Forums / Games / Halo: The Master Chief Collection (PC)

Nameplate Feedback Request

OP Postums

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 4
Hey Friends,

The team is working on future update plans and we’d love to get community feedback on MCC lobby NAMEPLATES!

What do you like in a nameplate? Which types are your favorite? What kind of nameplates would you like to potentially see added to MCC? We’re specifically looking for feedback around Halo 2, Halo 3, and Halo 4 themed nameplates (as those are the next titles up for MCC on PC) but ultimately we’d love to hear any thoughts you’d like to share. Of course we can’t promise what, if anything, might materialize in MCC down the road, but we’d love to continue our ongoing partnership and get your thoughts to help inform our direction.

Please note that we’re not looking for actual artwork here – please don’t create mock-ups or submit any designs. Instead, please use the thread below to share your feedback and we’ll relay it to the team!

Thank you for your support!

Cheers,
Postums
Nameplate and/or other rewards for LASO Reach completion.

Yapyap the destroyer.

Nameplate or other rewards for having a map or mod featured. I think this one is pretty important.

It's kind of hard to pick new ideas for upcoming titles. Since most in game situations have been covered. It'll have to be something niech. Like finding some easter eggs or saving Allies in tough situations. Such as getting grunts all the way down to the bottom of the lift on H2's first flood mission or saving every possible marine on CE's second level. Or getting through a tough level like gravemind without firing a bullet.
The achievements that you get on steam given as also nameplates for example, getting the HBOrg Special achievement will also grant you to have a brute dancing nameplate and if there is more events keep giving out good nameplates as rewards and if possible different nameplates if they repeat the same event.
Seeing other players nameplate would be a start. Currently how it works is upon searching for a match you only see yours or if you're in a party you see yours and your party's. Then once enough players are found to begin a match, everyone's nameplate just defaults to red or blue depending on if they're on the red or blue team. At no point before a match starts are you able to see anyone's nameplate, except of course what I mentioned above, yours and/or your party's.

That would be a start. Because currently I have no care in the world for them (no offense to the people who make the art for them). No one can really see them. Maybe a way to make them more noticeable would be in-game if someone kills you and as you spectate them before you respawn you see their name and their nameplate (like this: https://imgur.com/a/OyoWF1R). Because currently all you see is their name.
Really cool animated nameplates and player card avatars rewarded for each individual LASO playlist, completing all LASO playlists and getting 100% of all MCC achievements.

Design suggestions:
-Animated DOT nameplate brought back for Reach.
-Animated Gravemind tentacles with floating flood spores nameplate and avatar.
-Animated Forerunner pattern nameplate and avatar.
-Animated gif scenes from Halo cutscenes and media nameplates and avatars.
-Animated glowing ODST Engineer nameplate and avatar.
-Still and animated avatars and nameplates that are in a variety of artstyles like anime or cubism.

Either be able to create your own still or animated avatars and nameplates with Theater mode screenshots and video recording or the figures used for avatars be able to be arranged and put in a pose of your choosing.

But you guys can't even be bothered doing things like fixing broken spawns so isn't it a complete waste of time making suggestions let alone cool ones?

Maybe an ODST FireFight nameplate so we can remember that you cut that?
Personally rather not have animated nameplates, or at least have the option to globally have them "paused".

As for ideas on nameplates, I'd suggest looking at the various easter eggs for some inspiration. The Scarab Gun and Soccer Ball within Halo 2 as an example.
A series of Halo 3 ape family nameplates. I want one to be of the largest one climbing a space elevator like King Kong climbing the Empire State building and the 2nd largest on its back swatting at falcons and the 3rd largest hanging off that one's tail. Another one where the Ape family is in the style of an action movie poster. It's important their faces are kept disturbingly blank like in Halo 3.

I want an aboriginal design Chips Dubbo nameplate that says "SEN...F'N...SATIONAL!"

Red vs Blue nameplates.

A nameplate commemorating things like that guy's(can't remember his name)old CE video showing the warthog launch. Fun noteworthy things like that in the series history.

Animated gif avatar or nameplate of CE classic graphics cutscene moment where Captain Keyes lowers his pipe and closes his eyes awkwardly.

Sgt Johnson hugging the elite "Hold Me."

"Hold onto your potatoes!" Nameplate.
I don't have any specific suggestions, but I would use nameplates as a source of motivation for playing the game.

This would also require perhaps a better system of showing them off than currently exists. Something that shows them off and teases them a bit, rather than requiring the player to look for it. (see: Cod MW's system). Maybe if challenges get added, feature something that leads to a nameplate with a preview on a biweekly basis.

