Forums / Community / General Discussion

A original Xbox question

OP edey0208

Hey y’all, I recently found a old Xbox in a shop for a reasonable price so I bought it, My question is back when it was new could you choose your gamer tag or was it random. And can you change it
edey0208 wrote:
Hey y’all, I recently found a old Xbox in a shop for a reasonable price so I bought it, My question is back when it was new could you choose your gamer tag or was it random. And can you change it
Man, that was so long ago I can't remember... lol. I played only CE campaign when the first one came out.
You can’t access Live on OG Xboxes anymore or if you play OG Xbox games via backcompat on 360 or One. But back in the day, you could choose your own gamertag. You were allowed to transfer it to the 360 as well when it was new. Not sure if you could change it or not.

Gratz on getting one :-) Still a cool console to own.
You can change your name if you're playing LAN games.
I had my own Custom Gamer tag. Still got it till this day on another profile to make sure no one takes it haha. That GT got a lot of memories since you know back in the days, not everyone was soft about down talking others skills whether you're good or bad, so to hear people bring up your GT was something to smile about.
I like my gamertag, wouldn't trade it for the world.
edey0208 wrote:
You could choose it, because the game profile and the xbox live account were different things, and yes you can change it. The only thing is (I suppose that you already know this) that Xbox live in the OG Xbox is down, since 2010. The only way to play, just a few games in online, is via Xlink Kai
Congratulations on the OG Xbox first and foremost. When I had that Xbox I did not sign up for live until a year later.
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not bump.
*Original post. Click at your own discretion.
Spoiler:
Show
At that time you could choose your own gamertag.

I've still got a hardly used OG Crystal Xbox, which i got after it's predecessor was nicked.
Rather ironically the reason it is relatively unused is that i started playing Halo CE on PC ... :-/
vengeant wrote:
Rather ironically the reason it is relatively unused is that i started playing Halo CE on PC ... :-/
and that's what I'm worried about

https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/forums/f3681fbc78fa43878c4aec9a63a46224/topics/i%e2%80%99m-uneasy-about-the-halo-on-pc-thing/0a2360a5-875e-457c-a127-7fcaa47734ee/posts?page=1#post4
edey0208 wrote:
vengeant wrote:
and that's what I'm worried about

https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/forums/f3681fbc78fa43878c4aec9a63a46224/topics/i%e2%80%99m-uneasy-about-the-halo-on-pc-thing/0a2360a5-875e-457c-a127-7fcaa47734ee/posts?page=1#post4
Answered in your topic.
tuhin94 wrote:
You can’t access Live on OG Xboxes anymore or if you play OG Xbox games via backcompat on 360 or One. But back in the day, you could choose your own gamertag. You were allowed to transfer it to the 360 as well when it was new. Not sure if you could change it or not.

I'm not sure if this applies to every game, but if you pop Halo 2 into an Xbox 360 while you're signed in to Xbox Live then your Xbox Live account will show up as an in-game profile. You'll get disconnected from Xbox Live when you launch the game, of course, but you can still see it (I'm pretty sure you can even use it offline.) That's a fun fact for you.
tuhin94 wrote:

I'm not sure if this applies to every game, but if you pop Halo 2 into an Xbox 360 while you're signed in to Xbox Live then your Xbox Live account will show up as an in-game profile. You'll get disconnected from Xbox Live when you launch the game, of course, but you can still see it (I'm pretty sure you can even use it offline.) That's a fun fact for you.
That is a fun fact indeed. I might have to start a fresh save on my 360 for Halo 2 one of these days just so I can have a save I can use with 360. I know you said you get disconnected from Live, but I'm guessing you can still keep the save file in the cloud, correct? Some games like Forza Motorsport (the 360 titles) don't like to play nice with the cloud for whatever reason which is why I'm wondering if Halo 2 does.
tuhin94 wrote:
tuhin94 wrote:

That is a fun fact indeed. I might have to start a fresh save on my 360 for Halo 2 one of these days just so I can have a save I can use with 360. I know you said you get disconnected from Live, but I'm guessing you can still keep the save file in the cloud, correct? Some games like Forza Motorsport (the 360 titles) don't like to play nice with the cloud for whatever reason which is why I'm wondering if Halo 2 does.
I'm pretty sure that the Xbox 360 can only save original Xbox data locally.
tuhin94 wrote:
tuhin94 wrote:

I'm pretty sure that the Xbox 360 can only save original Xbox data locally.
Ahh, would have been great if it could. But no matter, that's a minor inconvenience for an original Xbox title anyway.