Forums / Games / Halo: The Master Chief Collection (PC)

Will Halo MCC for PC support cross play?

OP LarsBars

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 9
Quote:
"There are those who said this day would never come. What are they to say now?"
Super exciting announcement on Inside Xbox today. Halo MCC will finally come to PC on Steam and Microsoft store!!

All my friends and I are wondering if the game will have cross-play between Xbox and PC? There is also the question of whether the PC versions will be able to cross-play with each other.

• Full PC-and-Xbox multiplayer cross play?
  • Steam and Windows 10 Store (PC to PC) cross play? Update: Steam and Windows 10 Store cross play has been confirmed.
  • LAN PC-and-Xbox multiplayer cross play?
  • LAN PC-and-PC-and-Xbox multiplayer cross play?
  • Campaign co-op cross-play?
  • Xbox and PC specific matchmaking playlists?
The PC-to-PC cross play question is super important, because having two different PC versions / distribution platforms can sometimes mean two entirely different multiplayer userbases which is a horrible customer experience.

I really hope that both PC versions are considered "the same" and I really hope that both PC versions will support full cross play with Xbox versions.
I think the cross-play system will be similar to Minecraft's,(You'll have to sign into your Microsoft account).
Good questions. In my opinion, sustaining a viable matchmaking population without cross play will be impossible.
Would be very interesting to see if they implement it. I'm pretty sure they will. Let them take their time with this. Rushing through it would only mean more problems for the MCC as a whole.
I hope/expect full crossplay.
LarsBars wrote:
Super exciting announcement on Inside Xbox today. Halo MCC will finally come to PC on Steam and Microsoft store!!

All my friends and I are wondering if the game will have cross-play between Xbox and PC?

• Full PC-and-Xbox multiplayer cross-play?
  • LAN PC-and-Xbox multiplayer cross-play?
They are adding a custom game browser sometime in the future so my guess would be that for the matchmaking playlists, they would be separate, but if you wanted to have a custom game in a party or have it joinable on the custom game browser, it would be cross platform
Custom games being crossplay would be fine to be honest, though having campaigns would be nice too. I just want to play with my PC friends!
LarsBars wrote:

All my friends and I are wondering if the game will have cross-play between Xbox and PC?

It’ll probably be like Minecraft, were as long as you’re connected to your Xbox account, you can play with anyone on Xbox or PC. I can’t wait for the population to spike.
Cross play matchmaking will spark interesting discussion regarding the fairness of controller vs. keyboard/mouse players, not to mention modding.
Oh snap, the Steam store listing shows the following, which could be a hint for cross-play:

Quote:
Requires 3rd-Party Account: Xbox Live
Why require Xbox Live if Steam players aren't going to be playing with Xbox players?! o:
Cross play matchmaking will spark interesting discussion regarding the fairness of controller vs. keyboard/mouse players, not to mention modding.
Us PC folk also have much higher framerates and POV sliding(although maybe that'll be added to console too).

I just hope we have crossplay for at least everything else. Give console the ability to use keyboard&mouse and/or opt-out of matchmaking crossplay.
Yeah, holy smokes, I really wonder how good the MCC PC team will be at developing anti-cheat and reporting systems. The console environment is much more forgiving in that capacity. They recently included an IP hiding measure, but I hope these kinds of things and whatever will be added later will be robust enough to survive in the PC environment.
Perhaps matchmaking will be device-specific, unless a player changes that option.
Heronimon wrote:
Us PC folk also have much higher framerates and POV sliding(although maybe that'll be added to console too).

I just hope we have crossplay for at least everything else. Give console the ability to use keyboard&mouse and/or opt-out of matchmaking crossplay.
Right, and how is aim-assist going to be handled? (it's not currently toggle-able, is it?) Surely the mouse folks will want to remove it. *sigh* I guess the veteran controller people like myself will soon become plebs compared to the PC community's skill... at least we'll get a much more dedicated community out of this. My 4 star BR (it's aggressively mediocre) will soon be downgraded substantially. hahahaha
I hope! My friend is still on Xbox and I seriously want to be able to play with him!
N0HBODY wrote:
Heronimon wrote:

Right, and how is aim-assist going to be handled? (it's not currently toggle-able, is it?) Surely the mouse folks will want to remove it. *sigh* I guess the veteran controller people like myself will soon become plebs compared to the PC community's skill... at least we'll get a much more dedicated community out of this. My 4 star BR (it's aggressively mediocre) will soon be downgraded substantially. hahahaha
You are, all of you...verrrrmin! Kidding not kidding ;P

And yes I will want to remove aim-assist. They should give that option to console too just for the heck of it.
Jestzer wrote:
Perhaps matchmaking will be device-specific, unless a player changes that option.
They did really cool stuff like this in Fortnite. When a PC player, or a console keyboard/mouse player, join a party, it switches the matchmaking playlists to keyboards. So it's kind of a "dark zone" of sorts, where you know that you're going to go up against PC players.
N0HBODY wrote:
Yeah, holy smokes, I really wonder how good the MCC PC team will be at developing anti-cheat and reporting systems. The console environment is much more forgiving in that capacity. They recently included an IP hiding measure, but I hope these kinds of things and whatever will be added later will be robust enough to survive in the PC environment.
It’s ugly out there. For example, Respawn’s system has already banned more than 355K Apex Legends PC players since launch.

I think 343 will have to take this issue seriously.
N0HBODY wrote:
Yeah a very strong anti-cheat system is paramount.

But hopefully they allow harmless things like releasing the mod tools, graphics mods etc
LarsBars wrote:

I'm pretty sure it will if you buy it from the Windows Store on PC. Don't know about Steam.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 9