Forums / Community / General Discussion

Achilles Ruined Spartan Companies

OP PolskiiTP

All I see on the SC list is Companies recruiting for Achilles.. Its so sad... The fun and challenge of Halo armor unlocks has just gone down the drain.. Everyone is just recruiting to get it.. There's no real reward to it. Halo 3 had armor that was satisfying to unlock and it was challenging. Achilles is challenging, yes.. But the fact that everyone has just resorted to the methods we have now.. it just ruins it... Idk, just my opinion.
PolskiiTP wrote:
All I see on the SC list is Companies recruiting for Achilles.. Its so sad...
From my experience as a Spartan Company leader, I've come to the conclusion that there are 3 reasons people join companies:
  1. The req pack one gets the first time they join a company
  2. Joining a like-minded community
  3. Achilles
The req pack... isn't great, and most of the players that play a lot already have been in a company at some point. So it's not easy to advertise this as a real selling point. The like-minded community is also hard to sell considering its hard to describe a community in a bio while making it sound appealing. Frankly I doubt people looking to join companies are willing to read page long descriptions about multiple companies and shop around. This leads to the Achilles set being an easy thing to advertise that I would say most people find to be a draw.

So in summary, just because companies advertise the Achilles set as a selling point doesn't mean their company has resorted to disreputable means of earning it. It's just a quick and easy way to try to get members.
PolskiiTP wrote:
The fun and challenge of Halo armor unlocks has just gone down the drain.. Everyone is just recruiting to get it.. There's no real reward to it. Halo 3 had armor that was satisfying to unlock and it was challenging. Achilles is challenging, yes.. But the fact that everyone has just resorted to the methods we have now.. it just ruins it... Idk, just my opinion.
I, for one have thoroughly enjoyed the quest for Achilles. It could be argued that many of my best gaming buddies have been made along the way and I never made friends with strangers like this for any of the previous armors that could be earned. They could all be earned with my existing 3 halo buddies and that's really all I needed.
Pretty sure there are SC's out there that are not pursuing Achilles. I left my first SC because no one was trying. I enjoy being in a SC, I have the option to go solo or partner with Halo champs, which I would not have had the opportunity to do otherwise.
i only joined a spartan company for the armor set because i have everything else. i am a lone wolf kind of guy. however this company does not focus on armor. we play lots of ranked and custom games together. the armor will be a bonus. for me companies just rejuvenates a game that was beginning to stale...
I would have to disagree. When I was searching for a SC, I was completely unaware of the Achilles unlock. I saw plenty of mention of kill comms, but it didn't really matter to me. I was just looking for a larger group of people to play with. All of the folks I ran with "back in the day" of H3 and Reach have wandered into different interests. I'm the only one that still maintained his ridiculous dedication to Halo.

That being said, yes, the company I'm in is definitely working towards Achilles, but even with a full company (which we were not 100 strong up until just a couple weeks ago), the journey to get there has sparked a TON of cooperative play within the company. And we are still MONTHS away from completing it all. Which will make it absolutely rewarding once we get it.

Give a group of people a common goal to work towards, and you'll see the best brought out in people.
I, for one have thoroughly enjoyed the quest for Achilles. It could be argued that many of my best gaming buddies have been made along the way and I never made friends with strangers like this for any of the previous armors that could be earned. They could all be earned with my existing 3 halo buddies and that's really all I needed.
This was my experience as well. Achilles was one of the most fun things I've done while gaming. Getting on every night with determined friends for months on end, and finally getting it and hearing party chat explode was so great! Made so many new friends, and had a great time doing it. I wish there were more challenges like Achilles.
Looonski wrote:
This was my experience as well. Achilles was one of the most fun things I've done while gaming. Getting on every night with determined friends for months on end, and finally getting it and hearing party chat explode was so great! Made so many new friends, and had a great time doing it. I wish there were more challenges like Achilles.
I think the fact that there is ONLY the Achilles challenge is what makes it how it is.. I'm sure its a great feeling and adventure.. But it turns everyone just towards that.. Being in a SC, like I am and us working towards it would be great.. But joining one of those 15 million W3 NE3D 4CHILL35 companies just ruins it.. theres no real growing or use of the SC besides just getting the armor and moving on.. Its just a shortcut... I would love to see a ton of more challenges like Achilles.. It would make things fun and challenging and rewarding rather than having dozens of shortcut companies to get the armor.... if any of that makes sense
PolskiiTP wrote:
Looonski wrote:
I think the fact that there is ONLY the Achilles challenge is what makes it how it is.. I'm sure its a great feeling and adventure.. But it turns everyone just towards that.. Being in a SC, like I am and us working towards it would be great.. But joining one of those 15 million W3 NE3D 4CHILL35 companies just ruins it.. theres no real growing or use of the SC besides just getting the armor and moving on.. Its just a shortcut... I would love to see a ton of more challenges like Achilles.. It would make things fun and challenging and rewarding rather than having dozens of shortcut companies to get the armor.... if any of that makes sense
That's not the fault of Achilles though, its the fault of those Company's. Mine for example was one of the first 25 to get it worldwide, and we had leaderboards with prizes attached to them like XBL gift cards and stuff. It was a great time, and I've been playing with many of my Company mates for well over a year now.

