Forums / Games / Halo: The Master Chief Collection (PC)

Vehicles useless? Or just bad drivers?

OP SkiddyBard317

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
It's both. Because of how DMRs wreck vehicles they are not taken seriously and actually favored by bad players. You also aren't able to get much experience using them as they get torn to shreds so quickly.
I agree
Ive seen some really bad drivers that get you killed in the first 10 seconds of the match
But I've also seen some amazing drivers ( and pilotes) that actually think where do trive , take cover when one of our shields are down and that actually slo down to help the gunner to aim better and get the kill
Vehicles are only worthless because everyone starts with a perfectly capable anti-everything-including-vehicles gun in their hands. This issue relates to: https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/forums/f3681fbc78fa43878c4aec9a63a46224/topics/the-dmr-start-problem/52490a4f-b2b7-468c-8e76-57e1f2d825d0/posts
Reach had a hot garbage vehicle health system, which combined with the accuracy now provided by KB+M and the fact that the DMR is a very overtuned weapon, means that any vehicle lighter than an MBT gets shredded by a hail of DMR fire before it can do anything meaningful.

In previous halo games, vehicles themselves took almost no damage from anything short of a power weapon. Shooting a vehicle did hurt the driver though, and if the driver died, vehicle went boom. It took a huge amount of shots to actually destroy a vehicle without killing the driver, and vehicles generally only blew up because the driver had been in for a long -Yoink- time and had taken a lot of fire over a long period of time. Even in H2, killing a Banshee with a battle rifle would take more than the maximum ammo count of the BR, simply because vehicle health itself was massive.

Reach changed this, and vehicles take decent damage from most weapons. The DMR especially deals huge damage to light vehicles (I believe it's just 21 shots to kill a Ghost?).

The only real way to fix this now is to remove DMR starts from Big Team, unless 343 feels like patching Reach, which I think is unlikely.
I agree that DMR starts ruin vehicles. If nothing else, spam from that gun makes most useless.

But I will say this, M/Kb controls for vehicles are good except for the scorpion which is hot garbage. But it does take some getting used to, drive around for a bit in campaign and firefight, get used to pushing m2 to do breaks and drifts in the warthog, etc. And they react really good with a bit of time put into it.

A warthog is only as good as it's driver/gunner coordination.
It is very difficult to do well in Halo Reach as warthog gunner due to how easily you can be headshot out. Banshees and wraiths should be your go-to vehicles. Warthogs haven't been viable offensively since late Halo 3 (bar the gaus hog).
Although you see a lot of complaints about aim-assist for controller, nobody is trying to argue that controllers maintain any advantage at far ranges. I definitely feel more vulnerable as a driver/gunner knowing there are m+kb users about. All of which come with a DMR as standard.

The usefulness of vehicles for combat plummets against good opponents. If they have cover or a friend the fight is either gong to be too long or too dangerous. I reckon that's part of the reason why nobody is petitioning to have them properly balanced for high-end competitive play, instead opting to play maps/modes that don't contain them.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2