Forums / Community / General Discussion

Apex killing Halo even more?!

OP ShotAces

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
There’s no denying that Halo is dying. (I can hear the angry keyboard clicks from here.) No no. I’m not saying it’s dead, but it is dying. Just look at its twitch viewership. I don’t want it to die just as much as you do, but is Apex killing it faster?

I know I shouldn’t be only looking at Twitch viewership to determine if a game is dead or not, but it’s got to be at least a baseline. Before Apex, MCC was getting roughly 700-1000 live viewers during peak watching times 5-10pm est. now that Apex is out, it can barely hit 500. Popular streamers such as UberNick, Roy, and most of all Snip3down are now steaming Apex more and more and streaming MCC/Halo less and less. Does anyone else see this trend? Am I just in my own bubble?
You shouldn’t be looking at streaming numbers to determine a game’s population period. Games are first and foremost meant to be played. Streamers will always choose the most popular games to get more viewership, but that definitely doesn’t determine whether or not other games have enough players. Look at relevant sources like this.
tuhin94 wrote:
You shouldn’t be looking at streaming numbers to determine a game’s population period. Games are first and foremost meant to be played. Streamers will always choose the most popular games to get more viewership, but that definitely doesn’t determine whether or not other games have enough players. Look at relevant sources like this.
Ok, I would’ve quoted the link you gave me if I was able to find it, but that link proves my point even more.
Yeah, Halo isn't dying or going anywhere soon. As for Apex, it's garbage, just like all the other out there in my opinion.
Apex's popularity is only temporary, it will soon get kicked down back down by Fortnite, which will soon get kicked down by BR's loss in popularity. Also, why does everyone say this about old video game series that aren't SUPER ULTRA MEGA POPULAR like they were 10 years ago? Halo is still doing well, it always has. Microsoft is making a new event for the series, a new game in the series is coming out (one we might be able to play sooner then we think). The series is not dying, people need to stop saying stuff like this when a series isn't even close to being dead. Halo is a popular franchise that people will always play and talk about, it doesn't need to sell 100 million copys and reach 100 million viewers on any stream that streams Halo. I know you never talked about some of the stuff i said, but it just seems like people always say this dead stuff about any series like Halo.
ShotAces wrote:
tuhin94 wrote:
Ok, I would’ve quoted the link you gave me if I was able to find it, but that link proves my point even more.
Actually, no it doesn't. Halo 5 is on that list of most played games (unless my eyes aren't screwed on tight).
We also have to remember that the most recent main series title from Halo came out in 2015. The fact that it is the 31st (If I’m looking at the link above correctly) most played game in 2019 is astounding, and shows the dedicated fan base the series has. Not to mention the fact that the MCC and Halo 5 are in the top 50 at the same time
ShotAces wrote:
tuhin94 wrote:
Actually, no it doesn't. Halo 5 is on that list of most played games (unless my eyes aren't screwed on tight).
Yeah,but it's very low on that list
ShotAces wrote:
tuhin94 wrote:
So? Its still on the list, does that mean that any game that isn't on the list is completely dead? Besides, its in the top 50 which really isn't that low. That's great for a game that released in 2015 and great for a game in general.
ShotAces wrote:
tuhin94 wrote:
So? Its still on the list, does that mean that any game that isn't on the list is completely dead?
Compared to the numbers halo used to pull it is
ShotAces wrote:
tuhin94 wrote:
So? Its still on the list, does that mean that any game that isn't on the list is completely dead?
That makes no sense, the series is dying because its not pulling the numbers it used to pull? So, lets say, a game is doing as well as Halo 5 is right now. But it never had high highs like Halo 3, its just a normal game that's doing very well. Its next game in its series becomes really popular for a short time, then it goes back down again. The game is dying now because its not currently as popular even though it was doing just fine before...like what?
ShotAces wrote:
tuhin94 wrote:
That makes no sense, the series is dying because its not pulling the numbers it used to pull? So, lets say, a game is doing as well as Halo 5 is right now. But it never had high highs like Halo 3, its just a normal game that's doing very well. Its next game in its series becomes really popular for a short time, then it goes back down again. The game is dying now because its not currently as popular even though it was doing just fine before...like what?
