Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Halo: The Master Chief Collection (PC)

@Ske7ch: No Splitscreen for PC [at launch]

OP Auraven2572

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 6
  4. 7
  5. 8
  6. 9
  7. 10
  8. ...
  9. 18
BANGHART wrote:
who in their right minds plays splitscreen on p.c?? LOL

If you have friends that play Halo, and you all play Halo together, why wouldn't you just play on console like youve been doing for 20 years now?

Am I trippin right now or what?

For people that plan on playing splitscreen on p.c, are you all going to be playing on the same p.c monitor, using controllers? Or do you have your gaming p.c hooked up to a big screen?

LOL I dont get it. Do you guys even own a p.c or what? What is going on here??
Split screen for pc would just be a waist of dev time and resources. It simply wouldn't be utilized by the vast majority
I know the conversation on this topic has sta...blah blah blah BLAHHH
...sorry for tl;dr.

There are *plenty* of us who would like to do PC LAN parties without having to have 1 PC or laptop for every person present.

Halo's greatest strength is having the flexibility to say "yes, you can do that." It should be the same on PC. Lots of us would plug into an HDTV for something like this and clean of all our old 360 controllers.
I know the conversation on this topic has started to go all over the place, but I think the value of split-screen for Halo needs to be reiterated.

Halo's mass popularity was founded upon it's insane flexibility, especially in social spaces. While games like Quake, Unreal Tourney, Half-Life, and so on were traditionally "nerdy" games locked to the PC monitor in gaming dungeons, Halo was able to be shared amongst up to 16 people at once with 4 people per console. This is what allowed Halo to effectively establish console Esports with it's mass appeal...

While it may be 2019/2020 and most people own PCs, many people are trying to re-establish social gaming at home -- and smash Bros / other dinky 2 player games just don't cut it. Maybe not everyone will utilize split-screen, but having Halo available on the most accessible platform in the world AND giving the capability of letting 3 friends play with you on a single screen would allow the game to be accessible again, where it's been fundamentally lost with most modern games today.
Not everyone owns a PC...and many of them just want to play the game & skip the PC part. Sure you could play it on Xbox, but the Xbox community is failing to grow & PC is where there will certainly be the most substantial activity in time.

All of my friends have HDTV gaming PCs at this point to replace their xboxs, & being able to host a 4 player Slayer match just by bringing over one PC hooked up to an HDTV with 4 controllers and one controller adapter...it has an appeal.

There is nothing more saddening to me to think of how the only way to play the game with 4 friends on the PC platform will be in 4 seperate places in a discord server...always playing online gets stale sometimes, man. The only alternative will be to have 4 Laptops/PCs, 4 monitors/computers, all with power & ethernet connections in the same house...I still look forward to making that work but...
This is where split-screen was and still is an important part of Halo's DNA, even on PC.

If you're not among those who like having IRL LAN pizza partys with split-screen Slayer until the sun rises, then good for you. But I hate to break it to you, there's actually a lot of us who absolutely want that back in the realm of possibility.
Could not agree more.

Now that the other thread has been closed, I will ask here - now that Halo Reach has launched, does anyone know of an update on post-launch split-screen support?
WTF ?????????
Halo without split-screen ????????
It's like getting married with a BEAUTIFUL woman...........without a v@gin@
Most of my friends do not own an Xbox or a Windows PC capable of playing Halo, but many of them would definitely love to play split screen with me. I also want to play through all the campaigns again with my wife, but I refuse to buy 2 copies of the game just for that. I'm not going to let 343i make money off of removing features that were core to the original experience. Looks like I'll be going back to the 360 versions to play split screen.
Cara até agora não estou acreditando que não tem tela dividida. Fiz a compra do jogo para jogar com meus primos nas férias e agora a 343 vem e me tira a essência de Halo... mds
No splitscreen? For real? Well, then is a no-buy for me.
Quote:
I know it was mentioned in the stream that they don't even currently know how they would support multiple accounts via a single copy of the game, and perhaps that is a valid point...but I would suggest why not just creating some sort of a guest system per PC? The owner of the game is logged in & up to 3 blank guests can join, like how the Xbox 360 used to create blank guest users. No experience tracking or extensive customization for them, just the option to customize controller settings & that's it. Just an idea.
Pretty sure this excuse is as dumb now as it was three years ago when the Gears 4 team used it. The Windows Store and Xbox apps on Windows 10 already support storing and switching between multiple accounts, so it's not a credential management issue, and if it's as simple as not having any way to manage multiple logins simultaneously in the Xbox/Windows SDK, it's an issue Microsoft's been aware of for years and deliberately hasn't implemented.

