Skip to main content

Forums / Community / General Discussion

Are we getting too much influenced by Youtubers?

OP RedMangabey

  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 13
I did not have an opinion on The Month of Mythic, since I watched some Halo youtubers and heard their opinions.
And I think I am not the only one who does that, this week, for example I have seen a lot of people linking videos of Halo youtubers as a base reference for their opinions.

My question is: are we getting too much influenced by Halo youtubers? Are we giving them too much power?
What I mean is that they reflect some of the community opinions, which is great in some extent, but I have seen on the comment section in their videos things like "agreed 100%, 343 is killing halo" or "Halo 5 is bad in all aspects" or even "let's flame waypoint now!", and that is what bothers me so much. People just agree with them without criticizing when they are just hating, when they say the Storm Rifle is bad because it do not seems to fire plasma shots (which it isn't true) or Halo 5 is bad because it hasn't blood anymore or "people left Halo 5 because it doesn't appeal to a military shooter audience anymore".

This kind of argument is creating too much radical opinions here on Halo Waypoint and I think it is bad. We should just analyse criticaly when they are talking things that makes sense and when they aren't.

And you, what you think about this?

*please, apology my grammar errors...
I've come to the conclusion that a lot of people don't think for themselves. I ask for evidence or an argument and I get linked to a video. For some reason I fail to grasp some people on the forums treat these guys as authorities.
My options and thoughts are my own, however it just so happens that some of these YouTubers say exactly what I am thinking and it's just easier to send a link, YouTubers like Favyn actually use logic and reason as well as facts to back up their arguments, while others avoid anything negative about Halo altogether. All I'm saying is that I have heard very few good arguments for a lot of the things I dislike in 343s games and the ones I have heard can be disproven or fixed easily using facts, logic, and reason.
I think people took the Month of Mythic a bit too far. (I don't support it)
I feel some youtubers for halo 5 have this idea that the way they think halo should be should be catered but at the same time don't care if it means not having what others want when halo has always been about all of them or as near to it.

The way some of them express their opinion is offencive to say the least if you disagree. Where they'll say your a moron, stop playing halo, go kill your self and just generally try and make you feel -Yoinky.

Some think they have more influence than they do thinking they can make you change your mind on your opinion to some thing that is far from your own
If you let someone elses' opinion affect your own, that's sad.
Always make sure to have your own opinion and mindset, people can help open your eyes in some situations, but never let someones words just change how you think about something.
Youtubers like Fayvn and The Act Man made videos about the new "Month of Mythic" and the problems it causes, and I 100% agree with them, if these packs are successful, they're gonna keep coming back and possibly plague Halo 6, and we DON'T want that
Celestis wrote:
Yeah there are a bunch of pleabs in the Halo community as a whole that hate because it's the popular thing to do. Develop your own opinions people. H5 is a great game with its own style of gameplay compared to other shooters... If other shooters are highly vertical in movement, H5 is much more lateral and grounded, for example.
Idk guys, just enjoy the game... I have a lot of fun with it. It's the most fun I've had with Halo in years, and by some of the complaints around here and on other forums, it's like I'm not even playing the same game as some of you people.
Clearly you aren't, when you claim that H5G has "its own style of gameplay compared to other shooters" with a straigh face...
Honestly, you're sounding pretty ignorant right now... describe to me HOW does it not?
By being a straight ripoff of every "modern fad shooter" out there right now?
Movement mechanics like sprint, vaulting and slide are 1:1 copied from Call of Duty. So is ADS.
Bots in multiplayer as well as the burncards are directly lifted from Titanfall.
Bosses in Warzone are so blatantly and shamelessly stolen from Destiny, to the point that even the interface looks identical. (Downward-pointing yellow triangle with a black skull in it next to the yellow health bar on the right? Coincidence?)
The differences to other contemporary shooters are miniscule.
I've linked some videos in the past. This doesn't mean that they influence me too much, I watch their content and share it because myself and (examples: Favyn and Act Man) think like minded-ly.
IMO the 2 most influential youtubers right now are Luke Thenotable and Proximitty.

They do not have the viewership of Fayne or RUL or Hallofollower etc. But they affect the game more than anyone else.

Why? Becuase they both are primarily tips videos for newer players, while most other youtubers are making videos to hate on halo for views these guys are trying to teach players how to be better. They are heavily influencing the new to halo community. I don't think that's a bad thing.

