Ok, i've been reading the forums alot and almost everything revolves around the xp right now. I understand that the grind is hard, i played 15 games yesterday to get to level up. I think we should come up with solutions on how to make the leveling system more worth while, rather than bash 343 for releasing a game that they did not have to bring to PC. A suggestion that i've been thinking about is purchaseable xp boosts. I would gladly pay for it (if it is at a reasonable cost) and 343 would like it like the money crazed -Yoink- that they are. Because it would just be weird if they gave us a constant double xp boost.

Another thing to take into consideration is the old reach leveling system thing. There the levels were rather "ranks" which meant that you actually had to be good at the game to get the rarest cosmetics. The grind existed back then aswell.

So this is just like a call to action type thing. let's try and come with suggestions on how to make the game more enjoyable so that 343 has a chance to litsen to what we want.
Or they could just unlock the exp amount per game maybe ?
IRyuW wrote:
Or they could just unlock the exp amount per game maybe ?
I'm not necessarily sure about completely unlocking it, as that could be open to abuse, but without a doubt raising the cap is the bare minimum that needs to be done.
Raising the normal cap to 16k and then a little higher for the longer games like Firefight and BTB. Cause that was the issue with the double XP event the last two weeks. If you were playing to grind XP then there was no point in playing anything else besides Grifball because you could spend 6 minutes playing grifball and get more XP then spending 20 minutes in BTB or even normal Slayer matches.

The whole things just needs to be balanced around each gamemode to make it so each one is worth the amount of time put into it.
Ki11s0n3 wrote:
Raising the normal cap to 16k and then a little higher for the longer games like Firefight and BTB. Cause that was the issue with the double XP event the last two weeks. If you were playing to grind XP then there was no point in playing anything else besides Grifball because you could spend 6 minutes playing grifball and get more XP then spending 20 minutes in BTB or even normal Slayer matches.

The whole things just needs to be balanced around each gamemode to make it so each one is worth the amount of time put into it.
I completely agree that the cap should be raised to 16k default, and longer game modes such as BTB and firefight should have their XP adjusted accordingly, and that heroic firefight since it is more difficult than arcade firefight should have an additional small cap increase.
No wtf definitely not. They could just bring back the old system and increase the speed of progression. Thats all they need to do to fix the garbage they made.
xNidalus wrote:
A suggestion that i've been thinking about is purchaseable xp boosts.
That sounds like a terrible idea.

343 would then need to compare the longevity of their game (i.e. how quickly people get bored with a 10 year Xbox 360 port...) to the short-term profit gained from micro-transactions such as this. If people could simply purchase EXP boosts, then they'd reach max rank quicker - all this done is provide cosmetic changes, so when there's no more carrots to chase, what happens?

I agree that the current progression system is flawed, I don't however think this is a result of the grind, rather the way in which unlocks were structured. For example, unlocking the cool armor effects used to take a long time - this meant that they were rare & much more coveted. Now you see almost everyone running around with floating hearts and flaming helmets - lame. So I have little desire to unlock them because they're so common, there's no exclusivity there and let's be honest, you can't show off!

I'm personally not a fan of the tiered 'prestige' system, my favorite was Halo 3's, whereby you needed a mix of EXP and competitive skill level ranks to actually progress, meaning the 5* General ranks were very rare, pretty intimidating in a public lobby! and also challenging to reach - therefore players would play for a much longer time.

Like anyone, I do enjoy unlocking stuff, whether it's cosmetic, game art, menu music, etc. I'm a sucker for those rewards! I'd like to see a mix of this and a more in-depth skill based ranking system, highlighting games played/won, trueskill rank, etc.
""Yeah, lets solve a problem they created with their badly designed season pass by giving them more money!!""
What is wrong with people. Instead, here are some suggestions to actually improving the system:

- Remove the EXP given by simply playing the game. Instead, augment the EXP given by skill. This could create a drag for the less experienced players. That could be solved by making first medals worth more EXP. Example, First medal gives 2k exp, second 1k, third 500, fourth and beyond give 250 (that could be better fine tuned, but you get the point). While on that, remove the EXP cap. If I play beyond expectations why should I get the same amount of EXP as someone who played decently?
-Implement EXP given on Campaign and Custom Game modes. "But people will exploit it", well, I rather have them exploting the campaign than having people afk on every match.
- Tie unlocks to some achievements. It's dumb that completing a Legendary Solo or a LASO run gives you 0 progress in the game system. At least should give you a season point, that's not hard to do.
Doubling the current caps means that we would get max of of around 64,000 on double XP weekends which would be way too much, especially if there is some sort of rank reset each season

Overall, they should evaluate the xp system based on the expected time commitment per season. For example, if completing 500 games a season is the expected time commitment to unlock everything, and it takes 10.6 million xp to unlock everything, then they should work to balance the average XP per game for the average player around 21,000 points. Some people will do worse, others will do better.

Don't split teamwork and performance, combine the categories and make it a total cap of like 20,000 with a 5000 win bonus. Get rid of the time played xp because it's essentially worthless and only encourages AFK farmers.

There also needs to be some of sort of campaign xp system with higher caps based on difficulty.

Also standardize the medals across games. Halo 3 doesn't get jack for xp with the current system and it discourages playing it.
I think that the game rewarding you for performance definitely will influence how long it will take for certain levels of skilled players to progress.