Forums / Games / Halo: The Master Chief Collection (PC)

Questions about Keyboard/Mouse Control Setups

OP DougGregglass

Hello,
I played Halo CE, Halo 2, and Halo 3 quite a bit on the xbox and xbox 360 several years back. I no longer have an xbox, but am looking forward to the Halo MCC coming out on PC. Just yesterday, I finally found a good way to enjoy older Halo content on PC (SPV3) while I wait for the MCC release.

This is the first time I'm setting up Keyboard/Mouse controls for Halo, and I wondered what other people have found work well. For Halo CE, I think I have something that works. But, eventually, with Halo 2 dual wielding weapons will be a possibility, and I'm not sure what the best way is to assign controls for that. I'd like to set up controls now with dual wielding in mind, so that I don't need to re-learn a control set up. I was wondering if someone that played Halo 2/3 on the PC could share how they set up their controls.

For example, I think the most obvious choice would be weapon 1 on left mouse button and weapon 2 on right mouse button. But then is it confusing to have left mouse control the weapon on the right on the screen (and vice versa)? Then does that also leave mouse 2 unused if you're not dual wielding (or is it assigned as grenades as well)?

Thanks!

edit - another option would be to get a blue tooth controller for my laptop. If there a recommendations for good, cheap ones, I'd be happy to hear them.
With default controls:
  • Left mouse fires your gun
  • Right mouse throws grenades
And when you dual wield:
  • Left mouse fires your left gun
  • Right mouse fires your right gun
It feels very awkward to get used to. Having left mouse fire your main (right hand) gun all the time would make more sense to me, but unfortunately I don't think you can bind it like that on Halo 2 (I haven't found a way, anyway). Hopefully they change it in the MCC port.

If you're going for a controller I'd get a wired USB one to minimize input lag and eliminate charging. Since it's a laptop you won't be far enough away for a cable to be an issue anyway, but it is personal preference. You can get wired 360 controllers online quite cheap (~£10/$15), or wireless ones for a bit more (~£17/$21). 360 controllers do the job just fine, but if you're going wireless I think you have to buy a wireless receiver as well.
Thanks. I actually like the way they set it up for Halo 2 (at least in theory).

For $15, I may give the controller a try. I only played for a little while last night, but mouse and keyboard just didn't feel the same...
As someone who has played for their entire life on PC with every genre for PC games, I will say this, you will have to learn to use a mouse and keyboard if you want to be able to play well on PC, especially when it comes to FPS games. FPS PC gamers are used to fast responses and quick reflexes with mouse movement. If you think that the way people will play Halo on PC will be different to how people play, for example CSGO, unfortunately, that is not correct. Games like CSGO and Rainbow Six Siege reward those with quick reflexes and skills, as well as good team coordination.

The point I am making is that, if you plan on playing FPS games on PC, you have to learn to use mouse and keyboard, otherwise people who know how to use this control setup will effectively prevent you from having any sort of fun because you cannot simply turn around 180 degrees in half a second with a controller. I have recently tried playing Halo Reach on an Xbox with a friend, and it took me a while to get used to the controller. It does feel weird aiming with a controller instead of a mouse, and I guess you have that same feeling.

But unfortunately, in the case of PC gaming, when it comes to FPS games, there is really only one setup that will help you the most when it comes to intensive PVP matches. However, most FPS games use the same keybindings so whatever you learn from one game will help you in another game.

Give it a few weeks, and you will be fine.
edit - another option would be to get a blue tooth controller for my laptop. If there a recommendations for good, cheap ones, I'd be happy to hear them.
You could buy a wireless 360 controller, they are pretty cheap (warning though, I bought one of those a few years back and the quality has really degraded, nothing like the original controllers that you got with a 360 (squeaky sticks/triggers, horrible d-pad, sticks not centering)

Microsoft Xbox 360 Wireless Controller -

Personally I use a PS4 controller on my PC with an Asus BT400 dongle

ASUS USB-BT400 USB Adapter w/Bluetooth Dongle Receiver -

You can also use the official MS adapter if you have an XB1 controller laying around

Microsoft Xbox One Wireless Adapter for Windows (Bulk Packaging)
Personally id recommend either a XB1 bluetooth controller (the ones released with the one s were able to be used via BT, just hold xbox button for 3s and add it via BT search) or a PS4 controller (simply hold share and PS button til light bar flashes quickly). Both are usually less than $40 at local pawn shops or online.
Terg500 wrote:
You could buy a wireless 360 controller, they are pretty cheap (warning though, I bought one of those a few years back and the quality has really degraded, nothing like the original controllers that you got with a 360 (squeaky sticks/triggers, horrible d-pad, sticks not centering)

Microsoft Xbox 360 Wireless Controller -

Personally I use a PS4 controller on my PC with an Asus BT400 dongle

ASUS USB-BT400 USB Adapter w/Bluetooth Dongle Receiver -

You can also use the official MS adapter if you have an XB1 controller laying around

Microsoft Xbox One Wireless Adapter for Windows (Bulk Packaging)
Can we make a petition for an achievement to pop when you play halo with the ps4 controller called “There can be no greater heresy” I’m just saying the opportunity is too god to pass up.
As someone who has played for their entire life on PC with every genre for PC games, I will say this, you will have to learn to use a mouse and keyboard if you want to be able to play well on PC, especially when it comes to FPS games. FPS PC gamers are used to fast responses and quick reflexes with mouse movement. If you think that the way people will play Halo on PC will be different to how people play, for example CSGO, unfortunately, that is not correct. Games like CSGO and Rainbow Six Siege reward those with quick reflexes and skills, as well as good team coordination.

