Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Halo: The Master Chief Collection (PC)

Not Liking the New Halo 2 Visor in UE

OP MinusSquire2145

Halo 2 Customisation Screen

I know it's still a work in progress, but I'm not the biggest fan of the visor in the upcoming customisation screen for Halo 2. It seems they're just using the one they went with for HCE, which really only works for CE. The shading (textures maybe) for the body looks a bit off as well, but that's to be expected within a different engine in an entirely new menu. I'm more concerned about the visor. Halo 2 Classic has always had a very distinct visor. Here are a couple of images for reference.

Halo 2 Classic visor
Halo 2 Classic visor (b)

As you can see, there's a lot to the texture of the classic Halo 2 visor. It has a certain depth to it, a more detailed reflectivity than the ones that followed. Whether or not it's more realistic, it fits Halo 2's artstyle perfectly. If 343i want to adapt it, update it a little to fit with the new UE UI but preserve the original Halo 2 style, then perhaps they could base it on one of the following. It would be more faithful as well as looking better than it currently does in the menu. They should also check how the visor appeared in the original customisation screen in OG Halo 2.

Halo 2 Classic Demo
Halo 2 Classic Cinematic

My request: For those of you involved in the flights, if you agree with me, could you please provide 343i feedback regarding this model.
Do you believe it to just be a placeholder for now or do you think it's indicative of the final design? Which visor do you prefer - The classic visor or the one currently being used in the customisation screen? Do you agree / disagree with my points, and why?
The Unreal engine they use for the menu is different to the engine the game uses. I wouldn't worry too much.
The Unreal engine they use for the menu is different to the engine the game uses. I wouldn't worry too much.
I know it's different. I'd like it to reflect what's in the game. That's the whole point of having an in-menu preview model. It's to show what your customised Spartan will look like to other players in-game. If it doesn't, then there's really no point in having it at all.
That looks almost identical to the H2A model. What’s the problem?
We had people saying the same thing when CE was releasing, the model and visor will be fine. Remember what we are looking at is an old build of the game that doesnt correlate with release
What's the problem? Well, you might want to get your eyes checked for a start. That's the Halo 2 Classic model, not the H2A one. XD

XbninjaXIV wrote:
We had people saying the same thing when CE was releasing, the model and visor will be fine. Remember what we are looking at is an old build of the game that doesnt correlate with release
I started the original post mentioning that, but there's still a chance it could be overlooked. 343i might have decided that the visor they chose for Halo CE's model fits the Halo 2 model quite well despite the fact that Halo 2's visor has always looked very different from CE's. As a Halo fan, I just want to make sure nothing gets missed. I love 343i, but they don't have a perfect track record.
What's the problem? Well, you might want to get your eyes checked for a start. That's the Halo 2 Classic model, not the H2A one. XD

XbninjaXIV wrote:
I started the original post mentioning that, but there's still a chance it could be overlooked. 343i might have decided that the visor they chose for Halo CE's model fits the Halo 2 model quite well despite the fact that Halo 2's visor has always looked very different from CE's. As a Halo fan, I just want to make sure nothing gets missed. I love 343i, but they don't have a perfect track record.
I still think it looks fine. 343 have MUCH bigger fish to fry than adjusting the way the visors look in the customization screen.

XbninjaXIV wrote:
I still think it looks fine. 343 have MUCH bigger fish to fry than adjusting the way the visors look in the customization screen.
Agreed, the is inconsequential small potatoes and doesn't matter....at all
it's a new engine in a new menu. it obviously can't be 1:1 to the xbox version but it's a lot better than a still image

XbninjaXIV wrote:
It's quite sad to me these days that we have learnt to settle for "close enough" and very telling too.

XbninjaXIV wrote:
It's quite sad to me these days that we have learnt to settle for "close enough" and very telling too.
Close enough is good enough when more important stuff is under the microscope
The stuff people complain about just baffles me..
As much as I'd like the OG way of teh visor and stuff, everyone complains and says it's gotta change, can't have the same game over and over, but then look at Call of Duty, and counter strike, same game since 99 and still best played game. Changes is what changes your player base
The stuff people complain about just baffles me..
Why are you complaining about someone that wants the ORIGINAL character model? It's like saying the non original gearbox port with halo ce is a baffling complaint which is what you're basically saying.
Halo 2 Customisation ScreenI know it's still a work in progress, but I'm not the biggest fan of the visor in the upcoming customisation screen for Halo 2. It seems they're just using the one they went with for HCE, which really only works for CE. The shading (textures maybe) for the body looks a bit off as well, but that's to be expected within a different engine in an entirely new menu. I'm more concerned about the visor. Halo 2 Classic has always had a very distinct visor. Here are a couple of images for reference.

Halo 2 Classic visorHalo 2 Classic visor (b)As you can see, there's a lot to the texture of the classic Halo 2 visor. It has a certain depth to it, a more detailed reflectivity than the ones that followed. Whether or not it's more realistic, it fits Halo 2's artstyle perfectly. If 343i want to adapt it, update it a little to fit with the new UE UI but preserve the original Halo 2 style, then perhaps they could base it on one of the following. It would be more faithful as well as looking better than it currently does in the menu. They should also check how the visor appeared in the original customisation screen in OG Halo 2.

Halo 2 Classic DemoHalo 2 Classic CinematicMy request: For those of you involved in the flights, if you agree with me, could you please provide 343i feedback regarding this model.
Do you believe it to just be a placeholder for now or do you think it's indicative of the final design? Which visor do you prefer - The classic visor or the one currently being used in the customisation screen? Do you agree / disagree with my points, and why?
They better be just temporary placeholders because they actually don't look good at all.