Skip to main content

Forums / Community / General Discussion

Are we getting too much influenced by Youtubers?

OP RedMangabey

  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. ...
  9. 13
Celestis wrote:
IMO the 2 most influential youtubers right now are Luke Thenotable and Proximitty.

They do not have the viewership of Fayne or RUL or Hallofollower etc. But they affect the game more than anyone else.
No idea who the second guy is, but I've seen LTN's videos. He's an self-entitled brat that does nothing but spew hatred and nonsense whenever somebody has a different opinion than him. If he really is one of the most influential youtubers, then we have a serious problem.
I liked LTN's video, I thought it was funny, i'm not gonna hate him because I disagree with him. Proximitty, I don't like him
I did not have an opinion on The Month of Mythic, since I watched some Halo youtubers and heard their opinions.
And I think I am not the only one who does that, this week, for example I have seen a lot of people linking videos of Halo youtubers as a base reference for their opinions.

My question is: are we getting too much influenced by Halo youtubers? Are we giving them too much power?
What I mean is that they reflect some of the community opinions, which is great in some extent, but I have seen on the comment section in their videos things like "agreed 100%, 343 is killing halo" or "Halo 5 is bad in all aspects" or even "let's flame waypoint now!", and that is what bothers me so much. People just agree with them without criticizing when they are just hating, when they say the Storm Rifle is bad because it do not seems to fire plasma shots (which it isn't true) or Halo 5 is bad because it hasn't blood anymore or "people left Halo 5 because it doesn't appeal to a military shooter audience anymore".

This kind of argument is creating too much radical opinions here on Halo Waypoint and I think it is bad. We should just analyse criticaly when they are talking things that makes sense and when they aren't.

And you, what you think about this?

*please, apology my grammar errors...
I've come to the conclusion that a lot of people don't think for themselves. I ask for evidence or an argument and I get linked to a video. For some reason I fail to grasp some people on the forums treat these guys as authorities.
My options and thoughts are my own, however it just so happens that some of these YouTubers say exactly what I am thinking and it's just easier to send a link, YouTubers like Favyn actually use logic and reason as well as facts to back up their arguments, while others avoid anything negative about Halo altogether. All I'm saying is that I have heard very few good arguments for a lot of the things I dislike in 343s games and the ones I have heard can be disproven or fixed easily using facts, logic, and reason.
opinions? Even if that is the case for you that isn't the trend I see on the forums. I ask for a reason someone gives me a link in an obvious case of an argument from improper authority fallacy. When one of these makes a video and 18 threads pop up, often including positions counter to ones they've previously stated what is one supposed to think? People cite you tube videos the same way a sane person would cite peer reviewed journal articles. Take the month of mythic thing. Two dozen threads pop up at roughly the same time claiming this is pay-to-win. Well yeah, we've known that for 11 months. Where was all this rage eleven months ago? Why does it being pay-to-win suddenly matter? I've had the same position about the req system since day one, it's a bad idea that has been implemented well. It isn't an awareness issue when I see the same bad arguments repeated? When you ask someone a questions about their views and they link you to someone else's what is someone supposed to think?
While I can only speak for myself in this matter, I know from experience that I have typed out a very long and lengthy response to somebody's comment often times and never reply or even read it simply because they don't care, that's why I believe people are just using links now because it is shorter and easier than writing for 20 minutes for absolutely nothing.
And if I am ever in a position where my opinion is the same as another person's opinion it would be a genuine first. I can back up my thoughts, I can examine why I believe what I believe. And it is through that process that we can get closer to what is actually true or real. If I have a flaw in my premises or logic I want to know so that I can know what is correct. Parroting someone else's opinions or providing a link as an escape hatch prevents that. The point of the forums is to have a conversation and provide feedback to 343. What kind of conversation can you actually have linking to someone else's opinion?
Hotrod192 wrote:
Hotrod192 wrote:
There are dome YouTube, namely The Act Man, with whom I do pretty much agree 100%, while there are others with whom I do not. The thing is, I already felt those things said by The Act Man long before I even heard of him, and his videos did nothing to change my opinions of 343i and Halo 5. To me, it's just nice to see somebody who shares my point of view be able to put some serious thought and analysis behind that point of view and share it with the masses.
The funny thing is The act man has the same opinion as you, not you have the same opinion as The act man. See the difference?
I think so. I believe what you're saying is that I found that he shared my opinion after I watched his videos, rather than making my opinion after being influenced by him. Is that what you're saying?
Yes.
Alright, but I don't see the issue with people being influenced and having their opinions change based on the arguments of a Youtuber. If somebody comes up to be and explains their point of view on something with good information backing them up, then I think it is only right that any open-minded person would consider what they have to say, and even shift their perspective because of it.

