Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Halo: The Master Chief Collection (PC)

@Ske7ch: No Splitscreen for PC [at launch]

OP Auraven2572

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. ...
  9. 18
Look, literally no one would say NO to split-screen, why would anyone want fewer features?? The point of all of this is that if they decided to extend dev time just for split-screen, instead of just adding it afterward, that would piss off the massive majority of PC gamers. Obviously, players are out there that actively use split-screen, but the point is that they are definitely not the majority. How close they are to being the majority, nobody knows, but they are for sure not the majority. Splitscreen can be added afterward and satisfy that niche. As it should be! But don't go and say "hey, stop everything and slow down progress for everyone just so we can put in this feature that most players won't use and the rest of the players will occasionally use and a very small amount of players will use all the time."

That's just dumb and if you really want coop split screen immediately, then consoles exist for you! The largest games on PC don't have split screen and probably never will. Which speaks volumes.
Split-screen is already in the code it's not a new feature or something that has not been done before.

As for delaying development, it's a mystery. But consider this, the implementation of FOV in Reach has been met with warm reception, how much work do you think it will require to tune it up?

Dumb is locking a feature to consoles and then toss uninformed and dishonest arguments. PC's already support big screens, multiple input devices and they sure as hell can handle split-screen.

It seems to me that must of the people against splitt-screen on PC are just buthurt console players that want something unique to still consider themselves special.

Drop it please, it's 2019, anyone who wanted to buy an Xbox for Halo already has.
Slickini wrote:
Slickini wrote:
Split screen is a huge technical work for a game, so I would not care too much if it wasn't included. Just as long as the rest is perfect. Online multiplayer and online coop are what is actually important. This is PC, not console.
Strongly disagree.

PCs aren't simply allocated to a desk anymore; there are many people that play with on their couch with their PC connected to a TV. Split-screen is absolutely a crucial feature for many people.
It requires resources to implement Split-screen, and I seriously don't want to wait for extra months to get my hands on this game because of this 1 feature. I want to play it as soon as possible, and if they are releasing Split-screen after launch - I believe they will - then everyone wins. What's more important is to just release MCC as soon as possible. I would be very pissed off to know if split-screen affects the release date.
Precisely. Split-screen can always be added as another feature later, which would be great for the small minority, but this should not be a focus currently, whatsoever, which is how the dev team feels exactly. "Many people" wanting splitscreen is still the smallest minority in PC gaming. The numbers just don't justify the devs putting in the work before launch.
lol Small minority,Did you see what happen to halo 5 cause they took it out.It is one of the games best features.If its too much work to put it in at launch fine,but i wont buy the game until they confirm that they will add it and i dont think im the only one who feels that way.I had way more fun playing local split screen with friends then i ever did online and when i did play online i played split screen with friends.
You wont buy a game because of 1 feature? Yeah ok Right. We all know you'll still buy it
take building out fortnite and see what happens.taking out the best feature of games hurts sales no doubt.stupid point bro.
BovinoSLB wrote:
Look, literally no one would say NO to split-screen, why would anyone want fewer features?? The point of all of this is that if they decided to extend dev time just for split-screen, instead of just adding it afterward, that would piss off the massive majority of PC gamers. Obviously, players are out there that actively use split-screen, but the point is that they are definitely not the majority. How close they are to being the majority, nobody knows, but they are for sure not the majority. Splitscreen can be added afterward and satisfy that niche. As it should be! But don't go and say "hey, stop everything and slow down progress for everyone just so we can put in this feature that most players won't use and the rest of the players will occasionally use and a very small amount of players will use all the time."

That's just dumb and if you really want coop split screen immediately, then consoles exist for you! The largest games on PC don't have split screen and probably never will. Which speaks volumes.
Split-screen is already in the code it's not a new feature or something that has not been done before.

As for delaying development, it's a mystery. But consider this, the implementation of FOV in Reach has been met with warm reception, how much work do you think it will require to tune it up?

Dumb is locking a feature to consoles and then toss uninformed and dishonest arguments. PC's already support big screens, multiple input devices and they sure as hell can handle split-screen.

It seems to me that must of the people against splitt-screen on PC are just buthurt console players that want something unique to still consider themselves special.

Drop it please, it's 2019, anyone who wanted to buy an Xbox for Halo already has.
thats how i feel to bro.Dont know why there is anyone againts split screen.It almost seems microsoft has people on here trying to do some damage control,or its console players who like you said want to feel special.
Slickini wrote:
Slickini wrote:
Split screen is a huge technical work for a game, so I would not care too much if it wasn't included. Just as long as the rest is perfect. Online multiplayer and online coop are what is actually important. This is PC, not console.
Strongly disagree.

