Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Halo: The Master Chief Collection (PC)

@Ske7ch: No Splitscreen for PC [at launch]

OP Auraven2572

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 18
EDIT: Please forgive me for any run-ons & sloppy writing, busy day & wanted to mention this ASAP once I found out about PC Splitscreen Support being left out for now. Thanks for understanding in advance lol
________________________________________________________________________________________________

Here's a foreword to cut to the chase about why splitscreen should really be added to PC: Splitscreen LAN Parties without needing Xboxes

Didn't have time to watch much of today's Halo stream on Mixer (but was exciting to see Halo Reach PC in action) but I caught wind from Ske7ch that there is currently no splitscreen slated for MCC PC "at launch." The "at launch bit" eases a lot of folks lately bc it sounds like it means support for SURE post-launch, but Ske7ch went on to express surprise that people want splitscreen for PC at all. I think he went on to mention that he could see why but expressed that the feature is still supported on Xbox. I thought I'd share one reason why I was actually excited & expecting Splitscreen for PC and I hope I'm not entirely alone on this.

Because of the way that the launch & distribution of Halo MCC PC will be handled via Steam & the Microsoft Store, getting the game is going to be easy & it's not going to be that hard to get your hands on multiple copies of the base game (which, with no campaign "DLCs" included, should be inexpensive & have access to all multiplayer content).

I immediately started planning an end-of-the-year Halo MCC PC LAN party because this would have meant that all my old friends & I really needed to host a big LAN party would be at least 4 game-ready laptops and/or desktop PCs, at least 4 Steam accounts with the game purchased, and as many miscellaneous controllers as we need to get everyone involved -- and because it's not on Xbox, ANY controller will suffice as long as it connects to PC. Even if Halo MCC PC does not have LAN support, connecting online with above average internet would more than have sufficed.

It was actually quite a challenge for my friends & I to get that many Xboxes, Xbox controllers, game copies, TVs, & accounts with included DLC packs together and we usually had to make sacrifices & have several people tagging out because someone couldn't bring an Xbox or something. Even today, most of my friends who love Halo & used to participate in those events don't own an Xbox but do play PC games.

If Splitscreen was supported for MCC PC, this would make hosting these kinds of events among friends & newcomers really easy, & not requiring Xbox Live for online play makes things even easier to host EVEN if Local LAN support is off the table. I still can't realistically host an Xbox One LAN party because too few people I know own one, & CERTAINLY not enough Xbox One controllers.
I know this is just one guys thoughts on the matter, & not everyone will care or even be interested in LAN parties...but I think that the possibility of Halo LAN pizza parties making a comeback is SO CLOSE with this PC Release and it would be a shame to miss out on it. If it can't be supported at launch, then I certainly hope maybe this or someone else's post expresses the potential it has in reviving those kinds of fun events and helps the team at 343 see why it should be implemented.

I know it was mentioned in the stream that they don't even currently know how they would support multiple accounts via a single copy of the game, and perhaps that is a valid point...but I would suggest why not just creating some sort of a guest system per PC? The owner of the game is logged in & up to 3 blank guests can join, like how the Xbox 360 used to create blank guest users. No experience tracking or extensive customization for them, just the option to customize controller settings & that's it. Just an idea.

If you read this far, thank you lmao. I am a little sad that there will be no SS on day 1 but I'm still excited. I hope others can agree with my little rant about how great this feature can be.

mod edit: updated topic title
Just wanted to chime in about this bit:

Quote:
I know it was mentioned in the stream that they don't even currently know how they would support multiple accounts via a single copy of the game, and perhaps that is a valid point...but I would suggest why not just creating some sort of a guest system per PC? The owner of the game is logged in & up to 3 blank guests can join, like how the Xbox 360 used to create blank guest users. No experience tracking or extensive customization for them, just the option to customize controller settings & that's it. Just an idea.
This is pretty much what i was thinking of too. I think the way it was presented in the stream made it needlessly complicated - just let people play together. The use case will most likely be someone comes over to your place and you want to just play a quick game or something. That person might not even have Steam or play PC games, or they might not own Halo/MCC.

I've played the original games like this (except Halo CE and Halo 2, which i played on PC) - when i'd go to my friend's house i'd play Halo with him on his Xbox. If we had more people hanging out then they'd join in too. I don't remember having to log in to my Xbox Live account (except maybe for Halo 4? was a long time ago) to play, though..

So yeah, just let people make a local (temporary?) account. There are already games that do local split-screen like Sonic and All-Stars Racing Transformed. Don't bother with the stat tracking and stuff beyond the session, let the guest player have access to whatever customization options the host player does. Maybe provide an option to let people sign in to their xbox live accounts from within the game, but keep in mind people often use password managers and might not be able to do this, so it should be strictly optional.
This is a multi-billion dollar industry and they know full well what they're doing.

If their excuse is they "don't even know how they'd support multiple accounts via a single game copy", than this is all a sham to sell more copies of the game at launch. They want to act like it's some technological impossibility to add splitscreen to a game series that has literally had it in multiple titles already so that they can have a more successful launch, and then add splitscreen later once they determine it won't hurt their sales significantly. But everyone who really loves the game will already have bought a copy for themselves and everyone and their immediate family so they can all play together, and they are counting on it.

