Forums / Games / Halo: The Master Chief Collection (PC)

Technically MCC CE on PC will be a tripple port

OP ENDgie

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
Halo:CE has gone through crazy amounts of porting when you think about it. MCC PC CE is being ported from Anniversary/MCC CE which is ported from the Gearbox PC port of CE which was ported from the original Xbox CE...
deleted message
AlaTin wrote:
Similar thing with Halo 2. Halo 2 MCC PC could be a port from Halo 2 MCC which is a port of Halo 2 vista which is a port from original Halo 2.
Was 2 anniversary ported from vista? Guess it would make sense since the xbox versions used a similar engine so if they weren't willing to port one from xbox why the other I guess.
I'm wondering if there will be any kind of discount for those who still have the original PC ports. I'm guessing not, but tweeted Ske7ch about it anyway.

https://twitter.com/Chukthedukslayr/status/1123987448458031105
I'm wondering if there will be any kind of discount for those who still have the original PC ports. I'm guessing not, but tweeted Ske7ch about it anyway.

https://twitter.com/Chukthedukslayr/status/1123987448458031105
Well for one those that owned the original xbox versions didn't get a discount on the original mcc and these aren't just ports. halo one and 2 in the mcc are remasters with new models, textures, lighting, cutscenes, etc.
ENDgie wrote:
Halo:CE has gone through crazy amounts of porting when you think about it. MCC PC CE is being ported from Anniversary/MCC CE which is ported from the Gearbox PC port of CE which was ported from the original Xbox CE...
Halo Anniversary being originally an Xbox 360 release right?
BovinoSLB wrote:
ENDgie wrote:
Yeah, though considering nothing changed between anniversary's standalone appearance on 360 and it in mcc on xbox one I consider it one port total. Like when 360 games are made backwards compatible for xbox one, there is some small work involved but they aren't considered ports and you can even use the original disk.
ENDgie wrote:
BovinoSLB wrote:
ENDgie wrote:
Yeah, though considering nothing changed between anniversary's standalone appearance on 360 and it in mcc on xbox one I consider it one port total. Like when 360 games are made backwards compatible for xbox one, there is some small work involved but they aren't considered ports and you can even use the original disk.
That makes it even more weird. So it's a port of a port that is running on compatibility mode.

As a sidenote, the original Halo CE PC is considered broken. A "fixed" version exists on the Custom Editon branch which is derived from the PC release.

No wonder they never made a Halo 2 Custom Edition!
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not discuss/share modifying or hacking content on an Xbox console or PC.
*Original post. Click at your own discretion.
Spoiler:
Show
ENDgie wrote:
BovinoSLB wrote:
ENDgie wrote:
BovinoSLB wrote:
ENDgie wrote:
That makes it even more weird. So it's a port of a port that is running on compatibility mode.

As a sidenote, the original Halo CE PC is considered broken. A "fixed" version exists on the Custom Editon branch which is derived from the PC release.

Custom Edition itself is a semi-official product that Gearbox released to fulfill their promise of an editing kit after the original PC port came out (they had to modify the game in some way to allow for custom maps, plus they couldn't fit it on the retail CD). But thats where most of the community fixes are being made.
BovinoSLB wrote:
ENDgie wrote:
BovinoSLB wrote:
ENDgie wrote:

Actually, the reason for there not being a Halo 2 Custom Edition is because when Halo 2 was ported to the PC in 2007, its editing kit was kneecapped and stripped of so many components to the point that it couldn't do half of the things that Gearbox's release of Halo CE could do, and the documentation that was included for things like setting up dedicated servers was so vague as to be completely useless. The officially released H2EK was pretty much a shadow of the original Custom Edition's HEK that pretty much no one outside of the dedicated modding community even touches it, and even then the population is minuscule in comparison to Halo CE's modding population. And H2EK wasn't released by a third party, it was released by Microsoft themselves through a small internal team that was eventually dissolved a short time after Halo 2 Vista's release, so the players and modders have pretty much had to navigate blindly and create their own documentation for how to use and do pretty much ANYTHING. That's why there's no official Halo 2 Custom Edition. Microsoft's aggressive push for DRM requirements was also part of the reason, as well as the fact that Halo Vista could only be activated 3 times per machine, unlike Halo CE which could be uninstalled and reinstalled an unlimited number of times on any machine as long as you had a valid product key.

Also, the fixed version of the Halo CE PC port is called the Refined version, but you need custom edition to play it, so whip out that Halo 1 PC product key and install that game!
ENDgie wrote:
AlaTin wrote:
Similar thing with Halo 2. Halo 2 MCC PC could be a port from Halo 2 MCC which is a port of Halo 2 vista which is a port from original Halo 2.
Was 2 anniversary ported from vista? Guess it would make sense since the xbox versions used a similar engine so if they weren't willing to port one from xbox why the other I guess.
Yeah H2 MCC is H2V ported. H2 MCC now is in a better state than H2V was but they still share some common quirks.
ENDgie wrote:
BovinoSLB wrote:
ENDgie wrote:
The MCC version of Halo CEA is definitely a port of the Xbox 360 version. Nothing might have fundamentally changed appearance wise, but the game has still been ported to run natively on Xbox One hardware. This is in contrast to backwards compatible Xbox 360 games, which just run on an Xbox 360 emulator.
Some of us are still waiting for CE and H2 to be properly ported for the first time :)
Man I remember when CE was ported to PC and it FLOODED my middle school and high school desktops. We would have little tournaments in the library or the computer lab. Super excited to see it be properly done though.
It worries me. In the porting process, the game has been corrupted. Filled with mistakes that originally didn't exist. Here, I made a post about. I hope this time 343 finally restore this classic masterpiece, so we no longer misremember itas something it never was.
It worries me. In the porting process, the game has been corrupted. Filled with mistakes that originally didn't exist. Here, I made a post about. I hope this time 343 finally restore this classic masterpiece, so we no longer misremember itas something it never was.
Well at the very least map changes from the original pc port will be what pc players remember when mcc comes to us. ;)
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not discuss/share modifying or hacking content on an Xbox console or PC.
*Original post. Click at your own discretion.
Spoiler:
Show
I wonder if the PC versions of Halo CE and 2 are used as reference during the testing phase for devs or are they strictly working off of the Xbox version of the MCC.
AlaTin wrote:
Lmao imagine the absolute mess of code running under the hood

##DO NOT DELETE THIS CODE
##WONT RUN WITHOUT IT\
##DONT KNOW WHY

Last edited March 6th 2004
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2