Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Halo: The Master Chief Collection (PC)

Why Are We Punishing Quitting in Social Games?!

OP Novashank

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3
I completely understand your point and I also believe applying stricter punishments is a terrible idea. We need encourage players to not leave, not force them to stay. Something I'd like to add to your posts, is that I believe this feature should be optional and you only would be allowed to join at certain part of the match (i.e I see no point to join when the score is already 40/40 and the game is about to end).

I also would like to point that punishment right now are not that strict. If you leave one match you'll have a 1 minute ban, the second time you'll have 2 minutes, the third 5 and so on. This seems to reset daily so you can potentially quit a match per day with getting almost no punish.
The reason why I think it's a terrible idea apply harder punishments is that there are some few games that feels very frustrating/unfair, or maps where you know the whole game will inevitably get boring (like XXXX from Reach, where all matches lasts almost ten minutes and almost always at least two people quit, glad I haven't got to play that map recently). I think if we feel this extreme discomfort in a game, it's a pain to wait the potential time that it takes to ends, so the choice of leaving is completely valid here. I rarely quit but when I do I do it for reasons which can be justified.
I've said this before, but I agree we should have join in progress like so many other games. Nobody should be forced to commit to a SOCIAL game mode and face the threat of a ban. People that play casually should have the option of joining a game they can leave at their convenience, in SOCIAL, but for competitive I think the ban for leaving should stay as it is universally excepted among games as far as i know
DarXyd3 wrote:
Maybe people wouldn't quit as much if they were put into properly matchmade games that didn't feel like 500 ping......
I can't even find games these days. Halo 3 Flight had close to 100k people invited and I still couldn't join a game.
Re: original post, yes. This is something that's irked me a lot, why should there be penalization for leaving games early unless it's a comp match? It just seems silly, even with the trivial little bans they incorporate.
I've said this before, but I agree we should have join in progress like so many other games. Nobody should be forced to commit to a SOCIAL game mode and face the threat of a ban. People that play casually should have the option of joining a game they can leave at their convenience, in SOCIAL, but for competitive I think the ban for leaving should stay as it is universally excepted among games as far as i know
That's what gathering friends together and creating your own matches together is for. Asking for a Server browser for user created matches is probably the best you'll get if you can convince them to make one.
Novashank wrote:
Isn't the whole point of "Social" Games to create a casual, not strictly competitive environment where winning and losing don't matter as much as having fun and doing our best?

Should we punish people for unavoidable incidents? Really? I don't think it's fair to be held back for minutes at a time from playing a game we paid at least $30 for, for such a trivial reason.
You say this like 98% of quitters aren't leaving over a losing game.
Halo games aren't long, depending on the gametype the quick ones are 10 min or less and the long ones usually don't go past 20. It is rare that something is so urgent it forces a person to not have time to play the game out, so that leaves having a -Yoink- connection at which point you should probably stop queuing up anyway.

"I paid 30 dollars but now I have to wait a few minutes at a time for quitting", what stupid melodrama. It is the punishment that is trivial, unless you make it a very frequent habit of quitting which defeats your premise of social being 4fun win or lose. If your time is so valuable (or so accident prone) you often can't finish matches nor want to wait out a leave penalty, I'd stop playing online MP video games altogether. Or wait for server browser so everyone can choose to do drop-in/drop-out rather than be forced to match into a lost game.
"join in game" at first i was against this, but i've realized that for areas that have low player count, this could allow games to start as 3v3 or whatever and then have players join mid match and then also perhaps have a rolling match feature that will keep the players and everyone gets to keep playing. this really could help EU, and AUSTRALIA players to actually be able to play. This notably would be good for FFA, INFECTION and BTB.

if anything there should be an option to TICK off if you want to play with join in matches games or a different playlist?
What I would like to see is some kind of mercy rule. Where players on the short handed team can vote to end the game if half of the players or more have quit the game.

So if a game is 4v2, the players with only 2 on their team can vote to end the match. Or you could even have it to where they can leave without penalty.

As for increasing penalties for leaving games, I wouldn't be against it if MCC wasn't so jank. I've had times when playing on my laptop where the match wouldn't load properly and I'd be stuck on a black screen while the match was actually still playing. One time this happened twice in a row and I got that 3 minute ban. It sucked because I almost never quit ongoing games, but what choice did I have? The ban would have been shorter than waiting for the match to end.. it's an unfortunate situation.

