Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Halo: The Master Chief Collection (PC)

@Ske7ch: No Splitscreen for PC [at launch]

OP Auraven2572

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 18
  4. 19
  5. 20
  6. ...
  7. 21
Checking back in. Disappointed to see there's been a handful of additional updates and the subject hasn't even broached discussion. Seems like all of the major bugs have been patched and what little is left to adjust is super un-essential. I would definitely put splitscreen above everything in the backlog at the moment.
Checking back in. Disappointed to see there's been a handful of additional updates and the subject hasn't even broached discussion. Seems like all of the major bugs have been patched and what little is left to adjust is super un-essential. I would definitely put splitscreen above everything in the backlog at the moment.
been waiting month after month since launch. refuse to buy it until it's at least in development for pc and we know it's coming.
ill read all 20 pages im sure... i really want to chime in first, ill update my comment with additional thoughts as they come to me through reading through what everyone else has contributed to this discussion.

Crossplay Splitcreen co-op and competitive multiplayer is important.

the joys of taking 3 guests online with one xboxlive account/CopyOfHalo is a time honoured tradition. splitsscreen on PC with one player using mouse/keyboard and the rest using controllers is not uncommon. combining that with crossplay makes for a very healthy player base.

my monitor is a 65" 4K samsung tv, 1080p per player sure is plenty of pixels.

its just what increasingly more people want and expect.

AND HONESTLY its getting pretty tired having the same conversation with console gamers "pc doesn't really have much splitscreen, yeah none of those games with splitscreen on console have that feature on PC"

there is a growing list of games with crossplay and a decent list of games with splitscreen/multiple characters on screen at once. its not a massive list but let's put halo at the top of that list, where it belongs. the ultimate lan shooter.

its just a shame the the xbox360 builds are incompatible with mmc multiplayer. that would be neat.
another month almost over, and no news.

f'ing backlog...damn you!!!

lack of news on this feature is getting real boring and frustrating...don't understand 343's incompetence..they've had quite enough time to add the feature to the mcc on pc...ffs they delay infinite a whole year but still can't be ar*ed to implement split screen on the mcc pc port.

why don't they just say it's never going to be added because it still sells consoles.
Tbh, by the time they choose (if at all) to add splitscreen Halo MCC pc will probably either dead, dying or a backwater game. This comes from someone who loves the Franchise. but it's honestly not something that many people are going to be all in for when it lacks parity or base traits such as coop or multiplayer on a single device. it is ridiculous that not a single bit of information regarding it is given and tbh is making people who want to purchase the game, just not be willing too. Hell it can't be that difficult considering it is a feature present in it. hell i'm sure most people would just be happy to have it unlocked even if it was done without any optimization and with restrained options.

It is regretful to see one of the most beloved of the game's features being ignored
What's truly tragic is, these are the best iterations of all of these games. They run smooth, look excellent and represent the most fully realized renditions of each of these titles, but, because they're missing one of the Halo series most important features, I couldn't ever call them the best versions. I'd have to give that to the XBox One versions because,
despite the fact that they don't have quite the graphical polish, they still have all of the games' original FEATURES, as Bungie (and 343 at the time with 4) intended.
Quote:
Tbh, by the time they choose (if at all) to add splitscreen Halo MCC pc will probably either dead, dying or a backwater game. This comes from someone who loves the Franchise. but it's honestly not something that many people are going to be all in for when it lacks parity or base traits such as coop or multiplayer on a single device. it is ridiculous that not a single bit of information regarding it is given and tbh is making people who want to purchase the game, just not be willing too. Hell it can't be that difficult considering it is a feature present in it. hell i'm sure most people would just be happy to have it unlocked even if it was done without any optimization and with restrained options.It is regretful to see one of the most beloved of the game's features being ignored
It is regretful to see one of the most beloved of the game's features being ignored
It's not being ignored, it's not being active worked on right now. Things like File Share and the Custom Games Browser have taken precedence. it is in the backlog so I'm sure they will get to it
stckrboy wrote:
It's not being ignored, it's not being active worked on right now. Things like File Share and the Custom Games Browser have taken precedence. it is in the backlog so I'm sure they will get to it
Last time I heard, they said it's not a for sure thing yet, but are looking into it.
They subcontract to saber for most of MCC's development. The real question is why don't they hire/subcontract to people that seem to know what their doing like the ED guys or other modders. I recall someone got splitscreen working. It wasn't multiple instances and it looked very legit.
zachula5 wrote:
stckrboy wrote:
Last time I heard, they said it's not a for sure thing yet, but are looking into it.
They subcontract to saber for most of MCC's development. The real question is why don't they hire/subcontract to people that seem to know what their doing like the ED guys or other modders. I recall someone got splitscreen working. It wasn't multiple instances and it looked very legit.
Also you have to consider the lifespan of the game. I am just afraid until I can play online with at least one friend beside me on the couch the onlinemode will be dead already :( I just can't wrap my head around why such an important feature gets neglected right from the start. Is it really that hard to port from console to PC? Or are there financial reasons not to focus on splitscreen? It breaks my heart seeing 343 bragging about "being in touch with the community" but for this topic there's just dead silence. At least tell us what the problem is!
If they will add splitscreen, I really hope that resolution 3840x1080 will be supported too, I have two monitors and that will be really awesome
The saddest thing about this situation is that not only did split screen exist on xbox and xbox 360 titles, but also in the xbox build of MCC. They literally have the feature in their other codebase but probably intentionally removed it to increase sales. It's been well over a year now and STILL no real news... I haven't even touched the game in months because I have no reason to since I can't play with my buddies.
2001 : Halo releases on old Pentium 3 Xbox fully playable with split-screen coop
2021 : We have powerful PCs which can send the man on Mars but actual devs can't do split-screen on Halo lol
zachula5 wrote:
stckrboy wrote:
It just can't have anything to do with technical ability/Work time, I don't buy it. They have it on the X/S series and bragged about it's "enhanced" split screen capabilities. It's optimized already. It's been "Pending further discussion" It has something to do with accounts/steam/PC precedent, and they don't want to deal with it, or, they don't want to tell us it will be a guest system after making everyone wait for a year to even bring it up.
stckrboy wrote:
They did a season 5 announcement/abbreviated bug fix thing and conveniently left off the backlog
https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/news/grd-is-here-mcc-season-5-now-live
It went unaddressed since June, there's not even a guarantee they'll do these MCC updates monthly anymore now they're doing infinite news every month.
They announced MCC will have season releases up until at least season 10, so updates will continue to come. The season 5 update wasn't a dev blog so didn't have the full road map, you can find that in the 2020 retrospective where splitscreen is indeed mentioned
https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/news/mcc-development-retrospective-december-2020
stckrboy wrote:
it's being ignored, we can all see that otherwise it wouldn't be stuck in the "backlog" of eternal limbo.

