Forums / Community / General Discussion

always online thought.

OP justathereptile

I'm still going to get the xbox one and just so you know I;m not trying to defend Microsoft I still think its a stupid idea. but heres what I think.

I'm not to sure on the always online but after reading in other sites myself, I think it's like this.

it sounds like from recent articles I've read, the xbox one takes small amounts to connect, so even if you have a crappy net connection it won't boot you/

"IF" you somehow loose your connection, the console keeps you on the game for 24 hours (if loosing access to games via connection is true) most gamers play less than half that time.

I'm don't think its trying to say you have to get on the console every 24 hours.
I agree and here's the official post.

Quote:
With Xbox One you can game offline for up to 24 hours on your primary console, or one hour if you are logged on to a separate console accessing your library. Offline gaming is not possible after these prescribed times until you re-establish a connection, but you can still watch live TV and enjoy Blu-ray and DVD movies.
There's two possibilities for how this will work out. The first is what the internet (in it's infinite wisdom) has assumed to be the case. The second is what MS seems to be saying from their actual blog post.

1. When you log on without an internet connection the xbox looks at its own time and then at the time it has you last logging in with connectivity. If that's greater than 24 hours it shuts you out of your game.

2. When the system recognizes that you're offline an in-game timer starts that the system can keep running and save the progress there of without fear of reset or manipulation through the system clock. You may be able to game "for up to 24 hours" (regardless of whether or not they're consecutive hours) after which you get the boot. That's at least two Halo campaigns before online requirements become an issue.

If the former, well that's more than Steam gives you. If the latter then this is the biggest, whiniest, most self-degrading load of hot air ever to come out of any internet subcommunity.
most gamers don't play there games for a whole day.
No. They want you to connect every 24 hours to ensure your software or hardware has not been manipulated and that you are on the up and up. This is to assuage all the hacking and modding that happened in the last two generations.

Ex: You get off work and turn on your console , if you haven't turned it on in 48 hrs , The One will attempt to make an hand shake with your ISP. If the handshake fails you are locked out of YOUR library. If your software or hardware glitches and sends suspicious information there is no telling what will happen. Possible ban , bricking or any other med-evil punishment they choose to enact. For 500$ they take a lot of liberties with MY console.
Quote:
No. They want you to connect every 24 hours to ensure your software or hardware has not been manipulated and that you are on the up and up. This is to assuage all the hacking and modding that happened in the last two generations.

Ex: You get off work and turn on your console , if you haven't turned it on in 48 hrs , The One will attempt to make an hand shake with your ISP. If the handshake fails you are locked out of YOUR library. If your software or hardware glitches and sends suspicious information there is no telling what will happen. Possible ban , bricking or any other med-evil punishment they choose to enact. For 500$ they take a lot of liberties with MY console.
-Yoink-. Hacking and Modding weren't serious issues on the xbox 360 last generation. Yes, it happened, but MS never seemed to loose anything substantial enough to call for wide changes to the system or XBL nor have I seen any data that might support you. Furthermore, Steam takes the same liberties with YOUR computer. Sign in without an internet connection and you can't even access "your" software, let alone "your" games (for them it's entirely about DRM.) "Your" MMO's, and other of "your" online games are under the same restrictions too, but for somewhat different reasons.

You: "Can't I just toodle around Hoth in SWTOR without an internet connection?"

Bioware: "No, our game isn't mean to be played like that. You don't have access to the core features around which we're trying to sell the game and in just about every way you're having a crap experience."

