Forums / Community / General Discussion

Apex killing Halo even more?!

OP ShotAces

  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
ShotAces wrote:
tuhin94 wrote:
You shouldn’t be looking at streaming numbers to determine a game’s population period. Games are first and foremost meant to be played. Streamers will always choose the most popular games to get more viewership, but that definitely doesn’t determine whether or not other games have enough players. Look at relevant sources like this.
Ok, I would’ve quoted the link you gave me if I was able to find it, but that link proves my point even more.
Actually, no it doesn't. Halo 5 is on that list of most played games (unless my eyes aren't screwed on tight).
Yeah,but it's very low on that list
So? Its still on the list, does that mean that any game that isn't on the list is completely dead?
Compared to the numbers halo used to pull it is
That makes no sense, the series is dying because its not pulling the numbers it used to pull? So, lets say, a game is doing as well as Halo 5 is right now. But it never had high highs like Halo 3, its just a normal game that's doing very well. Its next game in its series becomes really popular for a short time, then it goes back down again. The game is dying now because its not currently as popular even though it was doing just fine before...like what?
How does it make no sense? Halo 4 lost 90 percent of its playerbase within 3 months and halo 5 was if I remember correctly the lowest selling mainline halo game.This game has at most 30 thousand people playing it Compare that to how well halo 2 and 3 and even reach did when it came to a consistent population.This franchise has unfortunately been on the decline for awhile now,this franchise used to have hundreds of thousands of players online at one time and cant even get past a tenth of that now
It is in a decline, sure. But that doesn't mean its dying, Halo is doing fine, if not great for most games. Halo isn't in any danger, even if it has lost some of its luster. The series has been bringing people back in thanks to Infinite, MCC's updates and great support for the series from Microsoft. This "Decline" won't last forever.
Been on the decline for like 6 years though
Your point?
How is the decline not going to last forever? Halo was at it's most popular with the classic gameplay and since they've drifted away from that it will continue to decline or maintain the numbers they have right now
Nothing lasts forever, I suggest not worrying about it and playing what you want rather than worrying about how popular your favorite game franchise is.
It's not my main concern, but it should still be in peoples minds
No game has ever caused Halo to decline. Halo caused Halo to decline. As soon as 343 puts out a game that is loved by the majority like the original trilogy was then you’ll see a reemergence of Halo once again.
Halo 5 was, by far and away, the most financially successful Halo in the series history. Definitely not dying from a business case perspective.

I prefer 'cosmetic only' micro-transactions to DLC map packs 10 times over. I have purchased every DLC map pack in Halo's history, and finding a game on them is nearly impossible most the time (all players have to own them). It makes a lot more money, too.

Halo will not die, I think it will build population once HI is released. Most games 'die down' a bit after over 3 years. It will be fine (:
That's just how the industry works. There's always those groups of people that play one game specifically but the majority of people who play multiplayer shooters hop games a lot. I mean even Fortnite is taking a hit from Apex, it's only natural Halo would too. As new, good games come out, old games' player bases slowly get chipped at.
Honestly, people weren't saying this when Fortnite came out. People don't play Halo for a battle royale. I honestly want Apex to stay on top, I like Respawn and more money means maybe more Titanfall. We have to remember this will be the longest gap between Halo's, so it may feel dead since we have never seen something like this before.
ShotAces wrote:
There’s no denying that Halo is dying. (I can hear the angry keyboard clicks from here.) No no. I’m not saying it’s dead, but it is dying. Just look at its twitch viewership. I don’t want it to die just as much as you do, but is Apex killing it faster?

I know I shouldn’t be only looking at Twitch viewership to determine if a game is dead or not, but it’s got to be at least a baseline. Before Apex, MCC was getting roughly 700-1000 live viewers during peak watching times 5-10pm est. now that Apex is out, it can barely hit 500. Popular streamers such as UberNick, Roy, and most of all Snip3down are now steaming Apex more and more and streaming MCC/Halo less and less. Does anyone else see this trend? Am I just in my own bubble?
You have to remember that battle royale is the go-to nr.1 franchise these days. It's more popular to view than old fashioned 4v4 slayer games in Halo.