If this is setting the standard for how the franchise will be handled, I'd fully expect them to split the games up in to their modes for separate sale, and even add lootboxes/mtx currency eventually. Without an in-depth technical explanation as to why split-screen isn't possible, and all my skepticism's are incorrect, I'm deeply disappointed in them.

The old "guest" system would be more than adequate. If they wanted to add the ability for split screen players to sign in to their accounts at a later date, then great, but it's not something that is required for splitscreen to be added at all.
Considering what happened with Halo 5 not having playable elites "at launch" this worries me quite a bit.

At the very least they did say it was top of mind and they know the demand so perhaps it will turn about better. This is a major feature to be lacking to me and how I play Halo and I have hope 343 understands that this an important thing for the game to be getting, if not at launch absolutely needs to happen in an update.
The advantage of MCC on PC is that 343 can come back and continue adding features. That's why I'm not afraid on the slightest that splitscreen won't be at launch, even if it's one of Halo's most important features ever, and simply can not be left out. Especially I'f you are handing the collection to a new market, as the way of replaying these games from now on.
I understand the possible reality that Microsoft has no obligation to support split screen in order to maximize sales, and if that is true for this case, I can't blame them that much. Only reason I have a problem believing that is because 343 & Microsoft were clearly swayed by the tremendous backlash that Halo 5 got and has had throughout it's lifespan for omitting the feature -- enough that Bonnie & 343 specified in the following years that Halo Infinite & future Halo FPS titles would have it return. If the overwhelming positive reaction to MCC on PC has given Microsoft & 343 the guts to exclude the feature for sales purposes, then that's a shame. I am inclined to believe that it's absolutely a technical limitation because they have already had to protract their flighting & launch content schedule by months...it's no surprise that it would be a tall order in the grand scheme of things.

So I agree with that being a possibility...but if it is exclusively because of technical barriers, I simply wanted to voice the incredible value that the feature would give so that it is not forgotten as a consideration for a post-launch update. I believe it is worth pushing because while I am okay with it not being at like a launch...I feel like a lot of games today have grown very used to waiting on or withholding features "at launch" that don't ever get addressed, like what TrippyMoonlight said about other things that have been explained away as "potential future content updates." While I trust 343 more than say, EA & Bioware *cough cough* Anthem *cough cough*, I have doubts across the board for the possibility & quality of post-launch content. I believe that adding something like split screen to PC could be worth giving higher priority! It could potentially increase sales & interest in the return of the franchise to many. If you had your own desktop, you could join your friends party via Xbox Live without needing a Gold account as long as you owned the game. Going to a Halo MCC PC LAN party but don't want to share a screen? If you have a laptop & the game, you can just join that way. Owning the game would just mean that you could bring another laptop into the fray or even have your own 4 player matches at your buddies house casually. That kind of flexibility could easily motivate more PC gamers to pick up the game for easy-accessible casual multiplayer.

I'm already on a MEGA tangent but I get everyone's thoughts. I also know that I am making the bold assumption/statement that things like gaming-ready laptops & PCs are just THAT much more common & easily accessible than technically cheaper Xboxes, so I know my examples & ideas won't apply to everyone. In my experience, they are.
The difference for me is essentially just being able to invite some friends over every now and then vs. maybe having a LAN party once a year if we're lucky. Online play just isn't a substitute for the experience of playing in the same room.

A guest system would be completely appropriate for split-screen. I just want to play together with my friends. We don't care about stat tracking or progression.
Not only should split screen be incorporated for pc, but in this day and age we should be able to gove everyone their own screen as well. It isnt uncommom for pc gamers to have multiple monitors. This is 2019 not 1919, anyone who claims they cant do a split screen with multiple screens where everyone gets their own screen, is lying. It isnt a new feature. To totally remove splitscreen altogether? Sounds like its about selling copies more than technical work. Typical AAA manuever.
I just wanna play on my big monitor with friends in my room, without having them have to lug around a laptop and buy a copy of the game.

Split-screen can be used to introduce the series to pc gamer friends. A lot of people who never played Halo would buy it if they got a taste of it, especially with a friend on the same couch. Split screen would boost sales. Please, if not at launch, 343, split-screen should be added as soon as possible after launch.

I'm hoping that at the latest, Forge and Split-screen get packaged and released together. That would be a great down-the-line update to MCC PC.

Once a game is on PC, its community can make it last a very, very long time, much longer than on any console (eg: Combat Evolved PC). MCC PC, in this regard, would become the definitive version of the game that you can play anywhere on any future computer, etc. Split-screen would truly complete the package and make it a goldmine of fun times with friends.
Halo without split screen is like McDonald's without fries. Does it still "work"? Yeah. Is it missing a critical part of what makes it what it is? Without a doubt. Halo without split screen is not Halo at all.
The reason as to why PC players never clamored over splitscreen is because it's Halo, we just expected it.

