Forums / Games / Halo: The Master Chief Collection (PC)

Steam Workshop content being voted into the Game

OP TFClassicSteam

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
Something that would be an awesome little addition for the upcoming release later on after it's been fully ported over, is a system that has been used in one of my other favorite titles: TF2!

Valve would pick and choose from community-made cosmetics and such to be added in officially in updates in the past, so that got me thinking....

What if 343 were to do the same for community-made Armor and Armor Effects, Vehicles and Weapons, even Maps for CE, 2 and 2A to be added into the unlocks and matchmaking officially Reach, 2A and 3/4... Even new ODST Firefight characters too!

It'd keep the community engaged and further help bolster the lifespan of these games, while also showing off just how awesome this creative community can be, especially those heroes working on Halo Custom Edition to this very day, giving them the recognition they deserve!

Your thoughts?

(A 2fort remake in CE's engine would be soooo awesome for CTF too...)
Also, as a separate topic that's related to this, which Armor sets would you want to see ported into Reach, 2A, 3, ODST, and even 4?

(Hopefully I'm not breaking any rules by posting like this, I'm more used to using the Steam forums.)
I think that would be a pretty awesome idea, although from what I remember DLC armors have never been implemented before H4 due to technical reasons. I am no expert so take my explanation with a grain of salt, but in order to add DLC cosmetics they would need to add the new armor files to every map in the game. Essentially you would have to re-download the whole game with the newly added files to all sections of the game that would require them. For players with faster internet and tons of storage this probably won't be more than just an occasional pain, but I would figure most folks don't have the internet speed or storage to contend with re-downloading what could be over 50 GBs of data for a handful of new armor sets.

Interestingly enough Halo 4 also suffered from this same issue, but I remember reading that 343's solution was pretty creative. To load in new armor sets on pre-existing maps 343 created a new "dummy" map that would load in simultaneously whenever a game started on a legacy map. This dummy map contained within it all the new data necessary to display the content. Again I am no expert on game development and deployment, but I can imagine that his trick can be really taxing on performance considering that an additional map is loaded in every match. This is probably the reason why the DLC armors were omitted from the MCC due to map loading complexities.
I think that would be a pretty awesome idea, although from what I remember DLC armors have never been implemented before H4 due to technical reasons. I am no expert so take my explanation with a grain of salt, but in order to add DLC cosmetics they would need to add the new armor files to every map in the game. Essentially you would have to re-download the whole game with the newly added files to all sections of the game that would require them. For players with faster internet and tons of storage this probably won't be more than just an occasional pain, but I would figure most folks don't have the internet speed or storage to contend with re-downloading what could be over 50 GBs of data for a handful of new armor sets.

Interestingly enough Halo 4 also suffered from this same issue, but I remember reading that 343's solution was pretty creative. To load in new armor sets on pre-existing maps 343 created a new "dummy" map that would load in simultaneously whenever a game started on a legacy map. This dummy map contained within it all the new data necessary to display the content. Again I am no expert on game development and deployment, but I can imagine that his trick can be really taxing on performance considering that an additional map is loaded in every match. This is probably the reason why the DLC armors were omitted from the MCC due to map loading complexities.
Considering this is a PC release though, and seeing how much quicker and easier it is to update a Steam title rather than an Xbox title, perhaps there could be ways to work it out over time, then ship the final working version over to the Xbox MCC as well?

(Not to mention the community of Modders also could help work on figuring this out, and share their findings with 343 as well, something never possible before!)

Also, Armors aside, how about new Maps for 2A and CE? That shouldn't be as hard, seeing how they added a free DLC map to the Xbox version before for 2A already.
I think it would be cool to have developer approved/improved/implemented content (to ensure compatibility, stability, etc.) created by the community, that would be possibly also available to console players.
I think it would be cool to have developer approved/improved/implemented content (to ensure compatibility, stability, etc.) created by the community, that would be possibly also available to console players.
And another thing that could happen similar to TF2, the PC players could directly help assist 343 in fixing any issues unlike the Xbox version, aiding them in finding exploits or helping them get certain features to function properly!
snip
Considering this is a PC release though, and seeing how much quicker and easier it is to update a Steam title rather than an Xbox title, perhaps there could be ways to work it out over time, then ship the final working version over to the Xbox MCC as well?

(Not to mention the community of Modders also could help work on figuring this out, and share their findings with 343 as well, something never possible before!)