If people just come and say "Halo 5's campaign is amazing because I don't care about the story and didn't pay attention", and completely disregard what anybody else says about the matter, I would say that it's a bad thing, more so than taking in the opinion of another.
I feel some youtubers for halo 5 have this idea that the way they think halo should be should be catered but at the same time don't care if it means not having what others want when halo has always been about all of them or as near to it.

The way some of them express their opinion is offencive to say the least if you disagree. Where they'll say your a moron, stop playing halo, go kill your self and just generally try and make you feel -Yoinky.

Some think they have more influence than they do thinking they can make you change your mind on your opinion to some thing that is far from your own
The problem is, is that 343 isn't catering to their Halo fan base, they have made two games on their own so far each one's population has plummeted within a year, this is something that Halo has never experienced up until now, why do you think that is? I can assure you it's not because people don't like Halo anymore, especially when there are plenty of people still willing to fight to return it to its former glory. It's not just about preference anymore it's about what worked and what sustained the population for long periods of time and that was classic gameplay and I'll just say what all the newer fans have been saying and add that if you don't like classic gameplay don't play it, there are plenty of classic fans to sustain the population above 30000 where Halo 5 currently flutters around on a good day.
I thought halo 4 died because they removed the majority of good playlist. That was the reason I stopped playing. it was like they wanted people to stop.

i don't understand what you mean by newer fans and classic gameplay because they would have no idea what that is and if they do they're not really new.

All halo 5 is, is pretty much classic and I don't enjoy it. It's not what I think of when I think of halo but it doesn't make the game that bad but the only reason I still play is the fact I own the game and can't trade it in. I've never felt like this about a series I liked and question if I should still be following it
Celestis wrote:
IMO the 2 most influential youtubers right now are Luke Thenotable and Proximitty.

They do not have the viewership of Fayne or RUL or Hallofollower etc. But they affect the game more than anyone else.
No idea who the second guy is, but I've seen LTN's videos. He's an self-entitled brat that does nothing but spew hatred and nonsense whenever somebody has a different opinion than him. If he really is one of the most influential youtubers, then we have a serious problem.
I just want to talk about the "spew hatred and nonsense" part of your reply.

Just a few posts prior you posted this in reply to a poster who stated to have his own opinion.

"Clearly you aren't, when you claim that H5G has "its own style of gameplay compared to other shooters" with a straight face..."

Thats your reply to someone who doesn't share the same opinion you do, then you criticize LTN for his actions in the same situation. Can you see the irony here?
Youtubers were bashed for not criticizing Halo when it needed to be, now they are criticizing and apparently they are in the wrong.
They aren't wrong on doing it. If 343 is giving attention to the real problems Halo is facing right now, we are fine. I just don't like they becoming an argument of authority.
I understand where you are coming from and I wouldn't like a channel like Halo Follower for instance having to much authority but for the most part some of the Youtubers are correct on many issues.

The fact that we can just ignore there opinion or assume they re immediately wrong because they are Halo Youtubers isn't a heathy thing for the community especially since each of them are a large voice that 343 obviously pay attention to.

As long as they point out both the flaws and constructive solutions to Halos problems then there voices should be heard.
tbh, the latest Halofollower video about the mythic pack is very coherent imo. He pointed out a problem without making videos titles like "I'M DONE WITH HALO 5" , "THE TRUTH ABOUT...", he made it in a constructive way, so that's fine.
Surprisingly he did make a decent video for once so I will give him that.
Typical argument... and you know what? I used to say these things too before playing the H5 Beta and the final game. But let me ask you this...

How does Halo 5 actually PLAY? Does the gameplay feel like COD? Maybe if you play with LT zoom, I can see how it might feel like another game... but as a Recon player, RS zoom still feels like old Halo to me! Also the flow of the game, the player health traits, TTK's... it's still Halo! Weapons on map, no loadout starts. We aren't drop-shotting kids in Halo now, taking them out in .3 seconds with every gun in the game... Team-shotting is still a hugely important tactic... guns/grenades/melee is still the foundation of H5's gameplay.

