Skip to main content

Forums / Community / General Discussion

A Wish List for Halo 6

OP MaximusPrime339

This is a video that I think all of 343 industries should watch. Microsoft entrusted Halo to you, a series so beloved and cherished by so many people. Bungie was the studio that had built that legacy. In a way, all of you have inherited the Mantle of Responsibility from those before you. Many fans have already lost their faith in your handling of the series, but there are still many people who are counting on you all to make Halo the thing that we love so dearly. Respect the source material, and continue the philosophy of how Halo was and is meant to be designed.
https://youtu.be/6qfx9eoB-88

The following is a wish list for Halo 6. I really want Halo 6 to be the best Halo game yet, and I feel that these things will help it achieve that goal.

1. Don't make the Halo 6 "simulation" completely depend around 60 frames per second. Allow it to be able to function at all kinds of FPS.

2. Halo 6 needs to have AT LEAST 2 player splitscreen in Campaign, Custom Games, Forge, and (Halo: Reach-style) Firefight (that doesn't require Xbox Live Gold). 4 player splitscreen would be highly preferable for Custom Games and Forge.

3. Custom Games, Forge, and a Reach/ODST style Firefight should not require Xbox Live Gold to play locally.

4. Customizable or all black undersuits/techsuits. Please!

5. Arbiter should have his Halo 3 Elite/Sangheili anatomy (Arbiter's face shape, skin, etc. should look like it did in Halo 3, except Arbiter would look aged and older), not the Elite anatomy that started with Halo 4 and the kind he has in Halo 5.

6. Bring back all of the Halo 3 armor permutation designs please! (EOD, CQB, maybe Hayabusa, original Rogue! MK VI armor's chestplate should look more like it did in Halo 2 and 3, make Recon look like Halo 3 Recon without the huge jaw fins, crotch and waist armor, inner-thigh layered plating)
Edit: The 2017 helmets seem to fix most of these. Good job 343i! But the body armor could still use a little work.

7. Interchangeable armor pieces (helmet, chest, shoulders, legs, possibly more, like Reach)

8. Bring back the Falcon (an airborne troop transport), Troop Transport Warthog (multiple Spartans can sit in the back, why doesn't the Scout Warthog do this?), Chopper, Revenant, H2A Gungoose, Brute Prowler (maybe)

9. Perhaps a Forerunner tank?

10. Bring back some of the classic weapon designs like the CE through 3 Shotgun and the unique side-magazine caseless SMG

11. Make the Assault Rifle have 32 rounds in a magazine!

12. Have the 12-round-magazine-capacity super-fast-reload CE shotgun return as a power weapon variant/REQ variant.

13. Wacky, less dramatic stances mixed in with the serious ones.

14. Opinion: Your skill/rank in multiplayer should NOT be determined by whether your team wins or loses AT ALL. Your skill used to determine who you are matched against in matchmaking should be determined by how skilled you are as a player and how much you contribute to your team.

15. Perhaps consider Halo 6 to not have sprint or Smart-Link. Part of what originally made Halo so unique and successful was that it didn't have sprint or aim down sights. And the few weapons that did have aim down sights weren't even really aim down sights — it was zooming, allowing the player to see enemies farther away. With sprint, combat is separate from movement. Sprinting prevents the player from shooting, and with maps designed around sprint, if a player chooses to be gun ready and walks, then he/she will be vulnerable for not being able to cover distances quicker. There is much more discussion to be had on this which I will not put here for now. If Halo 6 doesn't have sprint or aim down sights animations or Smart Link on every weapon, it would stand out even more in the FPS market and potentially more people would want to buy and play it because it would be refreshing.

16. Don't try to make Halo appeal to the Call of Duty audience or a "wider audience" by introducing aim down sights animations or sprint or loadouts. Respect Halo's roots, its original vision, and seek to constantly improve that. Do not try to copy other games and what they are doing. Innovate as a developer. Halo used to be the leader, the game that would set the bar. Now, it seems to just follow the trends. Not completely, but I think it still does.

