Forums / Games / Halo: The Master Chief Collection (PC)

[Locked] Player Numbers: Down %89.75 Since Launch (Edit)

OP Fatal Error1337

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 13
A few factors likely contributing to the rapid decline in the player base.

1. Nostalgia Satisfied: Despite its controversial reception on launch, Reach was still one of Bungie's most successful releases in terms of sales. So within the first week of release, many who were interested in Reach purely for nostalgia's sake were satisfied having completed the campaign and played a few matches of multiplayer.

2. Lack of Features: As many of you know Forge mode is still not slated for a specific release date. And so with the lack of Forge comes the lack of custom game modes. I know personally that nearly as much or most of my multiplayer time in Reach, back when it launched on the Xbox360, was spent in custom games created in Forge. This provided a constant steam of new content that did not require DLC and so there was almost always something new to do. To a lesser extent, the lack of Theater mode also prevents what is essentially free advertising, especially within social media and meme sharing sites.

3. Changes to Customization: The season pass. It's reception has either been met with disinterest or 'dislike' by the community at large. Many have suggested a return of the old Reach customization unlocks that relied on a credit buying system and level unlocks, this was augmented by daily and weekly challenges that awarded additional credits to those gained from match completion. However they are now awarded through the seasonal unlocks, only dolled out through a linear unlock system. This is a popular monetization method being employed by publishers after the backlash loot-boxes received (though some believe the season pass method to be just as exploitative). The current unlocks have yet to be monetized, though it is unclear if it will remain this way.

4. Unfinished Release: With Brian Jarrard's initial promise of Halo:Reach being “ready when it’s ready” we expected Reach to be launched with all features included, however with the announcement of the early December release date 343 immediately was forced to begin rolling back that on that statement. Not only did it launch without full features but also a number of bugs and with the release coming just before the holidays, this has led to a serious delay in patches to fix these issues. Though with the holidays coming to an end it is likely they are soon to be fixed. However the damage has been done and negatively impacted an incomplete game.
Quote:
The current unlocks have yet to be monetized, though it is unclear if it will remain this way.
They will not be monetized.
omarlotrc wrote:
Quote:
The current unlocks have yet to be monetized, though it is unclear if it will remain this way.
They will not be monetized.
They are holding off with that until Infinite. Will be curious to see if it will be just a clusterf of a system as Gears 5 and the game dying just as quickly.
Wait until CE, 2, and 3 hit and you'll see our real numbers.
Ill play when other players dont get handicaps for playing with an objectively worse input method.
JustBitsy wrote:
Ill play when other players dont get handicaps for playing with an objectively worse input method.
^this

How can anything be competitive and skill based with aim assist?

Absolute joke.
Of course it's going to drop off. Aside from what you mentioned, a lot of the actual PC players stopped playing when 343 refused to do anything about the controller vs mouse and keyboard issues. They brought a console game to PC for console players. So obviously all they can expect is the same player base they've had this entire time.

Halo has the potential to be a big PC esport, but of course it's going to be squandered away at the sake of "inclusion" while giving neither of the playerbases a choice out of fear of splitting them. The irony is, when they finally implement crossplay, it will be mainly Xbox players playing against each other on different platforms because all the actual PC players have given up. I don't even know why they bothered. Why bring a game to a different platform if you are just going to cater to the players of the original platform. What's the point?

So far, Reach has been an even bigger disappointment and slap in the face to PC players than Halo 5 forge on PC was...
ANDROKIO wrote:
Of course it's going to drop off. Aside from what you mentioned, a lot of the actual PC players stopped playing when 343 refused to do anything about the controller vs mouse and keyboard issues. They brought a console game to PC for console players. So obviously all they can expect is the same player base they've had this entire time.

Halo has the potential to be a big PC esport, but of course it's going to be squandered away at the sake of "inclusion" while giving neither of the playerbases a choice out of fear of splitting them. The irony is, when they finally implement crossplay, it will be mainly Xbox players playing against each other on different platforms because all the actual PC players have given up. I don't even know why they bothered. Why bring a game to a different platform if you are just going to cater to the players of the original platform. What's the point?