PCs aren't simply allocated to a desk anymore; there are many people that play with on their couch with their PC connected to a TV. Split-screen is absolutely a crucial feature for many people.
It requires resources to implement Split-screen, and I seriously don't want to wait for extra months to get my hands on this game because of this 1 feature. I want to play it as soon as possible, and if they are releasing Split-screen after launch - I believe they will - then everyone wins. What's more important is to just release MCC as soon as possible. I would be very pissed off to know if split-screen affects the release date.
Precisely. Split-screen can always be added as another feature later, which would be great for the small minority, but this should not be a focus currently, whatsoever, which is how the dev team feels exactly. "Many people" wanting splitscreen is still the smallest minority in PC gaming. The numbers just don't justify the devs putting in the work before launch.
lol Small minority,Did you see what happen to halo 5 cause they took it out.It is one of the games best features.If its too much work to put it in at launch fine,but i wont buy the game until they confirm that they will add it and i dont think im the only one who feels that way.I had way more fun playing local split screen with friends then i ever did online and when i did play online i played split screen with friends.
You wont buy a game because of 1 feature? Yeah ok Right. We all know you'll still buy it
take building out fortnite and see what happens.taking out the best feature of games hurts sales no doubt.stupid point bro.
I am huge Forge fan, and guess what... I am bothered by the fact it's not coming at launch... but I am not going to say "i aM n0t bUyInG tHe GaMe uNtiL f0rGe r3LeAsEs"
Slickini wrote:
Slickini wrote:
Slickini wrote:
Strongly disagree.

I am huge Forge fan, and guess what... I am bothered by the fact it's not coming at launch... but I am not going to say "i aM n0t bUyInG tHe GaMe uNtiL f0rGe r3LeAsEs"
Pretty sad that forge isn't coming right away, but will still buy it regardless.
Slickini wrote:
Strongly disagree.

Someone will make a mod out of it if there is no split-screen, so yes it shouldn't be a focus.
This is generally not possible. I don't think a single game has ever not added Split-Screen support that had it modded in, even if it needed it. There are usually workarounds like with Halo Online or programs like Distro but they barely work (if at all) and only support a very limited amount of titles. Using these or modding split-screen into something connected to an existing online account like MCC is not possible. 100% won't happen.
I trust them to add it eventually. Halo has always been awesome because it has such a competitive multiplayer scene while simultaneously being an awesome couch multiplayer party game with friends. Imo messing around with 3 other people in forge or infection is just as important as adjusting the mouse controls to make them competitive. 343 needs to know there is a demand for splitscreen on pc. One of the biggest reasons I was excited for the pc port was so i didn’t have to lug my xbone over to my gfs house in order to play halo with her. It is an important part of halo and definitely an oversight on 343s part for them to essentially ignore it until we demanded it. Not bashing 343 though they are doing an amazing job as caretakers for the legacy halos, can’t say I enjoy their new games much but they are taking good care of my trilogy.
Strongly disagree.

The irony, pcs are now trying to become more like consoles.
I was just watching a few older video of The Act Man and I loved his opinion about splitscreen, that it creates attention and sales via word of mouth and that playing with others that are right next to you is often times a more enjoyable experience than playing with random people online.

https://youtu.be/qNAT2YHx1qc?t=526

Me and my brother played a lot of games together on my PC with two DS4 controllers connected and we still do. Having splitscreen in Halo would be absolutely gorgeous as Halo is a big part of our childhoods (maybe a bit more for me than him) so playing it together would be the best thing to come true. Of course overcoming the technical complications of porting the games to play perfectly on PC is and should be a top priority so I'm really hoping they will find a way for it to work in the future.
I can not see myself buying the master chief collection until it has split screen co-op. I build PCs because I am unimpressed with console specs. Trying to force me to buy a console to play with more than one person is not going to be very fruitful, whats going to happen is I am not going to touch these games and if I feel nostalgic I'll just fire up my xbox 360. I already own the master chief collection on legacy it is not an upgrade or even relevant for me to buy each game again if its not going to function exactly how it did back in the day with improvements. Shame on you developers for having your own agenda and forgetting the nostalgia. While I was watching the reach campaign I also noted that the AI bugged frequently and the covenant were not shooting back at all at times. I hope you guys fix that too.
Respect split screen co-op on PC or lose my business. And also do not defend your unwillingness to develop split screen co-op by telling me that it is technically impossible to get the game to render in split screen because I am aware PC is far more powerful of a platform than console by my many experiences and detailed research. Multiple logins for multiple players on one PC? If you can't figure it out it's because the solution is GUEST ACCOUNTS!
Strongly disagree.

