Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Halo: The Master Chief Collection (PC)

@Ske7ch: No Splitscreen for PC [at launch]

OP Auraven2572

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 7
  4. 8
  5. 9
  6. 10
  7. 11
  8. ...
  9. 18
This is just me copy pasting what I wrote on another topic. But worth mentioning anyway.

I agree with the addition of split screen.
I never played Halo due to consoles' paid multiplayer and also due to the fact that I owned a PS3 before ditching consoles for good and coming to PC.To Be Honest, I was really looking forward to this feature, since I really wanted to invite one of my cousins to my house and show him the game. He's a bit of a PS4 user / console peasant, so you're seeing my dillema here. I'd might ending up inviting another one of my cousins and the 3 of us playing on my PC. It's so much fun when you have family members around instead of online, since we can swear and behave like kids in general (even though our ages are way too far from being near a kid's age).
Not looking good for pc splitscreen at the minute, 343 seem to be busying themselves with everything except split screen according to the waypoint post.

https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/news/mcc-development-update-december-2019

While they say split screen is up and running for infinite internally, they don't say for which platform: my guess is then that they mean the one or scarlett, rather than pc (that is unless they give us some clarification on this point).
Not looking good for pc splitscreen at the minute, 343 seem to be busying themselves with everything except split screen according to the waypoint post.

While they say split screen is up and running for infinite internally, they don't say for which platform: my guess is then that they mean the one or scarlett, rather than pc (that is unless they give us some clarification on this point).
Just a small correction there, it's not called Project Scarlett Anymore. It's Xbox Series X

Yeah, I think this means that realistically Halo MCC split screen on PC is dead. What a joke.
If they were going to implement it, it would be now before the rest of the games all get done.
Time to stop following MCC and check back in when Infinite comes out, but my expectations are very low.
Pathetic.
LawrenceSF wrote:

Yeah, I think this means that realistically Halo MCC split screen on PC is dead. What a joke.
If they were going to implement it, it would be now before the rest of the games all get done.
Time to stop following MCC and check back in when Infinite comes out, but my expectations are very low.
Pathetic.
Yep, what a disappointment. I'm honestly considering trying to get the rest of the MCC (since I've already played reach) refunded. I bought the collection in good faith but it doesn't appear to have paid off unfortunately; why should I buy an inferior game to the original releases again? People have already got split screen working for the old pc releases.
Seeing a lot of ultra uninformed comments here (side by side with lots of excellent ones). I'll be brief:

PCs are being used in place of consoles everywhere. I have personally skipped the entire generation of consoles (outside of the Switch) in favor of a PC hooked to my TV. It's the best performance and widest selection of games out there, and lots of people play PC games like this. This exposes PC games to pretty much *exactly* the same kind of games market consoles have enjoyed in the past, including couch coop/competitive. This is not only possible on PC, it is very very common. A quick look at Steam game categories will tell you all you need to know here.

It is amazing to be able to play Halo on my TV with enhanced visuals and blazing framerate with whatever control options I want. It makes console Halo look like an absolute waste of time.

Except without couch multiplayer the single player is completely neutered. Others have defended the split screen for competitive LAN parties and all those arguments are valid. However, LAN parties are more rare and online is more common: This fuels 343s business decision here. But I'll say without couch cooperative, they show themselves poor stewards of the Halo legacy. The idea that they'll publish a "definitive version" of Halo CE that will not allow players to experience how amazing it was to bring a friend along in a Warthog in splitscreen is a crime against the franchise.

