Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Halo: The Master Chief Collection (PC)

[Locked] Split-Screen Sunday! #1

OP BaIIisticTurtle

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3
Hey everyone, I'm BaIIsticTurtle!

After learning about Ske7ch's surprise to hear that people want split-screen support on PC at all, and after noticing that there are a lot of posts on this site supporting the addition of split-screen, I've decided to do a little something about it. Starting today, I will be making a post here every Sunday until split-screen is added, so we can show our continued support for the addition of split-screen in the Halo titles as they make their way on to PC.

Now I'm aware that Ske7ch also said split-screen will not be supported "at launch", and how that could be seen as implying that it will be added later. That quote is actually a large part of why I've decided to do this. If there's any chance of split-screen being added, but the devs are unsure whether or not we really want it, I feel it's important to we show them that we do!

Please feel free to share your support for the addition of split-screen for Halo on PC, or your favorite split-screen moments and memories, in the comments below! Also be sure to head over to Twitter and let Ske7ch, the 343 team, and everyone else know that you want to play Halo in split-screen on PC!

As a general reminder: Be sure to catch the Microsoft panel at E3 later today at 4PM EST (1PM PST) on your favorite streaming platform for information on Halo: Infinite, and hopefully for some info on the upcoming Halo: Reach flights coming to Xbox One and PC.

See you next week!

EDIT: I have obviously not been posting a new "Split-Screen Sunday" every week. Apparently, wanting to make a single post a week on a relatively dead forum is considered spam by the people who moderate these forums. Because that's totally how forums work, right? Googling some of their names shows that the staff here has been an issue for years, and I hold out no hope that it will change any time soon. I wish you all the best of luck and hope to see you in-game! Split-Screen forever!
Starting today, I will be making a post here every Sunday until split-screen is added
While it's cool to share opinions, wishes and feedback here, I'm going to say please don't do this. By all means keep this topic open for discussion, but making the same topic every week isn't necessary.
stckrboy wrote:
Starting today, I will be making a post here every Sunday until split-screen is added
While it's cool to share opinions, wishes and feedback here, I'm going to say please don't do this. By all means keep this topic open for discussion, but making the same topic every week isn't necessary.
I'm sorry you feel that way. Considering the topic often comes up multiple times a week already, and isn't removed by the mods, I assumed making a singular post a week about it wouldn't be an issue. I kind of thought it would be encouraged, considering the relative quietness of these forums overall.

I'd be interested in hearing the rest of the staffs thoughts about 1-post-a-week being too much. Feel free to respond here or message me directly if you'd like to discuss it further.
I'd be interested in hearing the rest of the staffs thoughts
The rest of the staffs thoughts are the same
stckrboy wrote:
The rest of the staffs thoughts are the same
Cool, then you can all refrain from participating in the posts. I look forward to seeing you in next weeks Split-Screen Sunday! 😉

Nope. That's spam and you will be moderated as such.
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not repost content a moderator has removed, repost a topic that has been locked, or post about forum moderation decisions. If you have a question or concern about a forum moderation decision, please private message the applicable moderator.
*Original post. Click at your own discretion.
Spoiler:
Show
Snickerdoodle, big lulz.

Also, split screen is neat.
I can't forget playing CE and 2 on the original xbox with my best friend when we were both 7. Especially that day when we first found the flood on 343 guilty spark, we were so scared we quit the mission. That way we went into multiplayer for the first time. We still couldn't get the flood out of our heads, the empty and eerie maps made us feel like something could jumpscare us at any time. Those portals on ChironTL 34... we screamed each time either of us appeared. This memory is a treasure for me. Without splitscreen, Halo is not Halo.
Hearing 343 say they'll "investigate split-screen" on PC post-launch is very concerning. It means it's not a guarantee, on a 9 year old game. Given that Splash Damage, now working on MCC, was able to make Gears of War 4 PC have split-screen, this would be outright ridiculous.