But, even if such a system weren't implemented, try to make sure the player:
A) knows about the cool new additions and wants it
B) is required to engage in interesting content/engage in prior content in interesting ways (add challenges/constraints to beating campaign levels without killing grunts, etc...)
An Arbiter raising his sword, or maybe a Flood nameplate (gravemind tentacles wrapped around a decaying banner)
+1 on the Reach LASO nameplate, and also an ODST LASO nameplate (if there isn't one already). Also maybe a new nameplate for completing all LASO playlists (I think the existing one only considers Halo 1,2,3, and 4).

On a related note, I'd really like if it was possible to see how you unlocked a nameplate. Currently, if you hover over locked nameplates, it will tell you how to unlock it, but once you've unlocked it that information goes away. There's been a few times where friends have asked how I got a certain nameplate and I didn't have an answer for them.

Thanks!
summon wrote:
Seeing other players nameplate would be a start. Currently how it works is upon searching for a match you only see yours or if you're in a party you see yours and your party's. Then once enough players are found to begin a match, everyone's nameplate just defaults to red or blue depending on if they're on the red or blue team. At no point before a match starts are you able to see anyone's nameplate, except of course what I mentioned above, yours and/or your party's.

That would be a start. Because currently I have no care in the world for them (no offense to the people who make the art for them). No one can really see them. Maybe a way to make them more noticeable would be in-game if someone kills you and as you spectate them before you respawn you see their name and their nameplate. Because currently all you see is their name. I'm gonna make a mock-up of this idea and edit in the upload later.
This x10000.
I haven't see anyone else's nameplates in over a month. All I ever see is "Player found" which is pretty much pointless. Once you have enough players, it switches to their name. You never see nameplates, clan names, etc. Please fix the lobby.
Cab0ozed wrote:
This x10000.
I haven't see anyone else's nameplates in over a month. All I ever see is "Player found" which is pretty much pointless. Once you have enough players, it switches to their name. You never see nameplates, clan names, etc. Please fix the lobby.
Yep. I just edited my comment with a mockup for how nameplates can be more widely seen. Of course seeing them in lobbies would still be preferred.
Weapon mastery nameplates could be cool. Similar to Battlefields dog tags, so like once you cross 1000 kills with a certain weapon you unlock a nameplate that has a counter on it and a cool pic of the weapon (not the silhouettes like on the existing nameplates, although they have their place)
The "Collect all skulls in Halo ___" nameplates should reflect what you actually had to do to unlock it. Right now they are just generic gold plates with the specific game's logo on it. I suggest that you could incorperate an actual skull graphic. But keep the gold color, because it looks very nice.
Here are some ideas that I thought about. Some of them might be dumb but I look forward to hearing your thoughts and feedback. Based off how popular this thread becomes, I will either just edit this post with new ideas or I'll make a second list. :)

Nameplate Ideas:
  • Partners
    - Twitch, Mixer, & YouTube Streamers: Players who streamed MCC on one of these platforms would be awarded the nameplate.
    - Professionals & Streamers: Create custom nameplates for the most well known pro players and streamers. For an example, the Ogre Twins, Walshy, Dr Disrespect, Shroud, etc.
    - Microsoft Staff: Players who work for MS or the MS Stores would receive a MS nameplate (ex. 343 nameplate).
    - Mountain Dew & Doritos: Similar to the cans we could purchase back in the Halo 3 days. You could create a couple of variations to represent the flavors or game launches.
    - Peripheral Companies: Work with companies like HyperX, Corsair, Razer, and others to create nameplates to represent their brand. This could also turn into a much bigger relationship in the long run (giveaways, event partnerships, etc.).

• Community
    - Monthly Community Created Nameplates: Encourage the community to submit their own creations on the forums for three to four weeks. The community would then vote on the ones they like the most. At the end of the voting time, you would take the top three and implement them into the game. This could happen once a month, once a quarter, or during specific holiday time frames.
    - Various Communities: Create a few nameplates for the Grifball community. There are countless communities within MCC. You can start with the most obvious ones and then work your way to the smaller ones.

