Forums / Community / General Discussion

An FPS MMO RPG Open World Halo Game.

OP Ranger13743

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
Go To Iconic Locations, Meet Franchise Characters or Get your Game on in Arena or Warzone! Now with The Revolutionary Never previously attempted System, Halo-Verse.
An Halo FPS and RPG game in one? How would you even do that?
Iv played destiny. I'll pass.
An open world Halo RPG could be really good, but it would be walking a tight-rope. Player decisions have to matter, but on the scale of the overall story, the implications of the player's decisions has to be limited to maintain a coherent narrative.

The idea I've presented before is that the player is a crewman on a ship (Not a Spartan, not the captain, just a crewman so you have upward mobility rather than starting at the top). A malfunctioning Forerunner Shield World attempts to pull the ship inside, but the door doesn't open and as a result the ship is just smashed into it, leaving the surviving crew to learn what they can and explore the outside surface of this shield world. Other ships would have crashed before, and the settlements from those crews would function as cities. This would offer great oportunity to see how Innies and the various Covenant races conduct themselves in day-to-day life (ex: Brutes probably started eating the Grunts from their ship, so the rest of the Grunts stole some weapons and food and fled, and when they encounter the player-character, they ask for help taking their ship from the Brutes, because the Grunts need the Methane inside it to survive. And being an open world RPG, there would be the option to double-cross the Grunts and help the Brutes lay a trap for them, each option giving different rewards).

Over-all, the player's decisions could make a huge impact on the setting of the game, without the influence of those decision causing any difficulties to keeping the lore coherent for the rest of the franchise.

I'm personally not a fan of MMOs, but this concept would work as one of those as well.
It sounds like A Great Idea
well you have Destiny, then Destiny 2 releases in about a month, and then Anthem comes out next year
Great, but it's got to be multiplayer as well and you should be allowed to play as humans, elites, brutes, and prometheans.
FPS/MMO/RPG. This exact combo makes me think of Destiny. I don't think that Halo is compatable with this setup. You see, what makes this combination possible is a loot and progression system, being able to earn a weapon from one activity, then being able to use it anywhere, and unlocking new abilities with different classes. These don't fit with Halo because people play Halo to have a tactical shooter where people start as equals. People want to start with the same weapons in Halo so it's a fair fight, it's one of the reasons why Halo 5 is what it is, so there couldn't be a loot system like that of an MMO. This desire for equal starts would prohibit implementing classes and abilities, which are necessary for a game to be classified as an RPG in the first place.

Now, if 343 were to make some kind of spinoff game about this, then I could see it working. Otherwise, it would just alienate the fans who enjoy arena gameplay.
Open Halo would be nice...but not sure RPG elements would be a good idea...I remember Bungie trying this with Destiny and it just made there PVP become an unbalanced mess.
We may not get an open world but we should get bigger campaigns since 4,5 were too linear and Halo should have big maps for exploring while encouraging vehicle combat.
Halo MMO could work you would have all the armor types with them doing different things, larger shields, more speed, jumping higher, and we could have all the guns we have now but with added attachments like, scope, extended mag, ext. You could also still have classic halo PvP modes where your gear doesn't matter for stats and all that.
I think the ONI front would be of more benefit to a story like this. Just consider ODST. While it stayed absolutely true to the fundamental FPS experience, it has been coined by many as the best organic offshoot, of the traditional set-up. Picture an ONI double agent working within a rebel insurrectionist group that has several cells spread across planets. You would be working to undermine such a rebel front, but at the same time connecting with other double agents across the galaxy. This would be the perfect time to give a gritty feel to contrast the lightness of the current franchise T rating. It could 343s very own Halo 3: ODST. Halo: ONI. Picture the cover art with the Office of Naval Intelligence symbol. Just thinking about this right now, I almost feel as if this is something that is very viable.
My thoughts on this topic are slightly complicated. I believe this could be done and could sell lots of copies, but I'm not sure you can just take all the Halo 5 mechanics and make it open world. There has to be a lot of changes, such as a higher ammo capacity or unlimited ammo. Faster movement speed would be good, too. And a fast travel system/ mode of transportation.
Hahaha, I had this idea back after halo 2 came out and sent an email with a very detailed description to bungie (owner of halo then) and they told me they had something in the works that I would be able to take part in ( destiny ), lol but yea halo needs an open world Mmorpg.
The problem with that is that PvP would be completely unbalanced, and we all know how well people received unbalanced-ness in Halo PvP before.
Sarge5693 wrote:
Hahaha, I had this idea back after halo 2 came out and sent an email with a very detailed description to bungie (owner of halo then) and they told me they had something in the works that I would be able to take part in ( destiny ), lol but yea halo needs an open world Mmorpg.
Could be fun xP they could even have boss encounters and character lvl system, just like in World of Warcraft haha xD
Ask Bungie :)
l Masko l wrote:
Ehh, destiny has very minor RPG elements to it, it's very weak in that department that I'd just classify destiny as a shared world shooter more than anything.
l Masko l wrote:
Ehh, destiny has very minor RPG elements to it, it's very weak in that department that I'd just classify destiny as a shared world shooter more than anything.
True stuff.
I was just joking :)
Its called destiny lol
See Fallot Franchise.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2