Forums / Games / Halo: The Master Chief Collection (PC)

[Locked] Reduce aim assist on MCC PC

OP Jonald5446

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 76
  4. 77
  5. 78
  6. 79
  7. 80
  8. ...
  9. 85
I hate this forum, this is why nobody cares about Halo.
Bunch of incels -Yoink- measuring stats that they've invested all their self worth into.
i wasn’t a part of that :p
Not you silly billy.
Not you silly billy.
yea sadly thats this game nowadays I can't get a refund but im sure as heck not buying infinite after this, the community is so toxic it makes me want to never buy a microsoft game again.
luke5135 wrote:
Not you silly billy.
yea sadly thats this game nowadays I can't get a refund but im sure as heck not buying infinite after this, the community is so toxic it makes me want to never buy a microsoft game again.
This is about how every games online community is now-a-days. So if you're planning to jump onto another game you'll probably going to deal with the same type of behavior over there as well.

This is why I generally prefer singleplayer and coop games now-a-days. Much more pleasant most of the time.
luke5135 wrote:
Not you silly billy.
Hate to say it man. Go to any game community and there always going to be half toxic people. The way I see it you can't please everyone. I'm just glad I don't know a lot of the toxic players here in real life as I like to keep a positive attitude even if things get a bit rocky. No difference on how I am here.
And people are *still* talking about mouse "precision" in a 60FPS poorly optimized console port with bad netcode to top it off... Sigh...
I'm curious, what does 60FPS or net code have to do with mouse precision? I know it can make it more difficult to play yes, but that difficulty is shared between everyone playing the game regardless of wither or not they're using keyboard and mouse or controller...
The mouse input doesn't feel normal or natural in any sense, but people are talking like this is a native PC title at a high framerate. Far less precision is needed with a controller. When the framerate is this low and the netcode is this bad, it increases the benefit of having controller auto aim, which makes adjustments for you.

As you know, Halo was initially designed around controller input. Making a quick, crappy port and allowing mouse input doesn't mean that the inputs are balanced. Not only is the mouse input totally unoptimized, but they strengthened the auto aim of controllers.

It also doesn't help when 1 in 10 of my sniper rifle shots don't even register. Blood shots are infuriating. People say that sniping with KBM is easy mode. It's not easy when I flick fast and the shot doesn't even damage the enemy. This is especially bad in competitive where you get 8 bullets every 2 minutes and any landed shot can make or break a play. I think the blood shots are more frequent when you're trying to flick or you land a shot on a sliver of the enemy, which is how lots of KBM players hit shots. No online game is perfect, but the registry in Halo is the worst I've seen in years.
One the topic of aim assist, I want to ask everyone if this is a good compromise:

Aim assist itself would work mostly the same as it does right now, except it never kicks in unless the player is actively aiming. IE: Touching the right stick.

Right now, aim assist kicks in even if you're only strafing around. Aim assist should assist your aim, not aim for you.
luke5135 wrote:
Not you silly billy.
This is about how every games online community is now-a-days. So if you're planning to jump onto another game you'll probably going to deal with the same type of behavior over there as well.

This is why I generally prefer singleplayer and coop games now-a-days. Much more pleasant most of the time.
not really even the new cod is less toxic.

One the topic of aim assist, I want to ask everyone if this is a good compromise:

Aim assist itself would work mostly the same as it does right now, except it never kicks in unless the player is actively aiming. IE: Touching the right stick.

Right now, aim assist kicks in even if you're only strafing around. Aim assist should assist your aim, not aim for you.
it needs to be toned down completely as a whole.
All the solutions that I think could possibly be done:
- Input-based matchmaking
- AA removal from ranked playlist on PC
- Complete AA removal on PC
- Only cross-platform play enables AA (replaces Input-based matchmaking, mitigating community split)

that would lead to nothing as all the player needs to do is slightly move the right stick and the aim assist turns on
Scaggles wrote:
Wow, people are STILL complaining about this and pretending it somehow gives controller users some kind of general advantage over people using a vastly superior input method?

The AA absolutely does not make up for the bevy of other advantages a mouse offers, you people are beyond delusional. The limited sensitivity alone makes pads objectively worse. At close range, the AA makes gamepads competitive, at long rage, it does nothing and mouse users have a massive accuracy advantage. Sure it helps you by snapping your reticle to the player when you're already about on them, but actually getting to that point quickly where the AA can even activate is where the mouse craps all over gamepads. In fact I've had the AA work against me many times, screwing up shots by tracking another player for a split second because they crossed my field of view or were very close to the player I had my sights on. I'd be willing to bet a lot of what players are attributing to the AA is bullet magnetism at work at least in-part as well.