Apex is new and popular, so was Fortnite when it came out and PUBG before that. The reason they switch to streaming a new game, is because they're trying something new and they know it's where the viewers are at.
tuhin94 wrote:
You shouldn’t be looking at streaming numbers to determine a game’s population period. Games are first and foremost meant to be played. Streamers will always choose the most popular games to get more viewership, but that definitely doesn’t determine whether or not other games have enough players. Look at relevant sources like this.
Very inciteful, everyone should look into this link.

I don't think it's accurate by any means. But always good to cross reference data from other areas and not just streaming platforms.
Just wait, right after the E3 announcement that Halo Infinite drops this year everyone will be back on Halo 5 sharpening up their skills.
Just wait, right after the E3 announcement that Halo Infinite drops this year everyone will be back on Halo 5 sharpening up their skills.
I don't think Halo 6 will drop this year, but we will likely be informed of the games release date at E3 and maybe some gameplay footage and/or a beta.
no it isn't don't base how well a series is doing based solely on twitch streams. the reason it might have seemed to be dying before was because of this big drought in content, but now with outpost discovery, the new map to hw2, renegades, and many anticipating some kind of trailer or news for infinite at E3, I think halo has a franchise is starting to pull itself back up a little.

J Teeps wrote:
Halo 5 was, by far and away, the most financially successful Halo in the series history. Definitely not dying from a business case perspective.

I prefer 'cosmetic only' micro-transactions to DLC map packs 10 times over. I have purchased every DLC map pack in Halo's history, and finding a game on them is nearly impossible most the time (all players have to own them). It makes a lot more money, too.

Halo will not die, I think it will build population once HI is released. Most games 'die down' a bit after over 3 years. It will be fine (:
correct me if I'm wrong but didn't halo 5 have the lowest number of sales out of all the halo games?
no it isn't don't base how well a series is doing based solely on twitch streams. the reason it might have seemed to be dying before was because of this big drought in content, but now with outpost discovery, the new map to hw2, renegades, and many anticipating some kind of trailer or news for infinite at E3, I think halo has a franchise is starting to pull itself back up a little.

J Teeps wrote:
Halo 5 was, by far and away, the most financially successful Halo in the series history. Definitely not dying from a business case perspective.

I prefer 'cosmetic only' micro-transactions to DLC map packs 10 times over. I have purchased every DLC map pack in Halo's history, and finding a game on them is nearly impossible most the time (all players have to own them). It makes a lot more money, too.

Halo will not die, I think it will build population once HI is released. Most games 'die down' a bit after over 3 years. It will be fine (:
correct me if I'm wrong but didn't halo 5 have the lowest number of sales out of all the halo games?
It had the lowest sales (of the FPS games), but it made the most money because of the microtransactions.
ShotAces wrote:
no it isn't don't base how well a series is doing based solely on twitch streams. the reason it might have seemed to be dying before was because of this big drought in content, but now with outpost discovery, the new map to hw2, renegades, and many anticipating some kind of trailer or news for infinite at E3, I think halo has a franchise is starting to pull itself back up a little.

J Teeps wrote:
Halo 5 was, by far and away, the most financially successful Halo in the series history. Definitely not dying from a business case perspective.

I prefer 'cosmetic only' micro-transactions to DLC map packs 10 times over. I have purchased every DLC map pack in Halo's history, and finding a game on them is nearly impossible most the time (all players have to own them). It makes a lot more money, too.

Halo will not die, I think it will build population once HI is released. Most games 'die down' a bit after over 3 years. It will be fine (:
correct me if I'm wrong but didn't halo 5 have the lowest number of sales out of all the halo games?
It had the lowest sales (of the FPS games), but it made the most money because of the microtransactions.
Well that's depressing, makes it pretty clear what 343 and Microsoft might prioritize
ShotAces wrote:
no it isn't don't base how well a series is doing based solely on twitch streams. the reason it might have seemed to be dying before was because of this big drought in content, but now with outpost discovery, the new map to hw2, renegades, and many anticipating some kind of trailer or news for infinite at E3, I think halo has a franchise is starting to pull itself back up a little.

J Teeps wrote:
Halo 5 was, by far and away, the most financially successful Halo in the series history. Definitely not dying from a business case perspective.

I prefer 'cosmetic only' micro-transactions to DLC map packs 10 times over. I have purchased every DLC map pack in Halo's history, and finding a game on them is nearly impossible most the time (all players have to own them). It makes a lot more money, too.

