Skip to main content

Forums / Community / General Discussion

15 Years of Halo - Share your fondest memory!

OP ske7ch

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. 5
  6. 6
  7. 7
  8. ...
  9. 12
The first time I got an Xbox and with it, a racing game, and Halo. At that moment, I learned I didn't like racing games. I looked at the other game to come with the Xbox. Halo : Combat Evolved. I ignored it for a month or so. (Don't judge me, I was young.) I was bored, so I put it in. Boy was I glad I did. I was astounded, blown away, and in awe. It was amazing. And at the very young age of 10, I was already hyped up for Halo 2. Thanks Halo.
Beating Halo 3: ODST on Legendary Solo. It was late at night, and I beat both Data Hive and was just at the end of Coastal Highway. The phantom with the rest of the ODST's came up to the right and I just walked slowly towards it and just let the moment sink in. I beat the game on the hardest difficulty. It was probably the most satisfying thing I have ever done in a Halo game and I will remember that moment for years to come.
Favorite memory? Has to be in Reach, where I at last played a Halo game in earnest. I loved the campaign, and the feeling of just how helpless the fight really was struck me, especially when the final moments of gameplay are spent in a battle that goes on until you breath your last. Many great memories from the campaigns of all main Halo games have followed after that, but I have to go with the memory that sparked my love of Halo.
Way too many to pick from. Pretty much all the LAN parties of Halo CE, Halo 2,and Halo 3 throughout High school. I made a lot of great memories in those years.
Although I have a lot of very fond memories of halo reach and its beta, I think my fondest of all would be the very first time I played halo at a friend's house and we played halo 1 and 2 campaign from beginning to end just a week before the release of Halo 3... it was epic. I honestly had never seen anything like it. Back then, the Xbox was really just unknown to me, I was used to only Nintendo and PS games and this experience made me get an Xbox 360, halos 1 and 2 of my own and Halo 3 when it came out. And ever since I haven't missed a single launch.
It's not so much one moment, but a theme in a few of the Halo games: the moment where you get your first, proper, long look at the world you are about to take with a storm of lead and plasma. I think this is best presented by Halo 4's Requiem: emerging from that crevasse into the light to see, for the first time, living, moving, Forerunner towers. Impossibly large and drifting through the air, accompanied by a haunting chorus of strings-that-aren't-strings; finally striking the nail squarely to drive the sheer almost-familiar alien-ness of the Forerunners home.
My fondest memory is how people I knew who weren't gamers became gamers after playing Halo CE and Halo 2 single player co-op with me after school...everyone always fell in love with Halo because it was more than a game, it just had something special about it that made it different from every other game out there at the time.

I remember one time on a Friday after high school let out, my one non-gamer friend stopped by my house to try out Halo 2's campaign with me and wound up having to call his parents to tell them he'd be staying over for the night because he wanted to finish the campaign with me. We literally stayed up all night long finishing the campaign on Legendary, fell asleep on the couch with controllers still in hand, and couldn't stop talking about that night for the rest of the year. Later that week he calls me to tell me he bought his own Xbox with Halo and a ton of other games. Halo 2 converted my old friend into a lifelong gamer.

That's one of my fondest memories, on top of playing customs everyday after school for like seven hours straight.

I kid you not when I say this, but the custom games in Halo 2 brought me so much joy for so many years that Halo 2 will always be in my heart. The memories that I have with that game are amazing and I have not experienced anything like it since with regards to gaming.