Really just sounds like (mediocre) M+KB players are salty they don't get to absolutely dominate and that gamepad players can actually compete on some level. 343 isn't going to remove the AA because they want people to actually be able to play. People are saying THIS is the reason the population is dropping? Because some salty tryhards think the AA is too strong or just parrot as much because that's what they read online? lolno, making gamepads basically useless and effectively removing the input method half the population uses would do far more damage to the game's longevity, you are a vocal minority. What players ARE fed up with is the botched linear progression and absurd exp grind, and lots are simply waiting for the rest of the games.
And again we have a player who's highest competitive rank is 1 trying to tell everyone it is not an issue. Play past rank 20 in Team Hardcore or Team Slayer and tell me it is not an issue. Landing consistent shots in a ranked gametype is 75% of the battle. The rest is Teamwork/communication and map control.

If you get outshot 90% of the battles you are in, you lose every game. Which you most likely will in a competitive setting at higher levels on KB/M when you are playing skilled controller players who know exactly how to utilize aim assist and strafing to their advantage.
Try it for yourself and then try to justify it. Because there is no justification when you experience it first hand and try both sides of the arguement.
Scaggles wrote:
Wow, people are STILL complaining about this and pretending it somehow gives controller users some kind of general advantage over people using a vastly superior input method?

The AA absolutely does not make up for the bevy of other advantages a mouse offers, you people are beyond delusional. The limited sensitivity alone makes pads objectively worse. At close range, the AA makes gamepads competitive, at long rage, it does nothing and mouse users have a massive accuracy advantage. Sure it helps you by snapping your reticle to the player when you're already about on them, but actually getting to that point quickly where the AA can even activate is where the mouse craps all over gamepads. In fact I've had the AA work against me many times, screwing up shots by tracking another player for a split second because they crossed my field of view or were very close to the player I had my sights on. I'd be willing to bet a lot of what players are attributing to the AA is bullet magnetism at work at least in-part as well.

Really just sounds like (mediocre) M+KB players are salty they don't get to absolutely dominate and that gamepad players can actually compete on some level. 343 isn't going to remove the AA because they want people to actually be able to play. People are saying THIS is the reason the population is dropping? Because some salty tryhards think the AA is too strong or just parrot as much because that's what they read online? lolno, making gamepads basically useless and effectively removing the input method half the population uses would do far more damage to the game's longevity, you are a vocal minority. What players ARE fed up with is the botched linear progression and absurd exp grind, and lots are simply waiting for the rest of the games.
ONTOP of my previous response. You are completely underestimating how many PC players want to play competitively and couldn't care less about unlocks and XP. I would love to see those changes happen but that does not affect gameplay what so ever and it will not deter me from playing a game. What does deter me from playing a game is unfair advantages and that goes for a vast majority of the competitive pc community. I am part of a competitive FPS team who has played fps's all across the spectrum. Everyone was excited to play halo on pc and they didn't last longer than a day or two because they became aware of the issue and don't want to deal with it. There is an insane amount of competitive FPS games for PC, some are even free. The amount of fps options for PC players in comparison to fps games in console has to be close to 10:1. So there is absolutely 0 reason for competitive players to sink time into a game they get steemrolled in by controller players because of an unfair advantage when they can go play 100 other competitive shooters where they play on a level playing field.
It happened to Black Ops 4, they ignored issues the competitive scene brought to their attention and the playerbase was dead before ranked even came out. This is exactly whats happening to halo on pc right now. You are delusional if you think this isn't detering players from playing halo. PC PLAYERS PLAY ON KB/M NOT A CONTROLLER, So changing this is going to do nothing but bring PC PLAYERS to the game and keep them playing. If controller players are somehow frustrated with balancing this, what do they do? Oh they go back and play halo on xbox.

Not everyone plays casually and majority of long term FPS PC players are competitive so if a game wants to be successful it is in the developers best interest to listen and address their issues.
Slickini wrote:
- Only cross-platform play enables AA (replaces Input-based matchmaking, mitigating community split)
The first option is the best option, and has been confirmed to be in the works soon by the devs. I don't think this will cause a huge split in the community because the vast majority of PC players are using kbm. Only a select few will be pushed over to play with Xbox players once cross-play is released. Cross-play will do nothing but extend the longevity of the game once the PC players move on from the game in a year or so.

I got into gears of war 4 about a year late and found that it was impossible to find PC only matches, but had absolutely no issue getting into cross-play matches that were comprised of only Xbox players. Console gamers seem to stick with their games longer than PC gamers, so tapping into that community will not only fix the AA complaints, but also extend the longevity of the multiplayer.
HOrobOD1 wrote:
Slickini wrote:
The first option is the best option, and has been confirmed to be in the works soon by the devs. I don't think this will cause a huge split in the community because the vast majority of PC players are using kbm. Only a select few will be pushed over to play with Xbox players once cross-play is released. Cross-play will do nothing but extend the longevity of the game once the PC players move on from the game in a year or so.

