Forums / Games / Halo: The Master Chief Collection (PC)

What do you miss from Halo Reach?

OP Fruit Killer67

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3
The armor customization. While everything else about this game was a step down from Halo 3, Reach easily had the best customization system in the series to date. So many options, and most of them were really good looking too. I really hope Infinite armor customization has a similar depth and variety.
Oh come on. I know it's "cool" to idolize Halo 3 and hate on Reach, but this simply isn't true. Really, EVERYTHING ELSE was a step down?

Forge in Halo Reach was miles better than Halo 3. So were custom game options. Firefight wasn't even in Halo 3. And we got Invasion in multiplayer too, which is still the most unique game mode in the series. There was also better weapon variety in Reach as well with the addition of the Grenade Launcher, Focus Rifle and Plasma Launcher.

We can all agree that Halo 3 is the pinnacle of the series but the idea that Reach didn't add anything besides customization is unfair.
I would definitely not call Halo 3 the pinnacle of the series. It too was a step down from Halo 2, but not anything close to the step down Reach was. Halo 1 is still king, followed very closely by Halo 2. I’ll give you that Forge was improved from Halo 3. Firefight? It gave more customization compared to ODST, but not the same challenge ODST’s was. Being a Spartan with shields and having unlimited ammo drops reduced the difficulty and made it not quite as memorable and challenging. Invasion is a fun game mode. Nice for casual play. But the core multiplayer experience we’ve had in all Halos? Significant step down from 3.
If we're talking about multiplayer, I would strongly disagree that Halo:CE was the pinnacle of Halo. The BR is a superior primary weapon the pistol and the maps on Halo 2 were far batter than CE (CE maps were still great though). Additionally, Halo 2 added brute weapons which were novel and balanced. I would therefore argue Halo 2 was the pinnacle of Halo. I think Halo 3 made some good and not so good additions, but all in all it was still Halo and still an amazing game. It was a small step down from Halo 2, though I would say the maps and overall gameplay was on par with CE.
Custom games are easily my fondest memories of 3 and Reach. It may be nostalgia talking but I haven't found many games that offer the cozy fun of making a cup of tea, getting a group of friends together and settling down for a few hours of Fat Kid, Avalanche, Jenga, Cops and Robbers etc.
The armor customization. While everything else about this game was a step down from Halo 3, Reach easily had the best customization system in the series to date. So many options, and most of them were really good looking too. I really hope Infinite armor customization has a similar depth and variety.
Oh come on. I know it's "cool" to idolize Halo 3 and hate on Reach, but this simply isn't true. Really, EVERYTHING ELSE was a step down?

Forge in Halo Reach was miles better than Halo 3. So were custom game options. Firefight wasn't even in Halo 3. And we got Invasion in multiplayer too, which is still the most unique game mode in the series. There was also better weapon variety in Reach as well with the addition of the Grenade Launcher, Focus Rifle and Plasma Launcher.

We can all agree that Halo 3 is the pinnacle of the series but the idea that Reach didn't add anything besides customization is unfair.
The replay value of a game comes from multiplayer. In that aspect, compared to its predecessors, Reach is a joke. I could write a book as to why Reach was terrible for multiplayer. Thankfully 343 are releasing the game in its TU form, which attempts to address many of the issues. Unfortunately, some issues simply can't be resolved through patches; the game is just fundamentally flawed. The DMR as a primary weapon is horrid (BR > Pistol >>> DMR) and the maps are the worst in any series (perhaps with the exception of H4). I'll be playing ZBNS, so my issues end there, but other playlists have more numerous issues (AAs, bloom, etc.) on top of the ones mentioned above.
FaLzY X wrote:
Honestly, I miss the dmr with bloom
I know everyone hated it for some reason, but if you knew how to use it, you could dominate other players...
Yeah, I was ok with bloom, as long as it was only on single-shot weapons, preferably ballistics only, like the DMR. ARs and plasma weapons should naturally be a bit inaccurate in nature, but the DMR and Battle rifle even should be fired carefully, and not just spammed. Now the DMR is so strong and can be spammed to death.

The replay value of a game comes from multiplayer. In that aspect, compared to its predecessors, Reach is a joke. I could write a book as to why Reach was terrible for multiplayer. Thankfully 343 are releasing the game in its TU form, which attempts to address many of the issues. Unfortunately, some issues simply can't be resolved through patches; the game is just fundamentally flawed. The DMR as a primary weapon is horrid (BR > Pistol >>> DMR) and the maps are the worst in any series (perhaps with the exception of H4). I'll be playing ZBNS, so my issues end there, but other playlists have more numerous issues (AAs, bloom, etc.) on top of the ones mentioned above.
This is all true. Raycevick makes a fantastic video on Reach (and series on Halo) that everyone with rose-colored glasses should watch. Really points out all the massive problems with Reach (and the rest of the games in his other videos) while still respecting them (except H5).
invasion and headhunter
Oh I miss everything. Campaign is fun and interesting, co-op is always awesome, especially online where you meet random people to mess around and get vehicles where they're not supposed to me

Firefight is always entertaining, especially when you bait enemies into blowing themselves up or glitching the dropships with your overshield ability

I always loved playing infection in multiplayer. Nothing quite beats the excitement of getting to a difficult spot on the map and defending it with your pals
Dailies and weeklies always provided you with something to do, unlocking new stuff with the bonus credits and aiming for one thing you want in particular, like a thunderstorm around your head.

But custom games had to be my favourite thing, where people would make all these crazy minigames using forge. I spent so many hours joining random lobbies for that
I miss invasion, playable elites, and the armor customization
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3