Forums / Games / Halo: The Master Chief Collection (PC)

The impact of no server browser

OP G1 I Sideswipe

Since Reach is right around the corner and there isn't a server browser yet (custom games browser is still being worked on) how much would this impact MCC's launch on PC? Server browsers are a staple of PC gaming and I dont think a "Invite to all friends" is gonna cut it. What do you guys think?
I think the game will do fine without it, although I hope it does come eventually. I don't see how absence of a custom game browser will necessarily tank the game on PC.
I think the first few months people would be playing on the dedicated servers to rank up and stuff, so i think it'll be enough time to bring in a server browser
TomCat025 wrote:
I think the game will do fine without it, although I hope it does come eventually. I don't see how absence of a custom game browser will necessarily tank the game on PC.
True, I bring this up because PC MCC will bring alot of newcomers who'll expect things like this. I hope this won't impact much too.
A Halo game not having its traditional features will not do well on launch, unfortunately. People act like a few months isn't a long time, but it is for gamers!
Server browsers are becoming less common in PC gaming anyways, so I wouldn't necessarily call it a 'staple of PC gaming'. But is desirable for custom games.

I'm not really that bothered if Reach releases without a server browser. As long as they don't take as long as Halo 5, I think we'll be alright. I'm going to be spending time doing the Campaign.

Since Reach's multiplayer will be provided by Xbox Live. The best thing you can currently do is follow people that you know host custom games so you can join them.
Dynamiquel wrote:
Server browsers are becoming less common in PC gaming anyways, so I wouldn't necessarily call it a 'staple of PC gaming'. But is desirable for custom games.

I'm not really that bothered if Reach releases without a server browser. As long as they don't take as long as Halo 5, I think we'll be alright. I'm going to be spending time doing the Campaign.

Since Reach's multiplayer will be provided by Xbox Live. The best thing you can currently do is follow people that you know host custom games so you can join them.
I agree with you on being unbothered by not having a server browser at launch, but it's something that others will expect to be there. Hopefully it won't cause any issues for anyone not having one right away.
Dynamiquel wrote:

I agree with you on being unbothered by not having a server browser at launch, but it's something that others will expect to be there. Hopefully it won't cause any issues for anyone not having one right away.
As others have mentioned I will not be bothered if it's not there at launch but with that said, I'd expect something of the sort implemented post-release fairly quick afterwards especially for newcomers to the franchise and to further grow the player base in keeping people around playing.
As long as it eventually comes I'll live. Having no server browser ever would be horrible though, my memory of Halo CE is too strong to forget pulling up a list of servers and joining a comfy 24/7 Blood Gulch/Sidewinder/Timberland. I've never had the relaxed Friday night vibes from newer fps as I used to from Halo, Quake, Counter-strike, etc... People were chummy. I'm hoping to see them again on MCC.

To add to that, I've stuck with Quake Champions for the 3 years it's existed to get my arena fps fix, and one thing the devs promised was a server browser that never came. That loss completely snuffed out the niche community which is currently in ruins across various pockets of the internet now. Not saying Halo would just die off without one, but it sure would hurt it in the long run. Server browser = Community