Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Halo: The Master Chief Collection (PC)

@Ske7ch: No Splitscreen for PC [at launch]

OP Auraven2572

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. 5
  6. 6
  7. 7
  8. ...
  9. 18
It does kind of smell like 343 can't seem to handle the full weight of this project like they thought they could, & I'm REALLY hoping that this doesn't result in poor management of the title, despite their openness concerning pleasing the fans with a fully-fledged PC port. I like Ske7ch & his attitude, but I really hope.that they don't buckle under the pressure over & over with every difficulty they encounter...they started with the commitment of having a fully functional PC port of each title with all the PC features that PC gamers would expect...

...which is why I do feel like that's a bit of a glaring find, since Forge & Theater are being delayed, & CORE features of the franchise (Splitscreen, local play) are being ignored, omitted indefinitely due to "lack of interest", or not mentioned. I'm glad your committed to a complete optimization of PC features...but still seems like having a complete package on time of any Halo game under 343 is a pipe dream. How did Bungie do it...? Is 343 just that much smaller or less skilled than them?
Regardless, I'm still rooting for them to succeed. I'll swallow my mild irritations, as long as I can have matchmaking & local custom games again.

But I'll be pissed as -Yoink- if they pull another stunt like they did when they abandoned MCC to prop up Halo 5 in 2015. I'm just as excited for Halo Infinite as the next guy, but if this turns out to be another cash grab to pad out the content-drought, I'm gonna be more than a little mad.
Work on rebuilding MCC started with just a few employees and group of community members testing things out least year, before opening up to more players. With the announcement of Reach and PC support they brought in 2 other game studios to help complete the work. I honestly can't think for one second why they would outsource 2 companies and keep a small group of employees to complete the work on this if it was nothing but a "cash grab", and calling it that really does a disservice to the employees currently working to fulfill the wishes of the community

Not everything can get done at once and sometimes things have to take the backburner so that other parts can be polished and released. People want things done right and that means, unfortunately, that they will have to wait a little longer for them.
I go to some nerdy conventions and tbh I'd love to do that in some of the LAN gaming rooms there are. It sounds like a blast.
stckrboy wrote:
Work on rebuilding MCC started with just a few employees and group of community members testing things out least year, before opening up to more players. With the announcement of Reach and PC support they brought in 2 other game studios to help complete the work. I honestly can't think for one second why they would outsource 2 companies and keep a small group of employees to complete the work on this if it was nothing but a "cash grab", and calling it that really does a disservice to the employees currently working to fulfill the wishes of the community

Not everything can get done at once and sometimes things have to take the backburner so that other parts can be polished and released. People want things done right and that means, unfortunately, that they will have to wait a little longer for them.
I can respect their efforts, I just hope they can delay release until split-screen and Cross Console support are implemented. I have been made allot of promises in my life that were not kept by another party, it is a discipline that I practice only exchanging money for goods and services rendered at time of payment. I will buy the game when it meets my expectations and not a moment before, regardless of "promises" for future development... I hope the right people are hearing our opinions about these features so that they cease to be excluded from the game. If the studio continues the direction they are headed and release the game the way they see fit (ignoring their customer base) I will forecast that it will be a huge waste of the studios budget.
stckrboy wrote:

Dont listen to the haters. OGs know you guys are on top of things.
Why are people so upset that a shooter on pc doesn't have splitscreen? Since when have they done that? If you play a game on pc it's not to play in splitscreen. There is no point for a game on pc to support it since most computers are not set up in areas to allow it.
Why are people so upset that a shooter on pc doesn't have splitscreen? Since when have they done that? If you play a game on pc it's not to play in splitscreen. There is no point for a game on pc to support it since most computers are not set up in areas to allow it.
I think the point that people here are making is that PC's are no longer confined to a desk anymore. Lots of people have them in a living room and connect them to a TV. So it makes sense to want split-screen.