Sure did they incorporate some similar ideas and mechanics? No doubt... but they were IMPLEMENTED differently in most cases, and if they weren't in the case with how some mechanics control, you can change the controls to be more traditional. Your "ADS" zoom also has to combat descope in H5 as well, and it doesn't affect movement speed or really make a giant leap of difference in accuracy as it does with COD... so it's not a 1:1 copy.

I'm just saying man, there are many ways to expose this weak argument. I mean all shooters have a jump button... Am I going to get mad the next time I miss a headshot for a Triple Kill because a guy jumped around the corner and defied my expectation like the way maybe another guy did in COD? ...and then say "Halo sucks" because of it? We've all been given the same weapons, mechanics, and abilities in-game, we just have to develop our sense in using them more effectively than the enemies to win. That is Halo in a nutshell, right there.

When I play Halo 5... it feels like I'm playing a Halo game, just with more options and abilities in combat. I don't run along and think "wow, this totally feels like Battlefield!" ..."or COD!" I suck at those games lol... but I'll wreck the average player in Halo, and that tells me that there are PLENTY of differences in all of these so-called "copy/pasted, similar games." They play TOTALLY differently...
I have no idea whether or not they feel like CoD or Battlefield, because I don't play CoD or Battlefield. The last CoD I played was MW2 (with disgust), the last Battlefield was Bad Company.
I can tell you that it felt almost identical to the Destiny beta (the only time I've ever touched this cash grab of a game), but considering who developed it, this was to be expected.
I still highly disagree that H5G has "its own style of gameplay compared to other shooters" when 90% of all the new mechanics are copypasted from their direct competitors. Having some slight adjustements to their function in order to avoid a lawsuit does not suddenly turn the gameplay on its head. Hence why I said, the differences are miniscule, not nonexistent.
However, I can say for a fact that it does not feel like "old Halo" to me.
I just want to talk about the "spew hatred and nonsense" part of your reply.
Just a few posts prior you posted this in reply to a poster who stated to have his own opinion.
"Clearly you aren't, when you claim that H5G has "its own style of gameplay compared to other shooters" with a straight face..."
Thats your reply to someone who doesn't share the same opinion you do, then you criticize LTN for his actions in the same situation. Can you see the irony here?
No, because I did back up my statement. LTN however does not.
Also, my post never included any "hatred". I stated that if he truly does think that H5G plays differently from its competitors, then we didn't play the same game. I didn't curse, and I didn't call anybody out. So no, I do not see myself doing the same things as LTN does.

EDIT: Although, technically I did call LTN himself out for spewing hatred and nonsense... hmm...
What? Do you want them to be blinded by the truth? It is a bias small community here in waypoint, the majority here is leaning "everything 343 do is perfect"; and it is only natural for these people to get mad when You Tubers tell their truthful opinion about Halo5. You don't silence/fix people that don't like the game, you fix the game.
oh my god ! your probably right ! I've seen like 10 videos on the month of mythic sucks! and stuff like that, and yes, they were form channels like halo follower, L.N.G>, etc. i can totally see this happening!!
Leafy and Ricegum do not play Halo to my knowledge :/
Valle522 wrote:
oh my god ! your probably right ! I've seen like 10 videos on the month of mythic sucks! and stuff like that, and yes, they were form channels like halo follower, L.N.G>, etc. i can totally see this happening!!
the whole purpose of playing halo5 is to get stuff, well you pay for it to avoid playing hours to get it. and I seriously doubt anyone will get lucky and open it in a RNG REQ pack this month. Pay-To-WIN! I will never buy another video game if they continue with these obscured money grabbing tactics. I would not have a problem spending money on DLC if a game was fully polished, but halo5 needs some repair but instead they are steady trying to sell us Halo swords, really? if 343 made Halo enjoyable for most everyone the Hatred would be less painful.
For the most part I enjoy watching these channels, but I think they have been becoming overly negative and hateful. Now I feel this isn't good for the community because they do influence a good portion of the community.

