Forums / Games / Halo: The Master Chief Collection (PC)

[Locked] Player Numbers: Down %89.75 Since Launch (Edit)

OP Fatal Error1337

  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 4
  4. 5
  5. 6
  6. 7
  7. 8
  8. ...
  9. 13
Given that 343 is already fully aware of the exact population, what are you trying to acheive by convicncing other players of the extent of the drop off?
Why does one need justification to speak the truth out loud?
You don't and I didn't say you did :)

There are many truths about the game but this one seems particuarly important to some folk.

I'm referring to the constant crusade to spread the bad news and convince other players. What's the motive? What are people aiming to accomplish?
People are trying to get 343 to see that we're extremely disappointed and want fixes. If we don't spread bad news and don't complain then fixes get ignored and the game dies.

The games already dying, we're just trying to keep it from being dead.
Given that 343 is already fully aware of the exact population, what are you trying to acheive by convicncing other players of the extent of the drop off?
Why does one need justification to speak the truth out loud?
You don't and I didn't say you did :)

There are many truths about the game but this one seems particuarly important to some folk.

I'm referring to the constant crusade to spread the bad news and convince other players. What's the motive? What are people aiming to accomplish?
I can't speak for others, but for me it's venting frustration and disappointment after getting hyped up for Halo on PC, and holding onto the pie in the sky hope that 343 might fix it.
Fair enough, I love a good vent but Yoinking! on the game is only gonna make things worse, spread bad sentiment and contibute to the downfall.
Given that 343 is already fully aware of the exact population, what are you trying to acheive by convicncing other players of the extent of the drop off?
Why does one need justification to speak the truth out loud?
You don't and I didn't say you did :)

There are many truths about the game but this one seems particuarly important to some folk.

I'm referring to the constant crusade to spread the bad news and convince other players. What's the motive? What are people aiming to accomplish?
I can't speak for others, but for me it's venting frustration and disappointment after getting hyped up for Halo on PC, and holding onto the pie in the sky hope that 343 might fix it.
Fair enough, I love a good vent but Yoinking! on the game is only gonna make things worse, spread bad sentiment and contibute to the downfall.
Or prompt 343 to look into the complaints and try to salvage the game before they decide to shut the servers down.

Or do nothing, and just shut up the Halo on PC community forever... because they will be able to say they tried it and it doesn't work, it was just rose tinted glasses etc etc etc..

Like I said, It really makes you wonder how they managed to drive this billion dollar IP into the ground so perfectly. It's gross incompetence or intentional. Either way, I can finally say... after 15 years... I am scared for Halo's future.
It's common on PC to see huge drops in the player base after a short while. Look at Apex or Fortnite - both had insane drops in numbers, yet they're still really popular. It's always like that - a game comes out, people give it a spin and on to the next thing. There's so much games to play on Steam alone. Warframe is another good example.
It's for the better IMO. People who are not into it leave, those who enjoy it stay.
Oh and uh... It's Reach. The m/kb vs. controller is one thing, sure, but it's still Reach. To say its multiplayer is a mixed-bag is an understatement.
MaxiList wrote:
HH TrypZ wrote:
5. Keyboard and Mouse being at a disadvantage against controller users. This is dettering the Competitive PC community from wanting to invest time into a game that puts you at a disadvantage against a severe aim-assist.

I know of atleast 5 very skilled fps players personally that know halo and didn't even last a day because it was such a joke in competitive playlists.

Once they realize that appealing to console players plugging in a controller on a PC platform is not where your true player base is on PC, then you will start to see PC players actually stick with it. If they don't it's going to continue to decline until you have just controller users and a very small amount of KB/M players.