I would also say that split-screen Halo is a core part of the game series identity. Being able to play with friends with co-op campaign, custom games, firefight or multiplayer is part of the Halo experience. Having that taken away would be removing part of the game's soul and what makes it special.
I hope it comes as the collection is more fleshed out then. It would be a shame, and a terrible missed opportunity to have all the rendering power and a nice display and the ability to connect multiple input devices and lack split screen.
I hope it comes as the collection is more fleshed out then. It would be a shame, and a terrible missed opportunity to have all the rendering power and a nice display and the ability to connect multiple input devices and lack split screen.
When you said multiple input devices I read it as multiple output devices and my mind was completely blown as I imagined a 4 monitor setup powered by one rig playing halo where each person gets their own monitor. I completely forgot that was even an option now that we are on pc.
Exactly. This is a minority group who are just trying to be the loudest. It would be AWESOME to have it. But the majority of PC gamers don't need it. So I say don't even look at split-screen until after the game is released. And those children who say "no split-screen, no buy" can enjoy watching the streams of people enjoying the game. lul
Exactly. This is a minority group who are just trying to be the loudest. It would be AWESOME to have it. But the majority of PC gamers don't need it. So I say don't even look at split-screen until after the game is released. And those children who say "no split-screen, no buy" can enjoy watching the streams of people enjoying the game. lul
Not all of us PC gamers are loners, some of us have friends and lovers to play with. I can tell you that I personally did not spend > $1.2k to horde my machine to a desk,,, I have it paired with a 65" 4K HDR display. I game allot with other people because you have allot more fun killing the bad guys when you're with the bros. When you have a large TV its not like anyone has any trouble seeing what they are doing, Haters gonna hate I guess. But I like my setup just fine.
Considering I brought the subject up, I do consider myself among the more heavily disappointed in the lack of PC Splitscreen...but I guess I should have made it more clear that I am willing to admit it's only an issue to a minority of PC players. I agree that its not as bad to omit split-screen from the PC platform than the console platform as you can't easily set up Splitscreen with multiple mouse & keyboards (I think it would really only work for controllers), and I think that it's probably wise of them to identify SS as something that doesn't warrant the effort at launch.

My only reason for raising the concern is having SS available on PC platforms DOES have value that would benefit the growth of the franchise & community. It would make setting up & hosting LAN events for social gatherings MUCH easier, allowing people who don't own Xboxes or Gaming PCs to experience the game & get interested -- and ignoring that makes me afraid that it might not even be considered at all post-launch. I am the only person in my local friend group with an Xbox One despite all of those friends being huge fans of the classic Halo games, & having the freedom+ability to gather just 4 gaming PCs & monitors together with any assortment of 16 PC-compatible controllers for LAN events? We were banking on it pretty heavily actually...

Without SS on PC, the only way for us to host a 16-player Halo MCC LAN event in 2019 would be to either:-buy 3 more Xbox Ones, 3 more copies of Halo MCC PC (thru Games Pass if necessary), and more than a DOZEN Xbox One controllers (I only have 2) or other Xbox One compatible controllers (I know some are but it's more picky than Windows for sure, from what I've read...360 controllers will not work :-( )

OR

-Gather 16 Gaming PC Desktops + monitors/TVs, keyboards, mice and all (full-setups, basically) OR laptops AND have 16 PC copies of EACH game we wish to play (16 copies of Reach PC or 16 copies of Halo 3 PC)

YES...this isn't a dealbreaker for most & it isn't going to stop be from buying & getting as many people to buy the game as possible to make that second option happen. And yes, again, its's definitely a fringe minority issue compared to the number of things that are slated to go right with MCC PC so far. But SplitScreen on PC WOULD have clear benefits for old fans who see the PC version as an opportunity to re-ignite the offline LAN event scene amongst friends.

I do not mind if it's not there at launch, but the current rhetoric of "SplitScreen doesn't make sense on PC at all so who cares" makes it seem pretty likely this will never be worth being considered post-launch. If that happens, yeah not many people will care but it will make LAN parties a pain in the -Yoink- to revive :(

