Forums / Games / Halo: The Master Chief Collection (PC)

Please(!!) Reduce DMR Damage to Vehicles

OP Rusttey

  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
I don't think I've ever talked to someone that didn't think it was absurd how much damage the DMR does to vehicles, Back in 2010, or now.
There are already more ways to destroy a vehicle in this game than there were in Halo 3 and the fact that every player spawns with an all-ranges Anti-tank rifle with bullets that capsize a warthog is just anti-fun overkill for any poor sod who wants to use the (frankly) paper mache vehicles in this game.

Hyperbole aside, it's probably my biggest gripe with the game and it's frustrating because vehicles feel so good to use in Reach- I actually enjoy Elite Slayer on Spire because the banshees are actually a threat and it's honestly depressing that combat variety in Reach is so strangled by how overtuned the DMR is, a problem made even worse by the increased fire-rate in this version of Reach.

I feel Bungie slept on this issue back in the day as it was never addressed in the TU, and if the devs are hesitant to act on DMR starts on BTB where the bulk of vehicle combat happens, the least they can do is something about what I see is genuinely one of the worst aspects of this game.
I rather camp in base and snipe with the DMR than hop into the Wraith or any smaller vehicle.
Only the Scorpion is worth the risk.
Its fun because the DMR is god like against vehicles but in the other hand the nedleer rifle bounces... Who made a weapon that bounces?
I rather camp in base and snipe with the DMR than hop into the Wraith or any smaller vehicle.
Only the Scorpion is worth the risk.
Sadly with DMR starts on big wide open maps with little cover where vehicles should be strong, this kind of gameplay is strongest. It also gets stale fast.
I rather camp in base and snipe with the DMR than hop into the Wraith or any smaller vehicle.
Only the Scorpion is worth the risk.
Yeah at least with the scorpion if you are vigilant and quick enough you can snipe the people hitting you with DMRs before they slink back into their hidey holes. The wraith is many cases is just useless and gets picked off before it can do anything.

Also the Falcon is beyond useless. I honestly don't know why people even bother to get in it in BTB. If you know there is a Gauss hog AND scorpion on the map that can one shot you, why bother? Just add the falcon from the campaign with the grenade launchers, at least it might be somewhat useful then.
No I dont think they will.
Yeah, getting into any vehicle is practically suicide. You are just giving the enemy team free points. The concentrated fire of 8 dmrs cross mapping you in a vehicle turns them to a pile of exploding wreckage faster than what should be possible. I will keep doing what i have been doing, hide in my base, poke my head out for 1/10th of a second, shoot once, get shot 3 times and wait for my health and shields to recharge. Or do what i have been doing as of late, just not playing the game.
We just need to make BTB AR/Pistol starts. Pistol is more than enough to protect yourself at spawn until you find a better weapon, but it doesn't have the zoom nor mag to mindlessly spam gunners off the Warthogs and Falcons.
It really is sad that so many Halo players can't see the forest for the trees. The DMR doesn't do "too much" damage to vehicles, the vehicles take too much permanent damage from small arms fire. The problem of paper vehicles is always going to be an issue as long as the chip damage system which is exactly what happened with Halo 4 and 5.

If you want to advocate for something that will actually make the game better at least advocate for a Halo 2/3 style vehicle system.
WerepyreND wrote:
It really is sad that so many Halo players can't see the forest for the trees. The DMR doesn't do "too much" damage to vehicles, the vehicles take too much permanent damage from small arms fire. The problem of paper vehicles is always going to be an issue as long as the chip damage system which is exactly what happened with Halo 4 and 5.

If you want to advocate for something that will actually make the game better at least advocate for a Halo 2/3 style vehicle system.
DMR fans continue to say that the majority who have less fun in DMR-start matches are just uninformed and fail to fathom the majesty of the ubiquitous DMR, but Ranked 4v4 Slayer (DMRs) is dead, while Social 4v4 Slayer (AR/Mag) is thriving. If you have a way to explain why you think you're right and OP is wrong, please communicate it, but statements like the above do not help your point, nor do they sway anyone to your side.

H2-style vehicle health would be cool tho, I agree. But I suppose that's what we'll have H2/H3 for. It's testing my patience, but I'll keep trying to hold out, rather than try making this game into H2 for my lack of patience.
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not post spam.
*Original post. Click at your own discretion.
Spoiler:
Show
WerepyreND wrote:
It really is sad that so many Halo players can't see the forest for the trees. The DMR doesn't do "too much" damage to vehicles, the vehicles take too much permanent damage from small arms fire. The problem of paper vehicles is always going to be an issue as long as the chip damage system which is exactly what happened with Halo 4 and 5.

