Forums / Community / General Discussion

Almost half of all gamers are female

OP Mythik Nick

I posted this under MCC but moved it to general discussion:

I saw this video by Top10Memes where the topic was top ten facts - video games, and if you go to 3:20 in the video he says that roughly 45% of all gamers are female, among other statistics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLSAf172Pe0

Anyone as surprised as I am?
Technology is so great nowadays. You can fit a flat screen tv into the kitchen which is just great.
Im pretty sure that includes people who only play Facebook games or mobile games.

Sorry, but i dont really count these people as 'gamers'.

Using a microwave does not make you a chef. Same logic applies here.
Tarjoilia wrote:
Im pretty sure that includes people who only play Facebook games or mobile games.

Sorry, but i dont really count these people as 'gamers', since i dont count every person who can use a microwave a chef.
Yeah, at this point, games are like movies or TV shows: a piece of entertainment that everyone indulges in every now and then.
Tarjoilia wrote:

Sorry, but i dont really count these people as 'gamers'.

Using a microwave does not make you a chef. Same logic applies here.
True, I suppose a good number of women are just playing mobile games on their phones and such and therefore don't really count, but some men do, too, and there are still probably more women playing more "serious" games then many gamers realize.
OP I'm not surprised.
This fact is correct but it does not specify on what. I believe about half the gamers are mobile gamers.
Nope. I'd prefer to think that every is just a gray blob sitting in a white room, however that makes it all the more humiliating when i lose.
Does it really matter the amount of male and females who are gamers? We are all gamers, period. Gender shouldn't have to matter. (plus I'm a girl)
these statistics always are -Yoink-.. it probably includes things like playing solitare on computer and doesn't as people how often they play either. My bet would be that people that play on console atleast once a week over 80% are male.
darf nate wrote:
these statistics always are -Yoink-.. it probably includes things like playing solitare on computer and doesn't as people how often they play either. My bet would be that people that play on console atleast once a week over 80% are male.
On the Xbox, try 60% male and that number is shrinking.
does it really mater what their gender is? so long as they can play, I game.
that said, there are several areas where women excel over men, I have witnessed this many times in my travels.
ive always enjoyed having a girl on my team they bring a perspective and skill that most men do not posses on the field.
not that im saying that women are better than men nor am I saying the reverse. I am saying that both genders bring talents and abilities that are unique to them.