But I'm not in favor of joining mid game. Halo matches are short enough to where we shouldn't need it.
What I would like to see is some kind of mercy rule. Where players on the short handed team can vote to end the game if half of the players or more have quit the game.

So if a game is 4v2, the players with only 2 on their team can vote to end the match. Or you could even have it to where they can leave without penalty.
This is probably the best solution that could be asked for. If the team with less players is clearly going to lose. They should be allowed to start a vote to forfeit, where if successful the match would end with the team forfeiting out of the match. From this point everyone could move onto hopefully a better match quicker.
Bans applied to social for quiting and afk is absurd. I like how apex legends lets you do what you want in casual then bans you in all modes if you quit in ranked. So you cant quit ranked and play casual while you wait for your ban to go away. I also like the thought of join in progress too.many times heave i been in a 8 vs 4 or less situation that is basically torture
Bans applied to social for quiting and afk is absurd. I like how apex legends lets you do what you want in casual then bans you in all modes if you quit in ranked. So you cant quit ranked and play casual while you wait for your ban to go away. I also like the thought of join in progress too.many times heave i been in a 8 vs 4 or less situation that is basically torture
They became a necessary evil thanks to majority of matches back during the original Halo 2 era were ruined by abandoners then were fun full games start to finished.

Join in progress didn’t help as people would enter these games, see that they had already started and just turn around and leave again. What people would call a revolving door situation.
As long as there is no join in progress system, quit bans should be handed out. You quit, you wreck your teammates' game. If they implement join in progress then they should lift the quit penalties in social.
Or you could even have it to where they can leave without penalty.

If I recall correctly, you don't get banned for leaving a game if two (or three) of your teammates already left.
Xzit117 wrote:
Or you could even have it to where they can leave without penalty.

If I recall correctly, you don't get banned for leaving a game if two (or three) of your teammates already left.
Can anyone confirm this? This would be helpful to know next time I boot the game up. Cause this issue comes up all the time. Even in cases where I could inform opponents that quiting wont penalize them if all their teammates left. Cause this issue sucks for both sides. It's hard to expect 1 or 2 players to overcome an opposing team with complete map control.
They became a necessary evil thanks to majority of matches back during the original Halo 2 era were ruined by abandoners then were fun full games start to finished.

Join in progress didn’t help as people would enter these games, see that they had already started and just turn around and leave again. What people would call a revolving door situation.
But people are _still_ leaving games. Often times pretty early on (whether it's ragequitting or connection issues, who knows).
What's going on right now is still worse than revolving doors.

Even then there's ways to adjust the system. They could put in a time/score threshold so people don't join games that are nearly finished and still include punishments for leaving as its not mutually exclusive to backfill, allow games to start with lower player numbers and allow new players to join in before a certain time threshold, stuff like that.

But people are _still_ leaving games. Often times pretty early on (whether it's ragequitting or connection issues, who knows).
What's going on right now is still worse than revolving doors.

Even then there's ways to adjust the system. They could put in a time/score threshold so people don't join games that are nearly finished and still include punishments for leaving as its not mutually exclusive to backfill, allow games to start with lower player numbers and allow new players to join in before a certain time threshold, stuff like that.
Best options we could probably request are as following to help the sitation:

1. Request a team vote option to "Surrender" the match. Which will end the match if the majority vote yes.
2. Add Server Browser so people can find community created servers.
3. If people are still leaving, then make punishments worse.
I hope this stays the same unless they add an option to join through the middle of the game, they should still be banning people for leaving and abandoning their teammates.
I've heard an argument that a server browser could lead to a small handful of maps and possibly modes dominating player attention, and that many maps would largely get abandoned. The argument being that we risk losing variety.
I've heard an argument that a server browser could lead to a small handful of maps and possibly modes dominating player attention, and that many maps would largely get abandoned. The argument being that we risk losing variety.
Risk losing variety isn't as bad as losing fun. Losing fun = no players anywhere.
Right now, there is equally bad variety, but the rotations don't work the way they would on a real dedicated server. I just get put into the same maps/gametypes over and over and over (at least in firefight) as I get swapped between servers or something after each map... or at least I assume this is happening, otherwise the rotations are even more broken than I thought
I love MCC for its single player, it's top notch. But I've pretty much given up on online multiplayer due to the wait times. I'm sure I'm not alone in this.

So I agree with this topic 100%. I think it could really boost activity in social matchmaking while we wait for a server browser.
Queues are slow enough and we'd never get any games played if everyone could freely reroll until they got their preferred maps/modes. We needed that browser 7 months ago.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3