Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Halo: The Master Chief Collection (PC)

@Ske7ch: No Splitscreen for PC [at launch]

OP Auraven2572

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 8
  4. 9
  5. 10
  6. 11
  7. 12
  8. ...
  9. 18
I would assume split screen may cause the game to lag and or use more pc resource? And no offense to anyone here.... Though I just don't see the point of split screen on pc... I haven't seen a game offer that in like forever. Plus most people usually have there own laptop or so on to play games. Or they just buy a console since im sure 100% of the games on there have split screens.
I would assume split screen may cause the game to lag and or use more pc resource? And no offense to anyone here.... Though I just don't see the point of split screen on pc... I haven't seen a game offer that in like forever. Plus most people usually have there own laptop or so on to play games. Or they just buy a console since im sure 100% of the games on there have split screens.
First thing I would like to touch on is of course this would affect performance, but it wont affect those playing single screen, so it does not really have a reason to why it was not implemented. While yes, split screen is basically dead in pc gaming nowadays, a franchise like Halo should have it since its origins as a couch and LAN famous game kinda made it what it is today. ALTHOUGH, I feel there are much more important things on 343's radar for MCC PC, especially with the pc port team being quite small so in all honesty i can wait. I would be disappointing though if they never tried to bring the feature in the future, since I was looking forward to hooking my PC to my TV and playing some matches with family like old times. Couch PC gaming with friends and family is a common thing for many and it would be great to add Halo to the list without having to switch to an Xbox and play it.
Not a bad assumption. However, splitscreen has been on every Halo game (except 5) and, from what I remember, there were very few performance issues that came alongside it. Given how well Reach runs on PC, as far as FPS is concerned, I don't see why a 2011 game would not be able to hit comfortable framerates on modern PC hardware when an XBox 360 could run it fine. I'm not too fussed about splitscreen since I don't have the setup for it (nor do I have friends) but I imagine those with a Steam Link or a larger screen could definitely make use of the feature. It's about options, I suppose.
Who the hell wants splitscreen on PC??? There are 20 better things to do for 343.
Umm anyone who owns a TV, PC or laptop, and a couple controllers.

Personally I never bought the Xbox One because I couldn't justify it since every game I wanted to play was on PC except for Halo. I've been dying to play the campaigns in co-op with my friends again, but none of them have Windows machines or Xbox One's. Now that Halo is on PC, that dream is so close.
Galaeth wrote:
Couch PC gaming with friends and family is a common thing for many and it would be great to add Halo to the list without having to switch to an Xbox and play it.
This is a great fair summary of the request.

I am a PC gamer. I game sometimes on a PC screen and often on my big screen TV from my couch. I love being able to do both. I often game with my spouse or with friends. There are plenty of PC games that are great for playing with friends, some examples with split screen like COD BO3, COD WW2, Rocket league, the Sonic Racing games, and of course all the games where you don't need split-screen like fighting games and party games.

I want to play Halo splitscreen. I am not going to buy an Xbox just for this feature. I think it's nonsense that the game that is perhaps the most famous for splitscreen doesn't have it. But I know that this is a feature that appeals to a minority, so I just have to keep asking for it and hope for the best.
gears of war 4 and Gear of war 5 Ran amazing on pc split screen. My pc wasnt having no problems running at 60 FPS constantly.
Why would you not put split screen into a game that most people played with siblings?

Why would you think modern pc cant run splitscreen when console has been doing it on worse hardware.

Why does it affect anyone playing single player?

I only wanted this game cuz my sister loved halo and it was pretty much the first fps game she ever touched.

I only wanted my sister to shoot me in halo on pc.
Can we please get split screen on PC? I and so many others want it very badly. Halo isn't the same without it.
I am absolutely in bliss thinking about my PC pushing 4k 200FPS on my 4k tv with 3 friends all playing split-screen.
It has to happen.
split screen might be comming
in the user.cfg on halo1
split_screen_primary_input {
inp_device_keyboard {
contexts {
game {
layout = split_screen_primary_default
}
ui {
layout = default
}
cinematic {
layout = default
}
debug {
layout = default
}
}
}
inp_device_mouse {
contexts {
game {
layout = default
}
ui {
layout = default
}
cinematic {
layout = default
}
debug {
layout = default
}
}
}
}
split_screen_secondary_input {
inp_device_keyboard {
contexts {
game {
layout = split_screen_secondary_default
}
ui {
layout = default
}
cinematic {
layout = default
}
debug {
layout = default
}
}
}
inp_device_mouse {
contexts {
game {
layout = default
}
ui {
layout = default
}
cinematic {
layout = default
}
debug {
layout = default
}
}
}
}
}

and in the game.cfg
EnableSplitScreen = FALSE
unfortunaly changing any setting to force a splitscreen did not work. including binding it to a button
split screen might be comming
in the user.cfg on halo1
I seriously hope this is more than just something left over from the console version. I bought MCC on PC for the primary purpose of replaying all the campaigns on co-op with my wife. Was severely disappointed when it wasn't in reach.
Don't take anything personally here, it's more aimed at the institution than anything else.