Fix it.
nah. nah man, esports is no excuse, its like none of you 4heads remember MLG... you know, the OG halo competitive tournament hoster that changed the gaming industry? hmmm I wonder what interface they used. And before you say "oh well they all were on a level playing field because they all had controllers"... you cannot tell me that something as precise as a KBM interface cannot be used to greater effect than a controller, you just can't. period. endo.
KBM has a higher skill ceiling.
Yes you are correct that there is a much higher skill ceiling with kb/m and halo on xbox changed MLG forevet. But I'm not talking about MLG pros and we are also now talking about halo on PC. Not on console.

Competitive fps players on PC make up a much larger sum of the player base than most realize. Just about every pc fps player that i'm friends with in real life and have met through gaming want to be competitive. So putting all of those players at a disadvantage for using keyboard and mouse is a straight bullet to the foot for this game. These players want to play on KB/M and when they notice they are at a heavy disadvantage playing against people using a controller it is extremely off putting. Try them both for yourself and tell me you can't notice a ridiculous advantage. I haven't touched a controller in 5 years and was top fragging every game because shots just don't miss. Heavy aim assist and bullet magnetism against 0 aim assist on a long time to kill game like halo just doesn't work, it needs to be balanced. The most minor strafes can have your shots going right over your opponents shoulder and making you unload an entire dmr clip to finish off an enemy while a controller user drops you in 5 literally every time.

Nobody wants to play against that when you have to literally break a damn sweat and pop 17 adderall just to break an even K/D in competitive playlists. If you can't see that it needs to be fixed then you are not playing on KB/M, You are not playing competitive playlists and/or you have not taken the time to look into this issue or try the comparison yourself.
MaxiList wrote:
HH TrypZ wrote:
5. Keyboard and Mouse being at a disadvantage against controller users. This is dettering the Competitive PC community from wanting to invest time into a game that puts you at a disadvantage against a severe aim-assist.

I know of atleast 5 very skilled fps players personally that know halo and didn't even last a day because it was such a joke in competitive playlists.

Once they realize that appealing to console players plugging in a controller on a PC platform is not where your true player base is on PC, then you will start to see PC players actually stick with it. If they don't it's going to continue to decline until you have just controller users and a very small amount of KB/M players.

Fix it.
nah. nah man, esports is no excuse, its like none of you 4heads remember MLG... you know, the OG halo competitive tournament hoster that changed the gaming industry? hmmm I wonder what interface they used. And before you say "oh well they all were on a level playing field because they all had controllers"... you cannot tell me that something as precise as a KBM interface cannot be used to greater effect than a controller, you just can't. period. endo.
KBM has a higher skill ceiling.
You do you realize the only reason Halo and MLG was popular was because it was one of the first games to really break into the e-sports scene? If Halo 2 was released today, on console, in the current saturated gaming market, it would flop hard. Want to know why? Because nobody wants to watch or compete in a handicapped league with aimbots to compensate. That is the cold hard truth regarding competitive console FPS games; you are all a joke to the rest of the gaming world and 343 is catering to them because they still don't get it.

You said it yourself, MKB has an infinitely higher skill ceiling, so why is this game on PC catering to controller users?
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not repost content a moderator has removed, repost a topic that has been locked, or post about forum moderation decisions. If you have a question or concern about a forum moderation decision, please private message the applicable moderator.
*Original post. Click at your own discretion.
Spoiler:
Show
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please refrain from making non-constructive posts.
*Original post. Click at your own discretion.
Spoiler:
Show
Oresama68 wrote:
It's common on PC to see huge drops in the player base after a short while. Look at Apex or Fortnite - both had insane drops in numbers, yet they're still really popular. It's always like that - a game comes out, people give it a spin and on to the next thing. There's so much games to play on Steam alone. Warframe is another good example.
It's for the better IMO. People who are not into it leave, those who enjoy it stay.
Oh and uh... It's Reach. The m/kb vs. controller is one thing, sure, but it's still Reach. To say its multiplayer is a mixed-bag is an understatement.
What?

When you experience sharp playerbase decline due to, as you say, hype expired, that's fine.