I'll probably still buy Reach, because it's the last Halo game I really enjoyed. But if splitscreen still hasn't been implemented by the time Halo 2 and 3 are ready, I'm going to have to pass.
Nope not buying until they add local split screen on PC.
Would rather just play my original 360 disc on Xenia because unlike this version that does support local campaign.
Seriously Microsoft, what were you thinking... I was so hyped for this game just at the thought of having the first fps couch co-op game on PC. and you seriously removed an 11-year-old feature from an 11-year-old game?.
LawrenceSF wrote:
I know the conversation on this topic has started to go all over the place, but I think the value of split-screen for Halo needs to be reiterated.

Halo's mass popularity was founded upon it's insane flexibility, especially in social spaces. While games like Quake, Unreal Tourney, Half-Life, and so on were traditionally "nerdy" games locked to the PC monitor in gaming dungeons, Halo was able to be shared amongst up to 16 people at once with 4 people per console. This is what allowed Halo to effectively establish console Esports with it's mass appeal...

While it may be 2019/2020 and most people own PCs, many people are trying to re-establish social gaming at home -- and smash Bros / other dinky 2 player games just don't cut it. Maybe not everyone will utilize split-screen, but having Halo available on the most accessible platform in the world AND giving the capability of letting 3 friends play with you on a single screen would allow the game to be accessible again, where it's been fundamentally lost with most modern games today.
Not everyone owns a PC...and many of them just want to play the game & skip the PC part. Sure you could play it on Xbox, but the Xbox community is failing to grow & PC is where there will certainly be the most substantial activity in time.

All of my friends have HDTV gaming PCs at this point to replace their xboxs, & being able to host a 4 player Slayer match just by bringing over one PC hooked up to an HDTV with 4 controllers and one controller adapter...it has an appeal.

There is nothing more saddening to me to think of how the only way to play the game with 4 friends on the PC platform will be in 4 seperate places in a discord server...always playing online gets stale sometimes, man. The only alternative will be to have 4 Laptops/PCs, 4 monitors/computers, all with power & ethernet connections in the same house...I still look forward to making that work but...
This is where split-screen was and still is an important part of Halo's DNA, even on PC.

If you're not among those who like having IRL LAN pizza partys with split-screen Slayer until the sun rises, then good for you. But I hate to break it to you, there's actually a lot of us who absolutely want that back in the realm of possibility.
Could not agree more.

Now that the other thread has been closed, I will ask here - now that Halo Reach has launched, does anyone know of an update on post-launch split-screen support?
I don't have the source off hand but they did mention if enough people wanted it they would think about implementing it. It is kind of lazy to say its some account issue when Gears already does it fine.
Well, a recent official "update" contained in an Ars Technica article, unfortunately it is no update at all...

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2019/12/halo-reach-impressions-on-windows-early-access-but-it-works-mostly/

Quote:
Halo Reach on PC is the customizable combat we’ve been wanting—but just barely
12/6/2019
As a personal nitpick: though Halo Reach on Xbox One consoles includes support for split-screen modes, its PC counterpart does not. It's a glaring omission for a series whose chief Bonnie Ross previously announced that, going forward, all Halo shooters would come with split-screen options by default. I prefer to connect my PC to my living room TV for split-screen gaming whenever possible. In an official statement, a 343i representative told Ars that the team is "investigating possibilities" for split-screen play on PC but wouldn't confirm anything further than that.
BANGHART wrote:
who in their right minds plays splitscreen on p.c?? LOL

If you have friends that play Halo, and you all play Halo together, why wouldn't you just play on console like youve been doing for 20 years now?

Am I trippin right now or what?

For people that plan on playing splitscreen on p.c, are you all going to be playing on the same p.c monitor, using controllers? Or do you have your gaming p.c hooked up to a big screen?