I don't get how those Company's ruin it for you though, if anything their activity is helping you because it means more people are playing. I know a lot of people who quit after we got Achilles last summer because they didn't have anything to "work for" anymore. That carrot on a stick might seem silly to a lot of people, but I've seen like 60 people go from 30hours a week of Halo 5 to zilch once they got that helmet. Granted much of it was burnout, but many guys just need something to work towards that isn't Arena ranks or whatever. They want a challenge to complete.
Looonski wrote:
PolskiiTP wrote:
Looonski wrote:
That's not the fault of Achilles though, its the fault of those Company's. Mine for example was one of the first 25 to get it worldwide, and we had leaderboards with prizes attached to them like XBL gift cards and stuff. It was a great time, and I've been playing with many of my Company mates for well over a year now.

I don't get how those Company's ruin it for you though, if anything their activity is helping you because it means more people are playing. I know a lot of people who quit after we got Achilles last summer because they didn't have anything to "work for" anymore. That carrot on a stick might seem silly to a lot of people, but I've seen like 60 people go from 30hours a week of Halo 5 to zilch once they got that helmet. Granted much of it was burnout, but many guys just need something to work towards that isn't Arena ranks or whatever. They want a challenge to complete.
Its activity and more people playing the game.. But I just think it defeats the purpose.. When 343 came up with the idea I think they imagined an SC named like Brotherhood of Retribution (anything cool because who doesnt like cool names) working together everyday, having fun, working towards that goal.. but its not really their main drive.. They just play until they get it.. but its not bad to have it as the main drive either.. thats how i have always seen it.. What I DON'T think they imagined was 50 thousand SC's named "WE NEED ACHILLES" popping up just to get people the armor.. I know it brings active members and its not affecting me directly and I know that not everyone does it.. but I just feel like its a cheapish way to do something that wasnt intended to be done that way
PolskiiTP wrote:
Looonski wrote:
PolskiiTP wrote:
Looonski wrote:

Its activity and more people playing the game.. But I just think it defeats the purpose.. When 343 came up with the idea I think they imagined an SC named like Brotherhood of Retribution (anything cool because who doesnt like cool names) working together everyday, having fun, working towards that goal.. but its not really their main drive.. They just play until they get it.. but its not bad to have it as the main drive either.. thats how i have always seen it.. What I DON'T think they imagined was 50 thousand SC's named "WE NEED ACHILLES" popping up just to get people the armor.. I know it brings active members and its not affecting me directly and I know that not everyone does it.. but I just feel like its a cheapish way to do something that wasnt intended to be done that way
I think maybe if you were to find a company with many active members playing a lot, not JUST for the armor, you may have a good time being involved.

I know this isn't the recruitment thread, and I'm not a leader in my SC, but we do have 2 open spots, and it wouldn't hurt to try and get in. We don't have a fancy fan fiction back story, just a group of people that have loved Halo for a long time. All of our members are active every week, as that's really the only stipulation that the boss puts down, BE ACTIVE. To be honest, I'm probably the least active member because I travel for work constantly, and can't always bring my box, and/or get internet. And he tolerates my absences lol.
Du Hass wrote:
PolskiiTP wrote:
Looonski wrote:
PolskiiTP wrote:
Looonski wrote:

I think maybe if you were to find a company with many active members playing a lot, not JUST for the armor, you may have a good time being involved.