But to say it's ok to lose the hundreds of thousands of players because the game is unfinished and full of glaring oversights? That's no valid excuse. Lol.

Stop being a blind apologist. Be realistic!

On topic, I won't be playing until they fix the audio issues, add a second keybinding column, and various other improvements that should have been in at launch.
Poor wording, my bad - I didn't mean that it is normal that Reach launched the way it did. In fact, in another thread about Legendary playthrough not being recorded, I was saying that during Flight Three I thought the game wasn't quite ready yet, but they still decided to launch it as-is.

I totally get where you stand, and why you stand there. I'm an indie dev, some of the issues Reach shipped with are beyond me both as gamer and a dev. However, Reach is far from being the most popular title in the franchise and sharp drops in playerbase are very common on PC. Out of those 90% players that have already quit, I'm fairly sure at least 50% will come back for Halo 3. I think that's why they released "in the story's chronological order" actually - most people I know around me are waiting for H2 or H3. By then, all of us die hard can beta-test basically.

About audio issues, a band-aid that may help you: using "-nopagefilecheck" argument (without quotes). For me it helps with audio desync, but not much else.
Oresama68 wrote:
Oresama68 wrote:
It's common on PC to see huge drops in the player base after a short while. Look at Apex or Fortnite - both had insane drops in numbers, yet they're still really popular. It's always like that - a game comes out, people give it a spin and on to the next thing. There's so much games to play on Steam alone. Warframe is another good example.
It's for the better IMO. People who are not into it leave, those who enjoy it stay.
Oh and uh... It's Reach. The m/kb vs. controller is one thing, sure, but it's still Reach. To say its multiplayer is a mixed-bag is an understatement.
What?

When you experience sharp playerbase decline due to, as you say, hype expired, that's fine.

But to say it's ok to lose the hundreds of thousands of players because the game is unfinished and full of glaring oversights? That's no valid excuse. Lol.

Stop being a blind apologist. Be realistic!

On topic, I won't be playing until they fix the audio issues, add a second keybinding column, and various other improvements that should have been in at launch.
Poor wording, my bad - I didn't mean that it is normal that Reach launched the way it did. In fact, in another thread about Legendary playthrough not being recorded, I was saying that during Flight Three I thought the game wasn't quite ready yet, but they still decided to launch it as-is.

I totally get where you stand, and why you stand there. I'm an indie dev, some of the issues Reach shipped with are beyond me both as gamer and a dev. However, Reach is far from being the most popular title in the franchise and sharp drops in playerbase are very common on PC. Out of those 90% players that have already quit, I'm fairly sure at least 50% will come back for Halo 3. I think that's why they released "in the story's chronological order" actually - most people I know around me are waiting for H2 or H3. By then, all of us die hard can beta-test basically.