LOL I dont get it. Do you guys even own a p.c or what? What is going on here??
really bud? some of us love play split-screen on higher FPS and better graphics and more detailed, and also mods for messing around. on pc with family and friends.
Console gets maybe 30 fps and okay graphics, no mods on console.
Would you rather play 120+ fps split screen or 30 fps split screen? Why do you think gears 5 added split-screen and players love it for it. When I invite people over

playing on high settings on 60-inch tv looks and feels amazing with 4 people playing it.
Duck Game
Broforce
Overcooked
Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime
Jackbox
I bought it stoked to play with my friends again... This is a complete bummer if split screen isn't added...
I was really stocked about Halo Masterchief collection for PC, i love first 3 parts (played on xbox back in the day) and was looking forward to PC (which is now my main gaming platform becase it offers more then consoles + there are so many games with local multiplayer) but when i saw there is no split-screen i thought ill have to skip it, so no buy till split-screen will appear. I dont understand whats an issue to make a splitscreen campaign, you dont need an account to control 2nd player, there are hundreds of local coop games on Steam that do not require this, whats the problem 343?
My family has a tradition on playing Halo split screen but ever since my brothers entered college we've had to put it on hold. I would really appreciate being able to to play split screen again when all my 3 brothers are together. I bought 3 controls expecting split screen and I'm hopeful it will come. Currently I'm studying computer science and I understand that while you may have the ability to Port this feature to PC it might still be difficult to accomplish because of restriction of scope the company may put you under and unforseen costs. I know split screen is possible to implement but I do understand if Microsoft won't allow you follow that road. Either way no pressure thank you so much for porting this game to PC I am really grateful.
Guys, those of us who would like split-screen, who need split-screen to play with others in our households, we should ask Ske7ch and Postums on reddit and twitter about the update on split-screen. We have to make it clear to them that there is still significant demand for the feature.
Just throwing my name in here as someone who wants split screen support! I would actually buy another copy if it came with split screen so we could play 8 player games. No way in heck I'm buying 7 more copies though.
I have honestly debated trying to get the rest of the mcc collection refunded if Split Screen is confirmed canned for the later pc releases, or even if it's not confirmed by the time Halo CE rolls around. It's such a shame too as I was hyped beyond belief for this, and this silence on their part is worrying considering how transparent they have been about the rest of the development process. Split screen is quintessential to the core of Halo and to have it gone feels like ripping part of it's heart out: Why should I play the MCC over the originals if the pc releases can't even compete with decade old (or even more in the og xbox's case) hardware?

Halo has been that game that I've always sat down with my friend and played through the campaign, it's an absolute blast. Unfortunately he's not in a position to be buying a pc so for now he has no option to play it's wearing on my enjoyment of the game too. I play other games split screen with him on the pc and this turn of events is a massive disappointment for us both.

Never forget Halo 5's launch and the kick up about lack of split screen: It should be no different here.
n1xcamic wrote:
Just throwing my name in here as someone who wants split screen support! I would actually buy another copy if it came with split screen so we could play 8 player games. No way in heck I'm buying 7 more copies though.
I definitely think that Split-screen (AT LEAST for controllers) would be greatly appreciated but I am enough on the fence where if it really came down to buying enough copies for that many people to play, I would begrudgingly do it...the asking price is right. 10$ for a newly updated edition of Halo Reach on PC, as well as 10$ for the future editions of the other main titles? Yeah...fine, whatever.

My MAIN issue is not the # of copies I need, it's the JUMP of COST and EFFORT necessary for hosting such a group event when it should have DROPPED.

Let me put it into perspective.

To host a 16 player Halo LAN party with Xbox One's/Xbox 360's, you need:
  • 4x Xboxes
  • 4x Screens (TVs or Monitors)
  • 4x Xbox accounts (do not need to be XBL, only one account is necessary per Box)
  • 4x Copies of the Halo game being played
  • 4x Ethernet cables
  • 1x Ethernet Hub/Switch with minimum of 4x available ports
  • 16x Xbox Controllers
  • 9x available power outlets (1 per Xbox, Screen, & Ethernet Hub)
  • 1x credit card for PIZZAAAAA
  • Yes, a lot of AA batteries (rechargable or not)
Not the worst thing to set up, but the difficulty is mainly the controllers which are expensive unless you're doing a 360 LAN party (My friends and family have 360 controllers coming out of our butts by this time in 2019).
The PC version does offer some benefits, ie, batteries are only necessary for controller users, all copies of Halo included come with all the DLC ever released for each game (which you'd have to own & have downloaded on all consoles if you wanted to use those in the LAN which I did not include).
Additionally, not requiring Xbox Live Gold SHOULD be a massively celebrated factor of the games presence on PC and comes with it's own benefits. You could technically forgoe the LAN connectivity aspect of such an event & host the game online
This would be useful as it would mean players could connect their systems through WiFi Internet rather than with an Ethernet Hub and various Ethernet Cables, since any user can connect online without needing a paid subscription to the service, something that would have been required on at least one account on each Xbox to perform. Obviously, LAN is preferable to avoid bloody lag in a frickin LAN event BUT this would enable gamers with less or no networking experience to host a house party like this with greater ease. More options is always better.The lack of Split-screen, however, makes the hardware ownership requirements staggering in comparison.