If you want to advocate for something that will actually make the game better at least advocate for a Halo 2/3 style vehicle system.
DMR fans continue to say that the majority who have less fun in DMR-start matches are just uninformed and fail to fathom the majesty of the ubiquitous DMR, but Ranked 4v4 Slayer (DMRs) is dead, while Social 4v4 Slayer (AR/Mag) is thriving. If you have a way to explain why you think you're right and OP is wrong, please communicate it, but statements like the above do not help your point, nor do they sway anyone to your side.

H2-style vehicle health would be cool tho, I agree. But I suppose that's what we'll have H2/H3 for. It's testing my patience, but I'll keep trying to hold out, rather than try making this game into H2 for my lack of patience.
I'm going to continue to call out ignorance where I see it. The major difference between CE-3 BTB and Reach BTB is not the DMR, its the vehicle system, plain and simple.

Going to have to see a source for AR/Mag "thriving" as opposed to social simply staying as popular as it always was. This also may be a surprise to you, but not everyone who wants DMR starts wants to sweat it up in some ranked playlist, especially in a game this old. I can also tell you that I do enjoy the mixed game nature of the composer, so having Reach(and Halo 3 for that matter) be stuck with terrible settings that I can't opt out of is beyond disappointing.

Apparently its fine to change Reach BTB to AR starts to satisfy your preferences, but actually fixing the vehicles is too much.
As much as I’d like to see vehicles be made more viable in Reach, I’m not sure 343 is willing to rebalance old Halo games. Though as someone pointed out above, the issue isn’t just the DMR being OP. Its the way Reach (and 4 and 5) handles vehicle health in general compared to Halo 2 and 3.
Yeah I doubt 343 will make any gameplay changes. They are porting old Halo games as is, not going in and tweaking the original source code. My guess is they are only willing to make playlist changes and bug fixes.
WerepyreND wrote:
It really is sad that so many Halo players can't see the forest for the trees. The DMR doesn't do "too much" damage to vehicles, the vehicles take too much permanent damage from small arms fire. The problem of paper vehicles is always going to be an issue as long as the chip damage system which is exactly what happened with Halo 4 and 5.

If you want to advocate for something that will actually make the game better at least advocate for a Halo 2/3 style vehicle system.
Shoot a vehicle with a needle rifle then shoot it with a DMR. In fact, just shoot a vehicle with most weapons in the game bar power weapons or play Elite slayer, suddenly vehicles play a lot differently

Not going to deny what you're saying isn't an issue but I can't possibly see how you can say the DMR is not a problem when the closest another weapon comes to replicating the DMR's effect on vehicles is the Sniper Rifle- except everyone spawns with one
Rusttey wrote:
WerepyreND wrote:
It really is sad that so many Halo players can't see the forest for the trees. The DMR doesn't do "too much" damage to vehicles, the vehicles take too much permanent damage from small arms fire. The problem of paper vehicles is always going to be an issue as long as the chip damage system which is exactly what happened with Halo 4 and 5.

If you want to advocate for something that will actually make the game better at least advocate for a Halo 2/3 style vehicle system.
Shoot a vehicle with a needle rifle then shoot it with a DMR. In fact, just shoot a vehicle with most weapons in the game bar power weapons or play Elite slayer, suddenly vehicles play a lot differently

Not going to deny what you're saying isn't an issue but I can't possibly see how you can say the DMR is not a problem when the closest another weapon comes to replicating the DMR's effect on vehicles is the Sniper Rifle- except everyone spawns with one
And there's also the range. Even if it is true that vehicles take too much damage overall, the DMR can start dealing damage from all distances.
Rusttey wrote:
WerepyreND wrote:
It really is sad that so many Halo players can't see the forest for the trees. The DMR doesn't do "too much" damage to vehicles, the vehicles take too much permanent damage from small arms fire. The problem of paper vehicles is always going to be an issue as long as the chip damage system which is exactly what happened with Halo 4 and 5.

If you want to advocate for something that will actually make the game better at least advocate for a Halo 2/3 style vehicle system.
Shoot a vehicle with a needle rifle then shoot it with a DMR. In fact, just shoot a vehicle with most weapons in the game bar power weapons or play Elite slayer, suddenly vehicles play a lot differently

Not going to deny what you're saying isn't an issue but I can't possibly see how you can say the DMR is not a problem when the closest another weapon comes to replicating the DMR's effect on vehicles is the Sniper Rifle- except everyone spawns with one
And there's also the range. Even if it is true that vehicles take too much damage overall, the DMR can start dealing damage from all distances.
This. Most weapons have an effective range that must be taken into account when using them, which shows skill and experience. However, the DMR just works from nearly every distance. You don't need to keep your range nor anything like that, just be accurate and pace your shots (which was made easier with the TU).
Rusttey wrote:
WerepyreND wrote:
It really is sad that so many Halo players can't see the forest for the trees. The DMR doesn't do "too much" damage to vehicles, the vehicles take too much permanent damage from small arms fire. The problem of paper vehicles is always going to be an issue as long as the chip damage system which is exactly what happened with Halo 4 and 5.