So far, Reach has been an even bigger disappointment and slap in the face to PC players than Halo 5 forge on PC was...
Did we just become best friends? Want to do Karate in the garage?!
Because casual players will definitely stick around when they notice CE too, just like Reach, only consists of a multiplayer in which only one weapon is really used and viable (pistol), has no theater and forge as well as having massive hitbox collision problems in campaign on the remastered graphics and the classic graphics still being messed up when 343 didn't bother to fix any of the Gearbox bugs.
Imagine Reach TU and CEA being your first introduction to the series, makes you question why the series was so popular to begin with.
ANDROKIO wrote:

Honestly well said.
Mmm. I'm afraid the 75% number is a bit wrong. As of today, the game has lost 93% of its players.
5. Aim assist

No point in getting better at the game when people can just plug in a controller vs you, it kills the motivation, one month has passed and nothing ha been done about AA. The silence is just an insult, just wish I could refund the collection.
ANDROKIO wrote:

I've said the same sentiments repeatedly on this forum during the third flight, leading all the way up to release, and moments after the release. Honestly 343 doesn't even listen/care at this point or they are extremely stubborn or ignorant of what makes PC competitive games good/fun to play.

When, at the highest levels of competition, you have an input that is handicapped but given an aimbot, while the other input has zero handicaps and zero assistance and is considered at a disadvantage, your game will fail 100% of the time. Keeping aim assist to enable cross play has to be one of the dumbest excuses I have heard, EVER. Cross play isn't even here yet and probably won't be for a long time, so why is this even a factor in your decision making right now? You have a much higher potential player base on PC, where the majority of players are using MKB, why on Earth would you cater to the community and population that has been in decline for the past decade already? IT MAKES ZERO SENSE.

SORRY BUT IT WAS SO OBVIOUS FROM THE BEGINNING. It actually makes me a little upset that they are this dumb.
Mmm. I'm afraid the 75% number is a bit wrong. As of today, the game has lost 93% of its players.
I just did some checking and we're both wrong but you're closer (https://steamdb.info/app/976730/graphs/), it's actually closer to %89.75 decline. I'm gonna update the title.
For what its worth, im enjoying the game and will keep on playing it.

Though they could start releasing the other games from the Master Chief Collection already
For what its worth, im enjoying the game and will keep on playing it.

Though they could start releasing the other games from the Master Chief Collection already
ya im just waiting for the others titles. I found myself bored with Reach more so of the state of how multiplayer is.
Riahisama wrote:
5. Aim assist

No point in getting better at the game when people can just plug in a controller vs you, it kills the motivation, one month has passed and nothing ha been done about AA. The silence is just an insult, just wish I could refund the collection.
Well... I believe they're just now getting back from their holidays. So, the silence makes sense. It's been a hot minute since we've heard anything, sure.. But it's not like they're just leaving us out in the cold.. Not yet, anyway.

I agree that it's concerning that their end game was to give us a game "how it was on the 360"... But... Why? How it was on the 360 is a giant mess of problems. A locked 30 FPS. Forge maps not working properly. An obnoxious aim assist, because "that's how Halo 1 and 2 was on PC at release". It's a game they promised would be given a decent PC treatment, but is just another console port...

Yeah, you can argue "it's a decade old game".. But... The PR responses are nothing short of insulting. Are they working on it? Sure. Are they listening to the right crowd? No. This sets the bar for what to expect with Infinite.. Even if it is a brand new game on a brand new engine. It's concerning in the long run and I hope they address this properly. Or else it will just be console players on PC.
How do you know how many people are playing the game anyway - across both Steam AND Windows 10? Because I'm seeing a whole bunch of Steam stats (and doom and gloom because the popularity is low on one platform, when PC has multiple platforms) but nothing on Windows 10. For all we know there might be 300K, 500K, 1M players playing through Game Pass subscriptions.
Tjoeb123 wrote:
How do you know how many people are playing the game anyway - across both Steam AND Windows 10? Because I'm seeing a whole bunch of Steam stats (and doom and gloom because the popularity is low on one platform, when PC has multiple platforms) but nothing on Windows 10. For all we know there might be 300K, 500K, 1M players playing through Game Pass subscriptions.
I know I been wondering the same thing as you said. Its puzzling. That people just going base on steam and not the game as a whole.
It will take a lot of time for those to come out. And if 343 keeps the leveling system then the games will probably die on release
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 13