It's not about sticking it to modders, it's about making modern games work (notice how the date isn't 1992 and things like the internet have become very important to gaming) And guess what, The Division, Titanfall, Destiny, Warhammer 40k: the Eternal Crusade there are a LOT of MMO's coming to the xbox one and FURTHERMORE those games that fall under more traditional categories (Forza, Halo, COD) are becoming increasingly integrated with online features (see. Forza's AI.) It's how the system should be played and just as Microsoft makes other restrictions (ex. having a minimum connection speed) they're setting a basic minimum for connectivity so you're playing their system and services in the best possible way, considering it's tech, features, and overall design.
Quote:
most gamers don't play there games for a whole day.
Exactly. If the system is just subtracting times from the clock you're almost assuredly locking them out in less time than 24 hours unless the internet outage occurred while they were playing. The "up to 24" part of the original blog post might be trying to indicate that but it actually seems to me a bit of a stretch, linguistically. That's why I'm starting to think that the second option outlined above is how they intend doing this. You have 24 hours to play your games, not 24 hours in which to play.
Quote:
It's not about sticking it to modders, it's about making modern games work (notice how the date isn't 1992 and things like the internet have become very important to gaming) And guess what, The Division, Titanfall, Destiny, Warhammer 40k: the Eternal Crusade there are a LOT of MMO's coming to the xbox one and FURTHERMORE those games that fall under more traditional categories (Forza, Halo, COD) are becoming increasingly integrated with online features (see. Forza's AI.) It's how the system should be played and just as Microsoft makes other restrictions (ex. having a minimum connection speed) they're setting a basic minimum for connectivity so you're playing their system and services in the best possible way, considering it's tech, features, and overall design.
I think part of it is definitely to try and reduce piracy. (But I'm expecting an always-offline mod to surface very quickly, anyways.) But what you're saying is the flip side of the coin that not a lot of people are seeing. If the always-online thing isn't a huge issue for you, it means that developers can plan and integrate more internet-dependent features because they know their customers will HAVE to have an internet connection. Combine that with the minimum connection speed, (albeit not terribly high) and, for people with a constant connection, the experience really has improved.

It's a double-edged sword, really, and the way they're approaching it isn't helping. But as I read in an article the other day, the PS4 is appealing to the here and now, while the Xbox One is preparing for the future. And as much as it sucks to hear, yes, this console was designed for people with a strong, or atleast stable, internet connection, and no one else.
Quote:
I agree and here's the official post.

Quote:
With Xbox One you can game offline for up to 24 hours on your primary console, or one hour if you are logged on to a separate console accessing your library. Offline gaming is not possible after these prescribed times until you re-establish a connection, but you can still watch live TV and enjoy Blu-ray and DVD movies.
Microsoft's responses to the internet connection criticism are awful:
Quote:
"Fortunately we have a product for people who aren't able to get some form of connectivity," Mattrick said. "It's called Xbox 360."
If you have an iffy internet connection, Microsoft gives you these options:

1. Don't buy an Xbox One.
2. Turn your $500 Xbox One into a $50 Blu-Ray player.

The consumer market is understandably underwhelmed by Microsoft's always on-line policy.
What happens if you move to a different city and have a completely different ISP from the last time you logged in?
The reason why there are 24 hour checks is so you don't install the same game onto different consoles. The market would crash that way.

Microsoft could make a 'disc required' thing for offline play though.
Quote:
What happens if you move to a different city and have a completely different ISP from the last time you logged in?
Who knows? It's pretty clear that the details of the online requirement haven't been thoroughly flushed out. I think we won't fully understand how the Xbox One works until its released.
I hate to break it to you guys but XBox ONE isn't gonna make it cause I'm now hearing bad rumors and Youtube video that XBox ONE won't be playable in other countries or states. For example, if you are in the army and are over seas you CAN'T play XBox ONE. If you live say in Australia which one of my friends does and I have to say he has not good connection, you CAN'T play XBox ONE. So if your connection really sucks so bad, you can't play XBox ONE period because Microsoft wants you to be on the XB1 24/7.

XBox ONE will not be supported in countries.