For those of you who think local LAN parties for Halo are dead & not a concern, I was just at Halo Outpost Discovery the other day & the most fun I had at the event was the Halo MCC Xbox LAN corner where they were hosting many local games of BTB & Slayer...reminded me of how different matchmaking feels with only 2 guys in an online lobby with mics vs unforgettable irl parties & events where you can hear the agonized cries of the dude you just dunked on 3 seats over whether he has a mic or not.
Not all of us PC gamers are loners, some of us have friends and lovers to play with. I can tell you that I personally did not spend > $1.2k to horde my machine to a desk,,, I have it paired with a 65" 4K HDR display. I game allot with other people because you have allot more fun killing the bad guys when you're with the bros. When you have a large TV its not like anyone has any trouble seeing what they are doing, Haters gonna hate I guess. But I like my setup just fine.
Most PC gamers aren't loners, that's why they connect their PCs with a fancy new thing called the Internet.
I will not buy a single halo game without splitt screen.its not even a halo game at that point,at least not for me.
All the people i know think the same way, lots of people not playing anymore for that.
Disappointed to be hearing this. I won't be buying this game without split screen support. I was really looking forward to playing through the cooperative campaign with my wife...

Yes split screen on PC hasn't historically been a standard, but why shouldn't it be, especially in an age where PC gaming is becoming increasingly couch friendly? Halo is known for breaking new ground in its genre. They can't even set a new standard for PC split screen?
You know what would absolutely blow me away? If they were able to put 16 player split screen across 4 screens coming from ONE PC. I have 3 TVs (2 currently in storage) and a home theater room with a projector and would absolutely throw LAN parties with all displays hooked up via my GTX1080 with plenty of beer.

Halo was a game changer back in 2001 because it stood out from every other current FPS. First time i played was at a friend's lan party. Only 2 people there actually owned the game but after that night we were hooked. One by one we all bought an OG Xbox and copy of Halo CE.

Now the market is flooded with free to play FPS games that are all relatively similar. Split screen Halo on PC would definitely place it above the competition again.
i'm gonna be extremely disappointed if i don't see splitscreen on pc, i might not even buy the game because of it, its okay not to have it at launch , but later on they have to add it not completely removing the feature just because its pc and some people say it doesn't matter , it mattered before , why it shouldn't matter now ? besides , its halo , there is no excuse to remove it specially when its already in the game and possible because the game is optimized on pc , splitscreen is still important to many people, 343 shouldn't make the same mistake with halo 5 , removing splitscreen completely
Just have Split screen feature be a offline mode. Simple as that. And as others above have already said. Just have

JayMan88
JayMan88(1)
JayMan88(2)
JayMan88(3)

That way when people want to LAN play or couch play (4players splitscreen) they can do so with as many friends join as possible.

There is no need to have tracking account unlocks points achievement. Etc. per player nonsense.

No one cares about tracking that stuff when it comes to couch fun and LAN parties. We just want to play together.
Splitscreen is the only reason I ever played a halo game, I would go to my friends house and myself and four or five other people would sit and pass the controller whenever we died. Without this basic feature there's almost no draw to the franchise for me at all. As for what the devs had said about it being difficult to implement, there's absolutely no reason why more than one player wouldn't be able to play at a time. One game that comes to mind is a free fps steam game called Gunscape, where up to eight players can play on the same moniter at the same time, If you want to see how to do PC splitscreen right, that's it.
Side note: For anyone saying performance is the big issue, every PC out there today is at least several times more powerful than an Xbox 360. Getting at least 30 fps with four players on screen is more than reasonable. Again i'll bring up Gunscape, as I was able to play four player split screen at upwards of 40 fps on a ten year old laptop with no problems at all.
If you've learned one thing from reading this post let it be this: if halo doesn't deliver on the most basic and important feature of its gameplay, there are other games that will.
Most PC gamers aren't loners, that's why they connect their PCs with a fancy new thing called the Internet.
Well most people aren't PC gamers. The majority of people don't have the time or money to devote to make buying the game or a PC worth it. That's the true beauty of split-screen, its an incredibly effective means of getting casuals into playing games, or just sharing the experience with people and spreading interest. It was playing split screen games like halo reach and black ops on 360 that introduced me to the shooter genre in the first place, and went on to make me into the PC nerd I am today. It saddens me to think of people who haven't had that experience, and to think that people wont be able to do so in the future. The name halo pulls a lot of weight, and in a world where split screen is dying, they could be the ones to bring it back.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. 5
  6. 6
  7. 7
  8. ...
  9. 18