I got into gears of war 4 about a year late and found that it was impossible to find PC only matches, but had absolutely no issue getting into cross-play matches that were comprised of only Xbox players. Console gamers seem to stick with their games longer than PC gamers, so tapping into that community will not only fix the AA complaints, but also extend the longevity of the multiplayer.
I honestly hope it drives away controller players in competitive cause that's the reason I've stayed away from it.
In addition to Auto Aim ruining the competitive matchmaking experience for mouse and keyboard users it's also the Mouse In-Put delay that makes it 10x worse.

A combination of Auto-Aim with Bullet Magnetism is too over powered on PC. This allows controller users to 5 shot with DMR like it's NOTHING from almost any distance on any map.

Look at the mouse input on other FPS games such as Counterstrike, Overwatch, Apex Legends, PUBG, hell, even the old Halo Combat Evolved on PC that was released in 2003 has better mouse input than Halo Reach lol. The mouse input is smooth and seamless on all aforementioned games but on Halo Reach however it seems a bit off - not at 100% where it should be; almost sluggish and slow. It's harder to 180 and track your shots but sniping is still decent on the mouse.

It's very unfortunate 343 hasn't resolved this issue after acknowledging they will work on something. Now Halo CE: Anniversary will be coming out in a month or so and i'm truly hoping they make the correct changes. Even if it's input based matchmaking so M+KB players can play competitive matchmaking among themselves.
SiNNa91 wrote:
In addition to Auto Aim ruining the competitive matchmaking experience for mouse and keyboard users it's also the Mouse In-Put delay that makes it 10x worse.

A combination of Auto-Aim with Bullet Magnetism is too over powered on PC. This allows controller users to 5 shot with DMR like it's NOTHING from almost any distance on any map.

Look at the mouse input on other FPS games such as Counterstrike, Overwatch, Apex Legends, PUBG, hell, even the old Halo Combat Evolved on PC that was released in 2003 has better mouse input than Halo Reach lol. The mouse input is smooth and seamless on all aforementioned games but on Halo Reach however it seems a bit off - not at 100% where it should be; almost sluggish and slow. It's harder to 180 and track your shots but sniping is still decent on the mouse.

It's very unfortunate 343 hasn't resolved this issue after acknowledging they will work on something. Now Halo CE: Anniversary will be coming out in a month or so and i'm truly hoping they make the correct changes. Even if it's input based matchmaking so M+KB players can play competitive matchmaking among themselves.
I haven't had any issues with mouse latency and tracking, and in fact prefer the feel of it to most of those other games you mentioned... I use a wired gaming mouse and always turn vsync off because wireless mice and vsync always introduce noticable latency to me.
Only one comment I read out of the last couple pages seemed most correct.

The issue is the implementation of the mouse & keyboard onto Halo Reach PC. Not only is there screen tearing and apparent issues with stuttering and frame inconsistencies, but the sensitivity is just wrong.

Not every 'single' person is a 50. Not everyone on a controller just 'is a 50'. Not every single person playing on either Xbox or Windows is literally 'an aimbot'.
These misconceptions are insane that I'm reading on here.
If you're a 25 because 'aim assist', I assure you -- it's not 'because' of aim assist. It's because you are a level 25. Unless you improve in whatever is making you a level 25, and it's not aim assist, you won't get past a level 25.

Yes, sniping with a mouse is extremely easy. I can't imagine thinking it's not. Either you don't know how to snipe in Halo (you follow your target and predict there movement in front. You 'only' flick if you're no scoping) or you simply are on too high of a sensitivity. This is BOTH controller and Mouse & Keyboard issues...because that's reliant on bullet magnetism.
You aren't "losing your battles to aim assist". This is crap summit 1g used to vilify the title for him not understanding what a horrible decision is mid-match, and him not coming to terms with just not being good at a game..he played for all of 2 weeks.

Competitive play. Hilarious.
"You are completely underestimating how many PC players want to play competitively and couldn't care less about unlocks and XP.".
Imagine how narrow minded and out of touch with the competitive community you MUST be to think you can break into the top 32 teams by all of 2 months of playing a Halo game. There are people who grinded Halo for 4 years non-stop who are STILL trying to break into top 32. That's not only disrespectful to ALL of the Halo AM players, but to yourself. You're setting an expectation you won't ever be able to achieve, especially if the complaint is 'I can't get better because aim assist'.

The current consensus here:
"I can't accurately hit shots, so nerf a mechanic that inherently isn't causing me to not hit shots so 'maybe' I can have more of a chance to hit shots".
Yeah, I'm sure that'll certainly allow you to learn how to 5 shot in a game where team communication, knowledge, and situational decision making are inherently more important than perfecting someone. Good idea, community. You're brilliant. Please, build us a rocket ship, too.

