Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Halo: The Master Chief Collection (PC)

What is with the low map variety?

OP Sdoots

There are literally dozens of maps in this collection, and yet I seem to only play on a handful. I have every game and every game type selected, 4v4. I have never seen Warlock, Turf, Foundation, Gemini, Backwash, Burial Mounds, Rat Race, Chiron TL-34, Boarding Action, Derelict, Terminal, Waterworks, Longest, Blackout, Epitaph, Foundry, High Ground, Snowbound, Standoff, and more that I can't remember right now.

I bought this collection to play a wide berth of Halo
across a variety of maps and modes. So far, it has been a lot of Slayer on Arena Zealot.

I'm on Tour 2.

What gives? Has ANYONE played some of the less popular maps yet? Or are we just never going to see those again?
I completely empathize with this. I am so bummed at the map rotation in this game--especially when considering how many of them are in this collection! In social gametypes, there should be far more maps than what I'm used to typically seeing; it's very much the reason why I'm starting to feel a little burnt out on multiplayer these days.
Yeah I feel this. I've played on Anchor 9, Heretic and Ghost Town so many times I'm sick of it.
I've only played Turf once. I love that map. They really need to tinker with the weightings
Played on Longshore, Epilogue (A variant of Epitaph), and Standoff today. I sort of wish it went with the "classic" versions of maps rather than the ones that they put out after updates, but I'm just happy to see something other than Heretic or Arena Zealot.

Hopefully I'll keep seeing more and more maps rotate in. This was a good day.
Derelict, longest and rat race come up all the time in the social 4s playlist. In fact I think derelict and longest are some of the most highly weighted maps on that playlist (unfortunate in the case of longest, as most people would prefer to never see that map again). Not sure how you have missed those.
Boarding action is in the social 4s snipers playlist and comes up pretty regularly there.
Chiron is only on action sack I believe and rightly so. It's a generally awful map outside of casual or silly game modes.
YES I really am QUITE tired of STANDOFF please 343 refresh the MAP ROTATION
Support. Made a similar thread but for btb maps. Its actually interesting to see that this is a pattern im noticing more often since the mcc big patch back last year and jsut seemed to get worse as more games were ported to pc.
I will support this 100% because we NEED to be able to choose what maps we play on, im sick and tired of getting the same 3 maps in each game and not play forge maps in reach, some of the best maps in reach are forge maps
BecSon0 wrote:
I will support this 100% because we NEED to be able to choose what maps we play on, im sick and tired of getting the same 3 maps in each game and not play forge maps in reach, some of the best maps in reach are forge maps
See, I actually hard disagree with this. When MCC first came out on Xbox One, it had map voting. It also had a problem with map variety, because only the "classics" got played. Do you like Valhalla, Blood Gulch, and so on? You won't after 20 matches of just that. But that's how it worked out.

A "veto" option to get a new map and mode is fine, but honestly, I am okay with the current setup. I just wish it would pull from more maps, or look at what gets picked the most and puts them towards the lower end of the weighing system for the following week. Adjust things so players see different things each week.
yeah, i'd like to see more map variety too
This is surprising to say the least. I'm pretty sure there are over one hundred maps total in this collection. Hopefully they release the Customs Browser soon if they're not going to increase the number of maps in rotation.