This is depressing, as a guy who grew up playing Halo with friends on a couch. Why can't we do the same with a PC connected to a TV? Why must the pc port to a 9 year old game be lacking in a core feature that the 2005 console version has?

If split-screen ends up not being included, it means PC players will never be able to game together on the same couch. I hope 343 and Splash Damage won't let us down but I'm not feeling too optimistic about this.
The best thing to do right now is to clearly show 343 and Splash Damage that split screen is a must for PC. They may not be able to get it in for launch, but I think people would be pleased to see it implemented shortly after launch.
I have no friends so tell 343 it doesn't matter to me. I dont need split screen.
TextRip wrote:
I have no friends so tell 343 it doesn't matter to me. I dont need split screen.
You don't need it, but many people here does have friends and want to experience again the joy of playing with them or with new people that want to give the franchise a try
Split Screen is a crucial part of Halo and always has been. This needs to be in the pc version. I want my gf to be able to experience halo without me having to lug my xbone over to her house. This could be an opportunity to revamp the whole split screen system as well. obviously they could just split the resolution and do whatever they do on console, but they could also add some sweet custom setting options for split screen so that we can tweak it to make it run perfectly. I’m willing to wait until after launch but ske7ch asked us to display interest so they’d put it in and that’s what I’m going to do.
Split Screen is what made Halo Multiplayer big back in H1,H2 and H3 days. However, I personally don't think it's a MUST for PC. How often are people going to use 1 monitor with separate keyboards + mouse + mouse pads to play vs. each other? Sure add it for those that enjoy playing together at home like the old school couch-multiplayer days and provide controller compatibility if split screen will be a feature.
You might be new to forums. It doesn't really work like other sites such as Reddit where topics disappear over time and you post new ones with updated info or relevancy. Replies to a post will bump it back to the front page and you can easily update the thread with new info and add it to the original post with the edit function. A thread topic generally stays within 1 thread and a new one isn't made unless:

A) The post limit is hit so a new thread has to be made to continue discussion.

B) The topic dies and a new thread is made a long time after where the original is highly outdated/to avoid necromancing. (On a different note I feel this seriously needs to happen to the Sangheili thread soon since the OP is so outdated and there's nearly 900 pages of fairly pointless, outdated discussion about 4 and 5.)
Split Screen is what made Halo Multiplayer big back in H1,H2 and H3 days. However, I personally don't think it's a MUST for PC. How often are people going to use 1 monitor with separate keyboards + mouse + mouse pads to play vs. each other? Sure add it for those that enjoy playing together at home like the old school couch-multiplayer days and provide controller compatibility if split screen will be a feature.
Lol I doubt anyone is going to be using multiple keyboards and mice for splitscreen. You’d be surprised by how many people already do a fair bit of split screen gaming on their pcs though. Like Duck Game and that kinda stuff is fun as heck and fairly popular, but being able to whip out some halo would be a whole other level of awesome
Why do people keep presuming that people who share their pc with others play split screen with multiple keyboards and mice? We use gamepads.
Why do people keep presuming that people who share their pc with others play split screen with multiple keyboards and mice? We use gamepads.
Lol urite. I guess they’ve just never played a local multiplayer game on their pc before.
You have my axe friend! No split-screen or cross play at launch has really tempered my excitement, I love playing on the couch with my friends, and I would love to at least play with my friends who own an Xbox, one or the other would have been cool. I find split-screen to be an integral part of Halo, and after that commotion that Halo 5 not having split screen brought I thought 343 realized this.

I truly think split-screen on PC is much more popular than sketch and other staff members realize, maybe they are on the older side? Nowadays everyone I know hooks up some xbox controller to there PC for some couch Rocket League or emulation. Maybe I just have weird friends. But I would love to see a poll on how many people would use split screen. I think it would surprise most people that think PC split-screen is niche. PC is just another console to us folks these days, and I like to play my consoles with my friends...
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3