Forums / Games / Halo: The Master Chief Collection (PC)

Windows store version vs Steam?

OP Toph Bei Fong

has there been any differences to go with one over the other? Can the steam version crossplay with the windows store version? will there be crossplay at all? even for just co op and firefight from PC to console?
Yes, people who purchased the collection from Steam or the Windows Store will crossplay with each other.

Console and PC on the other hand, will not be able to crossplay with each other. The devs said they're looking into it, but that's all regarding consoles & PC crossover.
thanks for clarification. Are there any major differences between them?
Personal preference. Regarding cost: Windows Store is offering 20% discount to GamePass players so the Steam version is a premium.
Personal preference. Regarding cost: Windows Store is offering 20% discount to GamePass players so the Steam version is a premium.
Windows Store titles are notorious for having numerous issues updating/launching. Unless it's free, I'd avoid the WS version.
I can join gamepass for $1 my first month. will this allow me the 20% off?
I can join gamepass for $1 my first month. will this allow me the 20% off?
Yes you will receive 20% even for the $1 month.
use steam much better, easy pick
If you look at the chart comparing the cross-progression stuff, steam has some small benefits. For instance, if I understood the chart correctly, you can be have mid mission saves on steam and xbox one at the same time, but attempting to play a mission on the windows version makes you lose that mid-mission save on xbox? Idk the chart was confusing and is in the last dev update. Also steam will probably have a pretty active community with like mods and the communityhub and what not. I have gamepass so technically I will have access to the windows store version but I will probably buy the steam version anyway.
I think the steam version will be best if your looking to add mods to the game down the line. The Windows Store version is probably best for the out of the box experience on PC (like Xbox One) without really too many issues for most PCs (you don't need to install a client like with Steam for example) but obviously you won't be able to really modify the Windows Store version.
If you look at the chart comparing the cross-progression stuff, steam has some small benefits. For instance, if I understood the chart correctly, you can be have mid mission saves on steam and xbox one at the same time, but attempting to play a mission on the windows version makes you lose that mid-mission save on xbox? Idk the chart was confusing and is in the last dev update. Also steam will probably have a pretty active community with like mods and the communityhub and what not. I have gamepass so technically I will have access to the windows store version but I will probably buy the steam version anyway.
Wasn't there an achievement for completing the entire saga in a single session? I wonder if the mid-session Steam-cloud save would still grant you that score.