Forums / Games / Halo: The Master Chief Collection (PC)

Which title will be the best for competitive play?

OP sf teaL

Never played a lot of Halo back in the day, and im a very competitive FPS player, playing on teams and whatnot. I was wondering which title will be the best for comp. Obviously it hasnt come out yet, i would just like opinions please. Thanks!
I’m not very well immersed in the competitive scene when it comes to Halo but CE and 2 seem to have the highest skill ceilings. I feel that they will be the best for serious competition.
Halo 2 in my opinion had the best multiplayer competition overall. The other halos did just not feel the same way. Lets just hope we will have a custom edition for each of the halos in the future after release as well.
Halo 1 - 3 are all really good competitive games with good balancing, the only thing that separated them in the past was the different ranking systems for 2 and 3 ( Halo CE didnt have one) but with them all being under the same System/game now, its just down to personal choice. I prefer Halo 3 personally
Halo 2 is slightly more fast paced i believe but not by a lot it also has hit scan on its guns where as halo 3 doesn't, not sure if halo1 is hit scan or not
Halo CE 2v2 is generally understood to be the best competitive Halo. Its quickly spawning power weapons on predictable static timers force players to move and think ahead, and its spawn system gives you very precise control of your teammate's spawn if you understand its inner workings and know the maps. On top of that it has a plethora of small tricks that spice up the game, and it has the fastest gameplay of all Halo games.

It's specifically 2v2 that is held to high regard. 4v4 isn't as popular, in part because with the increased number of teammates you lose control over the spawn system. This is completely unique to CE, and in the rest of the games 4v4 is the more popular competitive mode. CE is altogether very different from the rest of the games because the individual is very powerful in it. So, whereas in the later games you have much more direct reliance on your teammates in the form of team shooting, in CE the teamwork can be more indirect.
tsassi wrote:
Halo CE 2v2 is generally understood to be the best competitive Halo. Its quickly spawning power weapons on predictable static timers force players to move and think ahead, and its spawn system gives you very precise control of your teammate's spawn if you understand its inner workings and know the maps. On top of that it has a plethora of small tricks that spice up the game, and it has the fastest gameplay of all Halo games.

It's specifically 2v2 that is held to high regard. 4v4 isn't as popular, in part because with the increased number of teammates you lose control over the spawn system. This is completely unique to CE, and in the rest of the games 4v4 is the more popular competitive mode. CE is altogether very different from the rest of the games because the individual is very powerful in it. So, whereas in the later games you have much more direct reliance on your teammates in the form of team shooting, in CE the teamwork can be more indirect.
I remember those days and invited my friends to come to my place and hook up xbox system link lol for halo 1, Then halo ce came out not to long after for pc and had the best multiplayer matches. I do believe though that halo 1 king of the hill is pretty intense at times, especially if it is tournament wise. Though Big team battle is pretty popular I wish they would make a competitive mode with big team battle. But it is pc gaming it is all competitive.
Although I've never really played it myself, halo 2 is supposed to be the most competitive.
I would say Halo 3. Halo 2 gets annoying because of the button combos that everyone uses, but that's my opinion. Who knows what will be the competitive game for MCC?
If they include Halo 2 the anniversary edition, that will be the smoothest pc port competitive wide. Halo Reach available for argument
tsassi wrote:

I completely second this. Hit it on the head.

3’s are fun too on CE.

Also, for those who don’t know. There are 3sk’s in halo 1. Two body one head with the mag pistol. Thus, an individual has more power (there are other reasons but imo this is the most drastic difference). Before the player has time to duck or get out (no sprint) you’re most likely dead. Unlike other titles you have time to get back recharge..which team mates play a larger role..
It depends what you like.

Halo 2 is probably the most mechanically skill based game, while Halo 3 relies more on things like Game Sense, which is demonstrated by the high amount of abilities and the more important weapon spawns to memorized. I'd recommend Halo 3 as it's just as mechanically skill based as Halo 2, but it does rely on in a bit less, which can be frustrating if you're having a bad day.

Consider Halo 3 Multiplayer like Halo 2 with Powerups on the map. I recommend that, but it's hard to learn. Most people do also prefer Halo 2 for maps.
As much as I am more excited for Halo 3 and Halo CE's multiplayer, I still think Halo 2 will be the best competitive multiplayer. It was just responsive and so much more fast-paced than other Halos, it is going to be so insane on PC.
All Halo titles have their own competitive scene. Which one is the best for competition can be debatable. Halo CE is probably regarded as the title with the most competitive depth, but I haven't seen much in terms of big tournaments and prize pools. Halo 3 on the other hand has less competitive depth than CE and 2, but gets the most attention when it comes to tournaments/prize pool. Honestly it comes down to personal preference to which one you would enjoy the most. When it launches on PC the increased attention might spur up tournaments across all titles.
I'm interested in this too. I'm wondering how the competitive scene will work considering there's five titles that it could happen in. I've personally thought that one of the games might become "the one main competitive game" while the others act sort of as side attractions, occasionally being in the spotlight. I possibly thought that Reach would have been the most competitive since it is newest to MCC as well as the first to be released, but I don't know much about what titles others would choose. I was personally interested in both Reach and Halo 3 competitive gameplay, but I'm all for all.