Forums / Community / General Discussion

A difference in marketing

OP ODST from 105th

Halo 4 was heavily advertised. Truly invested in even before its release. We had Forward Unto Dawn, novels leading up to it, multiple pre order bonus skins for different retailers (I actually loved that), Mountain Dew amd Doritos codes for double XP and TONS of trailers and documentaries for it. A lot of people didn't like Halo 4.

I. Love. Halo 4. Then Halo 2 Anniversary with the Master Chief Collection came. An hour long documentary was released for it. Hype was freaking unreal. Then came Halo 5: Guardians. Trailers and Hunt the Truth. That was it. It didn't seem like a lot of promotion went into 5.

Now Halo: Infinite is coming. We're getting trailers and now documentaries again. They teased us with a bit of it at Outpost Discovery.

I think 343 Industries had a hunch Halo 5 would not be that great. And yes, MCC was very broken at launch. But you can't possibly tell me that the campaign for Halo 2 Anniversary wasn't fantastic. 343 Industries had high hopes for Halo 4 and 2 Anniversary. They had great campaigns! They didn't seem too thrilled with 5 and for good reasons.

They seem really happy and eager for Infinite. And when creators show a lot of enthusiasm for their work, it reassures me that the quality of it will be great.
Hard to say, really.

With MCC launching in fall 2014 and the incoherent MESS it was for such a long time, 343 was sort of in damage control mode, as a lot of the echos on their Halo 5 advertising was "FIX MCC", especially with the Halo 5 Beta access coming through purchasing the MCC. They dropped the trailers in early 2015 and did the Hunt the Truth campaign, as well as the due diligence at E3. They also released promotional action figures with REQ pack codes, as well as tie-ins with Monster Energy and Hot Pockets.

I don't think they "knew" it wasn't going to be as well received as some previous installments, I think they put as much effort as they could into it to make it as much of a complete game as possible. I do think the marketing campaigns were deceptive (the whole Chief vs Locke thing where Chief supposedly screwed something up was so cool but so so misleading) - but I viewed them as pretty similar to those from the past.
Halo 4 was insanely hyped up via marketing, true. I'd argue that the sheer amount of hype they tried to muster for that game in advance of anyone playing it actually served to make it feel pretty underwhelming to a lot of us; I was deeply disappointed in Halo 4 when it came out, myself, and while my opinion on it has softened considerably over the years, I still think the insane marketing campaign behind it didn't do the end product too many favors.

Halo 5 definitely had some monster marketing behind it; I remember the Superbowl ad with Chief laying in the rubble being very impactful, and Hunt The Truth was a very interesting crossmedia marketing project. In the end, I think that marketing all feels minimal or weird because none of it indicated anything accurate about Halo 5. I think there was a lot of scrambling to make that campaign different than it had originally been planned to be, which means that whatever it was originally was something 343i thought the majority of fans would dislike more than what we ended up getting. Makes me super curious about the original outline for that game- maybe we'll get to find out more about that someday.

As far as Infinite goes? I think they're being super smart with it. It's not useful to let your entire fanbase see too much of your upcoming project too soon. Every single drop of news is absolutely torn to shreds and used as a springboard for insane speculation (Go back and watch HaloFollower's vids released prior to H4 to see what I mean here; I know he's not anybody's favorite HaloTuber, but he was the most prominent at that time by far). People see to many details and make up their minds about exactly what they want to have happen in the game, and then when it doesn't play out like that, they feel disappointed.

I think the very slow, very minimal marketing for Infinite so far is great. It means that by the time they ramp up the marketing, we'll have to wait mere months for the game to launch. If it's the great return to form for the series they obviously want to think it will be, not having had it be the center of every discussion in the industry for the past three years will be very good for it. It'll blindside everyone like a freight train from nowhere just like CE did to kick the whole franchise off. That's only if it's great, or course. Either way, let the documentary type stuff show up after we've all played the game and can appreciate it more.
I. Love. Halo 4. Then Halo 2 Anniversary with the Master Chief Collection came. An hour long documentary was released for it. Hype was freaking unreal. Then came Halo 5: Guardians. Trailers and Hunt the Truth. That was it. It didn't seem like a lot of promotion went into 5.
I think you're forgetting Halo: Nightfall. 343 kinda went all out for both games tbh. Infinite is the odd one out here since it has received virtually no marketing coverage by comparison to the previous two.
I think you're forgetting Halo: Nightfall. 343 kinda went all out for both games tbh. Infinite is the odd one out here since it has received virtually no marketing coverage by comparison to the previous two.
I know Nightfall was Halo 5 Locke hype, but always felt it was split with MCC since you got the code to watch it with the purchase or preorder or whatever of MCC.