Halo will not die, I think it will build population once HI is released. Most games 'die down' a bit after over 3 years. It will be fine (:
correct me if I'm wrong but didn't halo 5 have the lowest number of sales out of all the halo games?
It had the lowest sales (of the FPS games), but it made the most money because of the microtransactions.
Well that's depressing, makes it pretty clear what 343 and Microsoft might prioritize
I would be fine with microtransactions as long as they don’t make the game pay to win. Just make them cosmetics or something. That way people like me, who don’t care, can have free map packs, vehicle additions, DLCs in general (maybe even free campaign dlc).

i would want the microtransactions to be exactly like H5, because that way if I don’t want the game to be pay to win, then I can just avoid Warzone.
ShotAces wrote:
ShotAces wrote:
no it isn't don't base how well a series is doing based solely on twitch streams. the reason it might have seemed to be dying before was because of this big drought in content, but now with outpost discovery, the new map to hw2, renegades, and many anticipating some kind of trailer or news for infinite at E3, I think halo has a franchise is starting to pull itself back up a little.

J Teeps wrote:
Halo 5 was, by far and away, the most financially successful Halo in the series history. Definitely not dying from a business case perspective.

I prefer 'cosmetic only' micro-transactions to DLC map packs 10 times over. I have purchased every DLC map pack in Halo's history, and finding a game on them is nearly impossible most the time (all players have to own them). It makes a lot more money, too.

Halo will not die, I think it will build population once HI is released. Most games 'die down' a bit after over 3 years. It will be fine (:
correct me if I'm wrong but didn't halo 5 have the lowest number of sales out of all the halo games?
It had the lowest sales (of the FPS games), but it made the most money because of the microtransactions.
Well that's depressing, makes it pretty clear what 343 and Microsoft might prioritize
I would be fine with microtransactions as long as they don’t make the game pay to win. Just make them cosmetics or something. That way people like me, who don’t care, can have free map packs, vehicle additions, DLCs in general (maybe even free campaign dlc).

i would want the microtransactions to be exactly like H5, because that way if I don’t want the game to be pay to win, then I can just avoid Warzone.
Honestly I wouldn't mind how the req packs are handled if it wasnt randomizing the armor sets
ShotAces wrote:
ShotAces wrote:
no it isn't don't base how well a series is doing based solely on twitch streams. the reason it might have seemed to be dying before was because of this big drought in content, but now with outpost discovery, the new map to hw2, renegades, and many anticipating some kind of trailer or news for infinite at E3, I think halo has a franchise is starting to pull itself back up a little.

J Teeps wrote:
Halo 5 was, by far and away, the most financially successful Halo in the series history. Definitely not dying from a business case perspective.

I prefer 'cosmetic only' micro-transactions to DLC map packs 10 times over. I have purchased every DLC map pack in Halo's history, and finding a game on them is nearly impossible most the time (all players have to own them). It makes a lot more money, too.

Halo will not die, I think it will build population once HI is released. Most games 'die down' a bit after over 3 years. It will be fine (:
correct me if I'm wrong but didn't halo 5 have the lowest number of sales out of all the halo games?
It had the lowest sales (of the FPS games), but it made the most money because of the microtransactions.
Well that's depressing, makes it pretty clear what 343 and Microsoft might prioritize
I would be fine with microtransactions as long as they don’t make the game pay to win. Just make them cosmetics or something. That way people like me, who don’t care, can have free map packs, vehicle additions, DLCs in general (maybe even free campaign dlc).

i would want the microtransactions to be exactly like H5, because that way if I don’t want the game to be pay to win, then I can just avoid Warzone.
Honestly I wouldn't mind how the req packs are handled if it wasnt randomizing the armor sets
It has sold over 5 million copies by 2016, not sure the final figures. Made the most money for a lifespan, after a couple months (crazy).

I love the req system compared to the DLC map packs of yesteryear. Nothing was worse than NEVER getting the maps I paid for. If it makes the most money, and it's cosmetic only... It's the best of all worlds for me as a fan. Paid DLC maps were awful. Did I buy them day 1? Sure. Did I ever get to play them? Nope.
Apex is killing Fortnite, no Halo
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2