Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Halo: The Master Chief Collection (PC)

@Ske7ch: No Splitscreen for PC [at launch]

OP Auraven2572

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 17
  4. 18
  5. 19
  6. 20
  7. ...
  8. 21
Is it just me or is it annoying that after four months there's no definite answer on whether 343 is going to add split screen or not? nor apparent progress on the "Discussion" of whether to add it to pc or not?
yeah...still in backlog "pending further discussion.." really? what could there be to talk about?

head person says...

"do we add split screen on pc or leave it out and implement online co-op only instead, to sell as many copies as possible?"

most in room say...

"yeah, i guess"

one person speaks up..

"i still think we should add it, as it's part of the game(s)"

everyone looks at him / her.

head person says "ok, looks like further discussion is needed on this matter..."

back to work.

That one person months later says...

"we still working on split screen for pc?"

head person says...

"name, is it?"

"yes"

"you value working here?"

"er, yes"

"sometimes we have to do what's best for the company"

"ok..."

"so do we still add.."

"i don't think you full understand yet.."

"we don't add it because it's not profitable"

"ok..."

"dismissed".

The above story is fictional but it's probably close to reality for pc game developement, as we always get shafted on missing features.
lol these guys seems to think that pc gamers are no-lifes living alone and playing only online.
The fact is my PC is in my living room plugued to my Big TV and I buy mostly couch coop games to play with my family. Now all games are released I can't understand how the addition of split screen can still be in a "maybe some day" state...
This should have been part of the pc version since day 1
Foujer wrote:
lol these guys seems to think that pc gamers are no-lifes living alone and playing only online.
The fact is my PC is in my living room plugued to my Big TV and I buy mostly couch coop games to play with my family. Now all games are released I can't understand how the addition of split screen can still be in a "maybe some day" state...
I know, it's ridiculous that it wasn't added to each game as they ported / released, if they did that, we'd have it all by now.

Why they picked HDR out of the backlog instead of Splitscreen is infuriating, as if HDR is more important...
Drahicr wrote:
Foujer wrote:
I know, it's ridiculous that it wasn't added to each game as they ported / released, if they did that, we'd have it all by now.

Why they picked HDR out of the backlog instead of Splitscreen is infuriating, as if HDR is more important...
I agree. I'm willing to bet that there is a larger player base who would play split screen than players who have HDR capable monitors/TVs.
HDR is such an overrated gimmick right now, considering we've had HDR rendering in games for years and all it did was make sky brighter and in many games too bright.
Drahicr wrote:
HDR is such an overrated gimmick right now, considering we've had HDR rendering in games for years and all it did was make sky brighter and in many games too bright.
Agreed. I actually turned off HDR on my TV because it looked worse on HDR supported content.
Honestly want to play co-op with friends locally just like with the original games. Hope 343 reconsiders and make this happen.
Is it just me or is it annoying that after four months there's no definite answer on whether 343 is going to add split screen or not? nor apparent progress on the "Discussion" of whether to add it to pc or not?
This. Just give us a yes or no, c'mon.
still no split screen news
infinite delayed for a year
still no word on whether h5 will be ported or not

hate 2020
If anyone wants to do splitscreen on PC I highly recommend this mod. It's no official solution, but it works.
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2077569545
If Microsoft let 343 release splitscreen coop offline on PC, xbox dies. They know and thats why splitscreen it not here yet. When you think about splitscreen coop offline, Halo is like the first game you can think off, and theyre waiting years to add it? lol? its clearly done on purpose.