They both may make the occasional opinion video, I just hope that all those players know that while watching either of these youtubers can provide you with some good ground work to improve your game when they give their take on the state of halo it is nothing more than opinion. LTNs latest video on the mythic pack was funny, but it was pure opinion, one that should hold no more weight than yours on mine.

I hate it when Dbibbins or wpnsgrade videos are linked to prove an opinion. I am entertained by both proximitty and LTN, occasionaly I watch one of their game reviews where they point out a mistake im prone to make. That affects me, I will try to fix that mistake although I've played halo a very long time and it's tough for me to get kinks out of my game due to habbits. I will not however start to hate halo 5 if one day LTN or proximitty decide that halo 5 is trash and spend the rest of their youtube career bashing it.

No youtuber should ever affect your opinion of anything. They are there to spark conversation and have a comments section for discussion. Entertainment purposes only.
IMO the 2 most influential youtubers right now are Luke Thenotable and Proximitty.

They do not have the viewership of Fayne or RUL or Hallofollower etc. But they affect the game more than anyone else.

Why? Becuase they both are primarily tips videos for newer players, while most other youtubers are making videos to hate on halo for views these guys are trying to teach players how to be better. They are heavily influencing the new to halo community. I don't think that's a bad thing.

They both may make the occasional opinion video, I just hope that all those players know that while watching either of these youtubers can provide you with some good ground work to improve your game when they give their take on the state of halo it is nothing more than opinion. LTNs latest video on the mythic pack was funny, but it was pure opinion, one that should hold no more weight than yours on mine.

I hate it when Dbibbins or wpnsgrade videos are linked to prove an opinion. I am entertained by both proximitty and LTN, occasionaly I watch one of their game reviews where they point out a mistake im prone to make. That affects me, I will try to fix that mistake although I've played halo a very long time and it's tough for me to get kinks out of my game due to habbits. I will not however start to hate halo 5 if one day LTN or proximitty decide that halo 5 is trash and spend the rest of their youtube career bashing it.

No youtuber should ever affect your opinion of anything. They are there to spark conversation and have a comments section for discussion. Entertainment purposes only.
I disagree with the Luke TheNotable video about the Phophets Bane pack, but man, this video is so damn funny... I think that's why he gave up making "controversial" videos, because people are too toxic on the comments section.
My problem with You Tubers isn't the content so much its their clickbaty -Yoink- titles they put on their videos "WTF 343 ANTICHRIST LUMINATY CONFIRMED !!!!!". I can just feel my brain cells committing seppuku on the spot whenever I read a title like that.

The content is also an issue, a lot of you tubers come across as rabid idiots who seem to have done little to no research and are just reacting to a statement. That in turn causes the comments section to turn into a stew of super cancer.

There are a few exceptions tho.

A You Tuber I greatly respect is B Dobbins. I don't agree with a lot of his points but I do enjoy hearing his opinion.

At first I thought he was more of the same, he comes across aggressively and seems a little arrogant. But even though I probably wouldn't like him if I met him, he presents his case very well and has obviously taken time and care to actually produce the video instead of just vomiting verbal faeces.
I simply don't click in this click bait title videos with caps activated. Because I know it is just an arrogant video.
Kyle Vert wrote:
If you let someone elses' opinion affect your own, that's sad.
Always make sure to have your own opinion and mindset, people can help open your eyes in some situations, but never let someones words just change how you think about something.
Youtubers like Fayvn and The Act Man made videos about the new "Month of Mythic" and the problems it causes, and I 100% agree with them, if these packs are successful, they're gonna keep coming back and possibly plague Halo 6, and we DON'T want that
No, actually there is a group of people who want those things and those people will continue to support that. Think about it.
Youtubers were bashed for not criticizing Halo when it needed to be, now they are criticizing and apparently they are in the wrong.
They aren't wrong on doing it. If 343 is giving attention to the real problems Halo is facing right now, we are fine. I just don't like they becoming an argument of authority.
I understand where you are coming from and I wouldn't like a channel like Halo Follower for instance having to much authority but for the most part some of the Youtubers are correct on many issues.