Technical arguments don't jive.
  • Local multiplayer is far and away the easiest kind to implement. No replication issues or latency, just track N players, N input devices and render N times. We did this on the goldurn Super Nintendo and the reason it used to dominate console multiplayer was because it is and has always been the easy way out. The best argument against it is renderer complexity but knowing that these games supported it in their original source makes this moot as well. This is crap work from 343.
  • Enable guest accounts. Requiring every local player to have a Live account is ludicrous. Smash Bros on the Switch requires an account to play online, but supports any number of guests for local play, and I don't buy that the politics of this is somehow impossible to get around. What the heck is wrong with you, 343?
I bought MCC and I don't regret it. At the asking price it's a steal. But the Bungie fan in me really despairs here. I won't be able to introduce my wife to couch coop in a game that historically exemplifies it, and that super effing sucks.
I would love to buy the MCC for PC, but lack of commitment to split screen is a big no no, I want to relive this experience with the wife and kids, and buying multiple PCs or giving in and getting an Xbox is just not something I'm willing to do for this experience. I hope there is enough demand.
Decept404 wrote:
I bought MCC and I don't regret it. At the asking price it's a steal. But the Bungie fan in me really despairs here. I won't be able to introduce my wife to couch coop in a game that historically exemplifies it, and that super effing sucks.
Yeah I have MCC and have purchased multiple copies it for my friends, and actually just hosted a 12-player Halo PC LAN party just 3 nights ago and it was a hell of a blast. Everyone having their own PC and playing with mouse + keyboard brought a new level of competitiveness to the game so it's not like it doesn't come without benefits, but I'll admit as the one who hosted it: it's a HELL of a lot harder to network and clean up -.-

I still enjoy the game and personally, it makes sense that things like PC SplitScreen are not considered priorities on the PC platform and for the future of social gaming...so I don't vilify them for this omission...it's more like...
It's just a shame when Halo is a game that is so jam packed with just about anything you could ever want from an accessibility POV, it's just a few features short of being the perfect party game again, so it's just like...I'd really wish to see them take that extra 5 miles and finish those extra awesome features.

The game is clearly also not even done yet, even if it's actually on the list for consideration, many many more important core features are still not present. ie Forge, Theater, additional graphics settings, crossplay, and there's still 5 more games to work on.
Decept404 wrote:
Seeing a lot of ultra uninformed comments here (side by side with lots of excellent ones). I'll be brief:

PCs are being used in place of consoles everywhere. I have personally skipped the entire generation of consoles (outside of the Switch) in favor of a PC hooked to my TV. It's the best performance and widest selection of games out there, and lots of people play PC games like this. This exposes PC games to pretty much *exactly* the same kind of games market consoles have enjoyed in the past, including couch coop/competitive. This is not only possible on PC, it is very very common. A quick look at Steam game categories will tell you all you need to know here.

It is amazing to be able to play Halo on my TV with enhanced visuals and blazing framerate with whatever control options I want. It makes console Halo look like an absolute waste of time.

Except without couch multiplayer the single player is completely neutered. Others have defended the split screen for competitive LAN parties and all those arguments are valid. However, LAN parties are more rare and online is more common: This fuels 343s business decision here. But I'll say without couch cooperative, they show themselves poor stewards of the Halo legacy. The idea that they'll publish a "definitive version" of Halo CE that will not allow players to experience how amazing it was to bring a friend along in a Warthog in splitscreen is a crime against the franchise.

Technical arguments don't jive.
  • Local multiplayer is far and away the easiest kind to implement. No replication issues or latency, just track N players, N input devices and render N times. We did this on the goldurn Super Nintendo and the reason it used to dominate console multiplayer was because it is and has always been the easy way out. The best argument against it is renderer complexity but knowing that these games supported it in their original source makes this moot as well. This is crap work from 343.
  • Enable guest accounts. Requiring every local player to have a Live account is ludicrous. Smash Bros on the Switch requires an account to play online, but supports any number of guests for local play, and I don't buy that the politics of this is somehow impossible to get around. What the heck is wrong with you, 343?
Preach, my dude. My friends and I are happy that we will finally be able to play H1-3 on PC online via a simple steam installation. But it's ****ing tragic that split screen is looking like it's been abandoned.