I also find it kinda funny that some of these youtubers liked the game and campaign in the beginning and now despise it. I very much enjoy lng and value his opinion, but he went from saying the campaign was beatiful, to it has a lot of issues but I don't mind cortana being the villian, to the campaign is a disgrace and contana being the villian is offensive to me as a fan. What's going on bro?
A philosopher named Sophocles used to walk around ancient Athens insulting anyone and anything. He said he was making the city better by making everyone feel that they needed to put in more work and strive to be even better. When they executed him, for doing this during wartime, he told them that they should be thanking him and buying him food for life. Just because you say something critical against something doesn't make you a hater.
Hotrod192 wrote:
Hotrod192 wrote:
Hotrod192 wrote:
There are dome YouTube, namely The Act Man, with whom I do pretty much agree 100%, while there are others with whom I do not. The thing is, I already felt those things said by The Act Man long before I even heard of him, and his videos did nothing to change my opinions of 343i and Halo 5. To me, it's just nice to see somebody who shares my point of view be able to put some serious thought and analysis behind that point of view and share it with the masses.
The funny thing is The act man has the same opinion as you, not you have the same opinion as The act man. See the difference?
I think so. I believe what you're saying is that I found that he shared my opinion after I watched his videos, rather than making my opinion after being influenced by him. Is that what you're saying?
Yes.
Alright, but I don't see the issue with people being influenced and having their opinions change based on the arguments of a Youtuber. If somebody comes up to be and explains their point of view on something with good information backing them up, then I think it is only right that any open-minded person would consider what they have to say, and even shift their perspective because of it.

If people just come and say "Halo 5's campaign is amazing because I don't care about the story and didn't pay attention", and completely disregard what anybody else says about the matter, I would say that it's a bad thing, more so than taking in the opinion of another.
There's nothing wrong with being influenced by youtubers. Like I said I made my opinion on the prophets bane pack through youtubers. What I'm trying to say is, most of the controversial videos are too aggressive in both sides, something like "if you don't like halo 5, go play Master Chief Collection" or "343 is incompetent, I'm leaving Halo for good". If people are linking these kinds of videos like if they were the final word for an argument, we are just making the discussion poor, aggressive, and radical, incentivizing youtubers to continuing doing so.
I don't really watch gaming YouTubers, so that's a no for me. Any opinion I have about Month of Mythic is my own without any outside influence.
Totally agree I hate a lot of the Halo youtubers because they will just bash a game they "love". And don't even get me started on latenightgaming.
I Think Your Getting Bash And Critism Confused
If I agree with the youtuber then cool... For example I agree with A LOT of what Act Man says, but not always. They won't in anyway affect me in say buying or not buying something, or liking or not liking something....
I did not have an opinion on The Month of Mythic, since I watched some Halo youtubers and heard their opinions.
And I think I am not the only one who does that, this week, for example I have seen a lot of people linking videos of Halo youtubers as a base reference for their opinions.

My question is: are we getting too much influenced by Halo youtubers? Are we giving them too much power?
What I mean is that they reflect some of the community opinions, which is great in some extent, but I have seen on the comment section in their videos things like "agreed 100%, 343 is killing halo" or "Halo 5 is bad in all aspects" or even "let's flame waypoint now!", and that is what bothers me so much. People just agree with them without criticizing when they are just hating, when they say the Storm Rifle is bad because it do not seems to fire plasma shots (which it isn't true) or Halo 5 is bad because it hasn't blood anymore or "people left Halo 5 because it doesn't appeal to a military shooter audience anymore".

This kind of argument is creating too much radical opinions here on Halo Waypoint and I think it is bad. We should just analyse criticaly when they are talking things that makes sense and when they aren't.

And you, what you think about this?

*please, apology my grammar errors...
A YouTuber only spreads the word of news or controversy. You tubers shouldn't influence your opinions or beliefs. They are the messenger. Plus, youtubers never tell you need to agree with everything they're saying. Keep on believing what you believe; be yourself!
Personally i think that the more opinions the better. Not every one of these youtubers have the same ides. Take The Act Man, Loves the Classic Halo and thinks halo can do better by enhancing core mechanics .And not adding mechanics that make the game more RANDOM. Late Night Gaming likes the modern mechanics but thinks that they can be done in a better way and talks about the games problems. Ultimate Halo likes sprint to the extent that he made a video saying that "you don't have to sprint if you don"t like it". I'm not talking for any of these youtubers but these opinions are what i've seen out of these youtubers after watching many of their videos.

So yeah maybe some of us are being influenced by some youtubers. But if we surround ourselves with other viewpoints our opinions and ideas can only become stronger and more factual.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. ...
  9. 13