The fact that we can just ignore there opinion or assume they re immediately wrong because they are Halo Youtubers isn't a heathy thing for the community especially since each of them are a large voice that 343 obviously pay attention to.

As long as they point out both the flaws and constructive solutions to Halos problems then there voices should be heard.
tbh, the latest Halofollower video about the mythic pack is very coherent imo. He pointed out a problem without making videos titles like "I'M DONE WITH HALO 5" , "THE TRUTH ABOUT...", he made it in a constructive way, so that's fine.
Hotrod192 wrote:
There are dome YouTube, namely The Act Man, with whom I do pretty much agree 100%, while there are others with whom I do not. The thing is, I already felt those things said by The Act Man long before I even heard of him, and his videos did nothing to change my opinions of 343i and Halo 5. To me, it's just nice to see somebody who shares my point of view be able to put some serious thought and analysis behind that point of view and share it with the masses.
The funny thing is The act man has the same opinion as you, not you have the same opinion as The act man. See the difference?
I think so. I believe what you're saying is that I found that he shared my opinion after I watched his videos, rather than making my opinion after being influenced by him. Is that what you're saying?
Youtubers were bashed for not criticizing Halo when it needed to be, now they are criticizing and apparently they are in the wrong.
They aren't wrong on doing it. If 343 is giving attention to the real problems Halo is facing right now, we are fine. I just don't like they becoming an argument of authority.
I understand where you are coming from and I wouldn't like a channel like Halo Follower for instance having to much authority but for the most part some of the Youtubers are correct on many issues.

The fact that we can just ignore there opinion or assume they re immediately wrong because they are Halo Youtubers isn't a heathy thing for the community especially since each of them are a large voice that 343 obviously pay attention to.

As long as they point out both the flaws and constructive solutions to Halos problems then there voices should be heard.
tbh, the latest Halofollower video about the mythic pack is very coherent imo. He pointed out a problem without making videos titles like "I'M DONE WITH HALO 5" , "THE TRUTH ABOUT...", he made it in a constructive way, so that's fine.
Agreed. Chris made a really great video about it, he mentioned that "it's not currently pay to win, but how could these packs hurt Halo in the future?", he explained a lot of things and he was pretty much correct 98% of the video
IMO the 2 most influential youtubers right now are Luke Thenotable and Proximitty.

They do not have the viewership of Fayne or RUL or Hallofollower etc. But they affect the game more than anyone else.
No idea who the second guy is, but I've seen LTN's videos. He's an self-entitled brat that does nothing but spew hatred and nonsense whenever somebody has a different opinion than him. If he really is one of the most influential youtubers, then we have a serious problem.
Hotrod192 wrote:
Hotrod192 wrote:
There are dome YouTube, namely The Act Man, with whom I do pretty much agree 100%, while there are others with whom I do not. The thing is, I already felt those things said by The Act Man long before I even heard of him, and his videos did nothing to change my opinions of 343i and Halo 5. To me, it's just nice to see somebody who shares my point of view be able to put some serious thought and analysis behind that point of view and share it with the masses.
The funny thing is The act man has the same opinion as you, not you have the same opinion as The act man. See the difference?
I think so. I believe what you're saying is that I found that he shared my opinion after I watched his videos, rather than making my opinion after being influenced by him. Is that what you're saying?
Yes.
I feel some youtubers for halo 5 have this idea that the way they think halo should be should be catered but at the same time don't care if it means not having what others want when halo has always been about all of them or as near to it.

The way some of them express their opinion is offencive to say the least if you disagree. Where they'll say your a moron, stop playing halo, go kill your self and just generally try and make you feel -Yoinky.

Some think they have more influence than they do thinking they can make you change your mind on your opinion to some thing that is far from your own
The problem is, is that 343 isn't catering to their Halo fan base, they have made two games on their own so far each one's population has plummeted within a year, this is something that Halo has never experienced up until now, why do you think that is? I can assure you it's not because people don't like Halo anymore, especially when there are plenty of people still willing to fight to return it to its former glory. It's not just about preference anymore it's about what worked and what sustained the population for long periods of time and that was classic gameplay and I'll just say what all the newer fans have been saying and add that if you don't like classic gameplay don't play it, there are plenty of classic fans to sustain the population above 30000 where Halo 5 currently flutters around on a good day.
I did not have an opinion on The Month of Mythic, since I watched some Halo youtubers and heard their opinions.
And I think I am not the only one who does that, this week, for example I have seen a lot of people linking videos of Halo youtubers as a base reference for their opinions.