I used to imagine being able to play Halo on PC couch coop, but looks like that will never be possible. On a superior platform. Even a decade after the original games had split-screen on 2005 hardware. Maybe in 20 years, someone can release the source code of the games so the community can add it in themselves. A man can dream, I thought we'd never have Halo on steam.
I've had halo mcc since launch but only got round to playing it today.
I've been wanting to play all the halo games with my brother who is 10 years my younger and you can't even imagine my disappointment when I loaded up the game and have been unable to launch the campaign in split screen.
Can't believe 343 have not added splitscreen coop for the campaign (I haven't even bothered to check if it's in the multilayer whether online or off), was one of the features that differentiated halo to every other franchise at the time
Damn, was just about to buy the MCC for an NYE party - the idea being we could have a 4 way co-op in the living room - but if it's not supported then that's no sale.
I'd like to see split screen added. That's how I originally found out about halo (and gaming in general) because I went over to a friends house and we played halo split-screen. You could make the argument that 343 just wants to sell more copies, but that ignores the fact that you'll have to have an additional PC just to play together.
Quite frankly, the PC version shipped with a ton of stuff missing. Definitely second class citizens over here on PC, we've been treated as such by Microsoft for a while now.
Can the Xbox split screen on more than one monitor like on PC? Nope. People seem to forget that if you vertically split screen on PC with your monitors acting as one. Each player gets their own screen, virtually perfect ratio and performance while sitting next to each other. Can't believe they did this. On the bright side, they left the door open to modders, so we might see an unofficial version. Just remember to not support the windows store version!
NPSF3000 wrote:
Damn, was just about to buy the MCC for an NYE party - the idea being we could have a 4 way co-op in the living room - but if it's not supported then that's no sale
had a similar experience. Wanted to play halo in splitscreen with my gf, just like in the old days, bought the game just to find out, that there is no split screen. Quite sad I requested a refund on steam.

does anybody know, if the devs are reading this? I saw in the December Update News that there is no mention about split screen at all, not even in the „communitiy requested features“, which is really a shame reading all these comments here...
I was gifted Reach to find out split-screen was missing, I was planning to buy the whole MCC anyway so long as it had split-screen but now I won't be buying the rest of the MCC until they sort this mess out which is a shame because Reach is great. There is zero reason to remove split-screen on PC! this assumption developers have that PC gamers don't, can't or think split-screen is impractical for the PC needs to stop. With split-screen in mind we can do everything consoles can do and more. The PC version and console version are both titled the same so we should expect the same features on both platforms or its false advertising. Its called Feature Parity.

Now I can't chill with my partner on the sofa with controllers and both be able to see what we're doing because I don't have 2 big TV's let alone the space for it! we can't even play together anymore because you selfish developers force PC gamers to buy extra copies to have a similar less convienient experience which is gonna waste twice as much electricity because we need 2 computers on. Not to mention now I can't have friends over to play Halo 4-Player split-screen with, Most of my halo memories have been split-screen and this is a big fu to the PC community and the halo community tbh, its one of the biggest features that made halo such a success. Thanks alot 343! Stop Removing Split-Screen Multiplayer on PC!
I was gifted Reach to find out split-screen was missing, I was planning to buy the whole MCC anyway so long as it had split-screen but now I won't be buying the rest of the MCC until they sort this mess out which is a shame because Reach is great. There is zero reason to remove split-screen on PC! this assumption developers have that PC gamers don't, can't or think split-screen is impractical for the PC needs to stop. With split-screen in mind we can do everything consoles can do and more. The PC version and console version are both titled the same so we should expect the same features on both platforms or its false advertising. Its called Feature Parity.Now I can't chill with my partner on the sofa with controllers and both be able to see what we're doing because I don't have 2 big TV's let alone the space for it! we can't even play together anymore because you selfish developers force PC gamers to buy extra copies to have a similar less convienient experience which is gonna waste twice as much electricity because we need 2 computers on. Not to mention now I can't have friends over to play Halo 4-Player split-screen with, Most of my halo memories have been split-screen and this is a big fu to the PC community and the halo community tbh, its one of the biggest features that made halo such a success. Thanks alot 343! Stop Removing Split-Screen Multiplayer on PC!
I agree
Looking through the unlockable avatars in the game, I found one unlocked by "Halo: CE: Play a CTF custom game on Blood Gulch with 4 players on the same console."

I know it's impossible to unlock due to the lack of Halo: CE for now, but if the game never gets split screen, certain items won't even be unlockable. I know it's just an avatar, but this is yet another reason removing split screen is a negative thing.
Another round of updates patches and transparency, and no word on Split Screen. C'mon 343; if you're just not gonna do it, just put us out of our misery already. It's not in their active developments or backlog, and since online co-op lag fixes is "out of their scope currently" I think we can put the coffin in the nail for split screen.
Who the hell wants splitscreen on PC??? There are 20 better things to do for 343.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 7
  4. 8
  5. 9
  6. 10
  7. 11
  8. ...
  9. 18