To host a 16 player Halo LAN party with PCs, you need:
  • 16x PCs & Laptops (thankfully, most work due to rock bottom 1080p 60fps reqs)
  • 1x to 16x screens, obviously subtracting the # of Laptops that are included
  • 16x Xbox Live accounts with access/ownership to the game either via MSFT Store ownership or a Steam account with ownership (so add on however many people need to log in with their steam accounts to access their game)
  • 16x copies of the Halo game being played (which are tied to accounts, is what it is)
  • 16x reasonably long Ethernet Cables
  • 1x or more Ethernet hubs with at least 16x available Ethernet ports available combined for LAN play
  • 16x mouse & keyboards (even if you plan to use an attached controller, you'll still need to navigate Windows to launch the game/alt tab if it crashes!)
  • 17x to 33x+ available power outlets (depends on # of Laptops as they only require 1 outlet to power both screen & PC...& you will need an additional outlet for each Ethernet hub you have chained together)
  • Controller adapters & batteries all depending on whether some people are using controllers, probably easiest to just keep it to a Bring Your Own Controller rule at that point
  • 1x credit card for PIZZAAAAA
Also, one final fun thing to add to the staggering pile is the added space requirements necessary due to needing so many systems. Xbox consoles with SS thankfully only require basic seating in front of each of the minimum of 4 screens. Having 16 PCs and screens is not only a massive jump in terms of outlet+monitor requirements, but you need enough desk space for them all.
I realize this last bit is a hugely silly 1st World Problem because most Core PC gamers are used to that reality, but Halo could be an excellent PC game that one title that offers the condensed LAN experience to the PC community with reduced hardware+space requirements for such an event.

I know this is already MASSIVELY TL;DR but lemme detail how EASY it would be to host a Halo LAN event is SS was available for PC. In this hypothesis, SplitScreen users could use Guest(#) accounts like you can have on the Xbox versions.

To host a 16 player Halo LAN party with Split-screen Enabled PCs, you need:
  • 4x PCs (Let's just say 4x 18" laptops to show how low you can go)
  • 4x copies of the Halo game being played
  • 4x Xbox Live accounts (minimum) which have game ownership
  • 4x Ethernet Cables
  • 1x Ethernet Hub/Switch with a minimum of 4x available ports.
  • 5x Power outlets (1 per Laptop & 1 per Ethernet hub, obviously up to 4x more would be necessary if separate monitors were being used with desktops)
  • 16x control methods (at least one m+kb per computer & as many controllers+adapters necessary to accommodate everyone)
  • 1x Credit Card for PIZZAAAA
Arranging for the appropriate # of usable controllers per player will always be the main challenge behind these events, but I hope you can see just how much easier that last example could be...you could host an event like that on the fly in a single dining room with a single power strip.

If you read this far, nice! I just wanted to point out the OVERWHELMING contrast in required materials necessary to host a comparable LAN event & the bloody irony of this, as the pitifully low bar set for owning & running the PC version of these games could and should have made hosting these social events painfully easy.
It won't stop me from planning an event this month with many PCs...but the number of variables that need to be faced is a shame.
Haha totally right on point, one of the main reasons we switched over to Halo back in the day is cause it was so much more convenient to get 4x Xboxes together than trying to arrange 16x PCs to play Counterstrike or OG COD. It's a big part of why Halo became the de facto home lan party game. I mean that and the fact that it's an awesome game.

Don't make the only way to play Halo splitscreen on PC be iffy Halo: CE mods or even iffyer emulators.
We need Split screen for pc.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 6
  4. 7
  5. 8
  6. 9
  7. 10
  8. ...
  9. 18