Or they're trying to offer more flexibility? Consoles have one thing right, and that's convenience. Unfortunately this is slowly going away with split screen diminishing. I'd like split screen (local multiplayer) to stay as I can't justify spending $120 for two copies of the game to play with my spouse or friends. It's not right.
Strongly disagree.

The irony is that consoles are being announced right now with ryzen cpus, mobile versions of actual pc graphics cards integrated into the mobo and support for 4k and over 30fps, it seems almost as though it is actually consoles that are trying to become more like PCs. But without an upgrade path and a promise of future commitment to a junkyard I can not buy that crap. My gaming device is my main device, it is upgradeable with 8 cores and 16 threads for plenty of multitasking ability and enough umph that I achieve 4k 60+ fps with HDR and real Surround Sound. Going further I often run games windowed in lower resolutions with documentaries or other media playing side by side. Console can not do that, there is no competition and nothing as utilitarian as a PC as the do it all of current devices.
Terg500 wrote:
I was just watching a few older video of The Act Man and I loved his opinion about splitscreen, that it creates attention and sales via word of mouth and that playing with others that are right next to you is often times a more enjoyable experience than playing with random people online.

https://youtu.be/qNAT2YHx1qc?t=526Me and my brother played a lot of games together on my PC with two DS4 controllers connected and we still do. Having splitscreen in Halo would be absolutely gorgeous as Halo is a big part of our childhoods (maybe a bit more for me than him) so playing it together would be the best thing to come true. Of course overcoming the technical complications of porting the games to play perfectly on PC is and should be a top priority so I'm really hoping they will find a way for it to work in the future.
Gotta love The Act Man
Strongly disagree.

I would say that as we get closer to knowing details about the next Xbox and PlayStation, that PC's and consoles are meeting each other halfway. Consoles are becoming more powerful and are able to do far more than they used to. As Halo 117 Chief said they aren't restricted to a desk anymore and people are using them for their TV's. I used to use my Xbox One on my PC monitor occasionally.
Slickini wrote:
Slickini wrote:
Slickini wrote:
Strongly disagree.

well i am saying that. If i want to play a first person shooter by myself,Ill go play mw2,Its much better shooter in my opinion.I have always played halo split screen,i have alot of brothers and if i play halo im playing with them.Sorry if that upsets you for some reason.
I can not see myself buying the master chief collection until it has split screen co-op. I build PCs because I am unimpressed with console specs. Trying to force me to buy a console to play with more than one person is not going to be very fruitful, whats going to happen is I am not going to touch these games and if I feel nostalgic I'll just fire up my xbox 360. I already own the master chief collection on legacy it is not an upgrade or even relevant for me to buy each game again if its not going to function exactly how it did back in the day with improvements. Shame on you developers for having your own agenda and forgetting the nostalgia. While I was watching the reach campaign I also noted that the AI bugged frequently and the covenant were not shooting back at all at times. I hope you guys fix that too.
Respect split screen co-op on PC or lose my business. And also do not defend your unwillingness to develop split screen co-op by telling me that it is technically impossible to get the game to render in split screen because I am aware PC is far more powerful of a platform than console by my many experiences and detailed research. Multiple logins for multiple players on one PC? If you can't figure it out it's because the solution is GUEST ACCOUNTS!
Yea thats the same way i feel.These games are gonna sell well because of the good memories people had playing them and to leave out split screen is just unfair.I will not buy it either till i know split screen will be in the game.
Slickini wrote:
Slickini wrote:
Slickini wrote:
Strongly disagree.

well i am saying that. If i want to play a first person shooter by myself,Ill go play mw2,Its much better shooter in my opinion.I have always played halo split screen,i have alot of brothers and if i play halo im playing with them.Sorry if that upsets you for some reason.
Wow Ok you are a different kind of gamer
Slickini wrote:
Slickini wrote:
Slickini wrote:
Slickini wrote:
Strongly disagree.

Wow Ok you are a different kind of gamer
I guess,but im not the only one here who said they wont get it untill split screen is confirmed.These halo games are old,if i get them it will be to relive good memories and thats playing with my friends in the same room.Now dont get me wrong,if they do put split screen and forge in i will play it more than anyother game for a long time.The only game
that compares to the fun i had on reach,is smash bros.
It's not just no split-screen, it's no split screen or Xbox cross-platform play that is really getting me. Either one would have opened up so many options for me, and for now we are getting neither.
BovinoSLB wrote:

Solid bait...?
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. ...
  9. 18