My other memory is how I came into Halo to begin with. I was at the local video game store with my mom looking to rent something, but I didn't know what. Nothing made me happy like Goldeneye N64, so finding new games was kinda bumming me out because nothing compared to that game for me at the time. I remember my mom calling me over and saying something along the lines of "Hey, look at this game called Halo, it looks pretty cool. Why don't we rent that for the weekend?" I looked at it in awe with pictures on the back and Master Chief on the front..."Halo" just felt so different in that moment. I agreed instantly and that Monday we went back and bought a copy because I could not stop playing it. I was OVERJOYED to learn Halo 2 was coming out and would be playable online...Halo 2 literally started Xbox Live for the most part, so the online community was awesome for the 7 years or so that it was online.
SGP SGP wrote:
Although I have a lot of very fond memories of halo reach and its beta, I think my fondest of all would be the very first time I played halo at a friend's house and we played halo 1 and 2 campaign from beginning to end just a week before the release of Halo 3... it was epic. I honestly had never seen anything like it. Back then, the Xbox was really just unknown to me, I was used to only Nintendo and PS games and this experience made me get an Xbox 360, halos 1 and 2 of my own and Halo 3 when it came out. And ever since I haven't missed a single launch.
Dude that sounds just like my story with my friend, lol. Halo converted so many people into gamers, it's crazy.
I remember putting my newborn daughter to sleep for a nap and jumping into marathon custom firefights with the wife in Reach. Hope 6 goes back to split screen for my wife to get back on the field of battle.
The way that Elites could just hit hunters and they'd go everywhere.
One time, I was on halo 3 (The covenant) and when I got to the third tower, I killed on hunter but before I could get the other one of the Elites hit it and it got stuck in the roof.
Not much, but it does show how powerful Elites really are.
Fondest memory is easily playing the Halo 3 level the covenant for the first time, disabling the barrier, destroying two scarabs then fighting your way to truth. then after all of that fighting through the flood where the levels closing cutscene was watching installation 04B rising from the ark.
Beating Halo 2 for the first time, it made me get CE. And that soundtrack... I love it!
Getting the guys and gals together with multiple Xbox's and plugging in Halo 2 and 3 on the 360 later on. An all night HAlo athon in a living room with almost 16 different consoles and tvs. Snacks, drinks and good times. Would play from dusk till dawn then make breakfast and then all go home dreaming of Halo battles.
There are so many to choose from. I would say that my fondest would be the Halo 2 custom games. Infection at its roots (when it was still an honor system), capture the tower on ascension, battlesquare on lockout. So many great times.
Ah the memories, playing h3 with friends was so fun. A more recent memory would be sending hunters into orbit in h5 or seeing the hilarious h5 ai bugs (levatsting jackals are my fav)
My fondest Halo memory is when I was chilling out at home and playing Halo 3 custom games with my friends all day, literally all day until my parents threw me out of my chair; Wankers.
Jenga Tower, Duck Hunt. Fat Kid, Halo on Halo ( My sniping skill wasn't on point back then but w/e), Sacrifice, Ice Cream Man, Michael Jackson's Mansion, Cops & Robbers, Ghostbusters; the list goes on and on.
Even though Reach's Forge and Custom games are also pretty good, I remember Halo 3 custom games more because I had just so much fun back then.
Some of my fondest are my best friend messing around and doing glitches in Halo CE and 3. Some of my fondest are also when I played my first Halo, Reach, at my cousins house. We would always have a lot of fun just messing around on forge world.
Probably the countless hours I spent playing the various halo games with my brother. Hard to pick a favourite moment out of them cause there all so good. It's crazy how much fun you can have just fooling around with one other person on any of the halo maps.
Really hard to pick one, because there are a lot. Mostly just the Halo experience is a very fond memory, but playing those custom games on Halo 3 with a few American buddies and also me and my brother playing co-op all the time was very nice.
It's really hard to say so I'll just give 5 favorite memories, in no order.

1. All the time I've spent playing reach customs

2. All the time I spent with my old clan in halo reach

3. Playing campaign and customs with the magnificent Hokiebird428

4. (When it was still up and going) playing halo 4 with FTG (Full Throttle Gaming, the biggest community I've been a part of, at its peak it had 4,000+ members).

5. And of course, going over to my friends house and playing CE (and later 2) for the first time.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. 5
  6. 6
  7. 7
  8. ...
  9. 12