We don't care about achievement tracking for a guest player if it means we can get splitscreen.

Just have Thelegend27
and Thelegend27(1)
and Thelegend27(2)

and so on until 4. Until the account situation is settled it should just go that way.
For whatever reason I have this comment saved and I think it's relevant; two years ago a guy from The Coalition (Gears of War) stated on Reddit that Universal Windows Platform (UWP) doesn't support multiple users and for Gears 4 splitscreen they had to create a fake account or something to spoof it. Which for them works for Campaign but doesn't work for Xbox Live multiplayer. I'm not sure if this limitation in UWP has been addressed in the past few years to make it possible for 343i to bring the sort of multi-login splitscreen we'd like to see on Windows.
Technical limitations are probably valid the more I investigate the circumstances of this port. They've tried to make it very clear that simply throwing the game on PC isn't that easy & is being treated as building & launching a whole new game that they just already have the assets for. It's why I personally would love crossplay (who wouldn't like the option, at least for social & custom games?) but getting the reworked PC & Xbox infrastructures to communicate with each other is a mammoth of a task & brings a huge number of additional community & technical concerns to the forefront. Plus, the downside of not having crossplay is not as awful to most, as the open availability on Steam & Windows Store and compatible PCs make it a not too difficult transition for those willing...& the PC community has the potential for a much larger reach than just on living room consoles.
So I feel like Splitscreen & a usable in-engine guest profile system should be much less taxing developmental-wise than crossplay, & would also rake in more PC sales than bridging the gap between console & PC players. So, assuming that could be considered a reasonably accurate cost/benefit comparison between those two features, it perplexes me why crossplay would be considered more of a priority than Splitscreen, a feature considered somewhat integral to the social Halo experience.

...not trying to say crossplay has no importance at all, of course!
Do the developers really think that an FOV slider will sell more games than splitscreen?

No really, does anyone seriously think that? Because I bet it's a similar amount of work.

It feels like a bunch of folks got into a room, decided they wanted to make a true PC halo (great!) and wrote down a list of things to do, like an FOV slider, and then dedicated resources to those things and splitscreen wasn't on the list because the folks thought it wasn't important on PC. So splitscreen gets no resources.

I'm not crapping on FOV sliders. I get that it is a normal feature for a modern PC game. But why is that a priority for launch and splitscreen is in not in for launch? So sad.

Please bring splitscreen! It will sell!
I would be okay if they just spent the time they have now to get it on PC smoothly and add things like split screen later.
LawrenceSF wrote:
Do the developers really think that an FOV slider will sell more games than splitscreen?

No really, does anyone seriously think that? Because I bet it's a similar amount of work.

It feels like a bunch of folks got into a room, decided they wanted to make a true PC halo (great!) and wrote down a list of things to do, like an FOV slider, and then dedicated resources to those things and splitscreen wasn't on the list because the folks thought it wasn't important on PC. So splitscreen gets no resources.

I'm not crapping on FOV sliders. I get that it is a normal feature for a modern PC game. But why is that a priority for launch and splitscreen is in not in for launch? So sad.

Please bring splitscreen! It will sell!
Unfortunately FOV is the kind of thing elitist PC Gamers will make noise about, not to mention other "offensive" things like 60 fps caps that are in place in order not to break the game.
Im fine with more choice, options and future proofing (which is always limited anyways) but I would sacrifice one of those hi-fi options for more game type options.

The co-op thing was surprising, for both sides it seems. Because apparently the co-op threads were downplayed in importance and also because they choose not to kill the feature right away. although pushing it for a post-launch does leave it in a precarious state. How are they supposed to add it later without making a full recode? This would be the best time.

Now... for the technical gibberish, the explanations were poor, all of them. If achievements are the issue then get rid of achievements, I know they are important for some people but are achievements really that important for this sort of roadblock? Multiple users is also something I already addressed in another thread but I will repeat it here.
Windows allows multiple user login, but that was not even the problem because they mentioned Steam... well, the game will be running under Xbox Live so the problem lies on the Xbox App, too difficult? Then go the "guest" route, ask the Gears studio how they did it. From this side it didn't felt like they actually tried to make it work, more like someone asked about it during the brainstorm session and the technical dude started to get too complicated.

Personally I was prepared to see co-op being axed (again!), but I was surprised they left the door open for a possible post-launch.
Split-screen is important but let's not act like fov isn't. Low fov on a first person game with a monitor so close to your face is just not pleasant, nothing to do with elitism.
A FOV slider is DEFINITELY more important than split screen on a COMPUTER game.
A FOV slider is DEFINITELY more important than split screen on a COMPUTER game.
FOV Is important, but I think split screen for a game like Halo is just as important. I'm not alone in thinking this way, because many of us enjoyed Halo infinitely more (Pun not intended) due to the fact that we could play with friends seamlessly. Even if the FOV wasn't all that great. To some of us, split screen is as important as FOV.

So I don't disagree with you that FOV is essential to PC games, but I hope you see that Split screen to some of us is just as important.
I will not buy a single halo game without splitt screen.its not even a halo game at that point,at least not for me.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 18