so far it seems like they / you just don't care. we are all greatful for halo finally coming to pc again but not having a complete product sucks.

you don't release half a product and expect everyone to be ok with it and claim it's not important enough to be worked on when it's part of the fricken game.

you guys charged money for this, that's 6 games that are only half complete as splitscreen has always been a big part of halo.

just get someone to come out and say whether it's gonna be added or not. we're all waiting and many are tired of waiting...so very tired. excuses after excuses, dev blog after dev blog with no news in sight.

all that talk about caring about pc gamers isn't sounding very genuine right now.
If it was being ignored it wouldn't even be on the back log or mentioned at all. While it might seem like it's the most important feature for you, 343 have a wider view of the communities wants from all the feedback they gather - from here on Waypoint, reddit, twitter, Discord, facebook, etc. They roadmaps they work out are based on analyzing all that data and seeing what it feasible to fit into the schedules. Once they've cleared out the in-development features then I'm sure that split-screen will get its chance. There are lots of factors to take into consideration when balancing feature / bug fix priority and not everyone is always going to be happy about what gets moved forward and what doesn't.

Friendly reminder also that moderators don't work for 343 and have no say in any kind of development or feedback matters, we're community members just like you.
Literally cancelled my game pass after having it since beta cause I'm still salty af that split screen is not in. Won't give 343 or microsoft my money anymore I'm over it. Shoulda known with the halo 5 debacle this kinda crap would persist into the future.
just noticed too. 397 replies to this thread and they still haven't gotten the point.
literrally, the only reason i'd replay all the campaigns again is via splitscreen but as there still isn't splitscreen on pc, the game sits there on steam, collecting dust. tempted to uninstall but that 1% of remaining hope says "keep it installed".

i bet if there was no pandemic or halo infinite delay we'd still be waiting for this feature...

let's take a look a their priorities....

some of those things have been on the list for months, talk about slow. steam account linking and custom games browsers, those have been on the active list for many months.
even before the pandemic slowed things down even more.
super secret features and hdr are still more important than splitscreen....really? i can't be the only one who doesn't care for most of the stuff on those lists. mod support, more gfx options and i guess custom games browser, yes, but the rest...not so much.

multiplayer ain't the only good thing about halo.

Quote:
Global Features and Development StatusActively In Development
  • View Model Adjustment for all games: On track for early 2021
  • Steam Account Linking: On track for early 2021
  • In Game FPS Cap/Adjustments: More options coming in 2021
  • PC File Share: On track for early 2021
  • Additional Video Settings/Options: More options coming in 2021
  • Custom Game Browser: On track for early 2021
  • Double Key Binds for all games: On track for early 2021
  • Per Game Audio Options: This should be in flights in early 2021
  • Bringing PC Features to Console (Like FOV Sliders): We will communicate more on this next year, no hard timeline for when these features could be making their way to console
In Design Iteration
  • Additional Mod Support  
  • Additional Accessibility Support
  • HDR Support on PC
  • New Season Content (ADDED)
  • New Forge Items (ADDED)
  • All the super-secret features I’m not ready to talk about just yet (ADDED)
In Backlog, Pending Further Discussions
  • Idle System Improvements
  • Splitscreen on PC
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 18
  4. 19
  5. 20
  6. ...
  7. 21