The funny part? that theyre like killing their selling of the game this way. A lot of peoples like me will not buy the game until it has this fundamental feature.
Silly.
You know..These tool boxes got me to check into these threads, their horrible update things, they had me on Reddit dispelling split screen info.
News of this game came right before I was about to have a baby and I had just built a PC for editing and I was so stoked to play with my friends or my brother when they came to visit. I would have some downtime after the baby was born. INSTEAD, I ended up watching that one idiot testing reach and saying “aWnEsTLy were SURPRISED people want this on pc?” But we can “commit post launch”. Then @sk3tch saying it’s not in the cards. Then it’s taken from their dumb updates. Then it’s added back for “discussion” for 6 MONTHS. just tell me YEA OR NAH. THATS ALL I WANT. YOU GOT ME I LOOKED AT THIS JUNK FOR A YEAR STRAIGHT. I should’ve never bought the game man.
You know..These tool boxes got me to check into these threads, their horrible update things, they had me on Reddit dispelling split screen info.
News of this game came right before I was about to have a baby and I had just built a PC for editing and I was so stoked to play with my friends or my brother when they came to visit. I would have some downtime after the baby was born. INSTEAD, I ended up watching that one idiot testing reach and saying “aWnEsTLy were SURPRISED people want this on pc?” But we can “commit post launch”. Then @sk3tch saying it’s not in the cards. Then it’s taken from their dumb updates. Then it’s added back for “discussion” for 6 MONTHS. just tell me YEA OR NAH. THATS ALL I WANT. YOU GOT ME I LOOKED AT THIS JUNK FOR A YEAR STRAIGHT. I should’ve never bought the game man.
Nothing unexpected, thats why i didnt buy the game. Starting from the fact that at Bungie theyre probably pulling their hair, those useless consoles only exist for multiplayer splitscreen offline and exclusives, nothing else. There are no reason to prefer consoles over PC, and they perfectly know. So theyre probably not adding this feature. Facepalm.
Nothing unexpected, thats why i didnt buy the game. Starting from the fact that at Bungie theyre probably pulling their hair, those useless consoles only exist for multiplayer splitscreen offline and exclusives, nothing else. There are no reason to prefer consoles over PC, and they perfectly know. So theyre probably not adding this feature. Facepalm.
what's your bet on the PC version of Infinite having splitscreen? (Still not listed on Steam features). They keep making blanket statements that it will have it at launch but dance around it for PC.

The Naïve part of me want's to believe they're waiting on this "discussion" they're having and how to deal with Steam/microsoft accounts for Infinite first. Even though I know it's a non-issue because other games on Steam already have it figured it out.
what's your bet on the PC version of Infinite having splitscreen? (Still not listed on Steam features). They keep making blanket statements that it will have it at launch but dance around it for PC.

The Naïve part of me want's to believe they're waiting on this "discussion" they're having and how to deal with Steam/microsoft accounts for Infinite first. Even though I know it's a non-issue because other games on Steam already have it figured it out.
I think there will be some 'guest' splitscreen mode for the campaign only and nothing for multiplayer, just like Gears 4 & 5.

I was so hopeful the big launch of Halo Infinite would break the deadlock of no split-screen multiplayer on PC. I mean - it's the marquee title from MS, if anything could get the various parties to get the backend systems work done, account issues resolved, etc. it would be infinite. But given how infinite stumbled on previews and had to go back to be re-worked, I think there's very little chance they are putting resources into PC splitscreen.

The gears approach allows them to save face, say that there is PC splitscreen, while not tackling the more complex multiplayer/accounts issues. Hopefully I'm wrong. I'm pretty pessimistic - it has been the last item on MCC backlog for two months now.
must of had at least two updates since halo 4, latest one was 4gb....still no split screen though.
Really is such a disappointment to see no update on this month after month. At this point I just hope a true mod comes along sometime to "unlock" split screen other then using Nucleus Co-op. If they won't do it I sure hope someone will.
LawrenceSF wrote:

I think there will be some 'guest' splitscreen mode for the campaign only and nothing for multiplayer, just like Gears 4 & 5.

I was so hopeful the big launch of Halo Infinite would break the deadlock of no split-screen multiplayer on PC. I mean - it's the marquee title from MS, if anything could get the various parties to get the backend systems work done, account issues resolved, etc. it would be infinite. But given how infinite stumbled on previews and had to go back to be re-worked, I think there's very little chance they are putting resources into PC splitscreen.

The gears approach allows them to save face, say that there is PC splitscreen, while not tackling the more complex multiplayer/accounts issues. Hopefully I'm wrong. I'm pretty pessimistic - it has been the last item on MCC backlog for two months now.
I’d like to believe it’s gridlocked because of the systems/lack of precedent but... the longer this goes on I just can’t help but think it’s about selling PC copies and absolutely nothing else. After thinking about it, even breakthrough PC split screen games like Portal 2 were a guest thing (granted they created a-whole-nother game for it practically).

It’s like they simply don’t have to, so they simply won’t. I guess I’ll live with campaign, whenever the hell they get around to it. It’s so stupid, my friend came over a few months ago and I was telling him how good MCC looks on PC, and he just interrupts “well let’s play”...I went on a rant that ensured, whenever they do get around to it, I’ll have no friends left to play with anyway.

unbelievably dumb.
I tried Xemu, an original xbox emulator, and Xenia, an Xbox 360 emulator, they're starting to be interesting because Xbox versions of Halo 1-4 boots! This is actually buggy and still needs some months of updates to be really playable, but I bet this will be possible next year to play Halo campaigns in split-screen without too much hassle :)
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 17
  4. 18
  5. 19
  6. 20
  7. ...
  8. 21