy wrote:
PC is all about choice. You can use a controller on CS:GO, but would you? No because it doesn't have player magnetism.

In the end, controller players don't have true skill. They have assisted skill and that's all.
Thats harsh... I dont know what your definition of true skill is, but certainly playing and being good at halo with a controller takes skill. If it didnt take skill, it wouldnt have been one of the first esports games. Would i be worse at halo on controller without aim assist? yes, of course, we all would be. But would YOU be worse at fps games if i exchanged your gaming mouse for an old school ball mouse? yes. Both controller players and mouse players are at the mercy of software and technology.

i wouldnt doubt that there are people whom prefer controller that possess a higher aptitude for becoming good at games than you, whom have a faster reaction time, better hearing, better spacial awareness etc. and yet, somehow, because they choose to use a controller, they are less skilled?
So mouser users having far better accuracy, faster reaction times, and able to use weapons far beyond their intended ranges is a disadvantage now ?
So mouser users having far better accuracy, faster reaction times, and able to use weapons far beyond their intended ranges is a disadvantage now ?
Where in the post did I say the advantages of a mouse are disadvantages?

If you'd kindly use your eyes you'll clearly see that I said 'Regardless of the advantages normally given to a mouse, its still underpowered against the AA granted to controllers"
k0nawo1v wrote:
Yup. The only thing that needs to be adjusted is the mouse input lag. AA doesnt need adjusted on the controllers. The fact that controllers are able to compete with a MKB player means that the devs did a good job 18 years ago when they first developed the system.

Despite some people's knee jerk opinions, picking up a controller and dominating in Halo on PC has very little to do with the input device being OP and more to do with the fact that the people picking up and playing the game on PC with controllers are the vets whom have been playing the series with a controller since H1/H2/H3. One cant simply pick up a controller and dominate in Halo unless its already in their extensive muscle memory to do so.
I tend to agree. I played a pretty good amount of 2/3/REACH and a little 4, but swtiched to PC a few years ago. I suck at Halo M+K right now, so I switched to controller for a while and didn't like it at all. There's definitely noticeable AA, but you're sacrificing a lot to get it. I strongly prefer M+K.

Now I just need to get my brain to stop thinking in terms of controller inputs when playing Halo.
D dawgy wrote:

So by your way of thinking, the only skill in halo is aiming? lol. I can tell you now that not everyone that uses a controller is automatically good at the game. I have some friends that use controllers and they are pretty bad. Chances are, you are playing against people who have been playing halo with a controller for a decade or more. Mouse users need time to get used to the way players strafe and move, the auto aim isn't that wild and a good strafe will make players miss shots/lose tracking. I also wonder if you know that it's 4 bullets in the body and 1 in the head? In H3 when i learned it was 3 in the body and 1 in the head, that changed everything for me.
Quote:
Controller Aim Assist on PCWe are not currently planning to make changes to auto-aim when using a controller on PC. The team is currently investigating the best way to handle input types (keyboard & mouse, controller, or both) when playing. If we make any changes to magnetism and aim-assist values for controller, it will close some doors and create a new set of challenges to work through.
We have heard from the community about a suggested “opt-in” option and are discussing the impacts this would have on matchmaking by splitting the population and increasing search times. If we do choose to pursue an “opt-in” feature after launch, it will require a good bit of time to design, implement, and test. And of course, if any such changes are made, it would also need to go through flighting for additional feedback and validation.
Halo has been on PC before and looking back to the CE and Halo 2 PC titles, both shipped with a similar level of controller and mouse magnetism and aim assist. Players on these titles could play with a controller or a mouse and keyboard against each other just like what’s offered in Reach today.
There are two key design mechanics at play depending on which method of input a player uses in Halo: Reach. Player magnetism is what gives the reticule a gentle nudge to stick to a hit location. Pretty much every shooter on the market has some degree of magnetism to assist players. This code only applies to controllers because it is substantially harder to aim with a controller relative to the precision offered by a mouse. Aim assist is a degree of “bullet bending” that is applied when players shoot at opponents to ensure a shot that is close enough registers as a hit and is core to how Halo weapons like the Needler work. This code is the same across both controller and mouse and keyboard inputs.
https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/news/mcc-development-update-november-2019
could in the short-term be something like an icon be implemented on the scoreboard that shows which input the player uses? It is very frustrating to be shot by someone who's hitting every shot while you're trying your best to dodge bullets, not knowing if the other person is actually very good and does destroy you with skill (we expect that he's not cheating) or if he's just using a controller because of which he almost has something similar to an "aimbot".

I don't care if it is in the singleplayer/firefight, but I do in a multiplayer that tries to be competitive, I at least want to know if I got smashed by someone under the same rules or just getting recked by the game. in CSGO most ppl call it “getting CSGO'd”, trolled by the game.

I hope you come up with something that makes most ppl including me as an average M&K user happy(an opt in feature might be a good short-term solution as well, could be checked if a controller is connected/gets connected during the game or simply... just not accepting inputs from controller).
Both inputs have their pros and cons. Here is my take... a casual controller vs a casual KBM player isn’t going to be a big difference. Aim assist is definitely needed for most of the population. The thing is tho a higher tier player is already have great with the sticks...add assist and it looks literally like aim bot.
I have two accounts. I only play hardcore, with two accounts. One with my sweaty friends and one with my casuals. With my causal friends I very rarely feel outgunned on KBM. On my main account, that is a lvl 24 as of last night...I’ve been in some serious sweaty matches with high tier players and you can feel the difference. It’s very difficult to hit 5 shots, all head shots...specifically the kill shot on a high tier controller player. Lastly...and this is what sets the controller apart is the ability to scope and continue to rescope in long range battles without it feeling odd. The ADS with KBM is kind of aids.

It just seems like a crazy struggle getting kill shots on ppl. To me it feels like it’s bc there is no magnetism to the hit box for the head.

With all that being said I’m going to still play KBM bc I generally enjoy the movement and being able to turn quicker etc.
Only solution is to remove all aim assist from controller to force these degenerates to use mouse keyboard
I'm considering using programs like rewasd to even the playing field. Feels wrong though...
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2