I know this isn't the recruitment thread, and I'm not a leader in my SC, but we do have 2 open spots, and it wouldn't hurt to try and get in. We don't have a fancy fan fiction back story, just a group of people that have loved Halo for a long time. All of our members are active every week, as that's really the only stipulation that the boss puts down, BE ACTIVE. To be honest, I'm probably the least active member because I travel for work constantly, and can't always bring my box, and/or get internet. And he tolerates my absences lol.
Thanks for the offer but I am currently in UNSC Infinity Marines. We are a military sim clan currently 70 or so members.. We have our own website and everything... But not many people in the SC
PolskiiTP wrote:
All I see on the SC list is Companies recruiting for Achilles.. Its so sad...
From my experience as a Spartan Company leader, I've come to the conclusion that there are 3 reasons people join companies:
  1. The req pack one gets the first time they join a company
  2. Joining a like-minded community
  3. Achilles
The req pack... isn't great, and most of the players that play a lot already have been in a company at some point. So it's not easy to advertise this as a real selling point. The like-minded community is also hard to sell considering its hard to describe a community in a bio while making it sound appealing. Frankly I doubt people looking to join companies are willing to read page long descriptions about multiple companies and shop around. This leads to the Achilles set being an easy thing to advertise that I would say most people find to be a draw.

So in summary, just because companies advertise the Achilles set as a selling point doesn't mean their company has resorted to disreputable means of earning it. It's just a quick and easy way to try to get members.
PolskiiTP wrote:
The fun and challenge of Halo armor unlocks has just gone down the drain.. Everyone is just recruiting to get it.. There's no real reward to it. Halo 3 had armor that was satisfying to unlock and it was challenging. Achilles is challenging, yes.. But the fact that everyone has just resorted to the methods we have now.. it just ruins it... Idk, just my opinion.
Same here. My friends list swelled by at least 25 people when I joined my company, and many of them have made cross-linkages with friends I had before.
To know the Lore is to know Halo
"Dont be spoiled, dont start a fight. Always be careful, here at night. Beacuse the Spartans might come, in suits that weigh half a ton. And they'll steal from you all you gots, just like they did from Colonel Watts."
I agree. There's this thing that I and a lot of other members of the community like to call the "Achilles Effect" As soon as a spartan company manages to get the helmet, everyone leaves, and the community that once existed is no more. It's really quite sad. There's a few solutions that come to mind. I think if there were more then just one main objective to earn more people would stick around because its not all over after one go. I would also like to see more skill based commendations then just grinding. A cooldown after leaving a company is another possibility, but I don't see that one being too popular.
When we came up with this concept (to award a unique armor for a company-based achievement) our goal was to give companies more motivation and to provide a reward for accomplishment as a team (even though you don't have to necessarily play with your company to accrue commendations towards the goal). I do think an argument could be made that it's too difficult or that maybe there should be more intermediate rewards. Or ongoing challenges that keep people playing for unique things. I can tell you 343 has learned a ton from Spartan Companies (and the Achilles challenge).
PolskiiTP wrote:
All I see on the SC list is Companies recruiting for Achilles.. Its so sad... The fun and challenge of Halo armor unlocks has just gone down the drain.. Everyone is just recruiting to get it.. There's no real reward to it. Halo 3 had armor that was satisfying to unlock and it was challenging. Achilles is challenging, yes.. But the fact that everyone has just resorted to the methods we have now.. it just ruins it... Idk, just my opinion.
Totally agree!
PolskiiTP wrote:
I have both Achilles armor and helmet and you know what i never used it. I got the Achilles back when i was in Master Chief Spartan Company so right after i got my Achilles armor and helmet i quit the Master Chief Spartan Company to start my Spartan Company. Back then it was a big deal to get Achilles when Halo 5 was still few months old to try get it unlock. Now because the almost every player want Achilles armor join up to some type Spartan Company with Achilles name to it so when you go to Recruiting forum all you see is join our Spartan Company been spam to hell so any new Spartan Company that want to Recruit new member like me get to bottom of list. 343i should made a Achilles Thread or Forum so that any new player who want get Achilles go there. I wish 343i made the Recruiting forum better so you find the right Spartan Company to join to having fun playing Halo with friends and members of the Spartan Company.
Yea the recruiting forum is filled with Achilles posts, but not all companies are focused on it. I myself use it as a marketing pitch to get members in, but people stay because of the fun community that we've got going on. We're all just trying to find a group to play Halo with, the company packs and exclusive armors are just perks.