Skip to main content

Forums / Community / General Discussion

Any Changes in Feelings?

OP Ir0nCobrA98

After having played all the halos on the mcc for a long time and having had a fun time doing so I have started to compare how i felt about the mp gameplay and gameplay in general from how they felt playing on console and pc. to be honest i am liking the halo 4 mp gameplay and feel a lot more than i did before and it got me thinking about if anyone else has had a similar change in how they feel about any of the halos. have you started to be more open to the variety between games or do you still feel the same as you have?
I still feel the same. I'm like a hermit, I stick to where I'm comfortable and what I know, in this case Halo Reach multiplayer only.
I still feel the same. I'm like a hermit, I stick to where I'm comfortable and what I know, in this case Halo Reach multiplayer only.
So would you say you've changed your mind on the others at all? For me it depends on my mood but I'm enjoying h4 a lot more than I thought
So would you say you've changed your mind on the others at all? For me it depends on my mood but I'm enjoying h4 a lot more than I thought
No not at all. I still love the stories/campaigns of CE, 2, 3 and ODST, and don't really enjoy their multiplayers, and still greatly dislike Halo 4 in all ways.
I've never really had too much interaction with the multiplayers prior to a few months ago, since I never had XBL, and as such was limited to the Campaign's until I got my PC, so I don't have any real bias against any of the multiplayer aspects (other then being horrible at H3 Multiplayer because I don't know how to lead my shots for ranged weapons). All that's really changed in terms of opinions is that I've gained a higher liking of ODST, as when I was younger I never really 'got' ODST like I do now. Plus I understand and enjoy the entire franchise in general more, partially nostalgia, partially a better capacity to understand the story, unlike when I was younger, and a bit of an idiot in terms of storytelling.
The more I play H4 (both campaign and MP), the more pity I feel for it. The game could have been so much more but it ultimately wasn't. It was a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity for 343 to both firmly establish themselves as a respected developer and set a solid course for Halo itself, but they lost it. What makes me truely painful is I think H4 legitimately has so many brilliant aspects(so I can't comfortably trash it like a truly terrible game), but was on the other hand let down by lots of awful designs(so I can't fully embrace it despite my desire to either). To me the game is an extremely polarized mix of good and bad, which consequently makes me both love and hate the game.
The more I play H4 (both campaign and MP), the more pity I feel for it. The game could have been so much more but it ultimately wasn't. It was a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity for 343 to both firmly establish themselves as a respected developer and set a solid course for Halo itself, but they lost it. What makes me truely painful is I think H4 legitimately has so many brilliant aspects(so I can't comfortably trash it like a truly terrible game), but was on the other hand let down by lots of awful designs(so I can't fully embrace it despite my desire to either). To me the game is an extremely polarized mix of good and bad, which consequently makes me both love and hate the game.
As someone who didn't read the books the first time around it did feel a little off. But after it felt better once I knew a lot more which kind of is a double edge issue on one hand you have people who did read them getting it and liking it and people who just know the games feeling very out of place. If they would have kept the visuals similar and trickle in a few new things gameplay wise it would be better. I like the supply upgrade things in mp it makes it feel like your character is like the demo guy or vehicle guy. But the starting weapons feels off. I think there are some cool things to appreciate
I love the Halo 4 campaign. It's brilliant.

Spartan Ops is a boring slog - IMO the weakest part of the game.

The multiplayer is honestly pretty damn good. The worst thing about it though is just honestly how jarring it is when put on the backdrop of the other games. Even Reach, with its bloom and armor abilities, still feels like the same multiplayer universe as Halos 1-3 as far as art style and overall gameplay goes.

Halo 4 just seems like a completely different game. It's not a bad thing, I like the multiplayer - it's just so vastly different from the previous one - and that's what turned off a lot of the gamers when it first launched.