17. Do not intentionally and exhaustingly try to make Halo 6 a "competitive" esports game. Bungie did not set out to make Halo the greatest competitive FPS in 2001 with CE — Bungie set out to make a fun game, and the rest is history. Halo did not become the esports giant that it did in the Halo 2/3 days because Bungie was trying super hard to make Halo an esports game, Bungie focused on making Halo fun and naturally competitive first, and then the community turned it into the esports giant that it was. If Halo 6 is a genuinely fun game that players naturally want to compete in and stick with for years to come, then it will become a major esports title. Do not try to force Halo 6 to become the esports king like the original trilogy was – that's what I feel was done with Halo 5.
Oops, forgot Button Mapping. Overwatch on Console did it right, every console game should have that level of in-game button customization. Adding in-game controller mapping to Halo 5 and MCC would be much appreciated as well.

This post has been hidden.

Sorry, my friend, but when a wish list gets that long and that detailed then you need a Xanax.

Starting off with "Many fans have already lost their faith in your handling of the series..." is not particularly endearing, at least not to the eyes you're trying to reach. And it also fails to acknowledge that the mainspring of human psychology is dissatisfaction, and that "many fans" would lose faith in 343 even if they shipped a $60 cure for cancer. Like you, for example, because it probably wouldn't come with a customizable undersuit or the right sized magazine.

But best of luck just the same.
Unknown wrote:
I may have something to add if it is important enough for you but i quite enjoyed it in the past Halo Games.

The topic I wanted is "improved customization options" which lacked in halo 5 in my opinion. Everyone got another perspective into these options, so I just set up my personal wish for customization options in halo 6.

My personal wish for the customization in halo 6 are firstly the past options of halo reach or halo 4 with some improvements.
The first improvement would be an organized order of all armors, all attachments and even reskins that halo 6 should offer. Another idea would be an "white stripe remover" if they're still going with these painted mistakes. A better color selection like a whole color wheel would be great too. My last idea is a customizable HUD with different designs and also some colors to choose from.

The quality of these implementations is one of the most important parts of this, so there is no reason to give us 200 armors if they look pretty similar or even ugly. Always remind "quality over quantity" at the customization side of halo.

Okay, that's about it on my wishlist in customization options. You mentioned the undersuits but there is much more that is needed to be done at this topic in my opinion. As I have said, it isn't as important as the gameplay or even a good campaign but it was actually a way to keep me entertained with my armor.
Sorry for the super late response, life gets busy. I did put in interchangeable armor pieces, but of course something like Reach's customization system would be much appreciated. And yes, a better campaign and good gameplay if of course more important.
Sorry, my friend, but when a wish list gets that long and that detailed then you need a Xanax.

Starting off with "Many fans have already lost their faith in your handling of the series..." is not particularly endearing, at least not to the eyes you're trying to reach. And it also fails to acknowledge that the mainspring of human psychology is dissatisfaction, and that "many fans" would lose faith in 343 even if they shipped a $60 cure for cancer. Like you, for example, because it probably wouldn't come with a customizable undersuit or the right sized magazine.

But best of luck just the same.
I don't believe medical diagnosis is appropriate in these situations and I don't appreciate assuming a person's mental state based off such little context.

The reason I mentioned "Many fans have already lost their faith in your handling of the series..." is because I have seen countless examples of people abandoning Halo even though they were dedicated fans before. In all these instances they expressed their distaste on how 343 is handling things one way or another. This is a decrease in customers, and while I wish Halo was not about money or sales, 343 and Microsoft are businesses and they need to make money. I acknowledge it's not endearing, but that is the sad truth. I am still with Halo, I play Halo 5 often. I still have faith in 343, and black undersuits and a 32 round AR mag (this is purely for tradition and nostalgic reasons, it's certainly one of the lesser requests) are simply my requests on what 343 can improve on.

The condescending and belittling attitude is not appreciated either.