Instead of spending your weeks-on-end commenting about how '-Yoink-' aim assist is, why not consider learning how to play the game?
Food for thought.

Last food for thought:
Controls have a default sensitivity of a lower vertical verses horizontal sensitivity. The mouse doesn't have these sliders. The mouse sensitivity is also unnatural feeling comparing it to other games. Not to mention frame skipping, tearing and all the other artifacts that exist. Why are we not discussing these? Why are we attempting to say "Oh, well it's controllers fault our accuracy is bad", instead of thinking "Hm, maybe there is something wrong with the mouse & keyboard implementation"?
This thread should be closed. And re-opened with reference to it with rules as to what to say or do. Because honestly, 78 pages of 'blame' doesn't look good. And it certainly isn't helping that it's mostly the same few hundred people just having a conversation to 'remove controllers all together from existence', as if this is the reason why they just simply cannot aim in this game.
HOrobOD1 wrote:
SiNNa91 wrote:

I haven't had any issues with mouse latency and tracking, and in fact prefer the feel of it to most of those other games you mentioned... I use a wired gaming mouse and always turn vsync off because wireless mice and vsync always introduce noticable latency to me.
Interestingly, Linus Tech Tips did a test that showed there are in fact some wireless mice out there that are better than wired. :) Might be worth looking next time you are looking for a new mouse. :)
Only one comment I read out of the last couple pages seemed most correct.

The issue is the implementation of the mouse & keyboard onto Halo Reach PC. Not only is there screen tearing and apparent issues with stuttering and frame inconsistencies, but the sensitivity is just wrong.

Not every 'single' person is a 50. Not everyone on a controller just 'is a 50'. Not every single person playing on either Xbox or Windows is literally 'an aimbot'.
These misconceptions are insane that I'm reading on here.
If you're a 25 because 'aim assist', I assure you -- it's not 'because' of aim assist. It's because you are a level 25. Unless you improve in whatever is making you a level 25, and it's not aim assist, you won't get past a level 25.

Yes, sniping with a mouse is extremely easy. I can't imagine thinking it's not. Either you don't know how to snipe in Halo (you follow your target and predict there movement in front. You 'only' flick if you're no scoping) or you simply are on too high of a sensitivity. This is BOTH controller and Mouse & Keyboard issues...because that's reliant on bullet magnetism.
You aren't "losing your battles to aim assist". This is crap summit 1g used to vilify the title for him not understanding what a horrible decision is mid-match, and him not coming to terms with just not being good at a game..he played for all of 2 weeks.

Competitive play. Hilarious.
"You are completely underestimating how many PC players want to play competitively and couldn't care less about unlocks and XP.".
Imagine how narrow minded and out of touch with the competitive community you MUST be to think you can break into the top 32 teams by all of 2 months of playing a Halo game. There are people who grinded Halo for 4 years non-stop who are STILL trying to break into top 32. That's not only disrespectful to ALL of the Halo AM players, but to yourself. You're setting an expectation you won't ever be able to achieve, especially if the complaint is 'I can't get better because aim assist'.

The current consensus here:
"I can't accurately hit shots, so nerf a mechanic that inherently isn't causing me to not hit shots so 'maybe' I can have more of a chance to hit shots".
Yeah, I'm sure that'll certainly allow you to learn how to 5 shot in a game where team communication, knowledge, and situational decision making are inherently more important than perfecting someone. Good idea, community. You're brilliant. Please, build us a rocket ship, too.

Instead of spending your weeks-on-end commenting about how '-Yoink-' aim assist is, why not consider learning how to play the game?
Food for thought.

Last food for thought:
Controls have a default sensitivity of a lower vertical verses horizontal sensitivity. The mouse doesn't have these sliders. The mouse sensitivity is also unnatural feeling comparing it to other games. Not to mention frame skipping, tearing and all the other artifacts that exist. Why are we not discussing these? Why are we attempting to say "Oh, well it's controllers fault our accuracy is bad", instead of thinking "Hm, maybe there is something wrong with the mouse & keyboard implementation"?
This thread should be closed. And re-opened with reference to it with rules as to what to say or do. Because honestly, 78 pages of 'blame' doesn't look good. And it certainly isn't helping that it's mostly the same few hundred people just having a conversation to 'remove controllers all together from existence', as if this is the reason why they just simply cannot aim in this game.
I think the single most hypocritical thing a controller user can say to a kbm user is "you suck, git gud", when controllers need an additional aim assist mechanic (in the form of player magnetism) to even stay relevant.

In the most competitive scenario, balance is what must be thought of first and foremost. And when a simple thing like input method already breaks the balance, you can't have a competitive game.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 76
  4. 77
  5. 78
  6. 79
  7. 80
  8. ...
  9. 85