If you want to advocate for something that will actually make the game better at least advocate for a Halo 2/3 style vehicle system.
Shoot a vehicle with a needle rifle then shoot it with a DMR. In fact, just shoot a vehicle with most weapons in the game bar power weapons or play Elite slayer, suddenly vehicles play a lot differently

Not going to deny what you're saying isn't an issue but I can't possibly see how you can say the DMR is not a problem when the closest another weapon comes to replicating the DMR's effect on vehicles is the Sniper Rifle- except everyone spawns with one
Too bad that has exactly nothing to do with the point I was making. This kind of superficial criticism is the reason we still have the garbage chip damage system 2 games later.

DMR starts have always been the standard for Reach BTB, if you don't like how it plays fine, don't play BTB.
WerepyreND wrote:
Rusttey wrote:
WerepyreND wrote:
It really is sad that so many Halo players can't see the forest for the trees. The DMR doesn't do "too much" damage to vehicles, the vehicles take too much permanent damage from small arms fire. The problem of paper vehicles is always going to be an issue as long as the chip damage system which is exactly what happened with Halo 4 and 5.

If you want to advocate for something that will actually make the game better at least advocate for a Halo 2/3 style vehicle system.
Shoot a vehicle with a needle rifle then shoot it with a DMR. In fact, just shoot a vehicle with most weapons in the game bar power weapons or play Elite slayer, suddenly vehicles play a lot differently

Not going to deny what you're saying isn't an issue but I can't possibly see how you can say the DMR is not a problem when the closest another weapon comes to replicating the DMR's effect on vehicles is the Sniper Rifle- except everyone spawns with one
Too bad that has exactly nothing to do with the point I was making. This kind of superficial criticism is the reason we still have the garbage chip damage system 2 games later.

DMR starts have always been the standard for Reach BTB, if you don't like how it plays fine, don't play BTB.
Please tell me why this has exactly nothing to do with the point you were making and why the criticism is superficial

You seem to think everyone is just ignorant and only YOU know the real reason why vehicles are weak despite the fact any idiot can jump into a game and just chew through any vehicle they see with the DMR from any distance(but not other easily accessible weapons funnily enough)

Did you know something can have more than ONE issue?
Rusttey wrote:
WerepyreND wrote:
Rusttey wrote:
WerepyreND wrote:
It really is sad that so many Halo players can't see the forest for the trees. The DMR doesn't do "too much" damage to vehicles, the vehicles take too much permanent damage from small arms fire. The problem of paper vehicles is always going to be an issue as long as the chip damage system which is exactly what happened with Halo 4 and 5.

If you want to advocate for something that will actually make the game better at least advocate for a Halo 2/3 style vehicle system.
Shoot a vehicle with a needle rifle then shoot it with a DMR. In fact, just shoot a vehicle with most weapons in the game bar power weapons or play Elite slayer, suddenly vehicles play a lot differently

Not going to deny what you're saying isn't an issue but I can't possibly see how you can say the DMR is not a problem when the closest another weapon comes to replicating the DMR's effect on vehicles is the Sniper Rifle- except everyone spawns with one
Too bad that has exactly nothing to do with the point I was making. This kind of superficial criticism is the reason we still have the garbage chip damage system 2 games later.

DMR starts have always been the standard for Reach BTB, if you don't like how it plays fine, don't play BTB.
Please tell me why this has exactly nothing to do with the point you were making and why the criticism is superficial

You seem to think everyone is just ignorant and only YOU know the real reason why vehicles are weak despite the fact any idiot can jump into a game and just chew through any vehicle they see with the DMR from any distance(but not other easily accessible weapons funnily enough)

Did you know something can have more than ONE issue?
You are still stuck on the DMR when the chip damage system is the issue underlying all of it. The fundamental difference going from 3 to Reach is the change in how vehicles function, not spawning with a precision weapon in BTB. Focusing on just the DMR does nothing but muddy the waters and ensure nothing productive ever gets done.

The point you are missing is that fixing the underlying system fixes all vehicles and weapons removing DMR starts is just trying to sweep it under the rug.

I'm going to call a spade a spade when players are making the exact same arguments their predecessors made almost a decade ago.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2