Worth investigating guys I would look everywhere online to find out if this is true because if it is, I think people are gonna be pretty pissed off at Microsoft.
I would take that with a grain of salt, at this point people will believe anything negative on the xbox one.
Quote:
The consumer market is understandably underwhelmed by Microsoft's always on-line policy.
The consumer market as defined by that minority of people (to whom Microsoft is trying to sell a console) that don't have access to broadband. Time and time again a sense of proportion is lacking in those arguments brought to bear against the xbox one. "I won't support gaming that's always online!" Yah, what about Steam. My ISP went down last night (a very infrequent event by the way and I'm working off a rural connection from a very cheap and local ISP) and though an Xbox One would NOT have been effected my PC was essentially bricked. There's already precedence for this sort of policy but because Microsoft is in the public eye (whereas existing restrictions have been a lot more subtle) it's a bad thing. What does that tell you about the reason why the "consumer market" (that small fraction of it who may be effected by these policies) is unhappy? Is it about always online? No, because of potential offenders that one could cry about Microsoft is by far one of the least offensive. Once in 24 hours. Really, once in 24 hours. In all my years of having broadband there are perhaps only TWO events where that would brick my console.

And for that horrendous breach of consumer trust I'll be getting with the xbox one some pretty damn fine features that actually try to set the tone of a next generation console rather than appealing to the old standards. That's is what this is about, not "my internet is down 9 days out of 10, I can't play the xbox one!", it's simply about resisting change. Sony is providing a nice helping of 2005 wrapped in the finery of more modern graphics technology while Microsoft is dragging the industry, kicking and screaming, into this decade. You (generalizing) may try to find whatever excuse you can to live in the past but one way or another the wonderful new world of the internet will seep into the very heart of console gaming, either through the Xbox One or by Sony copying their competition as per usual.

So, deal with it (as you've certainly dealt with it before.) Modern devices of all kinds expect connectivity and its high time our little segment of the entertainment industry catches on, because it will be awesome.
Quote:
So if your connection really sucks so bad, you can't play XBox ONE period because Microsoft wants you to be on the XB1 24/7.
No they don't.

Quote:
XBox ONE will not be supported in countries.
Which works out to be "if you're country doesn't have Xbox Live you can't use a console that requires it." Should not be news to anyone.
You see Duncan the problem is , I don't do steam , or pc gaming. I am strictly a console gamer. When I was a pc gamer I was still able to install and play any game I bought to MY pc and internet or not MY pc would run it. I don't play MMO games , I don't have the time.

No I am not resistant to change , in life it is the only constant. What I am against , is a company telling me what I can and cannot do with my purchase. I agree that the Xbox one is most likely pushing consoles into the future and thanks to the cloud , it will get progressively better. However until the US infrastructure , (lots of areas have problems getting or supporting broad band internet [I say US because they are a US company. No offense intended to any one]) , is able to support this kind of console I have to disagree with the marketing strategy. They are alienating part of their consumer base.

Just so you know , I plan to buy Destiny. Yes I know it requires an internet connection to play. But the console I will be playing it on won't. So if for some reason I am with out my connection i can stil choose to play other games , not have the choice taken from me.
Quote:
Quote:
Who knows? It's pretty clear that the details of the online requirement haven't been thoroughly flushed out. I think we won't fully understand how the Xbox One works until its released.
Well if they can't give us straight and to the point answers then why should we buy their console? They cancelled the Q&A at E3 where yes, they would've no doubt faced some difficult questions but they could've also achieved some good by clearing up questions like this.

But nah, for Microsoft it's better to stand around with your head buried in the sand until launch. At least that's the impression they're giving.

I currently have the Xbox One pre-ordered because I've been with Xbox for years. If I don't hear anything good between now and launch then I'm going to cancel it.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Well if they can't give us straight and to the point answers then why should we buy their console? They cancelled the Q&A at E3 where yes, they would've no doubt faced some difficult questions but they could've also achieved some good by clearing up questions like this.

But nah, for Microsoft it's better to stand around with your head buried in the sand until launch. At least that's the impression they're giving.

I currently have the Xbox One pre-ordered because I've been with Xbox for years. If I don't hear anything good between now and launch then I'm going to cancel it.
Cloud storage, Cloud sharing, Dedicated servers, are these not features to care about? This is where all the money you payed for live is being invested. Does a 24hr check-in really make those not worth while? What has you so down on the xbox right now?