My question is: are we getting too much influenced by Halo youtubers? Are we giving them too much power?
What I mean is that they reflect some of the community opinions, which is great in some extent, but I have seen on the comment section in their videos things like "agreed 100%, 343 is killing halo" or "Halo 5 is bad in all aspects" or even "let's flame waypoint now!", and that is what bothers me so much. People just agree with them without criticizing when they are just hating, when they say the Storm Rifle is bad because it do not seems to fire plasma shots (which it isn't true) or Halo 5 is bad because it hasn't blood anymore or "people left Halo 5 because it doesn't appeal to a military shooter audience anymore".

This kind of argument is creating too much radical opinions here on Halo Waypoint and I think it is bad. We should just analyse criticaly when they are talking things that makes sense and when they aren't.

And you, what you think about this?

*please, apology my grammar errors...
I've come to the conclusion that a lot of people don't think for themselves. I ask for evidence or an argument and I get linked to a video. For some reason I fail to grasp some people on the forums treat these guys as authorities.
My options and thoughts are my own, however it just so happens that some of these YouTubers say exactly what I am thinking and it's just easier to send a link, YouTubers like Favyn actually use logic and reason as well as facts to back up their arguments, while others avoid anything negative about Halo altogether. All I'm saying is that I have heard very few good arguments for a lot of the things I dislike in 343s games and the ones I have heard can be disproven or fixed easily using facts, logic, and reason.
opinions? Even if that is the case for you that isn't the trend I see on the forums. I ask for a reason someone gives me a link in an obvious case of an argument from improper authority fallacy. When one of these makes a video and 18 threads pop up, often including positions counter to ones they've previously stated what is one supposed to think? People cite you tube videos the same way a sane person would cite peer reviewed journal articles. Take the month of mythic thing. Two dozen threads pop up at roughly the same time claiming this is pay-to-win. Well yeah, we've known that for 11 months. Where was all this rage eleven months ago? Why does it being pay-to-win suddenly matter? I've had the same position about the req system since day one, it's a bad idea that has been implemented well. It isn't an awareness issue when I see the same bad arguments repeated? When you ask someone a questions about their views and they link you to someone else's what is someone supposed to think?
Celestis wrote:
Celestis wrote:
Yeah there are a bunch of pleabs in the Halo community as a whole that hate because it's the popular thing to do. Develop your own opinions people. H5 is a great game with its own style of gameplay compared to other shooters... If other shooters are highly vertical in movement, H5 is much more lateral and grounded, for example.

Idk guys, just enjoy the game... I have a lot of fun with it. It's the most fun I've had with Halo in years, and by some of the complaints around here and on other forums, it's like I'm not even playing the same game as some of you people.
Clearly you aren't, when you claim that H5G has "its own style of gameplay compared to other shooters" with a straigh face...
Honestly, you're sounding pretty ignorant right now... describe to me HOW does it not?
By being a straight ripoff of every "modern fad shooter" out there right now?
Movement mechanics like sprint, vaulting and slide are 1:1 copied from Call of Duty. So is ADS.
Bots in multiplayer as well as the burncards are directly lifted from Titanfall.
Bosses in Warzone are so blatantly and shamelessly stolen from Destiny, to the point that even the interface looks identical. (Downward-pointing yellow triangle with a black skull in it next to the yellow health bar? Coincidence?)
The differences to other contemporary shooters are miniscule.
Typical argument... and you know what? I used to say these things too before playing the H5 Beta and the final game. But let me ask you this...

How does Halo 5 actually PLAY? Does the gameplay feel like COD? Maybe if you play with LT zoom, I can see how it might feel like another game... but as a Recon player, RS zoom still feels like old Halo to me! Also the flow of the game, the player health traits, TTK's... it's still Halo! Weapons on map, no loadout starts. We aren't drop-shotting kids in Halo now, taking them out in .3 seconds with every gun in the game... Team-shotting is still a hugely important tactic... guns/grenades/melee is still the foundation of H5's gameplay.