How does it make no sense? Halo 4 lost 90 percent of its playerbase within 3 months and halo 5 was if I remember correctly the lowest selling mainline halo game.This game has at most 30 thousand people playing it Compare that to how well halo 2 and 3 and even reach did when it came to a consistent population.This franchise has unfortunately been on the decline for awhile now,this franchise used to have hundreds of thousands of players online at one time and cant even get past a tenth of that now
ShotAces wrote:
tuhin94 wrote:
How does it make no sense? Halo 4 lost 90 percent of its playerbase within 3 months and halo 5 was if I remember correctly the lowest selling mainline halo game.This game has at most 30 thousand people playing it Compare that to how well halo 2 and 3 and even reach did when it came to a consistent population.This franchise has unfortunately been on the decline for awhile now,this franchise used to have hundreds of thousands of players online at one time and cant even get past a tenth of that now
It is in a decline, sure. But that doesn't mean its dying, Halo is doing fine, if not great for most games. Halo isn't in any danger, even if it has lost some of its luster. The series has been bringing people back in thanks to Infinite, MCC's updates and great support for the series from Microsoft. This "Decline" won't last forever.
ShotAces wrote:
tuhin94 wrote:
It is in a decline, sure. But that doesn't mean its dying, Halo is doing fine, if not great for most games. Halo isn't in any danger, even if it has lost some of its luster. The series has been bringing people back in thanks to Infinite, MCC's updates and great support for the series from Microsoft. This "Decline" won't last forever.
Been on the decline for like 6 years though
Halo has never had good Twitch numbers outside of a tournament. Ninja who was the biggest Halo streamer usually pulled an average of 500-1200 viewers and then 2-3K during special events during Reach and H4. A new game coming out and taking streamers away is nothing new, but it's not indicative of a game dying. I think Halo will have small fluctuations in population when a new game comes out, but the people still playing it are the ones who are going to play it no matter what and so there will always be a steady population even if it's not very big. Those streamers playing Apex who mainly play Halo like Snipedown for example will eventually come back to Halo.
Apex's popularity is only temporary, it will soon get kicked down back down by Fortnite, which will soon get kicked down by BR's loss in popularity. Also, why does everyone say this about old video game series that aren't SUPER ULTRA MEGA POPULAR like they were 10 years ago? Halo is still doing well, it always has. Microsoft is making a new event for the series, a new game in the series is coming out (one we might be able to play sooner then we think). The series is not dying, people need to stop saying stuff like this when a series isn't even close to being dead. Halo is a popular franchise that people will always play and talk about, it doesn't need to sell 100 million copys and reach 100 million viewers on any stream that streams Halo. I know you never talked about some of the stuff i said, but it just seems like people always say this dead stuff about any series like Halo.
If you think about it for an 18 year old game (CE) or 10 (H3), wrapped within the MCC, I think it's doing rather well. Throw H5 in there, multiplayer, its simply in between things.

What will be the dominant Twitch content the weeks after Infinite's release, I'm pretty sure it will be Infinite.

As others have mentioned, a lot of Twitch broadcasters are trying to make a living so they are naturally going to stream the current flavor of the week. Nor can I blame anyone for wanting to try something different, either story or mechanics.

Cheers,
Brad
ShotAces wrote:
tuhin94 wrote:
Your point?
ShotAces wrote:
tuhin94 wrote:
Your point?
How is the decline not going to last forever? Halo was at it's most popular with the classic gameplay and since they've drifted away from that it will continue to decline or maintain the numbers they have right now
It's going to get bogged down with more games that come out🤷

The viewership hasn't been impressive for Halo since its MLG days as well and that goes back to H3-HR.
ShotAces wrote:
tuhin94 wrote:
Your point?
How is the decline not going to last forever? Halo was at it's most popular with the classic gameplay and since they've drifted away from that it will continue to decline or maintain the numbers they have right now
Nothing lasts forever, I suggest not worrying about it and playing what you want rather than worrying about how popular your favorite game franchise is.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2