About audio issues, a band-aid that may help you: using "-nopagefilecheck" argument (without quotes). For me it helps with audio desync, but not much else.
If nothing is done about AA on controller on PC for future Halo releases, neither me or my friends will come back.
I somehow think that crossplay is affecting this a lot. Correct me if I am wrong but aren't pc player playing also against console player? If that's the case it would be a disadvantage for the console player as well if they get a nerf on aim assist. I don't think there is a perfect balancing if crossplay is truly a thing between pc and console.
I somehow think that crossplay is affecting this a lot. Correct me if I am wrong but aren't pc player playing also against console player? If that's the case it would be a disadvantage for the console player as well if they get a nerf on aim assist. I don't think there is a perfect balancing if crossplay is truly a thing between pc and console.
no point in crossplay if the only players left are the ones with controler might aswell get the xbox version lol
I just uninstalled, confident that there will be nothing done.
Especially with the only updates being "playlist updates".
I somehow think that crossplay is affecting this a lot. Correct me if I am wrong but aren't pc player playing also against console player? If that's the case it would be a disadvantage for the console player as well if they get a nerf on aim assist. I don't think there is a perfect balancing if crossplay is truly a thing between pc and console.
There's no crossplay between PC and console. But just like everything else it's "bEiNg lOoKEd iNTo"...
I just uninstalled, confident that there will be nothing done.
Especially with the only updates being "playlist updates".
You do realize there are 5 more full fledged Halo titles coming to the MCC throughout the year, as well as forge and theater modes?
Oresama68 wrote:
It's common on PC to see huge drops in the player base after a short while. Look at Apex or Fortnite - both had insane drops in numbers, yet they're still really popular. It's always like that - a game comes out, people give it a spin and on to the next thing. There's so much games to play on Steam alone. Warframe is another good example.
It's for the better IMO. People who are not into it leave, those who enjoy it stay.
Oh and uh... It's Reach. The m/kb vs. controller is one thing, sure, but it's still Reach. To say its multiplayer is a mixed-bag is an understatement.
I fully expect the player base to spike every time a new Halo game comes out throughout the year. I'm sure once all 6 titles in the MCC are released, the final playerbase will be much larger than it is now. I feel like people forgot that more content is coming to MCC.
I somehow think that crossplay is affecting this a lot. Correct me if I am wrong but aren't pc player playing also against console player? If that's the case it would be a disadvantage for the console player as well if they get a nerf on aim assist. I don't think there is a perfect balancing if crossplay is truly a thing between pc and console.
Perhaps, but the thing is, the aim assist can be tweaked to improve the balance as much as possible.

343s issue, is they outright refuse to tweak the balance whatsoever. They've got this moronic idea of crossplay without doing any actual balancing...
HOrobOD1 wrote:
I fully expect the player base to spike every time a new Halo game comes out throughout the year. I'm sure once all 6 titles in the MCC are released, the final playerbase will be much larger than it is now. I feel like people forgot that more content is coming to MCC.
That's what I was getting at in my previous post. Out of those 90% that left, I expect at least 50% to come back for each release. Probably more for H3. I don't see much people sticiking with Reach when H2/3 will be out tho, except people who are really into it although each release will bring a temporary player-base bump for each game, mark my words.
As OP and others pointed out tho, some won't even bother and some won't stay at all - for good reasons don't get me wrong - if 343 doesn't get things ironed out by then. I assume that this is why Reach was released first (On PC I mean) - "early-adopters" are used as play-testing. Microsoft does Q&A the exact same way for Win 10 after all, so why would they do anything else for their biggest gaming franchise...

To play devil's advocate regarding aim-assist, there's no solution that'll please everyone. My personal take on it would be to have crossplay, but to be able to choose kb/m only, controller only and mixed lobbys for MP. If you switch mid-game, you either get kicked or gain no XP or whatnot. Co-op & Firefight crossplay would be nice and is something I assume most people would enjoy but the crazy aim-assist vs the broken kb/m, in MP? Yeah, no.
I would have to agree about the lack of Forge and custom games. It was one of the things I played the most, and was severely disappointed when I saw that it was not part of the initial package when they introduced the MCC to PC. Due to that its been a hit and miss for me as far as game play goes...
2. Lack of Features: As many of you know Forge mode is still not slated for a specific release date. And so with the lack of Forge comes the lack of custom game modes. I know personally that nearly as much or most of my multiplayer time in Reach, back when it launched on the Xbox360, was spent in custom games created in Forge. This provided a constant steam of new content that did not require DLC and so there was almost always something new to do. To a lesser extent, the lack of Theater mode also prevents what is essentially free advertising, especially within social media and meme sharing sites.
And I have to bring up the creativity custom games creates within the community. It was so fun to experience all the crazy things people came up with back in the day.
I personally lost interest in the game because most multiplayer games have DMR start and a lack of playlist to choose from. I especially miss custom games. I’d like to point out that Reach multiplayer on 360 was the most fun I've ever had in a multiplayer experience.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 4
  4. 5
  5. 6
  6. 7
  7. 8
  8. ...
  9. 13