Sure did they incorporate some similar ideas and mechanics? No doubt... but they were IMPLEMENTED differently in most cases, and if they weren't in the case with how some mechanics control, you can change the controls to be more traditional. Your "ADS" zoom also has to combat descope in H5 as well, and it doesn't affect movement speed or really make a giant leap of difference in accuracy as it does with COD... so it's not a 1:1 copy.

I'm just saying man, there are many ways to expose this weak argument. I mean all shooters have a jump button... Am I going to get mad the next time I miss a headshot for a Triple Kill because a guy jumped around the corner and defied my expectation like the way maybe another guy did in COD? ...and then say "Halo sucks" because of it? We've all been given the same weapons, mechanics, and abilities in-game, we just have to develop our sense in using them more effectively than the enemies to win. That is Halo in a nutshell, right there.

When I play Halo 5... it feels like I'm playing a Halo game, just with more options and abilities in combat. I don't run along and think "wow, this totally feels like Battlefield!" ..."or COD!" I suck at those games lol... but I'll wreck the average player in Halo, and that tells me that there are PLENTY of differences in all of these so-called "copy/pasted, similar games." They play TOTALLY differently...
Celestis wrote:
IMO the 2 most influential youtubers right now are Luke Thenotable and Proximitty.

They do not have the viewership of Fayne or RUL or Hallofollower etc. But they affect the game more than anyone else.
No idea who the second guy is, but I've seen LTN's videos. He's an self-entitled brat that does nothing but spew hatred and nonsense whenever somebody has a different opinion than him. If he really is one of the most influential youtubers, then we have a serious problem.
Well, I like Lukethenotable because he does awesome halo tips and tricks, but what I have seen lately is he is not going to do videos about controversial topics to not pick up fights against his audience.
I did not have an opinion on The Month of Mythic, since I watched some Halo youtubers and heard their opinions.
And I think I am not the only one who does that, this week, for example I have seen a lot of people linking videos of Halo youtubers as a base reference for their opinions.

My question is: are we getting too much influenced by Halo youtubers? Are we giving them too much power?
What I mean is that they reflect some of the community opinions, which is great in some extent, but I have seen on the comment section in their videos things like "agreed 100%, 343 is killing halo" or "Halo 5 is bad in all aspects" or even "let's flame waypoint now!", and that is what bothers me so much. People just agree with them without criticizing when they are just hating, when they say the Storm Rifle is bad because it do not seems to fire plasma shots (which it isn't true) or Halo 5 is bad because it hasn't blood anymore or "people left Halo 5 because it doesn't appeal to a military shooter audience anymore".

This kind of argument is creating too much radical opinions here on Halo Waypoint and I think it is bad. We should just analyse criticaly when they are talking things that makes sense and when they aren't.

And you, what you think about this?

*please, apology my grammar errors...
I've come to the conclusion that a lot of people don't think for themselves. I ask for evidence or an argument and I get linked to a video. For some reason I fail to grasp some people on the forums treat these guys as authorities.
My options and thoughts are my own, however it just so happens that some of these YouTubers say exactly what I am thinking and it's just easier to send a link, YouTubers like Favyn actually use logic and reason as well as facts to back up their arguments, while others avoid anything negative about Halo altogether. All I'm saying is that I have heard very few good arguments for a lot of the things I dislike in 343s games and the ones I have heard can be disproven or fixed easily using facts, logic, and reason.
opinions? Even if that is the case for you that isn't the trend I see on the forums. I ask for a reason someone gives me a link in an obvious case of an argument from improper authority fallacy. When one of these makes a video and 18 threads pop up, often including positions counter to ones they've previously stated what is one supposed to think? People cite you tube videos the same way a sane person would cite peer reviewed journal articles. Take the month of mythic thing. Two dozen threads pop up at roughly the same time claiming this is pay-to-win. Well yeah, we've known that for 11 months. Where was all this rage eleven months ago? Why does it being pay-to-win suddenly matter? I've had the same position about the req system since day one, it's a bad idea that has been implemented well. It isn't an awareness issue when I see the same bad arguments repeated? When you ask someone a questions about their views and they link you to someone else's what is someone supposed to think?
While I can only speak for myself in this matter, I know from experience that I have typed out a very long and lengthy response to somebody's comment often times and never reply or even read it simply because they don't care, that's why I believe people are just using links now because it is shorter and easier than writing for 20 minutes for absolutely nothing.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 13