The point I am making is that, if you plan on playing FPS games on PC, you have to learn to use mouse and keyboard, otherwise people who know how to use this control setup will effectively prevent you from having any sort of fun because you cannot simply turn around 180 degrees in half a second with a controller. I have recently tried playing Halo Reach on an Xbox with a friend, and it took me a while to get used to the controller. It does feel weird aiming with a controller instead of a mouse, and I guess you have that same feeling.

But unfortunately, in the case of PC gaming, when it comes to FPS games, there is really only one setup that will help you the most when it comes to intensive PVP matches. However, most FPS games use the same keybindings so whatever you learn from one game will help you in another game.

Give it a few weeks, and you will be fine.
I can relate to this . I grew up using consoles and I still have an xbox one x which I use exclusively for halo . I was using my controller last night and because I have used it for years it feels natural .

Six months ago I got myself a gaming PC and the first few weeks were rough . I hated the keyboard and mouse setup , I thought about plugging in my xbox one elite controller but I didn't, I persevered and retrained myself . Where theres a will theres a way and now I'm enjoying silky smooth 100+ frame rates with crisp mouse control .

When I feel like playing halo its back to controller and while halo is really fun the controls now feel sluggish and inaccurate compared to KB/M .

when I found out Halo was coming to PC I was made up and have been super hyped ever since .

Never be afraid to put yourself out of your comfort zone and learn something new and that goes with anything in life . So grab that keyboard and that mouse and put the hour in if you can , its well worth it in my opinion .

Remember the day you stop learning is the day you die .
When I feel like playing halo its back to controller and while halo is really fun the controls now feel sluggish and inaccurate compared to KB/M .
This is pretty much my problem - except in my case, I've been a PC gamer since around 2000 or so (started with Half-Life), and bought an Xbox for the first time a couple years ago to finally play the rest of the Halo games. Using a controller to play FPS games just feels so strange to me. I'm still getting used to it (I have only recently actually put a real effort into playing Halo on Xbox), and in just a few weeks of playing on-and-off I'm already noticing improvement. But it's difficult to get used to not having the ability to quickly and accurately adjust my aim, or to make a 180-degree turn in a split second to engage an enemy coming up behind me. Usually if someone starts shooting me from behind (especially with the pistol in CE), I just give up and let them kill me. My reflexes with the controller are just nowhere near fast enough yet to make that sort of move, but if I was on PC, I'd easily be able to. Then again, on PC my opponents would also have the same advantages afforded by a mouse, so it would probably be a more challenging gameplay experience anyway.
Thank you all for the feedback.

I found a 3rd party driver last night that allowed me to plug my son's Switch Pro controller into my laptop and have it recognized as an Xbox controller. Even though it's been years since I played an FPS on the console (and I've spent a little bit of time lately playing some other PC games using KB/M) it was immediately more comfortable, intuitive, and honestly enjoyable for me. I don't plan on doing anything competitive (will probably just play SP campaigns), so I will probably go the controller route. Another factor was that the way my desk and laptop are set up, using mouse and keyboard for any extended period of time had some ergonomic issues...

Now I'm trying to decide if I want to continue to borrow the switch controller and run the 3rd party app whenever I play, or just get a dedicated Power-A wire controller...
Thank you all for the feedback.

I found a 3rd party driver last night that allowed me to plug my son's Switch Pro controller into my laptop and have it recognized as an Xbox controller. Even though it's been years since I played an FPS on the console (and I've spent a little bit of time lately playing some other PC games using KB/M) it was immediately more comfortable, intuitive, and honestly enjoyable for me. I don't plan on doing anything competitive (will probably just play SP campaigns), so I will probably go the controller route. Another factor was that the way my desk and laptop are set up, using mouse and keyboard for any extended period of time had some ergonomic issues...

Now I'm trying to decide if I want to continue to borrow the switch controller and run the 3rd party app whenever I play, or just get a dedicated Power-A wire controller...
Whatever you find works best for you, mate. Gaming should be about what's most comfortable and enjoyable for the person playing, and if KBM isn't your cup of tea then it isn't your cup of tea.
If you're not planning to play at higher levels in ladder or just play single player modes/social playlists you may as well keep playing with a controller. Trust me and just use whatever you're more confortable with. If you want a good controller you can pick up an Xbox One controller for very good prices if you look around and you can connect it to PC with a micro USB cable. They are very good controllers, so you won't regret it. If you want to keep going with M/K then just find an aim/sens guide for generic FPS, setup settings correctly and play a lot so you'll get used to it.