• Various
    - Revamp: All of the current name plates. Give the player the option to use the new version or original design.
    - XP Tour Ranks: A nameplate representing each tour you've achieved. For an example, I'm halfway through Tour 6 currently. When I hit blue shield in a week or two, I would be awarded the Tour 7 blue shield nameplate.
    - Hours Played: Once you reached "X" number of hours played on MCC (either through Steam or in game).
    - 1,000, 5,000, & 10,000 Wins: Make something really special for reaching these milestones.
    - 5,000 Splatters: This would be a hard thing to do. So this one should be extra special.
    - Dedicated: Not quitting out of any MM matches. Starts at 150 games and progresses from there. Might sound silly but it would be one way to encourage players to not quit.
    - Grunt Birthday Party: Simple. A birthday cake with confetti everywhere.
    - Forums: Post on the forums "X" times and get a nameplate.
    - Halo Insider Program: Make a new insider nameplate showcasing the play testing. This should be different than the one previously created and awarded

• Player Details Screen
    - Avatar: Give the players an option opt out of the avatar selection for their profile. Instead, they would have a background based off the nameplate they have equipped. Some players don't like the avatar system and don't use it. This also eliminated unnecessary clutter from the UI as it looks like a three year old made it currently.
I would like the platinum nameplates to look different compared to silver.
This is a great question. I think there is untapped potential and mistakes that need to be walked back.

I think the biggest problem is not being able to look at the description of a nameplate after unlocking it. Setting that aside, the design of some existing nameplates don't line up with their value.

Halo: CE: Play Halo: CE on the 15th of any month.
Halo CE logo - Blue Transparent (team color)

Halo: CE: Beat the par score on all Halo: CE levels.
Halo CE logo - Bronze

Halo: CE: Bet the par time on all Halo: CE levels.
Halo: CE logo - silver

Halo: CE: Find and claim all Skulls in Halo: CE.
Halo: CE logo - gold

Halo: CE: Complete all Halo: CE Legendary campaign missions in under 3 hours.
Halo: CE logo - polished silver

Why is finding all the skulls, something unnecessary since they are all unlocked on PC, gold and not beating the campaign on legendary? Why are there 5 identical nameplates with different gradient backgrounds? I prefer having my team color show through so I only use the transparent background nameplates. I think the solution is to not do things by color but instead create a custom background for these. What is currently there looks like you wanted people to be able to choose the simple background of a nameplate but compromised and slapped a bunch of mostly-related challenges on each one. It isn't messy per se, it isn't organized enough.

Moving on, I'd love to see nameplates that picture scenes from games other than Halo Reach. There's a distinct lack of Master Chief and there are many memorable characters such as the Arbiter, Sergeant Johnson, Rtas (half-jaw), the two Halo 3 co-op elites, Guilty Spark, the Forge monitor, Penitent Tangent (05), Tartarus, prophet Truth, prophet Regret, prophet Mercy, Gravemind, etc. Add in a pelican side profile and the inside part where you step in!

You can also do iconic scenes from the series. Stuff like Master Chief flying out with that bomb or Noble 6 doing a drop assassination off of that cliff for that achievement. Launching a warthog in the air with grenades would be great too. Something for the Halo 3 ODST recon challenge such as 4 co-op players on foot for that vehicle mission or a crowded room of enemies in the Firefight mode. "Choppers on Lost Platoon Don't Count!"

As far as logos go I know I'd love to see something for Forge and Theater.

Reading through this thread there are a few ideas I think are strong and want to highlight.
  • - Various Communities: Create a few nameplates for the Grifball community. There are countless communities within MCC. You can start with the most obvious ones and then work your way to the smaller ones.
  • - XP Tour Ranks: A nameplate representing each tour you've achieved. For an example, I'm halfway through Tour 6 currently. When I hit blue shield in a week or two, I would be awarded the Tour 7 blue shield nameplate.
    - Dedicated: Not quitting out of any MM matches. Starts at 150 games and progresses from there. Might sound silly but it would be one way to encourage players to not quit.
A nameplate for SWAT and Grifball would be great. Stuff like that.
IXI Sean wrote:
Personally rather not have animated nameplates, or at least have the option to globally have them "paused".

As for ideas on nameplates, I'd suggest looking at the various easter eggs for some inspiration. The Scarab Gun and Soccer Ball within Halo 2 as an example.
I'm not a fan of animated nameplates. It's eye catching in an annoying way.
summon wrote:

That would be a start. Because currently I have no care in the world for them (no offense to the people who make the art for them). No one can really see them. Maybe a way to make them more noticeable would be in-game if someone kills you and as you spectate them before you respawn you see their name and their nameplate (like this: https://imgur.com/a/OyoWF1R). Because currently all you see is their name.
facts
I would like to see more nameplates rewarded for achievements, preferably with the image being relevant to the achievement.
The thought of this has me hurting on the inside considering I already ran all the games on LASO, but maybe make a cross-game playlist once all the games are launched that has all the LASO campaigns and give a badass nameplate for that. Personally as far as LASO nameplates go currently I think they should be changed, make the current LASO nameplates something you unlock from collecting X amount of skulls and do a new design for the LASO nameplates that look cooler. I think there is a legendary master chief saga playlist that does something similar with the LASO campaigns? Just add Reach and ODST to it basically and put a nameplate reward in it.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 4