I remember launch week for that game, there were well over 1 million people playing Halo 4 multiplayer at several points in time. It was amazing. Then, Black Ops II launched a week later and gamers just straight up dropped Halo 4. But that one week was amazing.
As someone who didn't read the books the first time around it did feel a little off. But after it felt better once I knew a lot more which kind of is a double edge issue on one hand you have people who did read them getting it and liking it and people who just know the games feeling very out of place. If they would have kept the visuals similar and trickle in a few new things gameplay wise it would be better. I like the supply upgrade things in mp it makes it feel like your character is like the demo guy or vehicle guy. But the starting weapons feels off. I think there are some cool things to appreciate
Well in terms of external reliance H4 is not bad, I think (MUCH better than H5's giant mess, and arguably better than H2, since H4 directly picked up H3's trail whereas H2 had a huge narrative jump after H1 that not even First Strike fully covered). The Forerunner part was definitely harder to understand, but was well-explained enough in the terminals (though most people will miss it by design). Originally H4 also had a "Terminal 0" introducing the Storm(ommited from MCC, which is not H4's fault). So strictly speaking, H4's campaign is a fairly self-contained one. Some of my major complaints:
  • The weapon sounds, vehicle sounds, enemy dialog sounds etc. are all so high-pitched that they are outright painful, especially when using headphones. I have to take breaks every 20 minutues or so thanks to the non-stop screeches.
  • Health concerns aside, weapon and vehicle sounds share similar tones. They and Covenant dialog sounds have much less distinction than their classic counterparts, lowering the player's situational awareness, therefore hindering their ability to choose and decide, ultimately replacing fun with frustration.
  • Which some visual designs further worsen. The new Storm Rifle looks like the Carbine, the new Beam Rifle looks like Reach's Focus Rifle despite working like the classic Beam Rifle, Forerunner encounters are blasts of orange and silver, some helmeted Jackals look like mini Elites...I'm all for style changes, but why do it at the cost of functionality?
  • Not to mention drastically changing the anatomy of Covenant species doesn't even make sense from a lore perspective. Changing their equipment is natural, changing their bodies then slap some "different sub-species canon" excuses to it is just stupid.
  • Promethean designs are rather weak. Copycat weapons, furious combat experiences, appearances not my flavor, at least.
  • Spartan Ops, of course.
  • The Loadout-based MP is like, they tried to make it about roles/classes working together, but they actually didn't, making it just an equipment selection menu on top of the classic symmetrical system. I'd rather they keep the classic MP intact and offer an actually dedicated class-based MP type in parallel.
I can't help but feel that H4 is a half-baked package in terms of content. For each and every step forward you can almost certainly find another thing that went backward. Oh, and whoever up high decided to make H4 a 360 title should be held responsible too. I don't believe when Frank O'Connor said Spartan Ops was going to offer years of content, he and the team seriously trusted the 360 to keep rocking that long. Had it been developed as a native XB1 game, things might have turned out much better.
In fact yes. Recently I have acquired a new appreciation of H4 and a new disdain for CE. CE’s multiplayer is not entertaining to me, and it’s campaign is rather blah. The level layouts get confusing, and it’s easy to spend an hour on one level trying to navigate through.
I used to hate 4’s campaign and multiplayer, but I love its multiplayer now and may not enjoy the campaign, but I have a respect for it now that hasn’t been there before.
In fact yes. Recently I have acquired a new appreciation of H4 and a new disdain for CE. CE’s multiplayer is not entertaining to me, and it’s campaign is rather blah. The level layouts get confusing, and it’s easy to spend an hour on one level trying to navigate through.
I used to hate 4’s campaign and multiplayer, but I love its multiplayer now and may not enjoy the campaign, but I have a respect for it now that hasn’t been there before.
What levels do you mean? I used to get lost in 343 guilty spark and keyes. I like the gameplay of ce because it was made in a time where balance wasn't a thing in games really like oh lets make a super strong pistol a 60 shot ar and a 12 shot (i think) shotgun wooo. I love how it is just made to be fun not an esport
I havn't updated MCC yet, but in the latest Halo 4 flight Halo 4 felt very different on Xbox from what it has always felt before, felt like I was playing on PC with an xbox controler, idk it was weird. I just hope they fixed it before the update.

I use universal Z&S controls, which includes holding scope rather than tapping it, but in the flight you had to hold it down almost a whole second for the game to actually register it as a "hold", if I held it shorter periods (which I do a lot while playing) the game registered it as a tapp and kept me scoped in after releasing (for boh games in the flight).
My internet is bad so I can't update atm, anyone using Z&S who can confirm if it was like this after the actual update?
What levels do you mean? I used to get lost in 343 guilty spark and keyes. I like the gameplay of ce because it was made in a time where balance wasn't a thing in games really like oh lets make a super strong pistol a 60 shot ar and a 12 shot (i think) shotgun wooo. I love how it is just made to be fun not an esport
Ah, well I prefer balance (while I do get a certain enjoyment out of sniping my friends with a shotgun).

It was most all of them that I ended up getting lost in. Even ones that had arrows pointing where you were supposed to go. The levels seemed way too complicated at times for such simplistic gameplay. Specifically the ones that gave me a hard time were “Halo,” “Assault on the Control Room,” “343 Guilty Spark,” and “Keyes.”
I like The Library, and despise Truth and Reconciliation with a passion. That level can rot for all I care, worst level in any halo game.
ODST has become my favorite campaign, I like Halo 3 mp a lot less than I used to and I generally have fun in all of the mp besides 3, but I find it impossible to actually say one of them is my favorite.
I feel like there isn't a big enough playerbase that plays every game. I run into sweaties that have been playing the game longer than I have at this point and try their hardest to be saltlords. I just want to chill, I dont want to deal with people who camp behind snowbounds shields with shotguns and refuse to do any real duels.

I've realized that CE multiplayer spawns are unbearable a lot of the times, and that the magnum is inaccurate, which is more infuriating than bloom.

FOV on 3 is terrible, why cant we get a higher FOV yet?

Reach is so weird, it doesnt know whether it wants to be slow or fast paced imo. It has armor lock that stalls combat, sprint to move fast. Bloom works on the DMR but not so much on other weapons, however, it does allow the assult rifle and other weapons to burst with more accuracy for long range though.
Yo aun sigo sintiendo lo mismo