I'm an older gamer, and the way we used to play games before the internet, was sitting around the console/computer. Now some of us own PC's, and are not ashamed to either, want to plug it into a TV set, or allow others to join in on our experience, without sending them home and telling them to buy a copy of the game. I'm now more of a keen board gamer, and board games are suddenly becoming more and more popular in recent years and it's this, the lack of social interaction within video gaming, which I believe is driving the growth of board games. Parents who were gamers seeing their kids become increasingly isolated, tied to their bedrooms, phones etc, is not what many could call healthy. So here we are discussing why bringing people together, physically - for a social activity, is something that we should cling on to. I miss the time when split-screen gaming was something wanted, regardless of the (slight) drop in fidelity or performance.

These are sad times indeed.

Add Note: Split Screen is almost synonymous with Halo.
Don't take anything personally here, it's more aimed at the institution than anything else.

I'm an older gamer, and the way we used to play games before the internet, was sitting around the console/computer. Now some of us own PC's, and are not ashamed to either, want to plug it into a TV set, or allow others to join in on our experience, without sending them home and telling them to buy a copy of the game. I'm now more of a keen board gamer, and board games are suddenly becoming more and more popular in recent years and it's this, the lack of social interaction within video gaming, which I believe is driving the growth of board games. Parents who were gamers seeing their kids become increasingly isolated, tied to their bedrooms, phones etc, is not what many could call healthy. So here we are discussing why bringing people together, physically - for a social activity, is something that we should cling on to. I miss the time when split-screen gaming was something wanted, regardless of the (slight) drop in fidelity or performance.

Same. I grew up gaming on a PC playing old school games via emulators with my siblings and friends. I would struggle through sharing buttons on a single keyboard just to play some Bomberman with a friend. By the time the 360 was in it's prime, I got that as my first console. Most games still had split screen, and that was my main purchasing deciding factor when buying games. When I wasn't playing splitscreen with friends, I was on Xbox live in voice chat with the same friends playing the same game. Multiplayer shooter games just feel so hollow to me now because I'm running around shooting voiceless strangers that I don't know. I got into gaming because I enjoyed the social aspect, especially in Halo, but today i just can't seem to find that experience anymore since no major AAA titles have split screen anymore.

I'm finding that the majority of the games I play now are Nintendo games and random indie titles that still focus on the local social experience. I'm also getting more into boardgames, but that is a little more difficult than just powering on a console/PC and jumping into a game with some friends. I just miss the social aspect of videogames and I feel like it got destroyed by greedy companies just trying to sell more copies of their games.

I can see your point as I'm a older gamer my self I use to play on the Origional Xbox and so on before that. I'm presently in my mid 30s. I can see why many would want split screen nor would I say no they shouldn't if it were to ever be offered on the halo series for PC. It would make sense as you mention above. :)
I spent the weekend with my girlfriend and we had a blast playing rocket league and cuphead running from my laptop onto my monitor. I would have killed to been able to play some forge with her (unfortunately I think they are cutting controller support from forge entirely when it comes out on pc, so no splitscreen sandboxing shenanigans happening there ): ) or even some reach firefight. I really think that they could implement split screen fairly easily on pc. Plus the possibilites for split screen on pc are awesome, even ascending beyond split screen to simply "multiple-screen." For halo ce classic and halo 2 classic, I think it's reasonable to assume that most mid-tier PCs from the last 4 years or so could probably push 2 instances of those games a 1080p60 or even 720p60 at least.
I spent the weekend with my girlfriend and we had a blast playing rocket league and cuphead running from my laptop onto my monitor. I would have killed to been able to play some forge with her (unfortunately I think they are cutting controller support from forge entirely when it comes out on pc, so no splitscreen sandboxing shenanigans happening there ): ) or even some reach firefight. I really think that they could implement split screen fairly easily on pc. Plus the possibilites for split screen on pc are awesome, even ascending beyond split screen to simply "multiple-screen." For halo ce classic and halo 2 classic, I think it's reasonable to assume that most mid-tier PCs from the last 4 years or so could probably push 2 instances of those games a 1080p60 or even 720p60 at least.
I easily get well over 100fps in reach at 1080p on my laptop gtx 1060 max-q, and max 200fps in Halo CE multiplayer. Modern PCs could easily push 60fps at 1080p with little to no graphical downgrades, maybe even 4k60fps on high end hardware. Split screen on console always sucked because it took a huge hit to resolution, graphical fidelity, and framerate. PC on the other hand is a different story, especially with 10-20 year old games.
I would like this greatly, I want to play Halo with others on my couch. Now to have split screen it will mean all the players except one will require a controller but so what. That how it is on the Xbox.

This is a fantastic description of what of a lot of things I was also thinking. Thank you!
There seems to have been little mention of Split-Screen in the February 2020 development update?
This seems very disappointing
There seems to have been little mention of Split-Screen in the February 2020 development update?
This seems very disappointing
The only comment about it, it's about it not being in works or in consideration until the games are on pc and other features are done. Which for me is a "no, there won't be any" kind of answer. Sad... I think I'll stick with nucleus coop non-native splitscreen and Halo Custom Edition
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 8
  4. 9
  5. 10
  6. 11
  7. 12
  8. ...
  9. 18