Forums / Games / Halo: The Master Chief Collection (PC)

The purchase options are slightly concerning

OP Red Devil Saul

For those who don't know, in yesterday's MCC PC related AMA it was stated that we would have the option to purchase the individual games as they release, or alternatively wait until the final release and purchase the MCC as a bundle. It was also explicitly stated that there would be no option to purchase the bundle from the outset.

This raises a couple of issues. Primarily I believe this has the potential to fragment the community. Naturally some games will be more popular than others, and with a flexible purchase scheme it is feasible that some games won't see the full player base. For instance, I absolutely love Halo Reach, but for some it and Halo 3 ODST pale in comparison to the series' main entries. Halo Reach will likely see large sales as it is the first to come onto PC, yet it may also become victim to "wait and see" customers, but Halo 3 ODST and Halo 4 could succumb to the larger issue. There is of course nothing wrong with waiting, and likewise even owners of a game purchased in a bundle may not be inclined to play a title they don't favour; yet in this instance a bundle would still likely see more consistent numbers across titles.

I also say this is concerning as I believe it doesn't serve the community or the game - arguably the two most important factors when deciding the purchase options. Although no pricing structure has been announced, I would speculate that the bundle will cost less than the sum of its parts. Even if, for instance, the individual products have a consistent price structure, the bundle will likely be marginally cheaper and would perhaps launch with a 10% discount. This incentivises players to wait until the product is fully released, and as such, polished, before making a purchase. For 343 this is preferable as they are less likely to receive negative feedback on a completed product. Furthermore, it should be accepted that whilst 343 appear to be committed to making a fantastic product, it is likely there will be some initials bumps in the form of bugs etc. Those who purchase incrementally are drawing the short straw in terms of quality, and likely price. Sadly, this purchasing structure serves only to benefit 343 whilst potentially harming the players and the games.

One way to rectify this, as I sincerely hope happens, would be to follow a similar model to Telltale games' series. This would see the MCC release as a single unit purchasable as such from the start. As each game is developed, they would unlock on the MCC menu and become available for play. This does nothing additional to put pressure on the developer in terms of a time frame, whilst also achieving consistent availability of games, and offering a fair pricing strategy to all players.
Agreed. In my opinion there should be a package option from the very beginning. Just like MCC on Xbox One was the one package.
Doesn't MMC matchmaking allow you to matchmake for certain games and modes, or all of them, at the same time? If people gravitate towards certain games and modes, they're going to do so, no matter how they're released on PC.

It's what 343I calls a "Match Composer".

I do agree with your second point. When Reach comes out, they should offer the whole package at a discount as well.
Let's say Reach (and other releases in the future) is sold for 10-15 euros/bucks. I'd say a reasonable price for the whole MCC would be 50-60 euros/bucks, respectively.
One way to rectify this, as I sincerely hope happens, would be to follow a similar model to Telltale games' series. This would see the MCC release as a single unit purchasable as such from the start. As each game is developed, they would unlock on the MCC menu and become available for play. This does nothing additional to put pressure on the developer in terms of a time frame, whilst also achieving consistent availability of games, and offering a fair pricing strategy to all players.
It's important I Think ...

And an important point. I don't want to choose a game to play. I want to launch a Matchmaking and play on a random game ...

And, an another question ... The player how have Halo Reach (for exemple) and the player how have MCC, can play on the same custom lobby ?