Also, Armors aside, how about new Maps for 2A and CE? That shouldn't be as hard, seeing how they added a free DLC map to the Xbox version before for 2A already.
DLC armor will most likely still be issue on PC. It has to do with how the engine loads in maps data in multiplayer, which is not something that the PC version will do differently. 343 found a solution with H4 although it appears this workaround was not brought to the MCC as the DLC armors and skins are not present. It could be possible that official mod support and collaboration with the community could create an efficient solution, but I have my doubts.

Maps should be easy to add, as you have said every title except Halo CE has done DLC maps. Although it would be awesome to see the custom edition support for Halo CE to add in all the fan made maps.
As much as I like the idea, I feel like voting on new content through steam would be kinda unfair to console players. If it's gonna be done, it should probably be done on a server shared between the two platforms.
Kawandroid wrote:
As much as I like the idea, I feel like voting on new content through steam would be kinda unfair to console players. If it's gonna be done, it should probably be done on a server shared between the two platforms.
I mean all they literally would have to do is log into Waypoint too, the voting sessions don't have to be on Steam alone.
I'll comment in support for the idea. I like it.
Kawandroid wrote:
I mean all they literally would have to do is log into Waypoint too, the voting sessions don't have to be on Steam alone.
Idk. Sounds like kinda a pain tacking the workshop onto that when you can just do it all through waypoint.
I think they have in mind mod support due to the help from the El Dewrito team. The community on PC is going to provide a lot of content for 343 to put into consideration.
Kawandroid wrote:
Kawandroid wrote:
Idk. Sounds like kinda a pain tacking the workshop onto that when you can just do it all through waypoint.
That's where the majority of the Steam community would go to though, Waypoint is more for the dedicated Halo players and Xbox users instead.
Kawandroid wrote:
Kawandroid wrote:
That's where the majority of the Steam community would go to though, Waypoint is more for the dedicated Halo players and Xbox users instead.
Majority? I played a lot of TF2, but I never spent more than a couple minutes collectively on the workshop.
People who are interested will flock to it so long as you tell them it exists and where to go. 343 could just put a menu option in game in a place they'd see it.
Kawandroid wrote:
Kawandroid wrote:
Kawandroid wrote:
Majority? I played a lot of TF2, but I never spent more than a couple minutes collectively on the workshop.
People who are interested will flock to it so long as you tell them it exists and where to go. 343 could just put a menu option in game in a place they'd see it.
I meant mainly the Steam playerbase would stick to Steam to vote, but a pop-up menu in the MCC would be fine as well, I just would think that 343 would like to keep things simple though.
Something that would be an awesome little addition for the upcoming release later on after it's been fully ported over, is a system that has been used in one of my other favorite titles: TF2!

Valve would pick and choose from community-made cosmetics and such to be added in officially in updates in the past, so that got me thinking....

What if 343 were to do the same for community-made Armor and Armor Effects, Vehicles and Weapons, even Maps for CE, 2 and 2A to be added into the unlocks and matchmaking officially Reach, 2A and 3/4... Even new ODST Firefight characters too!

It'd keep the community engaged and further help bolster the lifespan of these games, while also showing off just how awesome this creative community can be, especially those heroes working on Halo Custom Edition to this very day, giving them the recognition they deserve!

Your thoughts?

There will be a modding scene for MCC, as stated in the AMA on Reddit, it will likely be a couple of months post-launch so I'd hold your horses for a second, model ports will probably be a thing but most of it will be forge maps etc.
I would love to see the workshop used for custom game modes and custom maps as its a good use of pre-existing community. As far as using it for mods, as long as its well regulated so that mods where only are allowed in custom and couldn't be exploited into multi, I can see it expanding the life of the community by years.
WaspyEthan wrote:
I would love to see the workshop used for custom game modes and custom maps as its a good use of pre-existing community. As far as using it for mods, as long as its well regulated so that mods where only are allowed in custom and couldn't be exploited into multi, I can see it expanding the life of the community by years.
Who knows, maybe modded Halo will become the next Garry's mod? Even though it's unlikely, I still feel like it will be great for players and make the devs a bit more relaxed as the player-base is providing content for them.
Yeah and garrys mod is a great example of mods expending the life of a game way past what the devs originally thought. Custom games already are pretty great , mods could only make it better. Who knows, maybe they will even release a kit

Your thoughts?

There will be a modding scene for MCC, as stated in the AMA on Reddit, it will likely be a couple of months post-launch so I'd hold your horses for a second, model ports will probably be a thing but most of it will be forge maps etc.
CE maps aren't Forge creations, and I don't think that's the kind of quality people on the workshop would expect from custom maps, considering loads of other games have fanmade maps rivaling the developer-made ones...
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2