I think there's just been the right amount of coverage and marketing for Infinite. I'd be willing to bet we start getting some drops soon - and they're not trying to get us "caught up" with anything like they did with FUD (introduction of Lasky, state of Chief after all these years) or Nightfall (new protagonist). They also didn't really announce where/how you could watch FUD until the April before the fall game release.

We also haven't had a new Halo launch coincide with a new Xbox launch since literally 2001. That I'm sure adds an extra layer of complication.

Regardless - I would advise that we all hold onto our butts for the coming months, because the hype train will be leaving the station soon.
I think 343 Industries had a hunch Halo 5 would not be that great.

They didn't seem too thrilled with 5 and for good reasons.

They seem really happy and eager for Infinite. And when creators show a lot of enthusiasm for their work, it reassures me that the quality of it will be great.
If anything OP, surely 343i thought the opposite about Halo 5 - I just think you're missing a lot of pre-launch materials in your list because for Halo 5, we actually saw the biggest ever build-up for a Halo game...

- Halo: Nightfall video series (later put together into a whole film)
- The Fall Of Reach animated story
- Halo Books: Hunters In The Dark, New Blood and Last Light
- Hunt The Truth Audio Series along with the Hunt The Truth website at Tumblr
- Halo: Escalation comic series
- Hunt The Signal, an online ARG for SecOps type players who like solving codes and riddles
- Trailers: from E3 2013 and 2014, to the 2015 Hunt The Truth Trailers (including The Bullet to A Hero Falls to the Locke-Chief Trailers, the TV Trailer and Launch Gameplay Trailer).
- Interviews with 343i staff, with hints and info about the game, like Morgan Lockhart saying "Take it slow" .
- The Journey Infographic showing how all these pieces of Lore somehow link into Halo 5
- And not forgetting promotional merchandise.

That lot dwarfs any previous game build-up and advertising campaign. By contrast, Infinite has had just two trailers so far, but I wouldn't read anything into that either as we may yet get a big build-up for the game (new books, videos, audio series, comics etc)... :-)

If anything OP, surely 343i thought the opposite about Halo 5 - I just think you're missing a lot of pre-launch materials in your list because for Halo 5, we actually saw the biggest ever build-up for a Halo game...

- Hunt The Signal, an online ARG for SecOps type players who like solving codes and riddles
- Trailers: from E3 2013 and 2014, to the 2015 Hunt The Truth Trailers (including The Bullet to A Hero Falls to the Locke-Chief Trailers, the TV Trailer and Launch Gameplay Trailer).
- Interviews with 343i staff, with hints and info about the game, like Morgan Lockhart saying "Take it slow" .
- The Journey Infographic showing how all these pieces of Lore somehow link into Halo 5

That lot dwarfs any previous game build-up and advertising campaign. By contrast, Infinite has had just two trailers so far, but I wouldn't read anything into that either as we may yet get a big build-up for the game (new books, videos, audio series, comics etc)... :-)
I can admit when I'm wrong. And yes, you are correct.
I miss the marketing for Halo 2, and Halo 3... I member when H2 dropped, and I think for 3 as well, news networks even covered people in lines.
I miss the marketing for Halo 2, and Halo 3... I member when H2 dropped, and I think for 3 as well, news networks even covered people in lines.
2007 was arguably smack in the middle of the golden age of gaming. Gears, COD, and Halo (my holy trinity of Xbox franchises) released outstanding games around that time. Hype was big for just about all things gamer in those days. It really wasn't that long ago, but for Halo that is four games ago (just counting FPS games in that number), so it's a fair bit of time in this industry.

I miss that marketing too. H3 had some fantastic material. Those live-action commercials had me hyped beyond belief. My friends and I thought Bungie was coming out with an actual feature length movie. As I've gotten older though, and seen many promises broken by companies and other entities, I'm really appreciating this slow play 343 is going for. It frustrates me at times, but I'm liking this minimalist marketing campaign they are going for. Nerf just announced a rifle that looks like the one in the E3 trailer, and I already saw about a half dozen YT videos on that one tidbit of pseudo-lore. The hype is unreal given how little information we have, and I think it's very smart of 343 to go that route.
They're being a lot more careful of what they show and when, which I like and dislike at the same time. I'm sure once Infinite story/gameplay is officially revealed they'll ramp up the marketing, especially since it's going to be an XBSX launch title. I think it will be the most advertised Halo ever.

I can admit when I'm wrong. And yes, you are correct.
An OP admitting that they were wrong is truly a feat.

Hats off!